Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Starting QB 2019???

Renegade7

Who should be the starting QB in 2019???  

402 members have voted

1. 1. Who should be the starting QB in 2019???

• Alex Smith
    • Colt McCoy
    • Trade for a Veteran
    • Sign a Veteran
    • First Round Pick (2019 draft class)
    • Non-First Round Pick (2019 draft class)
    • Too Early to Answer
    • I don't know yet
    • We're screwed (at least at QB for 2019)

If Josh Rosen is traded to the New York Giants before the draft, it will apparently be for a discounted price.

The Giants aren't interested in sending either of their first-round picks (No. 6, No. 17) to the Arizona Cardinals for the young quarterback and might even consider their second-rounder (No. 37) off-limits, sources told SNY's Ralph Vacchiano.

The NFC East team has reportedly discussed acquiring Rosen, who was selected 10th overall last year, but doesn't believe its third-round pick (No. 95) would be enough for Arizona.

Vacchiano added that the Giants' biggest issue with Rosen is his personality, which is perceived as arrogant and stands in stark contrast to the media-friendly Eli Manning.

The Cardinals own the No. 1 overall pick in the upcoming draft and are widely expected to take quarterback Kyler Murray, which would effectively end Rosen's short time as Arizona's franchise player.

https://www.thescore.com/nfl/news/1754592?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Josh Rosen trade makes sense for Redskins -- but not at all costs

If the Arizona Cardinals want to trade quarterback Josh Rosen, the Washington Redskins must pounce. He makes too much sense for too many reasons, and they have needed that position filled for way too long.

That doesn't mean they should get him at all costs. But there aren't many good reasons they shouldn't pursue this QB. Even after trading for Case Keenum, who will battle with Colt McCoy for the starting job, the Redskins need a quarterback of the future. Alex Smith's injury leaves his playing future in doubt.

There are several quarterbacks the Redskins like in this NFL draft, including some they would take with their first-round pick at No. 15 overall. There are some they might like in the second round and a couple they like later in the draft. So if the price tag for Rosen is too high -- say, for their first-round pick -- they won't bite, nor should they.

But a third-rounder? No-brainer. A second? It'll take some convincing, but it shouldn't be a deterrent -- and if the Redskins want, they can always recoup the lost pick by trading back in the first round.

Rosen is not a perfect prospect; there are questions about him that he won't be able to answer until he plays a while. That's why the Redskins have interest ... to a point. It's not yet at a serious stage in terms of making a move, but Rosen still makes sense for Washington for these reasons:

...Fits coach Jay Gruden: Smith was a strong leader, but there was frustration in the first half of the season with his lack of aggressiveness down the field. Rosen is not afraid to throw down the field and would please Gruden because he is more aggressive and has a mindset more suited for Gruden than Cousins did. Rosen does need to checkdown more often -- and Gruden would prefer that to forcing a ball or taking a sack.

Rosen completed 14 of 49 passes on throws of 20 or more air yards, but his attempts were 10th-most from Weeks 4 through 17, when he was Arizona's starter. His completion percentage ranked 26th, but that's also a function of the talent around him. The Redskins are well aware that he would need more help; they'll be seeking some.

Gruden's desire to use more play-action fits Rosen well, and ESPN's Dan Orlovsky said Gruden's West Coast system suits Rosen, who has played in a similar scheme.

But Orlovsky also said it doesn't make sense for the Redskins to trade a first-round pick for Rosen. He's right. The Redskins almost assuredly would agree. Orlovsky said other situations might make more sense: a team with an older quarterback who might surrender only a late first-round pick.

"Worst-case scenario, he's one of the better backup quarterbacks in the NFL for pennies on the dollar. Best-case scenario, I have literally stolen my next 10 years," Orlovsky said. "I just don't think he'll be there for a late second- or third-round pick."

http://www.espn.com/blog/washington-redskins/post/_/id/38344/josh-rosen-trade-makes-sense-for-redskins-but-not-at-all-costs

So since I'm procrastinating from something else, I went a bit down the rabbit hole.

What would people think about this:

To Arizona

1(15) and 5(173)

To Washington

2(33), 4(103) and Rosen

Points-wise on a draft chart (best thing I can use to guesstimate) would be about 400 points difference for Rosen, or pick 50 in the second round.  Skins would get dibs on day 2 and day 3 selections, with ample trade to get better trade value if they see fit. 

Yes we'd lose our 1st (and the 5th year option), but the overall would be same number of draft picks, just dropping into 2nd round. 

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

"Worst-case scenario, he's one of the better backup quarterbacks in the NFL for pennies on the dollar. Best-case scenario, I have literally stolen my next 10 years," Orlovsky said. "I just don't think he'll be there for a late second- or third-round pick."

