Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Gameday Thread

Simmsy

2 minutes ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

Point about Davis was simply that the precedent of shorter careers was set. Gronk isn’t a volume catcher so the receptions aren’t there but the yards and TDs are. He’s a big play guy and also has some clutch moments too. 

Me, personally I don’t see how he isn’t a lock. But agree to disagree I guess 

Yeah, obviously I misspoke when I said guys don't get in for short careers. I meant generally. I was thinking of Sayers, but not Davis, who again I don't think should be in. But the point is a player at least has to reach a level of real transcendence to get in in such circumstances. And have extenuating circumstances.

I just don't see how even being the best at a position that doesn't send many to the Hall for the equivalent of like 4-5 years and not amassing stats that put you past guys who would never even get nominated for the Hall can make you a "lock".

But again, he'll get in because the bar will be lower for Patriots players.

12 minutes ago, PlayAction said:

Boring game and the commercials sucked.

I will bet you all the smart ad agencies stayed out of this SB because they knew the audience was going to be less because they have seen this movie before... and they saved whole bunch of money while doing it. 

4 minutes ago, Mr. Sinister said:

Man I really wish Mr Kraft was my owner. Guy is a fan (a TRUE fan, with that burning desire to improve every aspect of his team), and gets it. Absolutely gets it. Have a program, a dream, and get the right people in position to carry it out.

That team has accomplished in less than 2 decades what's taken  nearly a hundred years for some of the core franchises in the game to do.

Truly unprecedented 

Well, he'd be a better owner than Snyder (a trait he has in common with several billion other mammals on planet Earth), but the only thing that makes him a "great" owner is he got Belichick. He had already chased two Hall of Fame coaches out of town and if Belichick hadn't shafted the Jets it's doubtful Kraft would be anything other than an owner with an unremarkable tenure.

59 minutes ago, abdcskins said:

Go back and rewatch Week 12 onwards. I live in LA and had Goff on my fantasy team and watched every Rams game. He misses SO many throws and gets rattled as soon as there is an iota of traffic in the pocket. Pressure him and he's done. He doesn't know how to read defenses nor make play calls at the line of scrimmage. He's overrated as hell. He'll never win a Super Bowl I guarantee it. 

Yeah I’ll go back and rewatch one game that’ll do it. 

1 hour ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

Sure they do, look at Terrell Davis. Gronk’s Numbers already put him among the best TEs to ever play and that’s despite missing so much time. 

Not to mention that when he’s played he’s probably the most complete TE in league history in terms of skill set. 

He absolutely deserves it. And now he has 3 SB rings too 

He’s a forgone conclusion the second he becomes eligible. 

1 hour ago, RandyHolt said:

I question the wisdom of the mighty one Romo in saying to decline the penalty. That left NE in FG range, and they kicked the game ending FG.  Maybe McVay heard that Romo was ranting about it. The refs said the penalty was accepted. Bellichek blew a fuse as they seemed to have changed it to a decline. 

Romo wasn't calling plays as much this time, I think on purpose so it didn't throw the game.  He obviously knows the NE offense inside out.

1 hour ago, Fergasun said:

They could push then kick back, but take another 40 seconds off the clock because the Pats get another play...

1 hour ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

Yeah that’s a tough decision especially with Gostkowski had already missed one earlier 

It is a tough decision. I think declining the penalty was the wrong move. The problem was the Rams played the clock instead of the scoreboard. Declining left them in FG range to make it a 2 score game. Not to mention, they were inches away from picking up a short 3rd down play that would have ended the game and never given them the ball back. Had they taken the penalty, it's probably 4th and long around the 37 with about 40 seconds left. So the Pats have to either punt or kick a very long FG. So you get the ball back with 30 seconds left and have to go 80 yds or possibly 90. But with only needing a TD, you get to the 50 and you have a hail mary shot. Still a better shot at winning than getting the ball with 72 seconds and having to go 80 yds, and needing 2 scores. 

The reality is, the Patriots started that drive at the 4 after the interception. The Rams could have stopped them at any point on that drive and had plenty of time to try and drive again. But not stopping them and getting to where you have make a tough call, you probably make the wrong call no matter which way you go. 

1 hour ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

He has less career receptions than Ben Watson and Vernon Davis. Yeah, he's a great blocker, but that doesn't make up for some pretty pedestrian career numbers in catches.

I personally don't think Davis should be in. He got in in a soft year for candidates. But at least he got in on three historically great seasons, an MVP and a Super Bowl MVP. And he got in because injuries made him unable to play. He didn't have a short career so he could go wrestle. 

Gronk may have three rings, but he didn't play in one of those Super Bowls, btw. Missed the whole postseason run that year.

Check out playoff career numbers for a TE. He's number one in the major categories. Playoff numbers they take seriously. 

It'll be interesting to see how McVay handles the SB hangover. For all the sunshine and rainbows coming out of LA, coaching trees, et al, that team, with all that FA money tied up, could get bad in a hurry when the time comes. Gotta weather the storm and become consistent, which is perhaps the most difficult thing to do in this league.

If he takes the Rams back to the playoffs with another 11-5ish season, that may be even more impressive than what he did this year

24 minutes ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

@Mr. Sinister i agree, that would be very impressive. That would tell a lot i think in how good of a coach he can actually be.

Unless you only watch football, there's plenty of stuff to keep you entertained, including upcoming movies and tv shows. And other sports ( aren't you a Nats fan?)

I honestly won't notice the time gone (I mean it's already February). The NFL will be back before I am ready for it. I honestly wouldn't mind a nice long stoppage.... Get some important people to marinate on things for a bit.

I honestly think the NFL Network should do a thing where they pick 2 random years and then just treat Sunday thru Tuesday and Wednesday thru Friday like "Sundays in the Past" from Feb to July.

Use their current talent to create Red Zone for the Sunday and hightights package for each game and then showcase two of the best games on Monday and Tuesday night.

For example, go back 15 years and 30 years.... so we'd get some good footage from 2004 Season and the 1989 Season.

There's tons of Hall of Fame careers to watch, plus John Madden and others on commentary.... but they turn the channel into the "pump you up for the draft and free sgency" channel.... lame.

2 hours ago, Tsailand said:

After watching this super bowl, I genuinely think that if our defense had kept playing well, and Alex hadn't been injured, he could definitely have led us to a 13-3 loss against the Patriots.

First of all, Alex Smith isn't good enough to lead us past any of the teams in the playoffs, so we definitely wouldn't reach a SB with him even at his healthiest.

Archived