Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2019 Comprehensive Draft Thread

Going Commando

Was curious to see what the Redskins have received in trades the last couple years for trading back. I avoided the trades that involved anything after the 5th, as those are typically valued less and thus have a wider range of returns.

2018:

Received 2.27 and 3.10

Sent 2.12 and 5.4

2015:

Received 3.31 + 4.16 + 5.15 + 6.2

Sent 3.5

If we stay at #15 and fail to move back, it wouldn't surprise me if the team ends up trading the 2nd back a bit to recoup the 4th lost in the Dix trade ... or trades back and pairs with one of the 5th rounders to get another 3rd, ala the Guice/Christian trade last year.

@Skinsinparadise I think you're very correct in regards to WR. Others who think we'll spend big on a FA like Tyrell Williams ... I only see that being the case if we don't bring back Jamison Crowder. Our issue at WR isn't that we don't have depth, it's that we lack a true playmaker. That's certainly something we can acquire in the 2nd or 3rd round of this draft ... but your chances of getting it right decrease a little bit the later you go. Personally, I'd prefer to bring back Crowder on a $6m APY deal, and try to get one of the playmaking WRs in the 1st or 2nd. But this is definitely a deep draft. Lodge is an interesting guy ... think he is slated anywhere from 2nd to 6th round in the mock drafts I've seen.

1 hour ago, OVCChairman said:

Why in gods name are we running right behind a WR and 2 TEs (I THINK that' Sprinkle engaged with no. 55) and our entire offensive line is 8 yards left almost all outside the hashmarks?  What kind of play design is that?  

I haven't charted plays but relying on Cooley's film reviews, Jay-Callahan's favorite run play is the duo.   And he likes to say that this specific run relies a lot on TE blocking and the Redskins TE blocking stinks (Reed and Davis) so its not a happy marriage.   

With the duo, you typically double team the DT's and the TE has to hold the edge and block the DE.  I made the same point last year and here's one of the clips I pulled then where Jordan Reed's whiffs on his block.  

Our TE sets with all our guys being one dimensional to different degrees -- especially now with Flanagan in the mix, also telegraph run-pass too often.  Jay also unlike lets say Kyle in SF doesn't throw much out of 12 personnel (2 TE sets).  Though Kyle has Kittle, a TE who can do it all.  Makes things easier.  

On this team if the QB is taking the ball from under center and the running back and run blocking TE are lined up on the same side and tight -- the odds are pretty good that you are running and doing so on the strong side.   It would be great IMO to shake all of that up where its not as easy for the defense to be cued up to what's coming.  That's why to me a guy like Hockenson could be huge for this offense, he could hold the edge in the duo runs, can maul guys in space if Guice breaks loose, and is also a weapon in the passing game in his own right -- coupled with adding at least a little more confusion for defensive coordinators.

redskinsduo2.thumb.png.7216364aac5974272a92c621f1746d8a.png

1 hour ago, OVCChairman said:

Why in gods name are we running right behind a WR and 2 TEs (I THINK that' Sprinkle engaged with no. 55) and our entire offensive line is 8 yards left almost all outside the hashmarks?  What kind of play design is that?  

I don't know, but I'll say that Dallas stunts like crazed madmen, I'm not going to indict the blocking scheme when I'm not sure what it was originally supposed to do.  That said...yeah, you're right...from the image that's not a pretty look.

4 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I haven't charted plays but relying on Cooley's film reviews, Jay-Callahan's favorite run play is the duo.   And he likes to say that this specific run relies a lot on TE blocking and the Redskins TE blocking stinks (Reed and Davis) so its not a happy marriage.   

With the duo, you typically double team the DT's and the TE has to hold the edge and block the DE.  I made the same point last year and here's one of the clips I pulled then where Jordan Reed's whiffs on his block.  

Our TE sets with all our guys being one dimensional to different degrees -- especially now with Flanagan in the mix, also telegraph run-pass too often.  Jay also unlike lets say Kyle in SF doesn't throw much out of 12 personnel (2 TE sets).  Though Kyle has Kittle, a TE who can do it all.  Makes things easier.  

