Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2019 Comprehensive Draft Thread

Going Commando

2 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Haskins and Murray yes.  I hate to say it but plenty think Jones is as good or better than Lock among draft geek types.  One of those guys in particular I respect, Brugler, has Jones rated highly.  Heck I saw one recently say he's the best QB in this draft.  It's really bizarre to me.    I'd say on this thread Lock is the consensus #3 but I don't see him as a slam dunk #3 with the draft geeks.   Murray is a little polarizing I noticed -- I'd say 75-25 or something like that is positive but the haters on him are vocal.

Gonna be interesting to see who the Skins draft this year at QB.  Everything to me points to using our 1st or 2nd on a QB.  We have to wait and see now.

2 hours ago, dballer said:

Are there any Jones apologists in here? Seems like near unanimous hatred...I always feel like QB is the hardest to judge.

There are so many variables, @stevemcqueen1 (tagging is something I’m unaccustomed to, I don’t know if it’s what I’m supposed to do or not) but he describes it brilliantly, it’s incredibly nuanced when you get to trying to distinguish prospects with equally problematic deficiencies or when weighing what you believe you can coach out v what you’re willing to accept that you can’t, some 🤐coaches believe they can fix anyone & that’s only true of one man - but the guys that can play will jump out; people watch a million hours hoping to come to the same conclusion Steve had, almost immediately (correct me if I misinterpreted), about Mayfield. The offenses are different, pressure is different, but the speed & money are the wild cards. The sideline of an nfl game is almost nauseating, the speed, size & ferocity are unimaginable and unlike anything you can prepare for. That’s why pocket presence is something I value more than nearly anything, if you’re intimidated in college, you’re going to defecate yourself in the nfl. 

1 hour ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

One of the things that's so confusing about Jones is how his stats don't seem to match up with his level of play at all.  I'm looking at the Clemson game as a prime example of this.  His line from that game is garbage.  43 attempts but for only 24 completions and 158 yards.  But amazingly enough, he actually played pretty well considering his offensive line got absolutely destroyed by the Clemson DL.  Just relentless pressure almost every freaking snap.  The DL must have swatted about a dozen passes.  And his receivers were really bad.  I counted six drops/bobbles in that game, the most painful one coming in the middle of the first quarter that wiped out what should have been a 40+ yard game.  That was a big time throw from Jones, tough--on the move, against his body as he was staring down he rush.  You've got to make that play for your QB after he gives you that kind of a chance.

Time to put that bad boy on.

This is going to be my harshest evaluation and take yet, but I feel strongly about this:

Rashan Gary - DE, Michigan, Jr - 5.85

Strengths:
- Elite twitch for a player his size.
- Massive frame for an end.  Built like a big 3-4 DE.
- Lean looking build with good muscle mass.  Carries his weight extremely well.
- Snap quickness is elite.
- Vines for arms. Fairly skilled handfighter who keeps his body clean.
- Exceptional lateral quickness and agility.
- Inside juke is a potentially devastating rush.
- Push-pull is a really strong move too.
- Bullrush is also potentially an elite move.
- Has the range to chase down screens beyond the field-side hash.

Weaknesses:
- Sees the game through a straw.  Play recognition skills are weak.
- Stymied when the initial rush fails.  Zero effective counters.  Not an instinctive rusher off the edge.  Spends too many reps handfighting without creating pressure.
- Lacks the speed and bend to reach the edge against length and strength.
- Tweener.  Doesn't have the anchor strength to play inside full time either.
- Speed to power issues on the outside.  Gets stood up and stoned on contact and has to restart.
- Gets bullied way more than a player as big and strong as he is should.
- Plays with high pads.
- Contact balance is sketchy.
- Falls off more tackles than you like to see.
- Soft player.
- Motor is inconsistent.
- Doesn't have the savvy or physicality to work gap to gap.
- Gets downblocked without a fight.

Gary is a frustrating player to watch.  He's got the body and natural talent of JJ Watt while possessing absolutely none of  Watt's instincts, toughness, awareness, motor, skill, and physicality.  Watching Gary gave me flashbacks to Robert Nkemdiche, and I can't believe the draftnik world is so high on him right now.  It tells me that, like Nkemdiche, Gary is still riding the wave of his high school hype despite the fact it's clear he is much more of an athlete than football player at this point, and he is not ready for the NFL.

