Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2019 Comprehensive Draft Thread

Going Commando

41 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

I’m sorry but I don’t see how his non commitment to playing football won’t affect his draft position. no team in their right mind is going to select a QB, someone you build an entire offense around, without knowing 100% they’re on board. Even now I’m sure a lot of teams are moving him down just because of the fact he’s not on board completely with football. Also, if it’s really only about the money for him then no thanks. I get it, but not what I’m looking for in a captain. He already has enough issues with his size and the run style he plays. You look at the most successful QBs and rarely do they play like Murray.  

He doesn't need to publicly commit to football.  That kind of stuff will happen in direct contact with the teams themselves, through meetings and back channel conversations.

It's about the money for everyone.  I could love playing baseball more than anything in the world but if I can make tens of millions dollars more playing football, which I also love playing BTW, then I'm going to play football.  And vice versa.  Choosing between football and baseball is something that a lot of great players have done in the past and they almost always following the money in the end.

There haven't been many QBs like Kyler Murray period.  He's a rare and unique talent.  But one guy who does play like him is Russell Wilson and Wilson is one of the best players in the NFL.

These are some projected “sweet spots” for each position in the 2019 NFL Draft.

Quarterback

Sweet Spot: First Round

I’ll start by saying I don’t think this quarterback class is very good, but with that said, if you need one and you don’t take a chance on one in the first round, those guys in the later rounds likely won’t be worth it at all.

If you need a quarterback immediately for next year, you better hope you get your hands on Dwayne Haskins, Kyler Murray or Drew Lock, all of which will be gone after the first round. After that, you’d be really rolling the dice with guys like Daniel Jones, Brett Rypien and Will Grier to start early on in their careers.

The first round may be the “sweet spot” just for where the talent is, but it’s not a great class anywhere top to bottom.

...Edge Defender

Pick any of the first round guys and your money will be well worth it.

Nick Bosa, Clelin Ferrell, Jachai Polite, Josh Allen, Brian Burns; if you can end up with any of those guys on your team, you won’t regret the premium pick spent on them.

I don’t see any player in the later rounds that could give you the potential production those guys can, and for that, the sweet spot has to stay in round one.

...Cornerback

Sweet Spot: Second Round

For the first round cornerbacks, Greedy Williams is good, but I have my reservations. I like Byron Murphy a lot, but he’s just one player. Deandre Baker is likely going in the first round, but how much better is he than the early Day 2 guys?

That’s where the second round sweet spot comes in. A first for Amani Oruwaiyemight be a bit rich, but a second round pick makes sense. You can also get guys like Lonnie Johnson, Julian Love, Trayvon Mullen here. Heck, in the third round you can likely get Rock Ya-Sin, Montre Hartage and Jimmy Moreland. I like the third round value even more than the first round value.

https://thedraftnetwork.com/2019/02/02/sweet-spots-for-every-position-in-2019-nfl-draft/

3 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

As for the combine.  Just spit balling some guesses, focusing purely on the prospects I'd consider for the Redskins:

DK. Metcalf -- he can show he's healed from his neck injury and run in the 4.4s at 230 pounds, wow

M. Brown -- for a speed receiver, crazy speed or not might be a factor with him.  4.3-4.4 good.  4.5 plus is not good.

P. Campbell -- same point as Brown

A. Isabella -- has some buzz, some think he has crazy speed, will see

D. Jones -- got mixed reviews at best for the senior bowl, does he show off some athleticism at the combine?  and maybe an ounce of personality?

K.  Murray -- if he goes, great place for him to showcase himself

T. Jackson -- show off his potential athletic freakish abilities?

Irv Smith, Noah Fant -- some say these dudes have the speed of a receiver, will see

Polite, Burns, Sweat, Ferrell -- their 10-40 times

Devin Bush -- at his size he can't get away with pedestrian speed if he's going high

Devin White -- big dude, if he runs fast too then he draft stock might climb

Germaine Pratt-Te'von Coney -- both had good production but some suspect they are slow.  Will see

All the corners as for speed but maybe in particular Deandre Baker who some say has great technique but doesn't have special speed

Nasir Adderley:  speed

What do you think of the 3-cone? I have an unusual fascination with those results, they played an embarrassingly significant role in my belief that Cajuste was going to do things in the nfl. I’m still recovering from that prognostication.