On this team if the QB isn't taking the ball from the shot gun and the running back and run blocking TE are lined up on the same side and tight -- the odds are pretty good that you are running and doing so on the strong side.   It would be great IMO to shake all of that up where its not as easy for the defense to be cued up to what's coming.  That's why to me a guy like Hockenson could be huge for this offense, he could hold the edge in the duo runs, can maul guys in space if Guice breaks loose, and is also a weapon in the passing game in his own right -- coupled with adding at least a little more confusion for defensive coordinators.

redskinsduo2.thumb.png.7216364aac5974272a92c621f1746d8a.png

At least Moses and Roullier are IN THE PLAY here.  The hole is clearly straight up the hash and Roullier is in the process of shedding and engaging with the ILB.  Then it Kelley goes off Roulliers right hip (hoping he clears) and it's an easy TD.

On the play I pointed out, there were NO O-lineman in the path of the RB, just 2 TEs and a WR.   I can't see how all 5 O-lineman would be blocking Left, and AP would run right without it being play design.  

2 minutes ago, OVCChairman said:

At least Moses and Roullier are IN THE PLAY here.  The hole is clearly straight up the hash and Roullier is in the process of shedding and engaging with the ILB.  Then it Kelley goes off Roulliers right hip (hoping he clears) and it's an easy TD.

On the play I pointed out, there were NO O-lineman in the path of the RB, just 2 TEs and a WR.   I can't see how all 5 O-lineman would be blocking Left, and AP would run right without it being play design.  

Sure though my point wasn't about that specific blocking scheme from that clip but about a scheme that relies heavily on TE blocking that don't have the horses to do it -- without tipping off the defense. 

13 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Sure though my point wasn't about that specific blocking scheme from that clip but about a scheme that relies heavily on TE blocking that don't have the horses to do it -- without tipping off the defense. 

I gotcha, i kind of went in a different direction and didnt meant to derail the thread, just stood out to me as alarming.  

I do like the looks of that TE you were talking about... a lot.  

2 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

2nd-3rd round TE, if we go there.  Maybe Kaden Smith?  I love Irv Smith but not sure he's there in the 2nd.

Every time I watch Kaden Smith I wish he could run just a liiiitttllee bit faster.  He looks like he runs a 4.8 or 4.9.  I think he's solid, I think he can contribute as a good 2nd TE, but he's got a clear ceiling.  Where do you draft someone like that?  3rd round?  4th?

Keim talked about receiver in an article he wrote the other day.  Yeah it feels like last year when we heard a lot about RB and it came true.  I'd bet the same about receiver this time.  Bruce typically isn't a big player in FA -- making the draft more of a need quest.  And like I said yesterday Doug sort of spilled the beans on that front last year.

They haven't according to Keim even started any negotiations with Preston.   I recall hearing the same about Garcon and others the years around this same juncture when they bolted for other teams in FA.

Last season it was Doug Williams talking to the media about Run Defense and RB were the statements coming out frequently.  This year it was Bruce Allen being a politician and talking a lot but saying nothing.  I don't think we've gotten the right people in front of the microphone to give us clues.  Maybe Keim is more clued in, but I hope it's not WR early in this draft.  Maybe Terry McLaurin (spelling?) in the 3rd round or something.

That is interesting about negotiation timing with Preston.  That might be a telling sign.

My point is if Preston leaves, I'd guess its WR, OG, Pass Rush.

If it's pass rush, I think that needs to happen Round 1.  There are 5 guys who show unusual talent.  After that there are some stiff in the hips bull rushers, or speed rushers without dynamic first step or bend or hand fighting ability.

WR has loads of options Day 2, so I think there's no rush there.  I happen to dislike most of those options, but I'm positive teams will think otherwise.  I haven't scouted around for Guard options, but from what I've read, the class has depth.

So I think we can be a bit more patient with WR and OG than otherwise.  That gives us some wiggle room to go CB, TE, or general BPA in the 2nd round.  Maybe someone like Germaine Pratt at ILB.

