Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Tough Question: Is Jordan Reed overrated?

NoCalMike

He has shown flashes of being very good.  However at this point in his career, flashes are simply not good enough.

How can a guy that is so highly regarded, just flat out disappear from games on the regular?

Is he still hurt? Is he playing at 50%?  What reason is there right now that he has zero catches against a bad defense (This post was made during 3rd quarter of Saints game).

I have no idea what his contract status is right now, but they would be crazy to pay this guy moving forward.

I don't think he's overrated, I just don't think we are capable of utilizing him correctly. Why that is I'm not sure, probably a combination of bad playcalling and QB that isn't good at getting it downfield.

In the NFL it isn't enough to just be talented, unless you're just crazy freakishly talented. You have to be coached up and in the right system/environment to succeed. Hell look at Todd Gurley and Jared Goff. Gurley had like 800 yards the year before McVay got there and Goff looked like a bust. Now Gurley is an MVP and Goff looks like a top 5 QB.

Alex Smith is Alex Smith....won't argue that, but he seemed to throw the ball to Kelce just fine.  It seems like tonight (vs. The Saints) half the time he isn't even in the game on crucial downs.  How does he have 1 catch against this Saints defense?

If you have a Top 5 or hell, even Top 10 Tight End, they should be an absolute mis-match for defenses.  Jordan Reed just doesn't produce consistently.  At this stage is turning into Fred Davis 2.0 just for different reasons.

I don't think Jordan Reed is bad, but I am beyond over waiting for him to "see his potential"  I don't know if the injuries through his short career have effected his ability on the field beyond repair or what, but a Tight End this highly touted should not be getting shut down by middle of the road defenses.   If anything he should be the guy getting the freak-like stats despite the team getting blown out.

OMG no!!  Hell no!!

Just think back to his playoff game against the Packers.  You even had Howie Long saying "get Jordan Reed the ball more."  Jordan was the only one making plays in that game on offense.  Let me go look up his stats real quick.

1 minute ago, Vanguard said:

OMG no!!  Hell no!!

Just think back to his playoff game against the Packers.  You even had Howie Long saying "get Jordan Reed the ball more."  Jordan was the only one making plays in that game on offense.  Let me go look up his stats real quick.

Okay here we go.  In Jordan Reed's one and only playoff game.  He recorded 9 catches for 120 yards, and 1 TD.

End Thread

6 minutes ago, Vanguard said:

Okay here we go.  In Jordan Reed's one and only playoff game.  He recorded 9 catches for 120 yards, and 1 TD.

End Thread

Ok but  week in and week out in the NFL, even bad teams, if they have that one star player, you will see that they get monster stats even in losses, even in bad losses.  Jordan Reed just seems to have a knack for simply disappearing.  I suppose I would need to watch game film or have a trained eye to watch game tape, but the way Alex Smith was dropping back and waiting for anyone to get open, I refuse to believe he simply "didn't see Reed."  If that is so, why was he able to have a monster stat connection with Kelce?

Again, I am not saying Jordan Reed is a bad player, but I am at the point where he is becoming just another guy that, while he makes some good plays every now and then, is not a guy that can be relied upon to take over games.  

1 minute ago, NoCalMike said:

Ok but  week in and week out in the NFL, even bad teams, if they have that one star player, you will see that they get monster stats even in losses, even in bad losses.  Jordan Reed just seems to have a knack for simply disappearing.  I suppose I would need to watch game film or have a trained eye to watch game tape, but the way Alex Smith was dropping back and waiting for anyone to get open, I refuse to believe he simply "didn't see Reed."  If that is so, why was he able to have a monster stat connection with Kelce?

Again, I am not saying Jordan Reed is a bad player, but I am at the point where he is becoming just another guy that, while he makes some good plays every now and then, is not a guy that can be relied upon to take over games.  

I hear you.  But it could be any number of things other than Jordan being a bad player.  I think it has more to do with who Kelce had around him, and how comfortable Alex was in that offense.  And the play calling to be honest.

1 minute ago, Vanguard said:

I hear you.  But it could be any number of things other than Jordan being a bad player.  I think it has more to do with who Kelce had around him, and how comfortable Alex was in that offense.  And the play calling to be honest.

Another question I have is why was Jordan Reed not on the field so much tonight.  So many packages he was standing on the sidelines.  Is he still more hurt than we know?  Have the coaches lost confidence?  I simply don't get it.

2 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

Another question I have is why was Jordan Reed not on the field so much tonight.  So many packages he was standing on the sidelines.  Is he still more hurt than we know?  Have the coaches lost confidence?  I simply don't get it.

I have an issue with Gruden and his play calling.  I'm not so sure they shouldn't have another coach come in and help him with adjustments.  He doesn't seem to be very good at it.  In addition, I don't think he knows how to take advantage of the skill sets of the players on his team.  Play to your strengths!!

9 minutes ago, Vanguard said:

I have an issue with Gruden and his play calling.  I'm not so sure they shouldn't have another coach come in and help him with adjustments.  He doesn't seem to be very good at it.  In addition, I don't think he knows how to take advantage of the skill sets of the players on his team.  Play to your strengths!!

I also don't get why Vernon Davis seems to be given routes where he is downfield, and he is often getting open.  Why don't they have Reed doing that kind of stuff?  Maybe it is coaching and the lack of being able to utilize the guy?   

I am just babbling at this point.  Frustrating. 

Just now, NoCalMike said:

I also don't get why Vernon Davis seems to be given routes where he is downfield, and he is often getting open.  Why don't they have Reed doing that kind of stuff?  Maybe it is coaching and the lack of being able to utilize the guy?   

I am just babbling at this point.  Frustrating. 

I'm pissed too.  You want answers and so do I.  But you know what we get?  The same scripted excuses from Jay in his postgame presser. smh

Archived