So let's break down his issues.  His biggest problem is that he lacks a natural NFL position and is going to have trouble finding a home in many schemes.  He's built like a 3-4 DE but he was a liability when facing up tackles.  He can't two gap and you're going to have problems forcing runs inside with him on the edge.  But he doesn't have the anchor strength of a traditional B gap defender either.  And if you line him up wider than the five he's not going to be able to generate pressure on the QB withe consistency as an edge rusher because of his lack of bend, closing speed, and ability to convert speed to power.

He's an inside rusher who might ultimately be limited to A and B gap rushing on passing downs.  His defense is going to try and hide him at end in their base set and they will be a little soft on his side.

The instincts are another big issue.  This kid is raw and does not have a natural feel for playing on the edge.  He has trouble finding the football, his college production was crap for an elite edge talent.  And he got picked on by good opponents--It was painful to watch Ohio State exploit his lack of patience and awareness.

And the last major issue I have with him is his softness.  This kid should be eating college linemen alive with his combo of size, speed, and power.  He'll go hard one snap and flatten the offensive tackle, followed by six or seven snaps of passivity.  He's just does not have that dog in him.  I have doubts about how much Gary truly enjoys the game, same as I did with Nkemdiche.

Gary would be a hard pass in the first two rounds for me.  He is too raw and too soft to consider taking that high.  He reminds me of Rasheem Greene from last year in several ways.  And TBH, I think Rasheem Greene was a little further along than him.  Greene went in the third round.  It would not shock me if that's where Gary ends up going too.  This kid is a major project and he needs a good team to redshirt him and work on his strength, recognition skills, and pass rush repertoire.  If you draft him hoping that you've found the next Calais Campbell, you're going to be waiting a long time for that player to arrive--if he ever does.

19 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Wilkins and Ferrell were absolutely ferocious that game.  Those guys have a killer instinct and they definitely weren't feeling sorry for Daniel Jones.

That was shocking, Jones mimics Peyton almost perfectly, it looked like Peyton v Fla & Neb. I didn’t anticipate that at all, I didn’t see anything in Minshew v ISU, but Jones was brilliant. Some of those throws were filthy, but the way he goes through his reads & hangs in there was far superior to anyone in this class at this point. The evolution of the game is limiting the reads a QB is required to make post snap, but seeing him process the game was not what I thought I’d see. Right now I’d put him in a class well above Grier, that kid has put in more time than I can imagine to get to that point — that displays plenty of love for the game, and he was more than willing to take on lbs when needed. He may not be a leader of men - but, Lock would be better if Daniel Jones was his QB coach.

I don’t want to submit this, sip will never forgive me.

The fades Jones missed on are irrelevant, the reads were correct & the throws were good, Clemson can mug WRs v Duke bc they can always get quick pressure, but nfl corners can’t play that way, they’d get shredded. 

Oh no.

None of this will make anyone love Jones, but these are impressive traits displayed by a college QB, I don’t know if he’s got a round 1 arm, but he is incredibly impressive when pressured, he’s got that Wentz trait, but he’s not as athletic & certainly doesn’t have the Wentz arm.

These are the things people who obsess over QBs will believe makes Jones something more than the sum of his parts, he looks exactly like Peyton in a colts uniform, but he obviously ain’t Peyton, how good of an impersonator is he, that’s really insignificant, though I’m sure it’s appealing for scouts, obviously what Peyton had was largely pre-snap, and you can’t mimic what Peyton could diagnose. Nevertheless, Jones is, at minimum, a dedicated, tough, cerebral, calm, bright, prospect who learned from a guy who is as well respected as any.

How he deals with pressure is next level, but only one of these throws is down the field, we will have to see if he can make teams respect the sidelines, if not, he’s useless. You don’t need to throw deep outs, but you need the threat or the field gets tight.

0F0D1FE5-00D9-4064-B142-6D2CB04DF920.gif

85040E45-B696-4C35-88FD-EE19F87ADA2A.gif

AB1F6215-0CE7-491D-9FF4-44177C04F641.gif

227A9D8F-54C5-48FF-8CBE-99561BEE4545.gif

B7486CCD-D7B8-4C7C-8D0B-8C7D6506B12C.gif

A3DC324E-FD3F-4555-AB51-2C9D0135994A.gif

C68E0ACF-3EAC-47B1-9635-99807FFBE1CB.gif

4D22E811-6127-4992-B98F-ED674FF76782.gif

EC965073-D5D9-4B61-8E72-A139DCDEC8DF.gif

1 hour ago, RWJ said:

Gonna be interesting to see who the Skins draft this year at QB.  Everything to me points to using our 1st or 2nd on a QB.  We have to wait and see now.

