Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2019 Comprehensive Draft Thread

Going Commando

@SkinsinparadiseI think you forgot Polite on that list.  I actually think Sweat could go before our pick, but I can understand why you don’t have him listed.  I’ll be a little surprised if Gary goes top 15, but a lot of mocks have him up going early, so I get why you have him there (I’m with @stevemcqueen1 though - I just don’t see it with him).  

Although I’d like to land an edge rusher in the 1st, if Ferrell and Polite are gone, I’m not sure I would go with Sweat/Burns over Baker/Murphy (if they’re still there), or an olineman (depending on who’s still on the board).  Hockenson would be a good pick too, but I wonder if the FO thinks we’re set (for another year) with the trio we have and therefore not prioritize TE.  

5 minutes ago, skinny21 said:

@SkinsinparadiseI think you forgot Polite on that list.  I actually think Sweat could go before our pick, but I can understand why you don’t have him listed.  I’ll be a little surprised if Gary goes top 15, but a lot of mocks have him up going early, so I get why you have him there (I’m with @stevemcqueen1 though - I just don’t see it with him).  

Pretty rare for me to see Polite, Sweat, or Burns in the top 15 but they are on occasion.  I mentioned the ones I see the most top 15.  That's why I said we likely have our pick of those three.  There is an off chance Ferrell drops to 15, I see that happen on occasion.   But I also see him a lot from 5-10. 

That assuming there is something to the mocks and that's arguable. Combine as we know usually changes some opinions among other things.    Polite and Burns in particular who some suspect are athletic freaks -- could change their trajectory after the combine.  But my main point is something has to give, someone has to drop.   All these guys, many of whom we've discussed, aren't going to fit in the top 14.   

Pre-Combine mock (first of the year, no trades):

1)  Cards-Williams

2)  49ers-Bosa

3)  Jets-Allen

4)  Raiders-Devin White (draft falls off a tier here.  I think they'd love to trade down to a team who wants their QB of choice).  I'm giving them a LB who fills a huge need.

5)  TB-Jonah Williams (Arians wants to win now.  Need to improve o-line.  Donovan Smith is a FA)

6)  Giants-Haskins 

7)  Jags-Murray

8-Detroit-Oliver (Think he fits their scheme)

9)  Bills-Cody Ford (Have to improve o-line for Allen)

10)  Denver-Lock

11)  Bengals-Ferrell (Their pass rushers are aging)

12)  GB-Polite (Matthews is near the end)

13)  Miami-Wilkins (They put an emphasis on leadership with Fitzpatrick last year.  Think they do the same with Wilkins)

14)  Atlanta-Gary

15)  Redskins-Hokenson

17 hours ago, volsmet said:

What are your thoughts on Haskins?

Question with him is how much would we give up to get him and would he be worth it...I am not sure. The only real knock that I've seen that I agree with is his weakness when being pressured. But, most QBs don't do well when they are getting hit. 

The other thing with him is...he still has some growing to do. If Jay is gone next year, and a whole new regime comes in, it may hurt his growth more than others. Now if he made it to 15 id be happy to have him. That just isn't happening. I am not normally against it to get a QB, but with our current situation, i wouldn't feel great about burning picks in a trade. 

23 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Interesting if so and a bit obnoxious.  Plenty for weeks on twitter joked that Murray plays baseball if the Redskins draft him.  Lol, maybe that's actually a possibility and if it goes this way at least they'd be warned.

Again, I would have the guy sign something with the NFL to protect a team's right not to lose their 1st round pick if he decided to play BB instead of FB.

1 hour ago, RWJ said:

Again, I would have the guy sign something with the NFL to protect a team's right not to lose their 1st round pick if he decided to play BB instead of FB.

How would be remotely enforceable? I see that as being no greater of a guarantee than a handshake. He could always elect to "retire" from football at any given moment. And the NFL doesn't give refunds on draft picks

I watched Murray's interview after hearing Dukes talk about it, I'm not sure that I've seen a perceived top pick come off so entitled and arrogant.

I don't see his passion for wanting to play football.

I really hope the FO can see through his BS and stay away from him.

1 hour ago, HigSkin said:

Think Murray should've probably avoided doing interviews....LOL

Jesus Christ. On the plus side, that was an entertaining interview by Dan Patrick. Huge no thank you on Kyler Murray. I had been warming up to him as a prospect, but I don't know how you could watch that video and want any part of drafting Kyler Murray. 

It's not as if the Skins will be on his short list of teams to which he is willing to go. He came off as though he is playing baseball and this is all just a big ploy to gain more leverage with the A's, but even if that isn't true, that interview and the fact that Murray is going to try to dictate his destination reek of everything I hate about the NBA. Entitled players dictating the cities in which they are willing to play. In the NBA, you can only hope to have a team with regular title hopes if you are in Miami, NY, Boston, California, or maybe Texas.  Every other team in every other city has to deal with constantly losing their stars because all of the NBA players only want to play in major cities and on a team filled with other max players or all stars. I can't wait until The Greek Freak and Anthony Davis both play in LA or NY. Even a super cool city like New Orleans can't keep an NBA star happy. Maybe it's sour grapes, but I'm inclined to let some other team take the risk on the 5'9" and 7/8 baseball player. Draft defense, OL and some playmakers and go all in for a QB next year or in 2021. 

