Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Next Day Thread: Redskins vs. Bucs

KDawg

2 hours ago, justice98 said:

He didnt lose 36 fumbles though.  He lost 11 in 3 years.  Not a crazy high number.

So he had 47 turnovers in 48 games.  Now compare that to other QBs, outside of Brady and Rodgers who are the cream of the crop, it's probably in line with every other decent QB.  At least within the acceptable area where it doesnt prove that he was exceptionally bad at it.  Brees had 40, Roethlisberger had 46 (in fewer games), Ryan had 45, Rivers had 52, Stafford had 44, Newton had 47.  That's 2 MVPs in that group in that span.

And if you go back just a few years further, those guys were turning it over at a higher rate.  Guys like Brees and Ryan used to turn it over a lot more than they do now.

I hate to keep harping on this **** but you guys keep pulling me back in!

Kirk Cousins turned the ball over 47 times in his 3 full seasons as starter for Redskins.

In those same 3 seasons Alex Smith turned the ball over just 25 times.  That is a huge difference.

Alex Smith’s record during that span was 31-15.

Kirk Cousins record was 24-23-1.

Let it go, man.  Let it go.

3 hours ago, VeroViper said:

I was sitting in the upper deck at the game yesterday. When he released that deep ball to Davis yesterday I was immediately out of my seat. I was SURE that was a TD. From my vantage point you could see just how open Davis was. I couldn't believe he missed that. No excuse. Unacceptable.

I was upper deck also, and saw Davis set up his break, and knew he was going to be wide open. I was yelling “Chuck I! Chuck it!” Unfortunately he did. Maybe I should have yelled “Throw it!” Or, “Toss it!”??

40 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Just some small observations from being at the game, close to the sidelines.

D. Jax would shout to Fitzpatrick and point to Stroman every time Stroman was one on one on him.  And Fitzpatrick threw to him just about every time in those cases.

Whenever I focused on Vea he was a handful for our interior O line, saw doubles on him multiple times.

The secondary really does a lot of late communication and shifts.  Multiple times in the red zone it seemed chaotic, a couple of times where a defender wasn't positioned in time for the snap.  It made me think if opposing offenses see that on tape and thereby decide to go hurry up and catch the defense out of position.

Swearinger -- is fixing things back there, repositioning players, rallying players on the sidelines, rallying the fans behind him to get loud -- that dude is one heck of a leader.

Swearinger acted like Stroman was his little brother post interception, he looked giddy

Clinton-Dix played really deep most of the game. Looks like he's surpassed Nicholson in the line up.

Tough for me to see what was driving it but Jay looked pissed through most of the game

Tomsula was animated through most of the game = no surprise there.  

Alex didn't really talk to players on the sideline during the game or at least that was the case when I paid attention.  He was sitting on the bench right parallel to where I was sitting. He seemed very mellow.  in the 4th quarter Alex body language seemed more animated.  

I've been to some road games but that game took the cake, fans were unbelievable.  When plays were made, you'd think it was a home crowd.  I sort of get why Swearinger and Norman called out home fans after that game because that stadium rivaled any home game I've been to.

I was there also, it was definitely a great Redskins crowd, made the game a lot of fun. As far as play on the field one of the biggest takeaways for me was the missed tackles by the Redskins,way too many! But overall very exciting game with all the turnovers generated by the defense and most importantly,a win. After the game where the players and team brass exit the stadium Daniel Snyder came over and shook hands with myself and 3 or 4 others,thanking us for being there and supporting the team.

8 hours ago, cakmoney61 said:

IMO, losing teams tend to find ways to lose and winning teams tend to find ways to win.  Yesterday was mostly an example of a losing team finding a way to lose.  As a fan, I will never turn down a gift, but this type of win is an anomaly (500 total yards adding up to 3 points?).  

What a strange season this has been, but at 6-3, I'll take it!

I followed an entire 162-game Orioles season back in 2012 where they seemingly always won a bunch of close games and then would lose in blowouts. Their Pythagorean ranking was about 10 games lower than their 93-win season. I think at one point they won 12 straight extra inning games because they did the little things (and because they certainly got some breaks). That was the first year of 5-6 straight competitive years. 

My point...sometimes these things persist and carry throughout the year. Sometimes, success breeds more success and a season like this can be the foundation of a winning culture. It could all go away at any moment, but I'm going to enjoy the ride!  

It looked like Dix had a good game, interested to see the ratings.

He's getting a lot of tackles, not sure if that's a good or bad thing but he had 8 solo yesterday.