Chris Russell who has been nailing insider type info made that same point -- he thinks for sure first round or 2nd.

54 minutes ago, volsmet said:

That was shocking, Jones mimics Peyton almost perfectly...

The fades Jones missed on are irrelevant, the reads were correct & the throws were good, Clemson can mug WRs v Duke bc they can always get quick pressure, but nfl corners can’t play that way, they’d get shredded. 

Oh no.

Jones looking the part, sharing Peyton-Eli's QB coach and all that entails is part of his hype with some.  Having that stature, etc.  But....

He gets sacked a lot

His YPA is "meh"

He isn't great at avoiding turnovers.  His best game arguably was the one against Temple, he could have easily had 3-4 INTs in that one

He's been criticized for his unwillingness to throw into tight windows including during the senior bowl practices

He doesn't have a strong arm

His completion percentage is the lowest of all the QBs we are tracking sans T. Jackson

Yes his supporting cast was subpar but he also was playing a relatively weak schedule

And to me his personality isn't a minor subplot -- I think its a big potential negative for me. 

I posted something here last night from a guy I engaged with on twitter asking about anyone who has interacted with Jones.  He agreed his personality is an issue saying he comes off shy, and uncomfortable, doesn't make eye contact easily, you can barely even hear him when he talks.   It's one thing not to have a leader of men (which Jones himself admits he's not) but this dude comes off to me like he has social anxiety issues.   

I think its funny when Hoffman goes after meeting Jones (Finlay repeated this) you see QBs with moxie or no moxie but Jones actually has negative moxie.  I recall seeing somewhere Jon Gruden had to ask Jones to pick up the volume of his cadence in the huddle. JP Finlay had to even ask him -- dude you are soft spoken, so I assume you speak louder on the field?

People talk about Eli for example about being quiet.  Yeah Eli is quiet but he isn't soft spoken and the dude actually has a sense of humor.  Jones comes off with nothing like that -- no personality, no sense of humor.    I've seen a lot of QBs interviewed and a lot of personalities.  Jones would be by a mile the most unimpressive personality I've ever seen for the QB position.   

People saying he's more like Eli than Peyton's personality to me is an insult to Eli because Eli has a lot more personality and comfort in his own skin than Jones comes off like. 

11 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Chris Russell who has been nailing insider type info made that same point -- he thinks for sure first round or 2nd.

Jones looking the part, sharing Peyton-Eli's QB coach and all that entails is part of his hype with some.  Having that stature, etc.  But....

He gets sacked a lot

His YPA is "meh"

He isn't great at avoiding turnovers.  His best game arguably was the one against Temple, he could have easily had 3-4 INTs in that one

He's been criticized for his unwillingness to throw into tight windows including during the senior bowl practices

He doesn't have a strong arm

His completion percentage is the lowest of all the QBs we are tracking sans T. Jackson

Yes his supporting cast was subpar but he also was playing a relatively weak schedule

I saw somewhere his WRs had a drop rate of 13%...with the average being around 6%? Not entirely sure about those numbers, but look at the few videos posted above, a couple of drops on some good throws. If those numbers are true, his completion percentage should be a few points higher. His supporting cast was subpar, to say the very least. 

1 minute ago, dballer said:

I saw somewhere his WRs had a drop rate of 13%...with the average being around 6%? Not entirely sure about those numbers, but look at the few videos posted above, a couple of drops on some good throws. If those numbers are true, his completion percentage should be a few points higher. His supporting cast was subpar, to say the very least. 

The question to me about any of these QBs is do you want him to be the next QB of the Redskins and if so why?

1 minute ago, Skinsinparadise said:

The question to me about any of these QBs is do you want him to be the next QB of the Redskins and if so why?

Well...for Jones my answer for the why is because we need one. And he is big and sturdy and should be able to stay healthy for a while. The answer to do I want him...probably not. I read somewhere (can't find it now) where they were saying Lock was picking up the schemes much more quickly than Jones at the Senior Bowl practices, and coaches were surprised at how slowly Jones was picking it up. For a guy that is supposed to have intelligence as one of his key selling points, that's disheartening.