Also, I can't believe we are considering Daniel Jones. His YPA, AYPA, total yards, total TD's, TD to INT ratio are all mediocre to poor. His arm strength is mediocre to poor. I don't think his arm looks anywhere near as strong as Grier's, for instance. He looked bad all week at the senior bowl. He reportedly picked up the offense more slowly than Drew Lock. If one of the main attractions to Jones is that he has had superior coaching, shouldn't that show up in his stats and his ability to pick up a new offense? Isn't it worrisome that he's had better coaching than everyone else and still looks so mediocre? I think that the fact that he's had such great coaching should be viewed as a negative. In what way is Daniel Jones a better prospect than Gabbert was? Gabbert's stat's were comparably unimpressive, but his arm/tools were significantly better. I think Jones' CEILING is a solid backup. 

8 hours ago, mhd24 said:

Pre-Combine mock (first of the year, no trades):

1)  Cards-Williams

2)  49ers-Bosa

3)  Jets-Allen

4)  Raiders-Devin White (draft falls off a tier here.  I think they'd love to trade down to a team who wants their QB of choice).  I'm giving them a LB who fills a huge need.

5)  TB-Jonah Williams (Arians wants to win now.  Need to improve o-line.  Donovan Smith is a FA)

6)  Giants-Haskins 

7)  Jags-Murray

8-Detroit-Oliver (Think he fits their scheme)

9)  Bills-Cody Ford (Have to improve o-line for Allen)

10)  Denver-Lock

11)  Bengals-Ferrell (Their pass rushers are aging)

12)  GB-Polite (Matthews is near the end)

13)  Miami-Wilkins (They put an emphasis on leadership with Fitzpatrick last year.  Think they do the same with Wilkins)

14)  Atlanta-Gary

15)  Redskins-Hokenson

I'd honestly trade down and save TE for later in the draft for someone like Gentry or Moreau. I'd like to see them really incorporate Sprinkle into the gameplanning this year. 

Crappy interview.  He was poorly prepared for it.  But it changes nothing.  Makes no sense for him to go to the combine.  Makes no sense for him to commit to playing football right now.  Not unless he gets a promise to get picked in the first round from somebody.  The only move that makes sense for him is to report to spring training and play baseball until he gets a promise from someone.

4 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

I'm actually excited about him bombing that interview.  I'm kind of hoping he bombs the pre-draft process because I believe it is the only chance he'll fall to us at 15.

Skins could actually stand to move up 3-5 spots and take him too.  I wouldn't mind that.  

18 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

I'm actually excited about him bombing that interview.  I'm kind of hoping he bombs the pre-draft process because I believe it is the only chance he'll fall to us at 15.

What the hell is wrong with you guys wanting to draft him? he could change his mind at any point while playing in the NFL to go play Baseball and we would be **** out of luck..I wouldn't draft that guy until at least the 5th round and thats not even figuring his lack of size. 

16 minutes ago, bh32 said:

What the hell is wrong with you guys wanting to draft him? he could change his mind at any point while playing in the NFL to go play Baseball and we would be **** out of luck..I wouldn't draft that guy until at least the 5th round and thats not even figuring his lack of size.  

Do you think the Seahawks regret drafting Russell Wilson?  Regret giving him a massive deal?

Just now, stevemcqueen1 said:

Do you think the Seahawks regret drafting Russell Wilson?  Regret giving him a massive deal?

This guy isn't even close to Russell Wilson in size or commitment..too much talent in the 1st to take a chance on someone like him.

4 minutes ago, bh32 said:

This guy isn't even close to Russell Wilson in size or commitment..too much talent in the 1st to take a chance on someone like him. 

He's an inch shorter than Wilson.  You know about his commitment?  Not to mention Russell Wilson played pro baseball for two years, left his college program in order to play baseball, and still spends his springs participating in spring training for various teams.

1 minute ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

He's an inch shorter than Wilson.  You know about his commitment?  Not to mention Russell Wilson played pro baseball for two years, left his college program in order to play baseball, and still spends his springs participating in spring training for various teams.

LOL that guy is probably 5''9 or less and weighs about 180 lbs soaking wet..never played in a pro style offense and you want to take a chance on him at 15? You would think some people would learn after the RG3 fiasco..

To each their own and I get people's concerns about Murray. 

But I don't fault him much for those interviews. Unlike other prospects, he does not have an agent who is coaching him and preparing him.

The only aspect of that interview that put me off is it's clear he hasn't landed what sport he is playing yet or is not done leveraging the situation.

But I think as a player he is a potential stud and IMO we would be lucky to have him drop to 15.  

I get its apples to oranges to compare it to Guice but we got a lucky break that he dropped as far as he did because of fears about his character that had nothing to do with any criminal act or real misdeed.  Now we feel lucky to have him.

If Murray decides to play football then he will hire an agent. And if I am the Redskins I would push hard to see if Murray wants to play for them and will eschew his baseball dream. And if they are reassured that is the case, then take him if he falls to 15. And if you do not feel reassured, then do not.

But that is the dude I want the most right now in this Qb class and my take is the fact that we are picking at 15 would require a lucky break to land him. And if its something like this I am on board.

I get he is risky but I am a no guts no glory guy especially at qb.

5 minutes ago, Redskins Reparations said:

You honestly believe he would want to play for team where the starting quarterback and backup each broke their legs?

Do not know and on this very thread I previously posed the question of whether he would want to play here.  I've posted more than most about what a crap show this front office is. I get it. So I think it's possible he would not want to play here.

But my point is if and when the dude hires an agent, the agent typically tips off the team if they have a problem playing for a team if the player plans to leverage that. 

For example it was not a shock that Eli didn't want to play for SD.

But being in the Redskins shoes I would at least check. I do not think it's a slam dunk he would not play here. Years ago Kyler did a camp with O'Connell, so who knows maybe O'Connell can talk him into it if he has reservations.

Archived