🙁

Germaine Pratt 🤔 — I know what time it is, YouTube time.

2 hours ago, PartyPosse said:

Honestly, the way draft gurus have been flip flopping on who the best WR in the draft is says it doesn’t make a lot of sense to draft one in the first. There are far too many legit prospects tat we can get one in at least the second or third 

Marquise Brown

AJ Brown

Harry

Metcalf

Harmon

Arcega

Deebo 

Ridley

johnson

Butler

and to a less extent Renfrow

giphy.gif

1 hour ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

That kid can really run too, for a big guy.

Yeah, he’s got a quick release, a great arm, he can move. He’s like a big ghetto Drew Lock. 

1 hour ago, PartyPosse said:

I disagree. If he legit wants to show teams he’s interested in playing football then he’ll go to the combine, have a pro day etc. right now he’s sliding fast because he’s not giving teams any sort of reassurance.

But he may believe he can’t raise his stock by having a pro day etc, he’s got the world intrigued & in search of the next Wilson/Mahomes/Shuler.

1 hour ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

I haven't evaluated them yet.  I've watched a little of Granderson but not Collier.  Every time I shoot from the hip my first take ends up being way off.  I'll watch cut ups for Collier and Granderson though.  I still have to do them, Zach Allen, Ferguson, Winovich, Burns, Gustin, Omenihu, and DeAndre Walker.  And I'd also like to revisit Austin Bryant, Christian Miller, Joe Jackson, and Ximines to really solidify my feelings on them.

That, I’m excited about. Granderson & Collier showed a little something at the sr bowl, but you’re so far ahead of me on everyone, I’m eager to see what you & the guys here think of all these prospects. I hadn’t realized there was a group on any forum that was as gifted, knowledgeable, thorough & passionate about the draft as a few of you are - it’s incredible to take in & then watch for myself. Seeing both sides of the Jones debate was fascinating, not many people would watch that Clemson game, a game without a TD, & think it was a positive, much less share that belief. Talking to people about prospects they always play it safe if there is anyone they don’t know listening, it’s refreshing to see people believe in themselves enough to risk being wrong. The draft process is full of more hedging than Bridgewater associates & Sonic combined.

tumblr_o67wghopuE1ucong7o1_400.gif

1 hour ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

I don't think this will effect his draft stock.  All he needs is a promise from one team, which very well could be Arizona at #1.  He's already made his case for picking him high with his crazy film.  Now it's just about dancing with teams to try and get picked in the first round and go to a team with an open starting job.

His decision on whether to play football or baseball is going to come down to money.  It has to.  He'll pick the sport where he will make the most money.  If we draft him at 15 and he can sign a much richer contract than the one he gets from Oakland, he'll pick us.  That's what anyone would do.  The only thing we'd have to worry about is the A's renegotiating his contract and giving him more money than we can offer.  But it's Oakland.  They're not flush and they're not going to break contract records for prospects.

Perhaps he’s being coy because he has the promise in hand?

48 minutes ago, Redskins Reparations said:

He reminds me of a young Vernon Davis. His neck injury is cause for serious concern.

David Boston with less interesting eyewear.

29 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

I love playing Wiffle ball more than anything in the world

giphy.gif

32 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Quarterback

I’ll start by saying I don’t think this quarterback class is very good, but with that said, if you need one and you don’t take a chance on one in the first round, those guys in the later rounds likely won’t be worth it at all.

If you need a quarterback immediately for next year, you better hope you get your hands on Dwayne Haskins, Kyler Murray or Drew Lock, all of which will be gone after the first round. After that, you’d be really rolling the dice with guys like Daniel Jones, Brett Rypien and Will Grier to start early on in their careers.

The first round may be the “sweet spot” just for where the talent is, but it’s not a great class anywhere top to bottom.

...Edge Defender

Pick any of the first round guys and your money will be well worth it.

Nick Bosa, Clelin Ferrell, Jachai Polite, Josh Allen, Brian Burns; if you can end up with any of those guys on your team, you won’t regret the premium pick spent on them.

