Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What is Wrong with Alex Smith?

NoVaSkins21

18 minutes ago, Master Blaster said:

Oh you guys are being serious?

LOL, he's a better long-term option than what we have now.  AS would be great with an amazing defense, we're not there yet.  At this pace, we can't expect our D to keep bailing us out of tough spots.   

On ‎10‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 9:59 PM, SAli457180 said:

I know there is an existing thread about Smith to support him.  If this is merged or removed  then so be it.  With that said, I don't understand why he's performing so poorly.  I think I saw a sound bite where he said he needs to develop better chemistry with his receivers.  If that's the case then what was he doing in training camp.  The pass to Sprinkle today should've been an easy TD but it fluttered in there and there was no possibility for it to be caught.  Smith needs another bye week to get in sync.  He was a #1 pick and is playing like he is an UDFA.  He's the weakest link on this team right now and has to get better fast.  

He's playing exactly as he has always played. Actually, he's been slightly better than I expected.

I mean, I dread every moment of the next three years, because this is a miserable brand of football to watch, but he's playing on brand right now.

Seriously, none of you dum dums gamble or watch other games? This is a shock to you?

On ‎10‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 10:54 PM, RWJ said:

He'll only get better. 

No he won't.

The great thing about Alex Smith is that he never gets better and he never gets worse.

He simply is.

1 minute ago, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

He's playing exactly as he has always played. Actually, he's been slightly better than I expected.

I mean, I dread every moment of the next three years, because this is a miserable brand of football to watch, but he's playing on brand right now.

Seriously, none of you dum dums gamble or watch other games? This is a shock to you?

I said this the moment we got him.  I expected average to below average.  But, this is what we signed up for.  However, I think hes playing worse then expected.  I really was expecting more targets to Reed, as well as more 3rd down conversions with his legs. 

Alex Smith has gotten by all this time on 2 things, taking care of the football, and using his legs.  Everything else hes just bad at.  He works hard, and he does study hard, but when it comes to actual talent and confidence in his throws, he has neither.

5 minutes ago, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

We couldn't be any more different. I love a kick ass defense and running the football down people's throats. This game and its fans have become far too pass-centric, probably has some to do with the fantasy football aspect too.

When Alex arrived I thought we would get excellent game management, accurate short to medium throws and no crazy interceptions. 

I only saw Alex play the Saints and Cowboys.  Saints game seemed a overall team thing.  The thing that had me worried against the Cowboys was the look in Alex's eyes. Dude looked confused and lost.  A bit like Mark Brunell.  Hope it was just a one off.

1 minute ago, redskins4ever28 said:

I said this the moment we got him.  I expected average to below average.  But, this is what we signed up for.  However, I think hes playing worse then expected.  I really was expecting more targets to Reed, as well as more 3rd down conversions with his legs. 

Alex Smith has gotten by all this time on 2 things, taking care of the football, and using his legs.  Everything else hes just bad at.  He works hard, and he does study hard, but when it comes to actual talent and confidence in his throws, he has neither.

Yes of course, he has been a full time starter in the league for well over 10 years because he has no arm talent!  Seriously some of you people just need to stop with this nonsense.  He is 6 games into a new offense on a new team and is playing with different receivers every week because they cannot stay healthy and yet the sky is falling because he is not putting up big numbers.  The team is 4-2 and just beat the hated Cowboys, we lead the East by one and a half games and we are finally not reading week in and week out about the looming FA of our Quarterback.  If you can't be happy now then maybe you need to find a new hobby.

8 minutes ago, WelshSkinsFan said:

Yes of course, he has been a full time starter in the league for well over 10 years because he has no arm talent!  Seriously some of you people just need to stop with this nonsense.  He is 6 games into a new offense on a new team and is playing with different receivers every week because they cannot stay healthy and yet the sky is falling because he is not putting up big numbers.  The team is 4-2 and just beat the hated Cowboys, we lead the East by one and a half games and we are finally not reading week in and week out about the looming FA of our Quarterback.  If you can't be happy now then maybe you need to find a new hobby.

I hate how so many on this forum take everything said with  "oh my god you said he has no arm talent but hes an nfl qb of course he does!"

I obviously don't mean he has absolutely no arm talent.  But yea, considering the average nfl qb, he doesn't.  Can he throw? Yea of course he can throw.  But theres a reason that guys been considered captain checkdown for over a decade.  Don't give me the "new offense" excuse.  Know when I heard those things before?  Jason Campbell, Patrick Ramsey, and "insert QB name here." 

As for happy?  Of course Im happy we are 4-2, but Im not blinded by rose colored homer glasses.  We aren't winning a SB with this team, that I assure you.  I hope we make it to playoffs but, unfortunately I know how this team has broke my heart in the past so I am not going to be the blind fan anymore. If you want to be the blind fan who gets surprised be my guest.  I appreciate your happy we are 4-2 and beat the cowgirls, I screamed and yelled that we beat them and was excited as heck, but I am still going to give my opinion of what I think is real and not say "ALEX SMITH IS AMAZING OMG"  Come on dude. 