He made a nice play on the ball to break up the TD to Evans in the 2nd quarter.

59 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Swearinger acted like Stroman was his little brother post interception, he looked giddy

Remember when Fuller was traded, Swearinger took it real hard, harder than any player.

So, now he's got a super bond with Stroman.

He's got a thing for slot corners, I guess.

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Tough for me to see what was driving it but Jay looked pissed through most of the game

What was driving it ?

Just ask any one of the 100,000 fans here, lol

Regardless if our Defense of front got to him or not. He was rattled by it. He had that look like.damn I’m about to get the DC treatment which is relentless. My man Matty I. was getting in his head. He had a that smirk. Plus Josh Norman was shuttling down Mr. Evans. D Jackson was turned into the one trick pony he is. He didn’t like that extra tackle on the sideline. He took what he could get. I’m happy. 

Sloppy game all around.  Our O has a long way to go.  If not for AP and a few dominant D performances, we would probably be 3-6 right now.  TB gained over 500 yards on our D yesterday and if not for the costly turnovers by the Bucs they could have easily won the game.  Their O marched up and down the field at will on our D.  

16 hours ago, KDawg said:

Sir. I don't want to be rude to you here... but... You are continuing your attempt to jinx us. Some of us see through your ruse...

"ThePackisBack" is actually a riddle wrapped inside an enigma.

What it actually means is "IamCowboyFan".

Didn't think we'd figure that out, did you? Well, I'm on to you. And I am going to thrwart your attempts at this sorcery.

Be gone, cruel devil!

Yes thank you..my thoughts exactly.. good call man

16 hours ago, ThePackisback said:

I'm telling you guys Washington is going to get hot like the 2007 Giants and win the SB.

Please stop..for everything holy please.. nothing going on in Wisconsin ya gotta come here to this boring place.. cowboysfan

I was ****ing in the gameday thread about the defense playing so soft. Then around halftime the game plan clicked for me. They were going to play soft and wait for Fitz to make mistakes. That plan worked perfectly. Brilliant call by Manusky. The offense was fine to go along with that plan. Eat some clock and score. 

Our kicking game is great. Maybe the best punter in the league and Hopkins is MONEY.

6 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

I was ****ing in the gameday thread about the defense playing so soft. Then around halftime the game plan clicked for me. They were going to play soft and wait for Fitz to make mistakes. That plan worked perfectly. Brilliant call by Manusky. The offense was fine to go along with that plan. Eat some clock and score. 

Our kicking game is great. Maybe the best punter in the league and Hopkins is MONEY.

I have been pointing out for several weeks our STs is going unnoticed. Based on Football Outsiders (not perfect but at least some kind of measure), Redskins STs is 9th in ST DVOA. This is up a spot from last week. 

We are 7th in kicking and 4th in punting. What is holding them back is low returns. However, while we may not be getting many return yds, we are also not fumbling the ball like last yr. I will take it. 

Last year many were calling for Kotwica's head. Glad cooler heads prevailed. 

13 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

I have a hard time believing it was the plan to give up 500 yards and hope Fitz implodes and their kicker misses a bunch of field goals.  It worked out that way, but I hope that wasn’t the plan.  I think the plan was obviously to keep the big play in front of them, but by no means did they expect to just give up play after play after play with poor tackling/technique.  I give credit to the players making plays that were there to make moreso than I do the scheme.

5 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

I have been pointing out for several weeks our STs is going unnoticed. Based on Football Outsiders (not perfect but at least some kind of measure), Redskins STs is 9th in ST DVOA. This is up a spot from last week. 

We are 7th in kicking and 4th in punting. What is holding them back is low returns. However, while we may not be getting many return yds, we are also not fumbling the ball like last yr. I will take it. 

Last year many were calling for Kotwica's head. Glad cooler heads prevailed. 

I was one of those folks.  Not because I could pinpoint what Kotwica was doing wrong but because the ST had been so bad for so long, I thought someone had to fall on the sword.  But you’re correct, they are a big reason for the success thus far.

1 minute ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

I have a hard time believing it was the plan to give up 500 yards and hope Fitz implodes and their kicker misses a bunch of field goals.  It worked out that way, but I hope that wasn’t the plan.  I think the plan was obviously to keep the big play in front of them, but by no means did they expect to just give up play after play after play with poor tackling/technique.  I give credit to the players making plays that were there to make moreso than I do the scheme.

I mean... Obviously that wasn't the plan. Who would gameplan to allow for 500 yards?