I don’t see any player in the later rounds that could give you the potential production those guys can, and for that, the sweet spot has to stay in round one.

...Cornerback

Sweet Spot: Second Round

For the first round cornerbacks, Greedy Williams is good, but I have my reservations. I like Byron Murphy a lot, but he’s just one player. Deandre Baker is likely going in the first round, but how much better is he than the early Day 2 guys?

That’s where the second round sweet spot comes in. A first for Amani Oruwaiyemight be a bit rich, but a second round pick makes sense. You can also get guys like Lonnie Johnson, Julian Love, Trayvon Mullen here. Heck, in the third round you can likely get Rock Ya-Sin, Montre Hartage and Jimmy Moreland. I like the third round value even more than the first round value.

https://thedraftnetwork.com/2019/02/02/sweet-spots-for-every-position-in-2019-nfl-draft/

I loved Trayvon Mullen a year ago, but he didn’t seem quite as explosive/quick this year, I look forward to watching him more closely, he’s a gifted kid.

Where is Walker (UGA) projected. My dude Mecole is getting some hype, rotoworld had a note that some teams may look at him as a corner. His combine should be excellent.

14 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

And what's his downside(s) ?

Idk, I just watched him for the first time 2 minutes before that post. I just assume the downside is massive because I hadn’t heard of him until I scrolled down walterfootballs list of QBs & decided to watch the guys projected in rounds 5-udfa. 

@volsmet I like Walker a lot.  Nice motor, good speed, decent size, looks like he could gain 5-10 lbs without a problem.  Athletic enough to drop if needed.  I think he was starting to put it together as a senior.  

He had a game vs Bama - 1 clean sack, 1 called back because he got his hands up Williams’ chin, and a third that they might have ruled an incomplete pass (couldn’t tell from the cut up - probably incomplete, but maybe a sack fumble).  Also forced a fumble and had two more pressures, one leading to a pick, the second an errant throw.  

In other games he showed more vs the run.  He doesn’t slack off and can get through the trash to wrap up.  I’m guessing he goes late 1st to mid second because he doesn’t have any elite traits (like Sweat’s speed and Burns’ height) or the big stats (like Polite) though the combine could be big for him in terms of explosion/quickness scores.  

Sticking to OLB, I know I’ve already talked about him, but Winovich is a really fun watch.  Just a mad dog out there... you almost expect him to be foaming at the mouth.  

2 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Quarterback

Skins really need a full time qualified GM to make decisions that are in the best long-term interests of the club.  Don't make decisions in desperation.  Maybe you take a flier on the second tier not with the expectation of them becoming a starter but rather to fill the necessary back-up role.  That way the Skins can avoid having to hire a new QB off the streets and start him 4 days later.

I just caught a rotoworld blurb that suggested Wren May be a good fit for Dallas in round 2, so I put on a game of his & immediately his physical attributes stand out, but have you guys ever seen a dt use his arms more poorly? 2 minutes in I had to shut this thing down, it felt relatively useless because he won’t ever be seen playing with this technique again, his burst will be validated or invalidated at the combine, his measurables are interesting, his arm length looks tremendous, but he doesn’t use it. He attacks Olineman like he wants to tickle their love handles, what is going on with the fighting Herms in Death Valley? SIPs guy, Ledyard, had Wren at 76 in his top 100, this looks like a talent waiting to be molded into something, potentially, special; if he produced anything playing with this technique, he must be a bit of a freak. 

3 hours ago, clskinsfan said:

I should be done with RB tape this weekend or early next week. I will put out my top ten next week sometime.

I have to admit, I’ve put off (looking at) backs because I think we’re returning AP (and we have a lot of needs), but it sure would be nice to add a good back.  Particularly one that could carry the load while Guice recovers, serve as a one-two punch with him, and perhaps even take over for Thompson.  

Bobby Okereke (LB - Stanford) - nice punch against blockers, excellent balance, gets skinny through the line, and he’s fluid athlete.  Occasionally misses someone in coverage, but also did some subtle things - signaling another backer he was passing off a receiver, picking up guys out of the backfield, looked like he had some understanding of route concepts, etc.  Showed some tight coverage at times to make qbs look away.  

