Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Hopkins and the Kicking Game?

Burgold

I realize the absurdity of an observation stemming from the fourth playoff game, but it occurs to me that if Dustin Hopkins makes the gimme field goal in the first half then the Redskins final drive would have been for the win. That drive didn't matter for a few reasons including most of the players will not be on the roster next week, it was a preseason game, and so on... non the less...

Why wasn't an extra leg brought in to challenge Dustin Hopkins this off season? Has he ever been good enough that you don't even try to upgrade?

It feels like Hopkins is a good kicker with a good leg for kickoffs, but he doesn't make a lot of the 50+ yard kicks and he will too often find an inopportune time to miss a 30-something yard kick. More, he always seems to miss a few games to injury. So, why does this team to be so content with him? Is he really the guy? Are we settling for good?

Anyway, I just felt like complaining because he missed another easy kick and I've seen him do it too often.

Edit: This thread isn't about cutting Hopkins or demanding we find his replacement immediately. It's more about frustration that I don't think he should have been handed a job. I think he should have had to earn it. I don't think he's been good enough or consistent enough to get the job without any competition.

I don't know how much it affected his kick accuracy, but I noticed that the snap was momentarily mishandled by the placer. This, as most know, can affect the outcome of kicks. It can mean that the placer doesn't angle the ball right, or doesn't place the laces where the K wants them. The timing and poor ball placement can make good Ks look bad. 

Could be he just missed, I dunno. 

1 minute ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

How long has it been since we have a really good kicker?  Mark Mosely?  

Chip Loehmiller maybe? Nick Novak kicked 100% of his field goals for us before he got dinged, but his distance was very short on kickoffs.

I like Hopkins, but he does have this weird tendency to miss laughers.

1 hour ago, ClaytoAli said:

My criticism of Hopkins has nothing to do with how good and consistent he is. It is about him not being perfect. Cant we have just on perfect kicker for a chance, who can’t miss any kick...ever! 

I'm hoping you are being sarcastic. Otherwise, that's just silly.

You expect a kicker to be perfect at all times? That's nonsense.

Even the best kickers like Justin Tucker or Stephen Gotkowski miss kicks. Tucker, I believe, missed one last week.

Why would you hold a kicker to a standard you wouldn't hold any other player to? No one can be perfect all the time.

QBs are going to throw incompletions. Receivers are going to drop passes sometimes. And kickers are going to miss kicks.

It's just the nature of being human. :)

10 minutes ago, SkinsGuy said:

Even the best kickers like Justin Tucker or Stephen Gotkowski miss kicks. Tucker, I believe, missed one last week.

Why would you hold a kicker to a standard you wouldn't hold any other player to? No one can be perfect all the time.

QBs are going to throw incompletions. Receivers are going to drop passes sometimes. And kickers are going to miss kicks.

It's just the nature of being human. :)

Me thinks you should have listened to your sarcasm meter.... 

50a646686a30258c9e5787d37c856732.jpg

3 hours ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

How long has it been since we have a really good kicker?  Mark Mosely?  

We've had a few, we just have a quick trigger.  A lot of decent to really good kickers have passed through here, but we cut 'em before they found their stride. Then they went on to find success somewhere else. David Akers, Shaun Suisham, Nick Novak, Graham Gano, Kai Forbath. 

Some werent even really bad when they were here, but if they werent perfect, they were gone.  

2 hours ago, SkinsGuy said:

Crazy stat, Tucker is 95%  inside 50 yards.  And has yet to miss an extra point.  I cant even imagine booking 3 every time your kicker steps out there.

1 minute ago, SemperFi Skins said:

I thought that Rose guy we had last year was actually a better, more accurate, kicker. Was surprised we released him. I assume he's cheaper than Hopkins too.

I agree.  I was high on him, I wasnt surprised that he's been getting looks.  I suspect had Hopkins not been injured and it was just a let the best man win situation, Rose coulda taken it.  

Just now, @SkinsGoldPants said:

it surprised me they don't have an extra leg every preseason. Maybe the kicker wouldn't really compete. But you never know.

I thought most teams brought in extra kickers just to not wear out the main guy and have him do all the kicking.  Like what the Ravens are doing.  

Just now, justice98 said:

I thought most teams brought in extra kickers just to not wear out the main guy and have him do all the kicking.  Like what the Ravens are doing.  

I thought so too.

Then again, I thought during camp they focused on everything from scheme to basics. But here we are, and tackling still looks like it hasn't been revisted. 

Archived