Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What is Wrong with Alex Smith?

NoVaSkins21

3 minutes ago, Burgold said:

A big part of the problem is his receivers don’t practice. They’ve been injured since before training camp. 

How many preseason snaps did Alex get? How many practice snaps? There is no chemistry or timing... no trust. Alex knows the play call, but he doesn’t know how his receivers react to it or what they do against various coverages. 

That plus his conservative nature = Alex. 

True, he's just too damn hesitant in the pocket. Misses wide open receivers (especially Reed) or doesn't trust them. It's frustrating to watch.

14 minutes ago, superozman said:

I think there are a few determining factors here:

2.  Alex Smith loves to get the ball out quick.  Coupled with a coach who is hesitant to go deep, that means we are seeing a lot of passes within 15 yards in the air.

3.  Alex Smith hasn't really thrown into coverage much - until yesterday.  numerous plays we saw throws into coverage (a few Doctson catches) and we saw success.  the optimism in me says that he's gaining trust and we will see it more.

Smith has one of the slowest windups and deliveries i have seen. (say what you want about Kousins but comparing the two qb in quickly getting the ball out is night and day) in part because of this, Smith's ball seems to always come out late. WR comes open for a couple of secs, by the time Smith throws the ball he is no longer open. Smith seems to compensate for this by overthrowing WRs

13 minutes ago, oraphus said:

Smith has one of the slowest windups and deliveries i have seen. (say what you want about Kousins but comparing the two qb in quickly getting the ball out is night and day) in part because of this, Smith's ball seems to always come out late. WR comes open for a couple of secs, by the time Smith throws the ball he is no longer open. Smith seems to compensate for this by overthrowing WRs

Cousins is 2.67 seconds, Smith is 2.79 seconds in "Time to throw".  17th and 26th respectively.  I understand you are on the delivery point - but it doesn't drag it out to where its "A couple of secs".

ON the other hand, while looking up that stat, i noticed another stat.  He has an AWFUL QB rating outside the tackle box 10-20 yards out.  and that is where A LOT of routes go in Grudens system.  Hmmm....

5 minutes ago, superozman said:

Cousins is 2.67 seconds, Smith is 2.79 seconds in "Time to throw".  17th and 26th respectively.  I understand you are on the delivery point - but it doesn't drag it out to where its "A couple of secs".

ON the other hand, while looking up that stat, i noticed another stat.  He has an AWFUL QB rating outside the tackle box 10-20 yards out.  and that is where A LOT of routes go in Grudens system.  Hmmm....

Which is why I think those two or three throws to Doctson seemed out of the blue good.  I haven't seen many throws inside the numbers this year -- and you're right it's because all the routes lead to the sideline...

He's been stinking it up recently. Honestly, I think he's better than how he's performing, but it's honestly becoming a little concerning. Beyond us missing a few playmakers, his pocket presence has been bad, he's not making any plays with his legs, he's overthrowing open receivers, holding onto the ball way too long, and just doesn't seem comfortable at all. I want to blame it on being his first year in Gruden's system, but look at what Mahomes is doing in KC. Mahomes literally has started 8 games, and is tearing it up with the same weapons Smith had last year. Mahomes probably has more TD passses now than Smith will have all season. Cousins is in his first year in a brand new system, and has 14 TD's and only 3 picks. Hell, Case Keenum has more yards and TD's than Smith, though he's a turnover machine.

We're 4-2 on the back of AP and a stingy defense, but Smith better start to improve or we won't even compete with the better teams in the league, as we saw with the pounding NO gave us.

16 hours ago, normal_gymnasium said:

Exactly! There are usually a bunch of good quarterbacks available during week 7 of an NFL season, because teams don't want good quarterbacks on their roster.

Well....  I can think of a quarterback who's available right now as a FA and he is the same QB that took Alex Smith's job before and I have no doubt that he can do it again.  That guy is Colin Kaepernick.  He is a better QB than Captain checkdown  in my opinion.   And yes in week 7.....

1 minute ago, Vladimir L said:

should we kick the tires on Derek Carr in the Raiders fire sale?

maybe give them alex smith and a 2nd round draft pick

Im all for it!!

11 minutes ago, NikeRedskin7 said:

Well....  I can think of a quarterback who's available right now as a FA and he is the same QB that took Alex Smith's job before and I have no doubt that he can do it again.  That guy is Colin Kaepernick.  He is a better QB than Captain checkdown  in my opinion.   And yes in week 7.....

Im all for it!!

Hahaha solid joke from new guy!

The fact of the matter is that Alex Smith will be here for at least two more years given his contract structure. Ideally we will play this card correctly and draft a QB to be groomed for a year under his tutelage. 

The good news is that he still isn't clicking in this offense... and we're winning. There's upside.

7 minutes ago, CTskin said:

Hahaha solid joke from new guy!

The fact of the matter is that Alex Smith will be here for at least two more years given his contract structure. Ideally we will play this card correctly and draft a QB to be groomed for a year under his tutelage. 