Wrote this after watching him vs Notre Dame:  He just never seems to run,  he just jogs everywhere.  

He looked better in this respect vs Oregon though; he showed off the wheels I suspected he had.  

Little more weight (listed at 238), coaching and some time in a system and I think he could go anywhere from quality backup to very solid starter.  I do wonder if he might fit better as a weak side backer, but he can definitely play ILB.  

@volsmetDon’t know him (just watched the tape you posted), but yeah, with some (ok, a lot) of technique help, you're right, he could be special.  His feet are super quick for his size (295!) and I like his motor, really moves well.  Nice burst off the line.  Almost looks like a basketball player out there.  That drop into coverage... didn’t look out of place doing it, which is crazy.  Almost looked like he was tasked with spying the qb a couple/few times if his rush was stymied, though I’m guessing that wasn’t the case, lol.  His body type is strange though - he’s got the gut, but maybe not the butt/tree trunks.  It’ll be interesting to see what teams will want him to do with it.  I can see the 2nd round grade - really good clay to work with, particularly given the motor he shows - that tells me he’s got a passion for the game.  

6 hours ago, skinny21 said:

@volsmet I like Walker a lot.  Nice motor, good speed, decent size, looks like he could gain 5-10 lbs without a problem.  Athletic enough to drop if needed.  I think he was starting to put it together as a senior.  

He had a game vs Bama - 1 clean sack, 1 called back because he got his hands up Williams’ chin, and a third that they might have ruled an incomplete pass (couldn’t tell from the cut up - probably incomplete, but maybe a sack fumble).  Also forced a fumble and had two more pressures, one leading to a pick, the second an errant throw.  

In other games he showed more vs the run.  He doesn’t slack off and can get through the trash to wrap up.  I’m guessing he goes late 1st to mid second because he doesn’t have any elite traits (like Sweat’s speed and Burns’ height) or the big stats (like Polite) though the combine could be big for him in terms of explosion/quickness scores.  

Sticking to OLB, I know I’ve already talked about him, but Winovich is a really fun watch.  Just a mad dog out there... you almost expect him to be foaming at the mouth.  

As a high school prospect Walkers explosion was phenomenal, as you’d expect from a UGA DE/edge/olb recruit, then he didn’t play a ton, but he always jumped out when I he did. I believe you mentioned him a week ago, he’s awfully talented for a guy no buzz at all. 

Chase is a guy I haven’t seen a lot of, I used to think he was on tv all the time just because he was the white dude with long hair. Time to toss on some Chase.

@skinny21 I don’t know how Winovich graded out for pff, but I haven’t seen too many DEs make life less comfortable for the big tackles of ND, certainly Chase was more problematic than Gary in the first game I took in. Impressive.

@volsmetAgreed about the buzz on Walker.  There’s a lot of talent in the 1st, but when a dude can play like that vs Alabama... well, it’s gotta be catching some FO’s attention.  Thanks for sharing that graphic.  Good stuff.  

Re. Winovich - one of my favorite things about him is the (I’m blanking on the term) grab and pull down vs tackles after his rush gets stopped.  They always talk about a backup plan if your initial move doesn’t work... I don’t see many of these guys do much of anything when that happens, but Winovich just doesn’t stay blocked it seems.  

BTW, I forgot to mention about that clip of Wren - don’t know if you caught that spin move he pulled?  That was smoother than most of the OLBs I’ve watched.  He’s practically a ballerina playing NT.  Someone’s gonna be happy with him playing the 3T IMO.  

6 hours ago, skinny21 said:

@volsmetAgreed about the buzz on Walker.  There’s a lot of talent in the 1st, but when a dude can play like that vs Alabama... well, it’s gotta be catching some FO’s attention.  Thanks for sharing that graphic.  Good stuff.  

Re. Winovich - one of my favorite things about him is the (I’m blanking on the term) grab and pull down vs tackles after his rush gets stopped.  They always talk about a backup plan if your initial move doesn’t work... I don’t see many of these guys do much of anything when that happens, but Winovich just doesn’t stay blocked it seems.  

