Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Starting QB 2019???

Renegade7

Who should be the starting QB in 2019???  

402 members have voted

1. 1. Who should be the starting QB in 2019???

• Alex Smith
    • Colt McCoy
    • Trade for a Veteran
    • Sign a Veteran
    • First Round Pick (2019 draft class)
    • Non-First Round Pick (2019 draft class)
    • Too Early to Answer
    • I don't know yet
    • We're screwed (at least at QB for 2019)

3 minutes ago, dyst said:

My biggest issue with Keenum is not his salary or what we gave up to get him. The problem is that if he starts, he is very likely to net us 6-8 wins, which continues our medicority.

How about trading #46 and Keenum to AZ for Rosen and 2020 #1?

Gives us ammo for next years draft it Rosen flames out....

My prediction, 2nd round pick in 2019 and Case Keenum for Josh Rosen 1 day before draft.  Cardinals will wait to be sure no one wows them to drop down to #1 (which they won't) and they draft Kyler Murray.  Both teams are happy with results.

maybe just wishful thinking.

Plenty o stuff to get us by till kick off..the folks moved in a new resident and she don't like loud noises..I already got the warning for the up coming season not to cheer as if I was in the stadium..I can't wait for the season and will be front n center cheering on my skins... already off to an interesting off season haha

4 minutes ago, panahoo said:

How about trading #46 and Keenum to AZ for Rosen and 2020 #1?

Gives us ammo for next years draft it Rosen flames out....

So what you’re saying is Keenum is worth a 2020 #1 and we got him for a swap of a 6th and 7th? 

20 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

My thing is not playing too safe, Alex was driving Jay crazy last year (I'm left field, but I believe he was gonna bench him), but we all saw Keenum tear us a new one the year before when he was a Viking.  That's why him failing in Denver has me so concerned, maybe we aren't done at QB this year, but recent history would suggest we are. 

I'd love our front office to cut Colt and this basically be a move for a new backup, I don't know if we're that intelligent, though.  There is serious potential here if we don't blow our wad to get AB, it just leaves the future as a question mark still and I'm tired of that as present goes to ****.

I thought the blog post circulating on twitter that made fun of Bruce for teasing with Rosen and then doing this trade instead was funny.   I also liked some of the posts here from people hating band aid approaches to building the team.  So I am with you in spirit as for being a critic of this FO.  On the aggregate I hate the idea of building the team to go on an 8-8 treadmill and hope to get lucky.  And I've posted plenty on that very subject so i am as hardcore as anyone on that.  And you won't find a bigger critic of Bruce on the board by me.  But I don't dislike every move he makes.  i complement the ones I like when they go down. 

And if I saw this as Jay and Bruce pumping their fists about how they are going to sneak into the playoffs now because of this move -- then I cringe at the thought in theory.  However, even if they are thinking that it still wouldn't bother me because I think they would be wrong.  With the roster the way its currently constructed, I don't think Keenum is sneaking this team into the playoffs.  I don't think Keenum helps preclude a crash that would lead to a 2020 reboot-rebuilding season.

But my larger point is its still in play that they take a QB high in the draft or trade for Rosen.  So its tough for me to project that this is their whole plan until I see it unfold as their whole plan.  But heck even if it is their whole plan -- I think it keeps them on the bullet train to a top 5 pick in next years draft or close enough and hopefully with Bruce out the door.

So to me its a win win.  Nothing to lose.

Realistically there aren't many options. Limited cap space and the 15th pick aren't good ammo for landing a starting QB. Keenum for a 6th/7th swap and 3.5 million is pretty damn cheap. 

Hard to be excited for Keenum though; he's serviceable on the surface but isn't a QB that can really deliver. He can seemingly make all the throws, has a mechanically sound play-action, can throw on the run, throw inside or outside the pocket, progress through his reads, etc. Yet, even though he can say scan the field and find his 3rd or 4th option he doesn't have great field vision or a great feel for where his WRs are. He also doesn't have a great feel for the pass rush or his blindside even though he is able to get outside the pocket and make a play. I feel like he'll be dogmeat with 6 games in the NFCE. 

1 minute ago, panahoo said:

Risen for 2020 #1 and 1/2 of #46. Keenum for the rest....

Sorry but that makes even less sense.   Maybe #46 and keenum for Rosen- no chance to sniff out anything else from the cards.  We’d be lucky to get a 7 back in that deal

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

even if they are done, I've been on the train for 2020 QBs anyway, so if it bombs and they have a bad season then so what?  

And that's my problem with it 

Case is good enough to keep us from having a horrible season .

A horrible season we need to have in order to draft a topflight QB.

While the Redskins were heavily rumored to be interested in Cardinals QB Josh Rosen, this deal does not take them out of the running.

"It does not mean Josh Rosen's out of play. It does not," Hoffman told 106.7 The Fan's Chad Dukes. "That, to me, was a huge deal in all of this. One of the first questions I started asking as I started to talk to people is, 'Why would you do this when Rosen's out there?'

"And the response I got back is, 'Rosen's still out there.' I think it's important from that perspective to understand the timing of this deal."

