Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2019 Comprehensive Draft Thread

Going Commando

Our problem with trade downs is that we often have problems finding the sleeper stud.  Could have had Sherman over Gomes due to the Kerrigan trade.  Would have been in position to get Jordy Nelson, DeSean Jackson and either Ray Rice or Martellus Bennett (not great but had a much better career than Davis and Davis might have then be available anyway).  Heck, of all the picks in the second in 2008, only 1, maybe 2, were worse than our first two!  When we traded down for Ramsey, could have stopped trading back and got Portis then. If we'd continue trading, Westbrook was available to us and many of the players still on the board had better careers.

On 1/29/2019 at 4:09 PM, Alcoholic Zebra said:

Originally I thought Jones was going to be a great backup QB, and a quality selection with a 2nd rounder.  Lately, I'm with you, I think he falls further.

That said, Lock still isn't in the first tier for me.  There's too many issues in his game, and it'll take time for him to resolve.  I think he needs to sit for a year or two, and that's not our teams current situation.  If we drafted him, I don't think he develops well...he'll be tossed into the fray too early.

The Army wouldn’t draft Jones 

8 minutes ago, Darth Tater said:

For the tank crowd who also think a bit conspiratorially, a hypothetical:

Last game of the season and we are playing the Cowboys who must win to get in.  If we lose, we get the first pick of the draft. Who wins?

1st pick.

Cowboys needing a win means likely 9ish wins.  That just means worse pick after losing in playoffs.

I am on team, "Don't take a QB with the 1st pick" bandwagon.  I don't think any of them are worthy of that high a pick in this draft, and even if you made the argument that someone like Murray has the potential upside to be worth it, this team has too many other needs.  

Let's be honest too, if the Alex Smith injury had happened earlier in the season before the 6-3 start, the team is likely looking at a much worse record. So if it ends up confirmed he is out for all of 2019, I would rather look for a veteran in free agency as a stop-gap solution and then use the draft for other positions, then the following offseason when the team's record is likely very bad and the pick is higher in the draft, then you grab that QB.

For this draft, if they pick a QB it should be a later round project or maybe a player overlooked that they can stash away and develop quietly for the time being. 

19 hours ago, nonniey said:

Yes. Not really sure when he'll go but it won't be #1 and probably not top 10 (But then again that is what they were saying about Mayfield this time last year).

Yep the Mayfiled situation could end up being a replicated here. Chances are the Cardinals and their HC are going to love him more by the end of April than they do now. Murray probably knows that and aside from making a complete tool of himself sometime soon, he's about to get a fully guaranteed contract paying what, 35mil or something. 

21 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN '74 said:

Yep the Mayfiled situation could end up being a replicated here. Chances are the Cardinals and their HC are going to love him more by the end of April than they do now. Murray probably knows that and aside from making a complete tool of himself sometime soon, he's about to get a fully guaranteed contract paying what, 35mil or something. 

Didn't the Cardinals just draft Josh Rosen last year?  I don't see them taking another QB with the first pick in the draft.

1 hour ago, NoCalMike said:

I am on team, "Don't take a QB with the 1st pick" bandwagon.  I don't think any of them are worthy of that high a pick in this draft, and even if you made the argument that someone like Murray has the potential upside to be worth it, this team has too many other needs.  

QB is our biggest need, by far.

5 hours ago, volsmet said:

Gruden must be salivating.  Not having someone who can do that is like half the reason our Duo and Gap run schemes fail.

I haven't watched cutups of Jonathan Abrams, but your posts do intrigue me.  There are several safeties I like in this draft.  I think there's a real shot to improve our team with our first 4 picks.

"Josh is a smart guy, he's been around and he's seen what happens year in and year out," Bidwill said, via the Cardinals' official team website. "There's always a lot of speculation that turns out to not be true. But moving forward, we're going to continue to build this team and build around the foundation that we have."

Bidwill joked that speculation about the Cardinalsmaking a move for Murray is "good for the talk radio industry," but underscored that the team is focused on Kingsbury helping improve Rosen from a struggle-filled rookie campaign.

