Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Next Day Thread: Redskins vs. Bucs

KDawg

Pros:

-Tampa played clown music when the Skins took the field. Skins went on to clown the Bucs. :ols:

-Mr. Cooper might actually be an upgrade at LG for the team. I can't believe they fell into him. I was watching the game while doing some other things, so I may have missed some stuff... But the way he was comboing and slipping on/off blocks was awesome. The dude looked great out there. And Bergstrom looks BETTER at RG than LG or C. I don't know how much of that is going to stick, but those guys stepped up big time. Kudos to Nsheke, Roullier and Moses as well.

-Josh Doctson had his best game as a pro, in my opinion.

-Alex Smith played his best game as a Redskin, in my opinion. Needs to play like he did in the second half more often and we're in good shape at QB. EDIT BEFORE PEOPLE START PUTTING WORDS IN MY MOUTH: Smith is by no means lighting the world on fire. Even yesterday, where I feel he played better than he has in any other game. When I say the team could be in good shape at QB, I mean they can continue to have the ability to win football games. I think quarterback win/loss stats are a bit of a misnomer, but when the QB wins so much more than he loses there IS something to that. Alex Smith is 94-65-1 as a starting QB in the NFL. He wins 60% of the games he starts. Coincidentally, that's roughly where the Skins are so far. 66%. I'm not advocating he's a great QB, just he is what he is.

-The Defense. Not much else to say there. They were attacking and aggressive. Norman had an outstanding pick and played Evans well. Mason Foster is getting better in the hook zone and forcing QBs to lead their receivers more, which opens chances. The passrush is getting there. Love the punch drill by the D. Manusky was aggressive again this week after sitting back last week.

Cons:

-Jordan Reed is hot and cold. Wouldn't say this was bad, necessarily, but he's streaky. 

And, uhh... Don't have much bad to say. I could go in on the offense a bit, because they weren't great yesterday... but it's similar to what they've been all year. So its just beating a dead horse. They did it differently than they have previously, though, which was halfway encouraging. 

I read you loud & clear @KDawg. I'm a fan, not a coach, so I'm not going to harp too much on some of the "could've been better" stuff from the offense yesterday. We won, and that's an outcome I'll day every day of the week, whether we score 16 points or 6. We do have to temper our enthusiasm a bit, because we won't be facing a Koetter-coached team (or that Bucs D) every week. A tough 2-game stretch coming up, with trying to contain Watt on D and that Houston offense, then heading to that Thanksgiving game on the road against that team from the same state as Houston. I think we'll need to put up some points next week, and I'm with you on the thoughts about Reed. It's Jekyll and Hyde. Some games, I swear he's half-assing it out there, and wonder if he's hurt or something.

Kinda felt like the defensive plan was to keep Tampa's WRs in front of our DBs in a sense in order to keep the big play from occurring due to injury issues, maybe...but once the field became compact it was a different story, with the defense also causing timely turnovers to end that **** at the doorstep. At the same time, though, I have no clue if that's in any way accurate lol...

Keep hearing either Sheehan or Galdi saying "more teams lose games than win games". Seems like our MO this season so far is to set teams up to lose.

I dunno. You know so much more than I do about x's and o's, but I hated our dbs lining up twenty yards off the receivers. They gave up so many free first downs. I hated how so many times our defenders waited to catch the ball carrier instead of hitting them. I got grumpy with so many failures to finish the play. Fitz can't possibly be that slippery! We should have had at least four more sacks!

That said, we were opportunistic on defense and held when we absolutely had to. We took advantage and by playing mistake free against a tree just imploding all over the place, we won.

1 minute ago, Burgold said:

I dunno. You know so much more than I do about x's and o's, but I hated our dbs lining up twenty yards off the receivers. They gave up so many free first downs. I hated how so many times our defenders waited to catch the ball carrier instead of hitting them. I got grumpy with so many failures to finish the play. Fitz can't possibly be that slippery! We should have had at least four more sacks!

That said, we were opportunistic on defense and held when we absolutely had to. We took advantage and by playing mistake free against a tree just imploding all over the place, we won.

Fitz has very good pocket presence. Always has. The joke is "he's a Harvard guy" but it's true. The guy is just freakin' smart. But he also has a gun slinger mentality, so that intelligence is kind of offset when he tries to sling the ball into spaces it doesn't belong.

Our tackling left something to be desired, yesterday, for sure. But lining guys off makes sense. The Skins were banking on holding Tampa to three points on drives. So they were aggressive with the front, but sat back in coverage. They were protecting our rookie/2nd year corners and letting Norman/Dix/Swearinger be aggressive. I actually can't get mad at that. I'd rather the rookies were protected from getting abused deep and their psyche's getting destroyed. Keep everything in front on the young guys and let the vets and front 7 go.

I think some of the secondary play was because of the way they got smoked by the Falcons WRs, still would have like to see a fifth man rushing the passer sometimes.