For me, Lock is really the only guy I like. Murray would be cool, but not going to lie, his size does scare me. Everyone references R Wilson, but Wilson was built more like a RB, Murray is a little slighter. I would probably be happy with him at 15, though.

The only other QB I like is Finley, who I think could be successful under Jay, but if Jay is gone after next year, Finley's future success would hinge on who the next HC/OC is, imho.

19 minutes ago, dballer said:

Well...for Jones my answer for the why is because we need one. And he is big and sturdy and should be able to stay healthy for a while. The answer to do I want him...probably not. I read somewhere (can't find it now) where they were saying Lock was picking up the schemes much more quickly than Jones at the Senior Bowl practices, and coaches were surprised at how slowly Jones was picking it up. For a guy that is supposed to have intelligence as one of his key selling points, that's disheartening.

For me, Lock is really the only guy I like. Murray would be cool, but not going to lie, his size does scare me. Everyone references R Wilson, but Wilson was built more like a RB, Murray is a little slighter. I would probably be happy with him at 15, though.

The only other QB I like is Finley, who I think could be successful under Jay, but if Jay is gone after next year, Finley's future success would hinge on who the next HC/OC is, imho.

I don't mind Finley but I wouldn't take him before round 3.   Not saying I got it figured out with any of these QBs -- we are all picking our favorites and non-favorites.   In the past I've been wrong on some and right on others.

Jones and Lock seem to be the most polarizing among the prospects.  Depending on the source, they are either franchise guys, so so or busts. 

Ledyard these days is the draft geek I like following the most.  He shares my sour view of Jones.    He posted the other day sarcastically in a Q and A if you think Daniel Jones is a first round QB then you can't be my friend.   😀  Probably my 2nd favorite draft geek Brugler though likes Jones.  But yeah its kind of like that on Jones and Lock.  Really divergent opinions. 

I think Jones' VERY low key personality is going below the radar some but not completely.  I was just reading a South Florida article about Jones who called him the soft spoken slayer.  So yeah some have it on their radar but for me as a guy who does think a QB's leadership skills mean something -- its a major red flag among other things.  

Murray size concerns me too -- its part of the reason why I wouldn't trade up for him or if I traded up i'd go just a little higher in the draft.  But if he can stay healthy, I think he can be a star.  Ledyard I see just wrote an article about the QB crop.  I agree with some but not all of his point here. 

https://thedraftnetwork.com/2019/01/31/hey-there-the-2019-qb-class-is-bad/

The best piece of advice I can give y’all? Don’t force it. Don’t take a quarterback with a top ten pick just to take one when other aspects of your roster are in dire need of help. Dwayne Haskins does not profile as the guy to save your franchise. Drew Lockdoes not profile as the guy to save your franchise. Daniel Jones does not…I’m sorry, they’re telling me he doesn’t even need to be addressed in this piece because it’s so obvious he ain’t built like that? My apologies, carry on.

The one quarterback who might be that guy for an NFL franchise comes with more risk than I’d care to take that high in the draft. Kyler Murray is an exhilarating playmaker with an excellent arm, elite athleticism and a certain fearlessness to his game that has made him my QB1. But he’s also 5-foot-9, probably won’t hit 200 pounds and was fully committed to the game of baseball until about 6-8 weeks ago. 

...I can’t believe I’m about to say this, but given the options out there, New York should ride with Eli Manning for another year. There are no quality starting quarterbacks set to be available in free agency or trade, and next year’s draft class will likely offer a better quarterback class than this one. Old school Dave Gettleman and Pat Shurmur aren’t taking Murray anyway, nor would they know what to do with him if they had him. Grab an offensive tackle or an edge pass rusher in a class loaded at both spots.

...Washington is in the toughest position, as it looks like they will also be joining the Jaguars and Dolphins in the race for a 2019 starting quarterback, but selecting no. 15 overall is far from ideal. They could opt to grab a veteran and see how Alex Smith’s recovery goes, but he’ll be 36 by the time he’s ready to play again, if that day even comes. Washington is a spot where Murray could be worth the risk.

But for Giants, Raiders and Broncos fans, forget about the quarterback position this year. Some of you had your chance last year and you’ll all have a chance again in the future. Use your resources to build up the rest of your weakened rosters so that when the right quarterback comes along, the transition from college to the NFL will be much more seamless for him. It is better to suck and wait than to reach and grab a quarterback unlikely to or incapable of being able to fulfill the lofty expectations of “franchise quarterback”.