So here goes nothin' ... my off-season "let's do it" scenario if I were in charge. It's actually interesting how much cap space the Skins can easily create to get a couple things done in FA. Check it out ... this is all using FanSpeak

Cut:

- ILB Zach Brown, DL Stacy McGee, TE Vernon Davis

Cap Space: $38.9 Million

Re-Structure:
- LT Trent Williams, TE Jordan Reed

Cap Space: $46.9 Million (don't ask,FanSpeak did this behind the scenes calculation, assuming moved up guarantees and pushed back some $$ into later years)

Extend:
-RG Brandon Scherff (5 years, $68m)

Cap Space: $50.9 million (cap hit from $12.5 to $8.5m in Y1 new deal)

Re-Sign:

-QB Josh Johnson (2y/$2m), RB Adrian Peterson (2y/$5m), WR Jamison Crowder (4y/$24m), LG Jonathan Cooper (2y/$5m), LG Tony Bergstrom (2y/$3m), FS HaHa Clinton-Dix (5y/$40m)

Cap Space: $33 million

Free Agency:

-ILB Deone Bucannon (5y/$40m), Edge Shane Ray (4y/$28m), DL Danny Shelton (3y/$12m)

Cap Space: $18 million after all off-season moves --- $13 million when you account for Draft Pick Pool to carry into season / carryover in 2020

Draft:

1.15: Kyler Murray, QB Oklahoma

*Trade 2.14 to NYJ for 3.4 + 3.29 + 4.3

3.4: Kaden Smith, TE Stanford

3.12: Elgton Jenkins, C Miss State

3.29: Preston Williams, WR Colorado State

3.32: Saivon Smith, CB Alabama

4.3: Christian Miller, Edge Alabama

5.15: Bryce Love, RB Stanford

5.33: Renell Wren, DL Arizona State

6.32: Mook Reynolds, S Virginia Tech

7.13: Hunter Renfrow, SWR Clemson

Key areas depth after off-season:

Edge: Kerrigan, Anderson, Ray, Miller

ILB: R. Foster, Bucannon, Dion-Hamilton, M. Foster

WR: Doctson, Richardson, Crowder, Harris, Williams, Renfrow, Quinn

DL: Allen, Payne, Ionnidis, Settle, Shelton, Wren

OL: Trent - Roullier/Cooper, Jenkins, Scherff, Moses --- Roullier/Cooper, Christian, Bergstrom

TE: Reed, Smith, Sprinkle

QB: Murray, McCoy, Johnson (IR Smith)
RB: Guice, Peterson, Thompson, Perrine (IR-Love)

This FA/Draft combo really gives you some inexpensive contracts at key positions on offense, which is necessary considering that's where a bulk of your big contracts currently sit (Trent, Reed, Scherff, A. Smith, Moses, Richardson, Crowder). You'd have your presumed future starting QB, TE, C and WR on contracts from this draft to pair with Guice, Roullier, Doctson and Sprinkle also on their rookie deals (albeit the last for Doctson)

While on defense, you have drafted a lot of young talent on rookie contracts (including Foster, who has 2 more years and the 3rd year option on his rookie deal remaining) ... and you augment that with some FA dollars through HaHa, Ray and Bucannon.

2 hours ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

Every time I watch Kaden Smith I wish he could run just a liiiitttllee bit faster.  He looks like he runs a 4.8 or 4.9.  I think he's solid, I think he can contribute as a good 2nd TE, but he's got a clear ceiling.  Where do you draft someone like that?  3rd round?  4th?

I'm intrigued by Kaden Smith. He's young ... a R-So ... and I think in any given year he'd probably be competing with Fant and Smith as R1/2 discussions. Maybe that's still where he ends up. But with Stanford's coach saying he's ahead of where Zach Ertz was at this time in his progression ... I'm listening haha.

Given our situation with Reed still being a member of this team for at least another year ... and maybe 2 ... Smith could be looked to as his replacement while augmenting him in the pass/block game for the next year/2 as he's younger and probably a bit more raw.