Gotta say though, the D line? Guys showed up, played hard. The O line replacements (which we ALL expected to make us hurl, admit it) surprised and shocked at the way they stepped up, kudos to Callahan & Co. for getting them ready in a couple days.

2 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

file_a0c51083.jpeg?width=1200&region=0,0

Morning wood?

- Was pleasantly surprised by the o-line play

- Think we need to get Bibbs more involved in the offense to avoid ending AP's season early

- Everyone was ready to write off Stroman a few weeks ago, this week he makes a huge play.  Don't do the same thing with Danny Johnson.  He's an undrafted rookie whose been playing through a broken arm.  Far from a finished product.

- Tress Way should go to the Pro Bowl

Just now, Reaper Skins said:

- Think we need to get Bibbs more involved in the offense to avoid ending AP's season early

- Everyone was ready to write off Stroman a few weeks ago, this week he makes a huge play.  Don't do the same thing with Danny Johnson.  He's an undrafted rookie whose been playing through a broken arm.  Far from a finished product.

-Agreed

-Agreed. I was on the Bibbs bandwagon last season/preseason. As were several others. Dude should have been on this team from the jump. Hopefully the Skins don't make a big mistake next season and they keep him around. Thompson is outstanding, but so far he is in the same boat as TW71, Moses, Lauvao and to some extent Scherff. The most important ability for a player to have is availability. Thompson is a better player, but Bibbs is a good handcuff. Don't make a mistake and let him go. Although TW71 is valuable still... he was involved in the OL play yesterday and getting excited for his teammates. That's a guy the team needs.

-Agreed.

-Agreed.

Good post.

Alex

Alex really got vocal at the LOS after Ty got hurt. I dont know if he was sliding protections or calling audibles but it was nice to see. His confidence and play responded as well.

3rd Q - 2:33

Alex pass to Mo for 15 yds on a 3rd and 9 was the best throw Ive seen Alex make so far this year. He had to throw it before Mo came out of his break and before Alex could see if he would win his route up top and where Mo would break it off. basically threw it to a spot and trusted Mo to break on time and gt to the spot. He does that maybe 1-2 a game. Would love to see that 10-12 times a game.

AP

His flexibility and durability is just amazing. Several times it appears he suffered a knee injury through out the season only to be able to shake it off. Saw yesterday it appears he lost a lil bit of burst but he is amazing to watch.

O Line

Played really well given the circumstances. Hold on Moses was BS.

Alex took 2 sacks back-to-back that  shouldnt be attributed to any O line played. 4th Q, 7:43 to play and Alex took 2 sacks back to back I think to run down the clock vs throwing it and maybe making a mistake or stopping the clock. Both sacks went for no loss/gain. That is the intentional conservative Alex that does pay dividends. Didnt risk turnover, fought to gt back to LOS and make clock run. Those 2 sacks took the clock from 7:43 to 6:18. In a 13 pt lead game, that was huge.

Defense

That soft corner 10 yd cushion got picked apart early. I guess that was our game plan. Really really bend and dont break and wait for Fitz to throw a pick? It worked but I feel we got pretty damn lucky. Josh int he seemed to be trailing the guy and only got the int bc it was a bad ball. 2 missed field goals.

Way and Hopkins - both were great.

not pretty, we will take it .. but man, playing like that does not translate to any future wins. We got lucky at crucial times, did just enough ourselves to beat a pretty bad team.

32 minutes ago, skinzplay said:

I read you loud & clear @KDawg. I'm a fan, not a coach, so I'm not going to harp too much on some of the "could've been better" stuff from the offense yesterday. We won, and that's an outcome I'll day every day of the week, whether we score 16 points or 6. We do have to temper our enthusiasm a bit, because we won't be facing a Koetter-coached team (or that Bucs D) every week. A tough 2-game stretch coming up, with trying to contain Watt on D and that Houston offense, then heading to that Thanksgiving game on the road against that team from the same state as Houston. I think we'll need to put up some points next week, and I'm with you on the thoughts about Reed. It's Jekyll and Hyde. Some games, I swear he's half-assing it out there, and wonder if he's hurt or something.

He HAS to be hurt right? We've seen this kid ball out and be unstoppable/unguardable at times. No way he's just dropped off this dramatically. Though, his drop-off has seemed to coincide with our having a new QB. I'm not slamming our QB. Just thinking this could play into it more than we realize.

@KDawg I really enjoy these writeups, they've become a part of my Monday morning routine.

I can't get behind the idea that the D played a great game yesterday.  Before anyone jumps all over me and goes BUT TURNOVERS, yes, I get it, turnovers are great and exciting.  And the D forced some great turnovers yesterday.

But...499 total yards.  That's not good.  It might have been a great performance from a score and turnover perspective.  But I think you end up losing 9 out of 10 games when you give up that many yards and fail to match it.  I will stop short of saying that they got lucky yesterday because of the turnovers they did force and Tampa shot themselves in the foot repeatedly. 

If they give up 499 yards again, I'm willing to bet that it won't result in a victory.