43 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

That is where I am, I look forward to watching much more of everyone, but this ain’t tinder, this is marriage.

2 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Kyler still waffling I am gathering.  Even if he ultimately says he's all in on football, I'd still really push the issue with his agent before drafting him.

Yep, I ensure he signed a contract that he would devote himself to the NFL and not MLB before a team signed him.  They'd be foolish not to.

The interior group is really hard to rank because of how strong it is.  This is my gut take about where they get picked and who I think their best case scenario is:

1 - Ed Oliver - somewhere between 6-11.  Reminds me of Geno Atkins.

2 - Quinnen Williams - top 8.  Gerald McCoy.

3 - Christian Wilkins - teens pick.  Fletcher Cox.

4 - Dre'Mont Jones - 20s. Our very own Jonathan Allen.

5 - Jeffery Simmons - 20s.  Kenny Clark.

6 - Dexter Lawrence - 20s or early 30s.  Albert Haynesworth

Haven't really figured out Gerald Willis or Jerry Tillery yet.

2 hours ago, dballer said:

What are your thoughts on Haskins?

2 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I don't mind Finley but I wouldn't take him before round 3.   Not saying I got it figured out with any of these QBs -- we are all picking our favorites and non-favorites.   In the past I've been wrong on some and right on others.

Jones and Lock seem to be the most polarizing among the prospects.  Depending on the source, they are either franchise guys, so so or busts. 

Ledyard these days is the draft geek I like following the most.  He shares my sour view of Jones.    He posted the other day sarcastically in a Q and A if you think Daniel Jones is a first round QB then you can't be my friend.   

He wasn’t a big fan of the 2017 class & only had Rosen has a top 10 prospect in the 2018 draft, he had Allen as late 3rd rounder, his QB grades seem brutal...not that he’s wrong, he’s just tough on QBs.

Im not familiar with him at all, I just went to find which QBs he actually liked ...

DiscreteDizzyAiredaleterrier-size_restri

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Kyler still waffling I am gathering.  Even if he ultimately says he's all in on football, I'd still really push the issue with his agent before drafting him.

Cant thank you enough for the content you continue to share, both your own & these things from the net I’d never come across otherwise.

a-toast.gif

53 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

The interior group is really hard to rank because of how strong it is.  This is my gut take about where they get picked and who I think their best case scenario is:

If Lawrence is Albert, with dignity, I’m taking him all day, but I may overrated Vols a bit. I watched Simmons & saw nothing, I’m going to need to revisit him.

Wilkins, Oliver & Williams are all easy top 10 for me, pressure up the middle, hands up don’t ——— complete the slant.

1 hour ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

This is kind of where I'm landing on the edge rushers:

1 - Josh Allen - top three talent

2 - Nick Bosa - top six

3 - Clelin Ferrell - top ten

4 - Jachai Polite - top 16

5 - Montez Sweat - top 20

Very solid group of first round edge prospects.  The second day group looks good too.

Allen over Bosa, I imagine SIP is with you there. I don’t see anyone else considering Allen at the top, but, then again, I rarely see more from experts than what Sip posts. 🤔

Any thoughts on Granderson &/or Collier? 

2 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Which ones do you think could fit with the Skins?  It's interesting that you have Dexter Lawrence  similar to Albert Haynesworth.  Lawrence is 340lbs and pegged as a premier run stopper (he looks like he plays fast though).  Haynesworth was equally big but he made his name as a disrupting gap rushing DT.  If Lawrence is best suited as a NT he wouldn't have a spot on the roster considering that they already have Payne and Settle for that role.  Jeffrey Simmons, DreMont Jones and Christian Wilkins seem to offer the flexibility needed by the Skins.  It's hard to turn your back on a potential Fletcher Cox.  But, that's a lot of first round picks for the DLine considering the needs elsewhere on the team.  Are the best WR, TE, ILB, and EDGE options equal in value to a Fletcher Cox player?     

7 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Yes, I think Allen was trying not to show his hand in the draft by saying what he did about Smith.  It's very apparent that we will be selecting a QB with 1 or 2.  Tweet from J.P. Finley states Allen saying we are trying to resign Josh Johnson.  Not too impressed with him AT THIS TIME.  :) 

Figured I’d start looking at Fresno State players as they ranked near the top defensively (probably in yards, I didn’t notice, but still).  I like Jeffrey Allison. Mountain West defensive MVP of the year.  132 tackles, 6 TFLs, 2 picks.  