Washington takes former Oklahoma QB Kyler Murray with the ninth pick in Mike Renner’s latest mock draft

BY DANIEL RYMER • WASHINGTON REDSKINS  ALEX SMITH • FEB 7, 2019Dec 29, 2018; Miami Gardens, FL, USA; Oklahoma Sooners quarterback Kyler Murray (1) scrambles in the 2018 Orange Bowl college football playoff semifinal game against the Alabama Crimson Tide at Hard Rock Stadium. Mandatory Credit: Jasen Vinlove-USA TODAY Sports

As their 7-9 record suggests, the Washington Redskins were a middle-of-the-pack team in 2018. Led by Alex Smith, the Redskins started off the season at 5-2 before ultimately losing Smith to injury and falling out of the playoff race. At this point, Smith’s broken leg is considered career-threatening, and Washington will have to consider other options in either the draft or free agency.

Alex Smith finished this past season with an overall grade of 70.2, which tied for 24th out of 39 qualifying quarterbacks. Although it’s not terribly bad, Smith’s grade still ranks in the bottom-half of quarterbacks, and the Redskins surely have hopes of not being a bottom-half team in 2019. Throughout Smith’s entire career, he’s always had the label of being a game-manager who doesn’t really test defenses down the field (outside of one freakish year in Andy Reid’s offense in 2017). That label proved true once again for Smith last season, as his average depth of throw was only 8.6 yards, which was the 18th-lowest in the NFL. With that said, Smith does do a good job of not turning the ball over, but it usually comes at the expense of scoring more points.

DyfJ4fwXQAAcvna.jpg:large

In a league where passing the ball around and racking up the points is as important as ever, the Redskins might want to take a look at the electric Kyler Murray out of Oklahoma, something Senior Analyst Mike Renner had them doing in his most recent mock draft. Murray has the talent to transform a conservative offense into one that aggressively puts up points. With an overall grade of 94.6 last season, Murray led all college quarterbacks in the country. His passing grade of 93.7 ranked first overall, and his rushing grade of 84.4 ranked second. Murray displayed top-notch accuracy, as his 78.9 adjusted completion percentage was tied for fourth in the nation.

Performance from a clean pocket is one of the most stable metrics there is for evaluating a quarterback, and Murray was unstoppable when kept clean. On 336 clean-pocket attempts, Murray threw 223 completions for 3,780 yards, 36 touchdowns, five interceptions and a passer rating of 144.4, ranking first overall. However, don’t think that Murray can only perform from a clean pocket; his passer rating of 103.3 when pressured ranks sixth in the country, and his adjusted completion percentage of 76.5% when pressured ranks second. Whether pressured or not, he destroyed defenses last season.

Murray also proved he can make the difficult throws that are required to be successful at the NFL level. He produced big-time throws with the best of them last season, as his big-time throw percentage of 7.7% was tied for eighth in the country out of 138 qualifying quarterbacks. Perhaps even more impressive is that he had a turnover-worthy play percentage of just 2.4%, tied for 22nd. By virtually every metric there is, Murray ranks among the elite, including running the football.

Murray’s lightning quickness makes him one of the best running quarterbacks we’ve ever seen, as evidenced by his 84.4 running grade, which ranked second among college quarterbacks last season. Murray showcased his speed all season long, as he put up the second-most runs of 10-plus yards (41) among quarterbacks. He also had the 11th-most avoided tackles (30) at the position. Murray ran the ball with some toughness as well, as he averaged 3.18 yards after contact, ranking 20th out of 92 qualifying quarterbacks.

There’s nothing that Murray can’t do. He can make all the throws in all different kinds of situations. He can also evade pass rushers and make people miss in the open field. Of course, he may be overlooked because of his 5-foot-10 stature, but he is a phenomenal talent, and he could be the Redskins’ very own Baker Mayfield or Patrick Mahomes; he can give hope and bring change to a team that needs one at the quarterback position. Last season, the Redskins often looked like they were one play-making quarterback away from taking that extra step towards the playoffs – Kyler Murray can be that quarterback.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-washington-takes-former-oklahoma-qb-kyler-murray-with-the-9th-pick-in-mike-renners-latest-mock-draft

5 minutes ago, RWJ said:

Another WR to keep an eye on is David Sills from WVU.

Draft geek types seem to think Sills will go mid roundish but will see.  Yeah in watching Grier, tough not to notice Sills.

As for 2nd round,  I think a lot of guys beyond Trapasso's mentions might be there:  Hakeem Butler, N'Keal Harry, Kelvin Harmon, Whiteside, P. Campbell.   Some might go late first round or early 2nd before our pick. 