"Of all the coaches, he was the only one to say, 'Bring the tape, we're going to break down the tape,'" Bidwill said.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001017662/article/cardinals-dismiss-kingsburykyler-murray-speculation

https://thedraftnetwork.com/2019/02/12/draft-class-heroes-ranking-top-8-tight-ends/?/push

Round 1 Grades

1. T.J. Hockenson, Iowa

2. Noah Fant, Iowa

Both of these guys are dynamite. In my mind, Hockenson is a can’t miss prospect with star potential. I think he’ll surprise people with his testing in Indy. Fant is an athletic freak who needs a little more polish, but I’m shooting my shot in Round 1 still. Can’t pass up those traits.

Early Round 2 Grades

3. Irv Smith, Alabama

I’m not sure Smith is as fast as people think he is (still fast), but he is an excellent route runner and the best blocker in the class not named Hockenson. Smith’s ability to make people miss after the catch and stretch the field will allow him to be effective in a number of different roles right away in the NFL.

Mid Day 2 Grades

All four of these guys are extremely close on my board right now. Combine testing will determine the final order.

4. Dawson Knox, Ole Miss

The entire appeal with Knox is basically what he can be if the right staff can mold him. Expected to dominate the Combine, Knox has the size, speed, athleticism and work ethic to be a steal, but Ole Miss threw to him just 22 times last year and he never scored a collegiate touchdown. He’s the ultimate test of traits vs. production at the position.

5. Isaac Nauta, Georgia

I love Nauta’s vertical ability and strong hands through contact, but I do worry a little bit about his ability to separate from man coverage due to some hip stiffness in his routes. He could easily finish as my no. 4 tight end, and is another case of an under-utilized guy in college whose best football should be ahead of him. Difference between he and Knox and Sternberger is that Nauta is the third-best blocking tight end in the class and can contribute right away in that role, where the other two need more work.

6. Jace Sternberger, Texas A&M

Sternberger might be a one-year wonder at the collegiate level, but he has good football ahead of him at the next level. His YAC ability, strong hands and success against quality competition on tape have me excited about his potential, but Sternberger isn’t a finished product. His blocking and route-running need to be coached up in the NFL.

7. Dax Raymond, Utah State

I love Raymond enough to have him in the same bucket as three tight ends I think very highly of, which says a lot about the traits he exhibited over his past two season of tape at Utah State. Raymond was quietly very good in Mobile and is a very solid blocker, the question will be how his athletic traits match up at the Combine when compared to Power 5 competition.

Early Day 3 Grades

Big drop-off in my current tight end rankings, as I haven’t graded any of them as late day 2 options just yet.

8. Kaden Smith, Stanford

I’ve seen Smith as high as TE3 for some analysts, but I just can’t get there. He’s awesome in high-point, contested-catch situations, but Smith looks like a middling athlete without great speed or separation ability. Contact really bothers him in his routes, and I question if he is physical or athletic enough as a receiver to consistently win 1v1 matchups. He’ll help a team, but I prefer him early on day 3.

Haven’t studied yet: Foster Moreau, LSU/Alize Mack, Notre Dame/Josh Oliver, Memphis/Zach Gentry, Michigan/Tommy Sweeney, Boston College/Drew Sample, Washington

Deep Sleepers

Malik Gant, Marshall

An early declaree who is a relative unknown, Gant was a walk-on athlete with zero offers out of high school before earning a scholarship at Marshall in 2017. He’s blossomed more and more every year there, showing the physicality and athleticism to fill a number of different roles for a defense. With more and more teams using 3-safety looks, a defender like Gant who can match up in the slot and play in the box is more valuable than ever before. If he tests well, don’t be surprised if he sneaks into the top 100.

Armon Watts, Arkansas

Watts came out of nowhere this year for Arkansas, barely playing for three seasons before dropping a 49 tackle-8.5 TFL-7 sack-3 forced fumble senior campaign that got him an invite to the Shrine game. Watts was excellent there, showing quick hands and a legit plan of attack as a pass rusher. I’ll have his full-length scouting report coming soon at TDN, but I think he’ll be a riser through the pre-draft process.

redskinsb_logo.gif Washington Redskins: Daniel Jones, QB, Duke Duke_logo.gif   5th pick in the draft
TRADE!!! I'm going to project different trades in the mock draft updates leading up to the combine. This is a logical one. The Redskins have nothing at quarterback in the wake of Alex Smith's injury. Drafting at No. 15, they may miss out on all the first-round signal-callers. They have to move up, and it makes sense to move past the Giants so they can get their guy. The Buccaneers, meanwhile, aren't in a great spot at No. 5, as it's a bit too early for Jawaan Taylor. A trade between the two teams could happen, and I imagine the Redskins would surrender their 2020 first-round pick, their 2019 second-rounder and maybe something else. 