The good news is that he still isn't clicking in this offense... and we're winning. There's upside.

It wasn't a joke, it was reality.  We are clicking and that is good news.  But that won't work against solid teams, let alone good teams.  I believe we can make a good playoff run, but solid QB play is required to hang with the big boys.  Check downs aren't gonna get you W's against quality teams on a consistent basis.  Yeah you may get a lucky break here, or a refs call there....  But that type of play don't consistently beat teams who are a lil more well rounded than what we've faced.

To me he looks very unconfident . The  Happy feet & constant check-downs tells me he has no confidence in his Wide Receivers which i get, Not exactly the Posse out there, right. What i don't get is why we don't see our Tight Ends having monster games. There is no reason a healthy Jordan Reed and Vernon Davis should not be combining for 10 catches and 100+ yards every week . Smiths go to man was Kelce for years so he obviously likes throwing to the tight end.

Alot of this has to be on coaching ie playing conservative and protecting the ball. One thing you have to give credit to Smith is he does not turn the ball over, Not on interceptions and not on fumbles, He protects the football better than Cousins ever could, unfortunately thats about the only area he outshines #8, well that and WINS. And there is the key folks, I could care less what kind of lame numbers Smith keeps putting up as long we keep winning and AP keeps pounding Im fine with that. 

I'v always been a Cousins guy, still am but if we finish this season winning the division and more importantly 10+ games I'll tip my hat to Gruden and upper management because a Conservative bus driver will apparently be exactly what this team needed. Who knew.

3 hours ago, superozman said:

I am not sure how they measure time to throw... but if you watch Smith he takes forever to first look, then wind up, then throw... and even after all that, he either throws it short or over the WR

1 hour ago, JoeJacobyHOForRIOT said:

To me he looks very unconfident . The  Happy feet & constant check-downs tells me he has no confidence in his Wide Receivers which i get, Not exactly the Posse out there, right. What i don't get is why we don't see our Tight Ends having monster games. There is no reason a healthy Jordan Reed and Vernon Davis should not be combining for 10 catches and 100+ yards every week . Smiths go to man was Kelce for years so he obviously likes throwing to the tight end.

Alot of this has to be on coaching ie playing conservative and protecting the ball. One thing you have to give credit to Smith is he does not turn the ball over, Not on interceptions and not on fumbles, He protects the football better than Cousins ever could, unfortunately thats about the only area he outshines #8, well that and WINS. And there is the key folks, I could care less what kind of lame numbers Smith keeps putting up as long we keep winning and AP keeps pounding Im fine with that. 

I'v always been a Cousins guy, still am but if we finish this season winning the division and more importantly 10+ games I'll tip my hat to Gruden and upper management because a Conservative bus driver will apparently be exactly what this team needed. Who knew.

I don’t see anything wrong with much of this, although it feels easy to say at 4-2.  But the next time this team gets waxed to a team with a legit offense and/or the defense isn’t having its best day, folks will be crying foul again.

On 10/21/2018 at 10:19 PM, TryTheBeal! said:

Do any of y’all know where the Teddy Bridgewater thread is?

He's with the Saints 

On 10/22/2018 at 3:50 PM, Vladimir L said:

This would be a good move, Jay is more in tune with todays' players than Jon.  

AS trade was a bad trade for how much we gave up to get him.  His options were limited just like ours and I'm willing to bet, he would've signed here as a FA anyway.  We've won in spite of him.  I'd like to think he has a trusted voice with Jay Gruden, there's no reason why he should look so uncomfortable in this offense.  If the Redskins see a potential QB within the first 2 rounds of this year's draft, they should really consider getting him.  Next year will be no different with AS.  He may give us a great game, here and there, but he won't be a consistent great passer in this offense.  

On 10/22/2018 at 3:50 PM, Vladimir L said:

This would be a good move, Jay is more in tune with todays' players than Jon.  

AS trade was a bad trade for how much we gave up to get him.  His options were limited just like ours and I'm willing to bet, he would've signed here as a FA anyway.  We've won in spite of him.  I'd like to think he has a trusted voice with Jay Gruden, there's no reason why he should look so uncomfortable in this offense.  If the Redskins see a potential QB within the first 2 rounds of this year's draft, they should really consider getting him.  Next year will be no different with AS.  He may give us a great game, here and there, but he won't be a consistent great passer in this offense.   

Trading for Carr? They'll want another 1st rounder at least and then we'd have to deal with his contract, which would be ludicrous. Carr has in the past looked like the makings of a great NFL QB but this year he's really been bad. Now, that could have plenty to do with Gruden as well. A guy who can play doesn't simply forget how to play. But he also hasn't ever really looked the same since his injury.

Smith sucks. Period. His arm is too limited. I think Gruden fell in love with the guy after our game w/ KC last year.  He's fine if you have a truly great defense, like the 2000 Ravens, but we don't have that kind of defense. Number one priority is draft a QB in next years draft. 

Also the wheels would have to come off for Gruden to turn to Colt. That would admit failure on another QB trade and the Redskins would never do that in a million years. 

Archived