"If Kyler Murray goes and does something dumb, or gets hurt, or whatever, and all of a sudden Arizona's going, 'Oh my God. We can't take him 1,' they might hang on to Josh Rosen," he continued. "And not to mention, right now they cannot get a deal that they want.

"They do not want to do this for a third-round pick; they spent a first-rounder on him last year. And if that's all teams are offering, they're going to wait. They have all the power here."

https://thefandc.radio.com/redskins-acquire-case-keenum-in-trade-with-broncos

The Keenum thing makes sense to me. 

1. I wanted him so thanks Bruce and Doug for listening to this one fan. :D

2. Get Rosen and then make Keenum and Colt the backups. 

3. Don't get Rosen and ride with Keenum and really wait for the QB class of 2020 to get your franchise QB - This is what I would do. :)

This allows them to worry about the players we need on both side of the line instead. 

14 minutes ago, BRAVEONAWARPATH said:

OK, yeah I don't think so myself.  But even if I did, I had no doubt they were going to do something.  If not Keenum than Bridgewater or Tannehill for bigger money.  I think Tannehill would be their best shot to add some more wins.  I am not a big Tannehill guy either but I think he's the better of those three.

My ideal scenario for a veteran FA is to get one cheap if so.  And so they did.  Most beat guys have been saying expect a veteran FA and a young QB.  Well, we got the veteran.  Sounds like there is a chance they get a young guy, too.  

I am not doing jumping jacks for joy because they landed Keenum.  But I see it as a harmless acquisition.  So I got no problem with it.  

8 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

I'd like to know why he did so well with Vikings and so bad with Broncos and what we can learn from both.  May need it's own thread...John Legend on piano got us to 6-3 last year.

Been diving into it ironically just now.  First thing I stumbled on so far is a PFF article saying Keenum is a play action maestro and Denver didn't run enough play action. 

If you go back to the last Rams Hard Knocks, Keenum was a central part of the story and it was entertaining to watch.   His girl friend would help him cram as to studying their playbook among other things.  That's at least my main memory of him. 

The trade for CK makes sense and gives further options for QB moves heading into the draft and FA.  

Assuming that they're just getting started with the wheeling and dealing, then the plan to draft an Edge Rusher, OG, WR in the first 3 rounds would make sense. 

16 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

@Skinsinparadise you're style of hope reminds me of mine when its time to play the game, until we lose we haven't yet

LOL, yeah and I am not selling hope here.  I am selling wait for the full movie to play out.  

7 minutes ago, zskins said:

The Keenum thing makes sense to me. 

1. I wanted him so thanks Bruce and Doug for listening to this one fan. :D

2. Get Rosen and then make Keenum and Colt the backups. 

3. Don't get Rosen and ride with Keenum and really wait for the QB class of 2020 to get your franchise QB - This is what I would do. :)

This allows them to worry about the players we need on both side of the line instead. 

I mostly agree with this, my only difference is go get Drew Lock if you can get him cheap.  But otherwise I am cool with Rosen if its 2nd or 3rd rounder.  Cool with punting to 2020. 

5 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I am not doing jumping jacks for joy because they landed Keenum.  But I see it as a harmless acquisition.  So I got no problem with it.  

Healthy way of looking at it, for sure.

5 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Been diving into it ironically just now.  First thing I stumbled on so far is a PFF article saying Keenum is a play action maestro and Denver didn't run enough play action. 

If you go back to the last Rams Hard Knocks, Keenum was a central part of the story.  

This screams AB.  Love to see Antonio and CT in backfield at same time as well going in motion.

Just now, Renegade7 said:

Healthy way of looking at it, for sure.

This screams AB.  Love to see Antonio and CT in backfield at same time as well going in motion.

Russini said today she heard they aren't in on AB.  Keim though has said multiple times of late they are into upgrading at receiver this year -- probably in the draft.   But I am not banking on Keenum being the starter just yet. 

24 minutes ago, BRAVEONAWARPATH said:

This team has had plenty of horrible seasons. 20+ years worth of fact. Still no top flight quarterbacks in sight.

13 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I mostly agree with this, my only difference is go get Drew Lock if you can get him cheap.  But otherwise I am cool with Rosen if its 2nd or 3rd rounder.  Cool with punting to 2020. 

Rosen no higher than a 3rd that we got for Kirk makes all the sense to me. I was thinking about getting a QB in the draft instead of Rosen but with all the needs we have... Would Lock still be better than the QBs that are coming out in 2020 though? 

1 minute ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Russini said today she heard they aren't in on AB.  Keim though has said multiple times of late they are into upgrading at receiver this year -- probably in the draft.   But I am not banking on Keenum being the starter just yet. 

Jus what we need, another first round wide receiver.  What I know is tis the season of "what the hell, Case Keenum?" And the Redskins arent in the AFC.  I want to agree with you that's its too early to call their shots for them, I just don't see them trading for CK and cutting Jays adopted son Colt in the same offseason.  Case is gonna start because McCoy can't stay healthy, how many QBs were carrying if we still haven't released Alex yet?

Archived