So, which quarterback will it be? Based on Charlie Campbell's reporting in the Senior Bowl Rumors page, it sounds like Washington prefers Daniel Jones over the other quarterbacks at this time, but fears that he'll be off the board by No. 15.... 

Read more: http://walterfootball.com/draft2019.php#ixzz5fM9QYWQy

Walter football is part of the vocal minority sold on Daniel Jones.  Talk about my draft nightmare playing out like this in their current mock today.  They give up a 2020 first round pick and more and bypass both Murray and Haskins to go get Jones.  Talk about ruining my off season if they did anything like this. 

20 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

redskinsb_logo.gif Washington Redskins: Daniel Jones, QB, Duke Duke_logo.gif   5th pick in the draft
TRADE!!! I'm going to project different trades in the mock draft updates leading up to the combine. This is a logical one. The Redskins have nothing at quarterback in the wake of Alex Smith's injury. Drafting at No. 15, they may miss out on all the first-round signal-callers. They have to move up, and it makes sense to move past the Giants so they can get their guy. The Buccaneers, meanwhile, aren't in a great spot at No. 5, as it's a bit too early for Jawaan Taylor. A trade between the two teams could happen, and I imagine the Redskins would surrender their 2020 first-round pick, their 2019 second-rounder and maybe something else. 

So, which quarterback will it be? Based on Charlie Campbell's reporting in the Senior Bowl Rumors page, it sounds like Washington prefers Daniel Jones over the other quarterbacks at this time, but fears that he'll be off the board by No. 15.... 

Walter football is part of the vocal minority sold on Daniel Jones.  Talk about my draft nightmare playing out like this in their current mock today.  They give up a 2020 first round pick and more and bypass both Murray and Haskins to go get Jones.  Talk about ruining my off season if they did anything like this. 

Youll like this too.

https://draftwire.usatoday.com/2019/02/12/2019-nfl-mock-draft-3-rounds-trades-surprises-kyler-murray-dwayne-haskins-drew-lock/2/

SIP, if we move to 5 to take Jones can I have your tv?

16 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Got nauseous just reading this. 

Only upside would be that would be a move that Bruce wouldn't be able to wiggle himself out of. Not just missing on another QB but another massive trade-up. Jones is a bad QB imo and 2019 season would be a dumpster fire. 

Glad to see Ledyard thinks highly of Raymond, Joejuan Williams, Jackson and Chauncey-Gardner (as do I)... but I’m also bummed because I saw them as great value in the 3rd round, particularly the 3 corners.  

@volsmet Gustin’s a heck of a player - one of the better edge guys in this class IMO, maybe even a top 10 guy.  I don’t think I’d spend a 2nd on him though (unless maybe we find ourselves with a late 2nd rounder) because of those injuries.  

13 minutes ago, volsmet said:

Youll like this too.

https://draftwire.usatoday.com/2019/02/12/2019-nfl-mock-draft-3-rounds-trades-surprises-kyler-murray-dwayne-haskins-drew-lock/2/

SIP, if we move to 5 to take Jones can I have your tv?

Yeah another trade up for Jones, where with the 15 pick they give up is actually used by another team to take perhaps my favorite player at that spot -- Hochenson -- that would be nauseating for me, too.  But not as bad as the other one where they give up their 2020 first and 2019 2nd. 

Been listening to Finlay and Hoffman of late speculate on what they do on QB.  And am guessing they might just be guessing on this.  But the impression I get right now:

1. Leaning on taking a QB later in the draft 2nd-4th round as opposed to in the first. 

2.  If a QB they like slips within range of their pick who they love they might trade up

on another note

Archived