Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Gameday Thread

Simmsy

4 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

This point can only be met with how horrible Atlanta played.  I don't think anyone has philly right where they want them, but Atlanta didn't look like a playoff team tonight, either.

I think some of us forget how good the Eagles defense is and can be. Its not like the Falcons looked bad. They just didn't look good on offense. Which might have something to do with the Eagles defense. 

On defense they did enough to win. They had a turnover on defense and special teams. There offense is why they lost tonight. Or better yet the Eagles defense is why they won tonight. 

1 minute ago, desertbeagle85 said:

I think some of us forget how good the Eagles defense is and can be. Its not like the Falcons looked bad. They just didn't look good on offense. Which might have something to do with the Eagles defense. 

On defense they did enough to win. They had a turnover on defense and special teams. There offense is why they lost tonight. Or better yet the Eagles defense is why they won tonight. 

When Atlanta blew those early red zone trips, game was already over, I've seen that a million times with the Redskins.  It's week one, but you are right, mess around and Philly gonna be underdogs again, not a team to underestimate, have to always come correct.  But GD Ryan looked horrible, I can't expect him to play like that all year.

1 minute ago, Renegade7 said:

When Atlanta blew those early red zone trips, game was already over, I've seen that a million times with the Redskins.  It's week one, but you are right, mess around and Philly gonna be underdogs again, not a team to underestimate, have to always come correct.  But GD Ryan looked horrible, I can't expect him to play like that all year.

Yeah Ryan has been like that his whole career. Not sure what his deal is. He can be really good or really bad.

I agree though those 1st two drives killed them. Hell the redzone all together killed them. 

6 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

Push out rule got eliminated a long time ago.

Falcons offense is just god awful in the RZ. They make our RZ offense look like the '99 Rams in comparison. Holy crap.

I think they screwed up with that first timeout call at around the 1:10 mark. You didn't need to call it so early. With better TO management they could have maybe ran the ball once they got closer.

On the very last play of the game, they should have shown run, or maybe even ran the ball.  The Eagles were doubling Jones so if they showed a run threat, that probably would have changed.  But I guess that is what having no timeouts left does to you.

7 hours ago, abdcskins said:

Me neither really, but in that situation you gotta realize the Eagles are gonna double him. Trust your other receivers.

Counter-point: He's doubled on every play and still wins.  If you're going to lose, you might as well lose trying to get it to your best player.

For example, in the Giants game in 2016 that the 'Skins lost, Kirk through an interception and went appoplectic because the receiver fell down.  I THINK it was to Mo Harris, but it might have been somebody else.  With Garcon and Djax as options, he went to a second tier receiver in a big spot, and it resulted badly, and we were all like, "why did you throw it to that guy?"

I hear your point, and agree, you would like to just throw it to the open guy.  However I also understand that if you've got Julio Jones on your team, you just trust he's going to do magical things because he's done them so many times before.

The only guy I can think of who just wouldn't care at all the name/number on the jersey is Brady. 

7 hours ago, zskins said:

"The Eagles' Victory Song" was written in the mid-1950s and rearranged and retitled as "Fly, Eagles Fly" by Bobby Mansure & Brian Saunders in 1995.

But when did they start playing it at games?  I just don't remember it on broadcasts until the last few years...  I don't remember it during the McNabb years, for example.

Maybe I just missed it.

Listening to people talk about this game the morning after on TV, I really dont get how they are talking about what a luxury the Eagles have with Foles. He was absolute trash. People are just blinded by the Eagles winning the Super Bowl last year. If you want to praise the Eagles defense, fine, but praise Foles?

The Eagles defense played well, but a big part of that loss was Ryan just being pure ass. He just missed wide open guys constantly throughout the game and it wasnt because he was being pressured. He just plain missed guys. Heck that final throw if he threw it too far outside in the endzone, the CB was on top of the guy, just keep the ball in bounds. IF the Eagles keep playing like this they arent winning the division this year. Foles had barely a 100 yards and 50% completion percentage, what a beast. ?

That was a brutal game to watch, it ended up being exciting at the end but the penalties almost made it unwatchable.

Matt Ryan was awful, and Foles looked like the Foles I've been watching for years.

I don't understand the playcalling by Atlanta (especially on that last drive), that whole game was a head-scratcher.

With how awful Matt Ryan was, if they kick the FG that first time in the redzone instead of going for a TD they can take it to OT. And on top of that if they did that and dont miss the XP they can win it with a FG. All in all, so many things went right for the Eagles last night. Unfortunately they play Tampa Bay next who will probably go 0-16.

It's amazing how similar that was to the Divisional game last year. There were a couple more points on each side, but the Falcons had the ball in the red zone needing a TD to win. And their 4th down play was a throw to the sideline that Jones couldn't catch and/or stay in bounds. So cool in a way...

I thought Ryan was awful at the end there. They got bailed out to get an extra chance, but it felt like his last 3 throws in the red zone didn't even stay in the field of play. That plus taking a sack or two almost made it seem like they weren't even a threat there at the end. 

3 hours ago, London Kev said:

It's a shame that Ajayi plays for such a ****ty team. I would love to cheer on a fellow Londoner, but just can't. He actually seems like a good bloke too.

I loved watching him in college, but like all Boise St alumni, as soon as he joins a rival NFCE team, he's dead to me,?

21 hours ago, MisterPinstripe said:

Philly does the dumbest statues.

Philly didn't do the statues, Bud Light did.

12 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

But when did they start playing it at games?  I just don't remember it on broadcasts until the last few years...  I don't remember it during the McNabb years, for example.

Maybe I just missed it.

It's been sung after every score since 1999, so it was sung throughout McNabb's entire career. The original lyrics didn't include Fly, Eagles Fly though. It was Fight, Eagles Fight. So the original words were changed slightly in the 90's.

Eagles didn't look great but Week 1 is sometimes a bad indicator of the entire season.  Sometimes with the rust & fatigue, all you are trying to do in Week 1 is to escape with a win, even if it is ugly.  The Eagles managed to win that game while only seeming to play 5 minutes or so of good football.  It's more annoying then anything for the rest of the NFC East that they still managed to win.

On ‎9‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 7:49 AM, Voice_of_Reason said:

Maybe I just missed it.

Most of the time fight songs don’t get heard on the broadcast because the game cuts to commercial right away after a score. So you probably just haven’t seen a broadcast in the rare times that it does happen i guess. I’ve been aware of that fight song since 07 probably, just when i started really following all of the nfl. 

Also on the play you’re talking about from 2016 Vs Giants are you sure it was Harris? I coulda sworn it was garçon that Kirk was trying to get it to. But you could be right, I’ll have to find a clip of it to remember. 

Yep just watched a clip, he was trying to get the football to garçon not Harris. 

Archived