BTW, I forgot to mention about that clip of Wren - don’t know if you caught that spin move he pulled?  That was smoother than most of the OLBs I’ve watched.  He’s practically a ballerina playing NT.  Someone’s gonna be happy with him playing the 3T IMO.  

He’s the exact opposite of Wren, he uses his arms extraordinarily well, the bull jerk you refer to is something he displayed a lot of power with. Where is Winovich being projected? Wren has the talent you covet & just enough bad film to push him down in the draft. It was very odd how easily he let the OL from Washington get control of him, he just handed his chest over time after time, then you’d see his athleticism & his arms are obviously long & it makes you wonder what he’s doing. No coach was teaching him to do that, I bet Herm lit him up, perhaps that game was early in the season.

This is what you want to see 😍

15 hours ago, volsmet said:

What do you think of the 3-cone? I have an unusual fascination with those results, they played an embarrassingly significant role in my belief that Cajuste was going to do things in the nfl. I’m still recovering from that prognostication.

🙁

Good measure for stop and go for skill positions and Cbs.  But I admit I have a hard time with that one because I don't recall the better scores for it, I tend to focus on 40-10 split-vertical jump,

23 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Good measure for stop and go for skill positions and Cbs.  But I admit I have a hard time with that one because I don't recall the better scores for it, I tend to focus on 40-10 split-vertical jump,

Explosion is the key for sip, I can’t argue with those, I love the 10 for lineman & WRs. Get up the field in a hurry & you’re going to have the potential to cause problems. Discomfort is the name of the game, got to make your matchup uncomfortable at as many spots, on as many snaps, as possible. Your boy Brown would bring us that.

Interesting 7 rounder:

Howard, Granderson, Mecole, Doss, Mitchell, Ta’amu, Mitchell, Christmas, Cowart, Tranquill, Collier, Thorson, Godwin, Hall, Samia, Edoga, Campbell, Bell, Stidham, Love, Cam Smith, Anderson (didn't realize he was in this class), Gaines, Jelks, McLaurin, Sills, Holyfield, Meyers all in rounds 5-7, & I’ll trade back all day if that’s anywhere near accurate. Rather than fighting for udfa’s, load up on round 7 picks. Derwin, Phillips & Jansen arent drafted at all, I’m in.

The 4th round is absolutely loaded...

https://draftwire.usatoday.com/2019/01/29/2019-nfl-mock-draft-7-rounds-dwayne-haskins-kyler-murray-nick-bosa-quinnen-williams/6/

Trade back all day, add the first next year and start the process of accumulating picks. 

Some perspective on the cost to "go up" in the draft.  Looks like if Skins want to move up  a few spots, it'd be something similar to the 2018 Cardinals cost to move up to #10.

2016 Rams traded up from 15 to pick Jared Goff. They gave up two 1st rounders, two 2nds and two 3rds. They got back the first overall pick, a 4th rounder and 6th rounder.

2016 Eagles traded up from pick 13 to draft Carson Wentz. They gave up Byron Maxwell and Kiko Alonso to move to pick 8. They gave up two 1st rounders, a 2nd, 3rd and 4th rounder. They got the second overall pick and a 4th rounder in return.

2016 Broncos traded up from the 31st pick to select Paxton Lynch. They gave up a 1st rounder and a 3rd round pick. They received the 26th overall pick.

2017 Bears traded from the 3rd overall pick to select Mitch Trubisky. They gave up a 1st rounder, two 3rd rounders and a 4th rounder. They received the second overall pick on exchange.

2017 Chiefs moved up from 27 to select Patrick Mahomes. They gave up two 1st round picks and a 3rd rounder. They received the 10th overall selection.

2017 Texans moved up from the 25th pick to select Deshaun Watson. They gave up two 1st rounders. They received the 12th overall pick.

2018 Jets traded up from the 6th overall pick to select Sam Darnold. They gave up a 1st rounder and three 2nd rounders. They received the 3rd overall pick in exchange.

2018 Bills moved up from 21 to pick Josh Allen. They traded Cordy Glenn for the 12th overall pick. Then they traded a 1st round pick and two 2nd rounders to move up again. They received the 7th overall pick in exchange.