Position value hierarchy:

Tier 1 - QB

Tier 2 - Edge

Tier 3 - Corner

Tier 4 - OT, OG, DT

Tier 5 - WR, TE

Tier 6 - RB, Stack LB

Tier 7 - S, OC

This is what I'd use to break ties in BPA.

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Those are weak edge options for round 2.  Many other positions would be BPA ahead of those names, not just WR.  I've got like a 7th round caliber grade on Granderson. for example.  And I wasn't particularly impressed with Jackson when I watched him live, my gut take was like third round for him.

Maybe some edge guys will fall into the second to offer really good value, but right now I'm doubting it.  That's a high demand position and it's a really strong first round group.  It feels like it's a first round edge guy or bust year.  There is a massive difference between getting a Clelin Ferrell or Jachai Polite in the first and having to settle for someone like Jackson in the second.  It wouldn't be worth making the investment at that point, and there is no way the position would be BPA over RB, Corner, or WR.

Now if something really unexpected happened like Zach Allen falling to our pick in the second round, that's a different story.

5 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Maybe some edge guys will fall into the second to offer really good value, but right now I'm doubting it.  That's a high demand position and it's a really strong first round group.  It feels like it's a first round edge guy or bust year.  There is a massive difference between getting a Clelin Ferrell or Jachai Polite in the first and having to settle for someone like Jackson in the second.  It wouldn't be worth making the investment at that point, and there is no way the position would be BPA over RB, Corner, or WR.

In the 2nd, am guessing you'd have:  Ferguson, Ximines, Omenihu in the mix.  Omenihu I noticed has gained some recent momentum with some who cover the draft.

But yeah the mid round first might be interesting for pass rusher.  Ferrell at least in mocks seems to be a major wild card fluctuating from top 10 to top 20.  I watched McShay's recent ESPN show about the draft the other day, he said he thinks Ferrell goes around the mid teens.  He's not the only one who thinks that.  But plenty think he's top 10.  So wide variance on him as to whether he is in our range versus not.  

2 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

In the 2nd, am guessing you'd have:  Ferguson, Ximines, Omenihu in the mix.  Omenihu I noticed has gained some recent momentum with some who cover the draft.

But yeah the mid round first might be interesting for pass rusher.  Ferrell at least in mocks seems to be a major wild card fluctuating from top 10 to top 20.  I watched McShay's recent ESPN show about the draft the other day, he said he thinks Ferrell goes around the mid teens.  He's not the only one who thinks that.  But plenty think he's top 10.  So wide variance on him as to whether he is in our range versus not.   

Yeah, haven't done Omenihu yet but I could see him ending up in that range just from going off what I saw in real time.  Haven't done the Georgia kid yet either, that's another potential name in that range from what I gather.  I'll probably end up grading Austin Bryant around a second round pick too.  Maybe Porter Gustin but probably not.

To me Ferrell is a no-brainer top ten talent, but there really isn't any such thing as a stone cold lock.  If he was there at 15, there would probably only be a couple guys ahead of him that could be BPA.  Murray and Oliver might be it.

I've been reading some studies about QBs and how to measure them.  The thought behind most isn't that they can peg successful QBs based on stats but they can peg likely failures based on stats.

I've not done my own research to check over the stats myself to see if these theories are right.

Among the theories, one is that scouts among other things look for QBs that have 63% or better completion, prefer high YPA throwers, and a 3:1 TD to INT ratio:

Based on that criteria we got:

Completion %     YPA     TD-INT ratio   QBR

Haskins  70%                  9.1        6.25              86.3 

Minschew 71%                7.2        4.22            78.3  

Murray   69%                   11.6       6                95.8

Grier       67%                     9.7      4.625        81.9

Rypien   67%                   8.3        4.28          71.8

Lock      63%                     8          3.5            81.8

Close to making it

Completion % YPA  TD-INT   QBR

Ta'amu    63.6%              9.4  2.375    68

Stidham   60.7%              7.6   3.6     62.9

Finley      67.4%              8.1    2.27    78.6 

Some of the lower ones

Comp %  YPA   TD-INT  QBR

T. Jackson  55.3%    7.7      2.33   74.8

D. Jones     60.5%    6.8      2.44   72

Some have concerns about turnover prone/high sack rate QBs.  I am sorting through those numbers but its looking like Jones is the worst.  Jones throws INTs, fumbles a lot and gets sacked a lot.  Sacked 28 times.  9 INTs.  5 fumbles -- 4 lost fumbles.   He's got the full trifecta cooking. 🙁