Didn’t see him in man coverage, but he didn’t look out of place manning the middle - read the qbs well, redirected receivers and made some plays in the flats too.  Not really a stack and shed guy, though he did so at times, but he doesn’t really get pushed around either.  Sifts through traffic well. Good motor and pretty good speed. Moves well.  Decent size (listed at 6’ 238), and I think he’s got room for more weight.  

Gone through some adversity as well - seems like a really good kid.  

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.fresnobee.com/sports/college/mountain-west/fresno-state/bulldogs-football/article216913700.html

14 hours ago, volsmet said:

Allen over Bosa, I imagine SIP is with you there. I don’t see anyone else considering Allen at the top, but, then again, I rarely see more from experts than what Sip posts. 🤔

Any thoughts on Granderson &/or Collier? 

I've seen Bosa play and I think he's an obvious stud.  Haven't watched Allen.  But I'll say SteveMcQueen1 isn't the only one right now that is putting Allen as #1.  

I think there is a small chance that Ferrell drops to 15 but don't think he will.  I think our choices pass rushing wise will be Polite, Burns, Sweat.  And I like those three in that order right now but I have to dive into both Burns and Sweat more.

I love toying with mocks-possibilities.  

Right now am thinking its a given that all of these guys are gone before 15:

Bosa

J. Allen

Q. Williams

Haskins

E. Oliver

Lock

At least 2 O lineman because they tend to go early (Taylor?  Little? J. Williams? Ford?)

At least 2 corners because they tend to go early (Williams? Murphy?  Baker?)

Likely going before 15

C. Ferrell

R. Gary

K. Murray

DK Metcalf

In some mocks before 15 and some not

J. Simmons

D. White

D. Jones

TJ Hockenson

So that's 18. So 4 players from that group will likely be available.  Meaning we should be able to get a good player and likely a player in theory we don't think we can get right now like the year we got Jonathan Allen.

Just stumbled on this from my favorite draft web site, they did a deep dive into the play of Daniel Jones

https://thedraftnetwork.com/2019/01/22/2019-contextualized-quarterbacking-duke-qb-daniel-jones/

Biggest Strength: Quick Game

Jones played in an offense that, frankly, babied him. His time to throw was the quickest number in the class by a mile. He regularly throws based off of one pre-snap read. He isn’t tasked with hitting tight window throws in the red zone.

Accordingly, Jones has a really developed quick game. He has tremendous zip to the short areas of the field and can hit rapidly-closing windows with good anticipation and placement. Because of how frequently the Blue Devils showed play action, Jones has also learned how to throw well from a sidearm arm slot and askew foot placement — there’s a bit of a Staffordian nature to his quick game....

Biggest Weakness: Long Game

If he wins short, he fails deep. I like to joke and call Jones the Josh Allen of the ACC because of his shaky accuracy, huge frame, and great mobility — but the comparison stops in terms of the deep ball. Jones simply does not have ideal arm strength to reach far downfield, despite the mustard he can put on his short throws. He’s underdeveloped when approaching downfield windows and gauging distance, timing, and windows.

Folks, to have only 3% of your total yardage coming on throws downfield, despite the fact that you have ~15% of your targets coming to that area…that’s really bad.

Nice to see how many catchable balls Jones has delivered over the middle of the field, but those placement numbers really fall off a cliff beyond the 10 yard mark, which has to worry you. Within 10 yards of the field, Jones is throwing to his first read; he’s making his decision and reads before the snap, when things are easier and timely.

But after 20 yards you’ve gotta see how things develop post snap, and that’s an area in which Jones has regularly faltered.

Goal for Mobile: Progression Proof

Dude has attempted 6% of his throws beyond his first read, guys. This is a super limited player about whom we should have many, many questions before we christen him a Round 1 player.

Jones must show that he can manage a pocket and the ensuing pass rush during 11-on-11 — and before that, just read through coverage in 7-on-7s. He’s going to be holding the ball uncomfortably long and can’t show panic, confusion, or a steep drop-off in accuracy if he intends on going Round 1.

Daniel-Jones-3-791x1024.png

Archived