2018 Cardinals moved up from the 15th pick to take Josh Rosen. They gave up a 1st round pick, 3rd rounder and 5th rounder. They received the 10th overall pick.

1 hour ago, HigSkin said:

Some perspective on the cost to "go up" in the draft.  Looks like if Skins want to move up  a few spots, it'd be something similar to the 2018 Cardinals cost to move up to #10.

We don't have the talent to lose picks, nor is there a QB who I feel is a slam dunk no brainer talent worth such loss. Take the guy who falls to you. A (convincingly dedicated) Murray AT 15, or even Grier in round 2. One of those things will happen.

2 hours ago, volsmet said:

Explosion is the key for sip, I can’t argue with those, I love the 10 for lineman & WRs. Get up the field in a hurry & you’re going to have the potential to cause problems. Discomfort is the name of the game, got to make your matchup uncomfortable at as many spots, on as many snaps, as possible. Your boy Brown would bring us that.

The cone is a good one, too.  I just haven't paid as much attention to it as some other metrics.  It's supposed to be a good gauge of agility. 

Love Marquise Brown but I admit that some of that was colored by Alex Smith's style at the time.  I thought with Alex's style we needed a dude who can take a hitch to the house so to speak.  I still like Marquise.  But now I worry some about his durability considering his size and this team's bad luck with injuries. 

I am starting to dive into DK Metcalf, what a freak that dude is, I am thinking though if he blows up the combine, he won't be there at 15.   Speaking of the combine, I recall reading an article that more or less said more than most positions, the athletic freaks, matter more at that specific position -- WR than most.  For someone like Metcalf who is built like a rock, I actually would be interested in agility type exercises like the cone.  You want to make sure the dude is strong but not so stiff. 

Importance of the Combine by Playing Position

As a starting point, the analysis identified the playing positions for which Combine drills are most important. This was done by comparing the percentage of one-year starters from the Top Performers to those from all Combine participants. Table 1 reflects the aggregate result of all Combine drills.

Combine positions are used for each player with the only exception being that running backs and defensive ends were divided by size. Running backs were split into those under 215 pounds and those weighing 215 pounds or more. The dividing point for defensive ends was 270 pounds.

fX3Ln.png

A large difference between Top Performers and All Participants indicates the importance of focusing on Top Performers at the Combine. Cornerbacks and defensive ends (both small and large) have the largest difference between Top Performers and All Participants.

Centers, Quarterbacks and Large Running Backs have only minor differences, indicating that Combine drills may not be all that important for those positions.

Table 3 shows the ranking of the drills for each playing position:

fX3Y3.png

https://nationalfootballpost.com/which-combine-drills-are-most-important/

53 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

The cone is a good one, too.  I just haven't paid as much attention to it as some other metrics.  It's supposed to be a good gauge of agility. 

Love Marquise Brown but I admit that some of that was colored by Alex Smith's style at the time.  I thought with Alex's style we needed a dude who can take a hitch to the house so to speak.  I still like Marquise.  But now I worry some about his durability considering his size and this team's bad luck with injuries. 

I am starting to dive into DK Metcalf, what a freak that dude is, I am thinking though if he blows up the combine, he won't be there at 15.   Speaking of the combine, I recall reading an article that more or less said more than most positions, the athletic freaks, matter more at that specific position -- WR than most.  For someone like Metcalf who is built like a rock, I actually would be interested in agility type exercises like the cone.  You want to make sure the dude is strong but not so stiff. 

I thought we’d try to pick up Tavon Austin to be our Hill-lite play maker, seemed to make some sense.

I’ve seen a few mocks with Brown going after our pick in round 2, I love the depth of this wr class, but if Brown is there in 2, trusting what I’ve seen you say about him, knowing what DeSean brought Jay before, I’d be excited about that addition. 

If Metcalf is half of what he’s described as, there isn’t any chance he’s there when we pick, but that increases the chance Hockenson is, though I know you’re not eager for a TE in rnd 1 at this point. Freaks like DK don’t last, he’s infinitely more than what scouts drooled over Ebron for being, he won’t get to 10 if he performs as it seems he will. 

Maybe the giants take DK, then get their QB next year. Odell, Engram, Shep & Barkley would be fun. 🙁

Archived