The point isn't that these stats alone are the be all and end all to gauge QBs.  But according to one article I read scouts are looking for good stats on those three categories and if QBs don't have them, its a red flag.    Jones for example doesn't met any of the criteria.  He has a relatively low completion rate in spite of the fact that he doesn't throw far typically -- according to one guy who charted him, a lot of safe short throws in the quick game and his accuracy really drops after 10 yards.  

Murray's numbers are sick considering his YPA. Granted Big 12 defenses aren't much to be reckoned with.   

But just to show, I am not just about beating Jones up, here's a nice article I stumbled upon that talks about his relationship with the Mannings. 😀

https://www.si.com/nfl/2019/02/07/daniel-jones-draft-quarterback-duke-david-cutcliffe-peyton-manning-eli-manning

5 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Washington takes former Oklahoma QB Kyler Murray with the ninth pick in Mike Renner’s latest mock draft

BY DANIEL RYMER • WASHINGTON REDSKINS  ALEX SMITH • FEB 7, 2019Dec 29, 2018; Miami Gardens, FL, USA; Oklahoma Sooners quarterback Kyler Murray (1) scrambles in the 2018 Orange Bowl college football playoff semifinal game against the Alabama Crimson Tide at Hard Rock Stadium. Mandatory Credit: Jasen Vinlove-USA TODAY Sports

As their 7-9 record suggests, the Washington Redskins were a middle-of-the-pack team in 2018. Led by Alex Smith, the Redskins started off the season at 5-2 before ultimately losing Smith to injury and falling out of the playoff race. At this point, Smith’s broken leg is considered career-threatening, and Washington will have to consider other options in either the draft or free agency.

Alex Smith finished this past season with an overall grade of 70.2, which tied for 24th out of 39 qualifying quarterbacks. Although it’s not terribly bad, Smith’s grade still ranks in the bottom-half of quarterbacks, and the Redskins surely have hopes of not being a bottom-half team in 2019. Throughout Smith’s entire career, he’s always had the label of being a game-manager who doesn’t really test defenses down the field (outside of one freakish year in Andy Reid’s offense in 2017). That label proved true once again for Smith last season, as his average depth of throw was only 8.6 yards, which was the 18th-lowest in the NFL. With that said, Smith does do a good job of not turning the ball over, but it usually comes at the expense of scoring more points.

In a league where passing the ball around and racking up the points is as important as ever, the Redskins might want to take a look at the electric Kyler Murray out of Oklahoma, something Senior Analyst Mike Renner had them doing in his most recent mock draft. Murray has the talent to transform a conservative offense into one that aggressively puts up points. With an overall grade of 94.6 last season, Murray led all college quarterbacks in the country. His passing grade of 93.7 ranked first overall, and his rushing grade of 84.4 ranked second. Murray displayed top-notch accuracy, as his 78.9 adjusted completion percentage was tied for fourth in the nation.

Performance from a clean pocket is one of the most stable metrics there is for evaluating a quarterback, and Murray was unstoppable when kept clean. On 336 clean-pocket attempts, Murray threw 223 completions for 3,780 yards, 36 touchdowns, five interceptions and a passer rating of 144.4, ranking first overall. However, don’t think that Murray can only perform from a clean pocket; his passer rating of 103.3 when pressured ranks sixth in the country, and his adjusted completion percentage of 76.5% when pressured ranks second. Whether pressured or not, he destroyed defenses last season.

Murray also proved he can make the difficult throws that are required to be successful at the NFL level. He produced big-time throws with the best of them last season, as his big-time throw percentage of 7.7% was tied for eighth in the country out of 138 qualifying quarterbacks. Perhaps even more impressive is that he had a turnover-worthy play percentage of just 2.4%, tied for 22nd. By virtually every metric there is, Murray ranks among the elite, including running the football.