31 minutes ago, HardcoreZorn said:

We couldn't be any more different. I love a kick ass defense and running the football down people's throats. This game and its fans have become far too pass-centric, probably has some to do with the fantasy football aspect too.

I think this brand of football is one of the only ways to beat teams with elite QBs/offenses on any given Sunday in this day and age of football. 

Cant wait for the weather elements to come as well. Should benefit the Skins. 

2 minutes ago, wit33 said:

I think this brand of football is one of the only ways to beat teams with elite QBs/offenses on any given Sunday in this day and age of football. 

Cant wait for the weather elements to come as well. Should benefit the Skins. 

Yeah, I believe it was @KDawg in a different thread touching on the fact that a true smash mouth team could really eat some of these spread out defenses up. The problem becomes if your run gets shut down, you need the passing game to step up so you aren't too one dimensional. Just praying for AP's health and the passing game to take steady steps.

His most consistent years were in KC.  I personally think 2017 was an outlier.  Let's compare his first 6 games of each season in KC (besides 2017) to this year's first 6 games:

2013: 122/216, 56.48%, 7 TD, 3 INT, 79.8 Rating, 6.18 AY/A (Team Record 6-0)

2014: 119/186, 63.98%, 9 TD, 4 INT, 91 Rating, 6.83 AY/A (Team Record 3-3)

2015: 131/210, 62.38%, 6 TD, 3 INT, 88.8 Rating, 7.42 AY/A (Team Record 1-5)

2016: 145/214, 67.76%, 7 TD, 2 INT, 95 Rating, 7.29 AY/A (Team Record 4-2)

Which is an average of:
129/207, 62.6%, 7 TD, 3 INT, 88.7 Rating, 6.93 AY/A (Record 3.5-2.5)

2018:

124/196, 63.27%, 7 TD, 2 INT, 91.9 Rating, 7.31 AY/A (Record 4-2)

There's nothing "wrong" with Alex Smith.  This is exactly who he is and always has been since Harbaugh.  And we're stuck with him for at least 2 years.  Yay

39 minutes ago, HardcoreZorn said:

I liked that in 1994 when it was an approach to football that worked.

I'm currently off the opinion that any running play is basically a wasted play at this point.

I mean, be honest, who here is happy every time an opposing team hands he ball off?

Just now, DJHJR86 said:

His most consistent years were in KC.  I personally think 2017 was an outlier.  Let's compare his first 6 games of each season in KC (besides 2017) to this year's first 6 games:

Which is an average of:

2018:

124/196, 63.27%, 7 TD, 2 INT, 91.9 Rating, 7.06 AY/A (Record 4-2)

There's nothing "wrong" with Alex Smith.  This is exactly who he is and always has been since Harbaugh.

I was right. He's slightly better than his historical self.

I'm so damn smart.

Just now, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

I liked that in 1994 when it was an approach to football that worked.

I'm currently off the opinion that any running play is basically a wasted play at this point.

I mean, be honest, who here is happy every time an opposing team hands he ball off?

Wasn't it just last year this board was adamant that the QB couldn't do it all by himself and the running game needed to be addressed? Now we have a good one and it's boring cause we aren't ripping up teams in the pass game?

And me, especially with how our run defense is playing.

1 hour ago, Alexa said:

Smith sucks. Period. His arm is too limited. I think Gruden fell in love with the guy after our game w/ KC last year.  He's fine if you have a truly great defense, like the 2000 Ravens, but we don't have that kind of defense. Number one priority is draft a QB in next years draft. 

Also the wheels would have to come off for Gruden to turn to Colt. That would admit failure on another QB trade and the Redskins would never do that in a million years. 

I definitely agree that Smith isn't a NFL starting caliber QB.  That's why I wouldn't mind kicking the tires on the guy that took Smith's spot in San Fran and led them to a Super Bowl.  Something Smith has never been capable of doing.

1 minute ago, NikeRedskin7 said:

I definitely agree that Smith isn't a NFL starting caliber QB.  That's why I wouldn't mind kicking the tires on the guy that took Smith's spot in San Fran and led them to a Super Bowl.  Something Smith has never been capable of doing.

While we're at it, let's give Rex Grossman a ring since he "led" the Bears to a Super Bowl.  

1 minute ago, DJHJR86 said:

While we're at it, let's give Rex Grossman a ring since he "led" the Bears to a Super Bowl.  

Sounds like a great idea.  At least Grossman would give us a chance by actually throwing down field.  Check downs won't get you to Super Bowls.  Great choice!!

Alex is Alex---a mercurial, volatile, rootin'-tootin' gunslingin' roller-coaster ride of a qb. If ya can't handle the edge-of-your-seat excitement, settle for being 4-2, leading the division, finally beating the cowboys, and still dealing with substantial injuries in the process. 