42 minutes ago, Burgold said:

Yeah, the bend don't break has to be very frustrating for the defenders, and of course fans. It soaks up a lot of time, which can make the offense have even less opportunities/drives. 

When it works though.... it seems acceptable and logical. Forces opponents to execute several or more plays.. then tighten up inside the short 20. I think with this front and rush backers, this defensive approach can change and succeed though. Doesn't seem the Manusky way though. 

The misses on Fitz were plenty, astonishing, and even comedic. It doesn't seem to be a rarity either. That's got to get better, ffs.

1 minute ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

@KDawg I really enjoy these writeups, they've become a part of my Monday morning routine.

I can't get behind the idea that the D played a great game yesterday.  Before anyone jumps all over me and goes BUT TURNOVERS, yes, I get it, turnovers are great and exciting.  And the D forced some great turnovers yesterday.

But...499 total yards.  That's not good.  It might have been a great performance from a score and turnover perspective.  But I think you end up losing 9 out of 10 games when you give up that many yards and fail to match it.  I will stop short of saying that they got lucky yesterday because of the turnovers they did force and Tampa shot themselves in the foot repeatedly. 

If they give up 499 yards again, I'm willing to bet that it won't result in a victory.

Thanks Spiffy!

I wouldn't say they played "great" either. But they played to win the game. Bend but don't break. And against Tampa that was a nearly picture perfect gameplan. But they definitely need to understand that they can't sip their Kool-Aid after that... but they should also be proud of the plays they made. Those turnovers weren't flukes. They were well executed plays. A lot to get better at but a lot to be proud of.

2 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Thanks Spiffy!

I wouldn't say they played "great" either. But they played to win the game. Bend but don't break. And against Tampa that was a nearly picture perfect gameplan. But they definitely need to understand that they can't sip their Kool-Aid after that... but they should also be proud of the plays they made. Those turnovers weren't flukes. They were well executed plays. A lot to get better at but a lot to be proud of.

Agreed on all points.

37 minutes ago, Reaper Skins said:

Agree strongly with all of this, though I will say that the very first play of the game had me cringing to see Berg at RG instantly miss his block. Smith got crushed as he let it loose, and that can really set a tone for the first half jitters. Watching the rest again now to get a better feel of the OL prowess. 

31 minutes ago, justice98 said:

Remember when he was dangerous?  He hasnt had 70 yards receiving in his last 18 games.  Since the Dallas Thanksgiving game in 2016.

He seems serviceable, but dare I say rusty. I struggle to imagine them keeping him on at his 2019 cap hit, but plenty of ball left to go, so who knows. 

55 minutes ago, KDawg said:

They were protecting our rookie/2nd year corners and letting Norman/Dix/Swearinger be aggressive. I actually can't get mad at that. I'd rather the rookies were protected from getting abused deep and their psyche's getting destroyed. Keep everything in front on the young guys and let the vets and front 7 go.

That seemed like the plan. Especially with how Tampa was attacking the youngsters.

Hopefully we kept the guy in the game, and Stroma even got a pick in the end. Meaning they weren't abused and their psyche's getting destroyed.

That's smart coaching job. They are too often underrated around here.

8 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

I loved the game yesterday. I thought we played our asses off and left everything out there and what more could we want? By the 4rth, we had worn them out and took the win.

They played their asses off. We won. But that was fortuitous. I believe a team's hard work and practice = getting a favorable share of bounces and breaks. We earned the bounces and breaks but execution was inconsistent imo. I dont think we win many games going forward with the same on field output. 

Evans dropped td. 2 missed FG. Endzone int. Redzone fumble and skins recovery. 

edit ---

No long balls. Not sure if this was due to HaHa but Fitz, DJax and Evans never got behind the secondary which I thought Fitz and co would be dialing up a good bit.

McKinzy - I guess the staff really does like him, saw his name flash a few times. Saw him in a 3rd and long in or near the RZ in the second half of the game ... is he a cover type LB? Seems bigger than Harvey-Clemons.

IMO, losing teams tend to find ways to lose and winning teams tend to find ways to win.  Yesterday was mostly an example of a losing team finding a way to lose.  As a fan, I will never turn down a gift, but this type of win is an anomaly (500 total yards adding up to 3 points?).  

What a strange season this has been, but at 6-3, I'll take it!

By the way, was I the only one who, after the Skins were up 3-0, immediately said "Ok, cool...we just won the game" lol...

3 minutes ago, cakmoney61 said:

As a fan, I will never turn down a gift, but this type of win is an anomaly (500 total yards adding up to 3 points?). 

What about 500 yard and 15 points?...Cuz the Skins still would have won lol....

I remember hearing that Washington's offense had half the TOP that Bucs did. 20-10 ratio. 

So far, there's 8:35 left in the first half, and Washington has had two drives. 1 ended in a drop/great DB breakup of a Jordan Reed quick slant on 3rd and 5... and a designed screen on 3rd and 16 that got them an easier FG. 

Make of that.. what you will. 

Archived