Murray’s lightning quickness makes him one of the best running quarterbacks we’ve ever seen, as evidenced by his 84.4 running grade, which ranked second among college quarterbacks last season. Murray showcased his speed all season long, as he put up the second-most runs of 10-plus yards (41) among quarterbacks. He also had the 11th-most avoided tackles (30) at the position. Murray ran the ball with some toughness as well, as he averaged 3.18 yards after contact, ranking 20th out of 92 qualifying quarterbacks.

There’s nothing that Murray can’t do. He can make all the throws in all different kinds of situations. He can also evade pass rushers and make people miss in the open field. Of course, he may be overlooked because of his 5-foot-10 stature, but he is a phenomenal talent, and he could be the Redskins’ very own Baker Mayfield or Patrick Mahomes; he can give hope and bring change to a team that needs one at the quarterback position. Last season, the Redskins often looked like they were one play-making quarterback away from taking that extra step towards the playoffs – Kyler Murray can be that quarterback.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-washington-takes-former-oklahoma-qb-kyler-murray-with-the-9th-pick-in-mike-renners-latest-mock-draft

Not sure if I'd compare Murray to Mayfield or Mahomes. He has much less starting experience than those guys did (BM was a 4 year starter and PM was a 2.5 year starter), is much smaller than them, and Murray a runner as opposed to those guys who are scramblers. Those two guys picked up a decent amount of yards in college but they used their legs more often to extend plays or in certain situations. Murray is a runner; way too often he breaks the pocket and just tucks the ball and takes off IMO. That spells trouble to me. The yards after contact stuff to me is a bad thing. I don't want my QB getting yards after contact because I don't want him getting contact at all unless absolutely necessary...especially when he's quite possibly the same size as Chris Thompson. 

Murray has some amazing talent but there are just some huge alarms when I watch him play. The baseball stuff just makes it worse. If we had a truly innovative coach then I'd say it might be worth the risk if he falls to us. But Jay is basically the polar opposite of that so I just don't see us being able to use a guy like Murray correctly. 

1 minute ago, mistertim said:

Murray has some amazing talent but there are just some huge alarms when I watch him play. The baseball stuff just makes it worse. If we had a truly innovative coach then I'd say it might be worth the risk if he falls to us. But Jay is basically the polar opposite of that so I just don't see us being able to use a guy like Murray correctly. 

Some (like Craig Hoffman) suggest whether Kevin O'Connell calls the plays or not this year might be dependent on who the QB is. If its Colt it might be Jay.  If it ends up Murray, it might be O'Connell.  O'Connell has good experience with spread offenses and actually worked closely with Murray in a QB camp years back. 

@stevemcqueen1Yeah, I’m with you - sure seems like edge rusher in the 1st is the value spot.  Lots of corners and receivers (and safeties) that I’d be happy to add in the 2nd-3rd.  I haven’t paid any attention to olinemen, but that range makes a lot more sense from a value standpoint.  Wildcard to me is Hockenson, or a stud dropping.  I’d say G too, but as I said, the financial value isn’t there, IMO.  

I don't see Walker dropping to our 2nd.  Looking forward to your breakdown of him.  I’d be happy with Winovich, but I believe you see him differently.  Did you grade Gustin?  If so, I’d be curious to read your thoughts there too.

@SkinsinparadiseGood info re. qbs.  Stidham is interesting because his completion percentage was much higher the year before (and at Baylor), and his YPA was higher last year (2017 I mean) too.  Astronomically higher at Baylor (11.2 or something).  I’m curious what the reason is for the drop off.  Baylor to Auburn I get, but dropping significantly year 1 to year 2 in Auburn I’m not sure about (I don’t follow cfb live though).  

I think Cinci is a big wildcard to try and get Murray.  They have a new young coach.  Need to build some buzz around the team.  They have weapons, got two o-lineman last year.  Dalton is just meh (you can win with him, but he's not a franchise guy).  I could see them trading up to get Murray.  If Williams, Bosa, and Allen are gone, I think Oakland will move down for the best package to a team that wants a QB.  I could also see the Jets moving down considering they don't have a 2nd rounder.

Archived