That right there is arguably worth the risk of a 2nd rounder. 

An argument I have yet to see is the ol’ risk-reward comparisons beyond boom vs. bust. For instance, what makes most sense:

1) Rosen for a 2nd this year and a ‘20 3rd

2) A trade up fo Lock - likely a 1st + a 2nd or 3rd to trade up to #10. Ive been seeing most mocks ranking Lock higher than Haskins this week. 

3) Haskins at #15 with perhaps the need to trade up to #12, ahead of Miami

4) Jones for our 2nd?

6) Sell the farm for Murray, or

5) Grier, Stidham, or Finley for our 3rd?

For me, I’d lean towards Rosen for our 2nd because (2) and (3) and (6) mean we pass on a top notch edge. And selecting Jones at 2 puts us out of a top WR if we go edge with our 1st. 

I wonder if we could flip the latest trade offer rumor using a ‘19 3rd and a ‘20 2nd?  I think we can end up with a quality WR in this year’s 2nd. 

3 hours ago, bakedtater1 said:

So I went to profootballtalk.com and seen the article about Washington hosting thorson and there was a picture of him and it makes sense now why the Redskins are hosting him.. he has a beer belly it looks like!!

I went and looked up the article you mentioned. 

I'm pretty sure that's just some sort of extra padding, maybe ti prevent rib injuries or back or who knows. 

Do a Google image search and I can't see a single image that looks like he's carrying any unnecessary weight on him.

I wouldn't be as interested in Rosen if this QB class had more top tier prospects that weren't so boom or bust. IMO they all are, even Murray...he and Haskins are both 1 year wonders (impressive 1 year wonders, but 1 year wonders nonetheless). Lock definitely has more experience but his tape and numbers are very inconsistent. I'd much rather use a 2nd on Rosen than trade up for Lock or Haskins (Murray is way out of our price range, and the Cards are going to take him anyway most likely).

2 hours ago, redskinss said:

I went and looked up the article you mentioned. 

I'm pretty sure that's just some sort of extra padding, maybe ti prevent rib injuries or back or who knows. 

Do a Google image search and I can't see a single image that looks like he's carrying any unnecessary weight on him.

Ok ok yeah I probably was seeing things lol... Was just kind of hoping to continue the tradition of beer belly quarterbacks for us

1 minute ago, RWJ said:

Really believe it won't be until Thursday draft night or Friday when we find out who our next QB will be.  Just a guess.

They're saving it for 4/20

1 hour ago, bakedtater1 said:

Ok ok yeah I probably was seeing things lol... Was just kind of hoping to continue the tradition of beer belly quarterbacks for us

They're saving it for 4/20

I think you’re right.  Bruce Allen will take the podium, fire up a spliff, and announce we’ve traded for Jacque Rosen.

Worst case scenario is not a high quality backup for pennies on the dollar...

If Allen trades a 2/3rd for a second consecutive year, and he fails, Allen will be fired. Gruden will be fired. And New GM will select a new coaching staff the following season. Rinse and repeat. Rosen will now be on his 3rd offensive system and 3rd different head coach in 3 years in the NFL. This doesn’t include the coaching changes in college. Very few people will succeeed in that situation, nor would the new GM/Coach choose to risk their new job and reputation under these pretenses unless that guy had already proven himself. If Rosen is brought in and fails next year, pennies on the dollar will be moot because he will be replaced by the new head coach/gm. 

Gruden’s ( and Allen’s) best option is drafting a quarterback this year, and giving him the best tools to put up a successful season. It doesn’t matter which round he is drafted; just that the organization attempts to build and plan around this young quarterbacks’ skill set. Success with a drafted qb this year is measured in wins or future potential. Trading for a second consecutive year immediately forgoes the measurement of future potential. 

1 hour ago, mojo said:

I think you’re right.  Bruce Allen will take the podium, fire up a spliff, and announce we’ve traded for Jacque Rosen.

Seeee.. great minds think alike.

1 hour ago, Renegade7 said:

It's gonna be Keenum if Haskins doesn't drop. May God have mercy on our souls...

AP and DG all day Bay Bay..

19 minutes ago, bakedtater1 said:

AP and DG all day Bay Bay..

I agree, i just hope DG didn't lose a step. Also, I don't think keenum is honestly as bad as people think. Granted i dont think hes as good as the FO probably thinks.

Just saw the Redskins are hosting Kyler Murray next.

On Keim's podcast he interviewed an Arizona reporter who thinks they move Rosen but not until draft day. He thinks they think they might get teams that day feeling more desperate if they didn't get their targeted qbs.

Saw Mike Garafalo say that he checked around and discovered the market for Rosen is somewhat cool, it's not hot right now.

Archived