The plan was to limit Tampa to field goals, though, and to keep that offense out of the end zone by any means necessary. That I can almost guarantee. Of course, they would have loved to keep them out of field goal range, too. But that offense hasn't been held out of the endzone with Fitzmagic at QB. So holding them to 3 instead of 7 is a big step. The playmakers absolutely made plays, but the scheme deserves some credit because it didn't allow Tampa to get behind us and score TDs.

11 minutes ago, KDawg said:

I mean... Obviously that wasn't the plan. Who would gameplan to allow for 500 yards?

The plan was to limit Tampa to field goals, though, and to keep that offense out of the end zone by any means necessary. That I can almost guarantee. Of course, they would have loved to keep them out of field goal range, too. But that offense hasn't been held out of the endzone with Fitzmagic at QB. So holding them to 3 instead of 7 is a big step. The playmakers absolutely made plays, but the scheme deserves some credit because it didn't allow Tampa to get behind us and score TDs.

Not sure what you’re arguing here. I literally said the plan was to keep the big play in front of them.  Why would it be anything else?

2 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Not sure what you’re arguing here. I literally said the plan was to keep the big play in front of them.  Why would it be anything else?

You said:

I have a hard time believing it was the plan to give up 500 yards and hope Fitz implodes and their kicker misses a bunch of field goals.  It worked out that way, but I hope that wasn’t the plan.

You have a hard time believing it because it was never the game plan :ols:

1 minute ago, KDawg said:

You said:

You have a hard time believing it because it was never the game plan :ols:

The very next sentence was that the game plan was to keep the big play in front of them.  Pardon me for not thinking this was groundbreaking philosophy.  

There is a huge gap between keeping big plays in front of you and giving up 500 yards.

Im not even beating up on Manusky but acting like the outcome was the plan all along is disingenuous. 

1 minute ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

The very next sentence was that the game plan was to keep the big play in front of them.  Pardon me for not thinking this was groundbreaking philosophy.  

There is a huge gap between keeping big plays in front of you and giving up 500 yards.

Im not even beating up on Manusky but acting like the outcome was the plan all along is disingenuous. 

Pretty sure Coach Gruden even said during his press conference that they obviously were not planning on giving up 500 yards, but they knew they didn’t want to give up the big play to the Bucs receivers.  It was breakdowns in their coverage and mistakes that were made by the D that gave up a lot of those yards.  He said they needed to address it.  I even think he chuckled at the idea of giving up 500 yards as a bend but don’t break mentality.  

1 minute ago, Bigmuss1 said:

Pretty sure Coach Gruden even said during his press conference that they obviously were not planning on giving up 500 yards, but they knew they didn’t want to give up the big play to the Bucs receivers.  It was breakdowns in their coverage and mistakes that were made by the D that gave up a lot of those yards.  He said they needed to address it.  I even think he chuckled at the idea of giving up 500 yards as a bend but don’t break mentality.  

That was pretty much my point.  I also chuckled at the idea that giving up 500 yards was the grand plan. I gather Gruden like myself, was thanking the man above for the turnovers.

12 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

You do realize I'm not arguing with you, right?

Just pointing out that no one here was trying to get you to believe that the gameplan was to give up 500 yards. You said it like someone was suggesting the Skins were in meeting this week saying, "listen, give up 4, 5, 6, hell even 700 yards... but don't let em in the end zone!"

I just found the wording funny. :ols:

46 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

I was one of those folks.  Not because I could pinpoint what Kotwica was doing wrong but because the ST had been so bad for so long, I thought someone had to fall on the sword.  But you’re correct, they are a big reason for the success thus far.

Of course they didnt want to give up 500 yards. They were hoping for mistakes earlier in their drives :). But you still cant fault the plan. Stroman's pick was a perfect example of playing soft and jumping a route. The plan worked in the end. It just worked later in drives.

18 hours ago, NickyJ said:

I just watched the rest of the highlight video you posted. I shouldn't have. :( I forgot how little I forgive Kareem Moore and Sean Suisham.

What's wild is, if you watch the entire video, both Jason Campbell and Devin Thomas look pretty damn good. 

25 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

That was pretty much my point.  I also chuckled at the idea that giving up 500 yards was the grand plan. I gather Gruden like myself, was thanking the man above for the turnovers.

He was thanking the players themselves for the turnovers. Let's not act like the ball kept slipping out of the hands of Tampa players running free towards the end zone. I feel no desire to diminish what it took on the Skins players' parts to create those turnovers because it took a lot. 

Archived