Don't get me wrong---there's little hope for any really bright long-term success for this outfit, I'm just talking right now. :806:

1 hour ago, HardcoreZorn said:

Yeah, I believe it was @KDawg in a different thread touching on the fact that a true smash mouth team could really eat some of these spread out defenses up. The problem becomes if your run gets shut down, you need the passing game to step up so you aren't too one dimensional. Just praying for AP's health and the passing game to take steady steps.

No doubt. Less room for error, but this strategy still has some value, less than years ago, but it’s still there. I especially like it if a team doesn’t have an elite QB. 

6 minutes ago, wit33 said:

No doubt. Less room for error, but this strategy still has some value, less than years ago, but it’s still there. I especially like it if a team doesn’t have an elite QB. 

Also when did "not turning the ball over" become such a backhanded negative? There's a difference between limited and careful. Alex can make the throws, just doesn't take many chances, hence the extremely low turnover rate.

1 hour ago, DJHJR86 said:

Which is an average of:

2018:

124/196, 63.27%, 7 TD, 2 INT, 91.9 Rating, 7.06 AY/A (Record 4-2)

There's nothing "wrong" with Alex Smith.  This is exactly who he is and always has been since Harbaugh.  And we're stuck with him for at least 2 years.  Yay

While i hate watching Smith play, you can not just remove his best year because "you feel its an outlier". Then why don't you remove 2013 as well,  since its his worst (statistically) year. It's a slippery slope.

You want a true average, include 2017, then compare to 2018..... and then you have to consider that this is his first year in a new O which is a big deal for QBs, after being 5 years in the same O with the same coordinator.. so the comparison is really pretty irrelevant. 

3 minutes ago, oraphus said:

You can just remove his best year because "you feel its an outlier". Then why don't you remove 2013 as well,  since its his worst (statistically) year. It's a slippery slope.

You want a true average, include 2017, then compare to 2018. 

That wouldn't fit his agenda though...

Smith is exactly as advertised. This was always a terrible move. Andy Reid has been putting lipstick on the veritable pig, i.e. his quarterbacks, for decades. That’s his move. What’s inexcusable is that the leader of our team has now fallen for this and traded for a Reid QB TWICE.

On 10/22/2018 at 7:05 PM, oraphus said:

I am not sure how they measure time to throw... but if you watch Smith he takes forever to first look, then wind up, then throw... and even after all that, he either throws it short or over the WR

Even worse, Cooley has picked up on the fact that after his first read Alex's head goes down to look at the rush.  Then back up.  As a QB you never, ever take your eyes off the field and your targets.  You work your progressions.  Pre-snap should tell you where your #2, #3, and #4 options are.  That explains why he is either late on some throws and won't let it go on others.  And also why he throws a lot of check downs.  By the time he gets his bearings only #4 (dump off) is available.  Kinda reminds me of #10. 

15 hours ago, oraphus said:

While i hate watching Smith play, you can not just remove his best year because "you feel its an outlier". Then why don't you remove 2013 as well,  since its his worst (statistically) year. It's a slippery slope.

You want a true average, include 2017, then compare to 2018..... and then you have to consider that this is his first year in a new O which is a big deal for QBs, after being 5 years in the same O with the same coordinator.. so the comparison is really pretty irrelevant. 

Ok, here's how he compares with the outlier year factored in:

Average for the first 6 games from 2013-2017:

131/204, 64%, 8 TD, 2 INT, 94.8 rating, 7.25 AY/A (Average 4-2)

2018:

124/196, 63.27%, 7 TD, 2 INT, 91.9 Rating, 7.31 AY/A (4-2 Record)

Even with the outlier, it's still consistent.  And there is no "narrative" to sell.  This is who he is, this is his peak, and he's remained consistent throughout the past 6 seasons.  Even his first season in KC, with a new offense, new coordinator, new coach, etc. was this:

122/216, 56.48%, 7 TD, 3 INT, 79.8 Rating, 6.18 AY/A

Besides completion percentage and rating, it's virtually the same statistics.  He's not throwing touchdowns or turning the ball over.  If anything, he's playing better here in a new system than he was in KC.  And I hate to keep repeating myself, but this is his 13th season in the NFL...he's not going to magically change who he is.  

And if you wanted to go back even further in San Francisco (under Harbaugh, since that's the more recent years and would also be a new coach, new offense, etc.) here's his averages for the first 6 games for 2 years with Harbaugh:
107/163, 66%, 8 TD, 3 INT, 95.9 Rating, 7.47 AY/A

17 hours ago, HardcoreZorn said:

I do too. Problem is we're not going to be able to run the ball every week. There will be games where the defense is off, or we get behind. Do you realize Smith hasn't even had 200 yards passing the last 2 games? Sorry but that will not win in the modern NFL. 

Archived