Jump to content
Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2019 Comprehensive Draft Thread


stevemcqueen1

Recommended Posts

42 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

 

Yep, if I recall there is another person here who likes him a lot too.   I like Grier, don't love him.  I like him as a flier in the 2nd round if they go that route but I am not banking that the dude is a sure fire NFL starter.

 

 

 

I was singing Griers praises a few weeks back as the ultimate Gruden QB. I'd be ecstatic if he's available in the 2nd. I realize that some drafts have him lasting until 3rd day. I think he has the "it" factor and could really help this team.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Interior OL I am intrigued by who *could* come in and start right away

 

#15:

T/G Jonah Williams, Alabama

T/G Cody Ford, Oklahoma

 

Late 1st to our 2nd:

T/G/C Dalton RIsner, Kansas State

G Chris Lindstrom, Boston College

I'd have no problem taking the top 3 on that list at 15.  I don't think risner is getting enough respect.   He could be gone by the time we pick.  He had a great week, many scouts think he can play well at every position along the offensive line.  That kind of versatility from a guy who is projected to be a long-term starter in the league is pretty special.   

 

And if we didn't go OL in the 1st, I'd be thrilled with Lindstrom in the 2nd, but Im guessing he goes around 35.  Actually, if we went risner in 1st and Lindstrom in 2nd I would be ecstatic, but I doubt they use both picks on o line.

 

If you look at January mocks from last year, guys like ragnow and Daniels weren't going anywhere near their actual draft position.  They proved to be more desired than predicted.  And with an influx of a lot of young d line talent in this draft and recent years, there will be even more of a premium on guys who can stop them.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

 

Yep, if I recall there is another person here who likes him a lot too.   I like Grier, don't love him.  I like him as a flier in the 2nd round if they go that route but I am not banking that the dude is a sure fire NFL starter.

 

 

Lol, I think Daniel Jones to me this year what Malik McDowell was 2 drafts ago.  That draft we were looking hard at DTs, and I would slam the dude whenever I could.  I am headed that way with Jones.  

 

https://thedraftnetwork.com/2019/01/28/most-likely-senior-bowl-prospects-to-go-round-1/

Daniel Jones, QB, Duke

I’ll be honest, I don’t buy the “Daniel Jones top 2o” or “first round lock” talk right now. What are we getting excited about here? He doesn’t make tough throws. He lacks arm strength for distance and velocity. His production is middling. He throws too many interceptions. I just don’t get it.

Nevertheless, the NFL reportedly likes Jones enough to consider him in this range. I don’t think he’ll come off the board in Round 1, but in a late, trade-back-into-the-first scenario? Jones has a better chance than most Senior Bowl prospects of finding his way into the top 32.

 

Yes, a 2nd seems lofty, I have simply seen more of your posts than most I suppose. What can I say, your presentation is superb.

 

I’m about to run through the sr bowl a second time, but my initial thoughts on the QB were precisely what they were when the week began, Lock is in a class of his own (within that subset), the rest are backups - at best. That’s a one game, all star setting, reaction. Lock appeared to be the most roasted QB on this board, but I feel that’s changing, a bit.

 

We won’t be in position to draft the 3 worthy first rounders, I hope we pass on what’s remaining. Unless, round 2 of the sr bowl changes my mind, but round 2 is usually linemen.

 

In an entirely unrelated note, this WR class is fascinating. I, very much, look forward to seeing everyone’s WR rankings here. I’m going to see if I’m allowed to post some better content to YouTube, but I doubt it. The highlights & game film on YouTube is crap, though the entire games aren’t all together useless.

 

To the sr bowl!

31 minutes ago, bowhunter said:

I was singing Griers praises a few weeks back as the ultimate Gruden QB. I'd be ecstatic if he's available in the 2nd. I realize that some drafts have him lasting until 3rd day. I think he has the "it" factor and could really help this team.

 

He had more “it” factor vs my Vols than I’m comfortable with. 🙁

 

22 minutes ago, KillBill26 said:

I'd have no problem taking the top 3 on that list at 15.  I don't think risner is getting enough respect.   He could be gone by the time we pick.  He had a great week, many scouts think he can play well at every position along the offensive line.  That kind of versatility from a guy who is projected to be a long-term starter in the league is pretty special.   

 

And if we didn't go OL in the 1st, I'd be thrilled with Lindstrom in the 2nd, but Im guessing he goes around 35.  Actually, if we went risner in 1st and Lindstrom in 2nd I would be ecstatic, but I doubt they use both picks on o line.

 

If you look at January mocks from last year, guys like ragnow and Daniels weren't going anywhere near their actual draft position.  They proved to be more desired than predicted.  And with an influx of a lot of young d line talent in this draft and recent years, there will be even more of a premium on guys who can stop them.  

 

This man. This man knows what he’s talking about. I just teared up a little bit. That’s a beautiful post to behold. I may print it out and see if you’ll sign a copy for me. Steve was on with Risner, he won’t get out of 1.

 

*I wanted Daniels badly at pick 2. Derwin & Daniels would have been my non-trade-back picks. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I posted this awhile back which was its been reported multiple times that Elway was personally scouting Lock last year a lot.  So Denver is in love with Lock and the Redskins are supposedly enamored with Jones?  Hopefully that's false gossip as for the Jones part of that.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

https://thefandc.radio.com/redskins-dan-snyder-believes-kevin-oconnell-special-source

 

With Alex Smith not expected to return in 2019, O'Connell was busy during his time in Mobile scouting quarterbacks. Don't expect the Redskins to wait until the later rounds to take a new QB, Russell says. 

"They're gonna draft a quarterback, and they're gonna draft it early," he told the Junkies. "How early? I don't know, it depends on who's there at 15. I don't think they should move up, despite having, I think, nine picks."

"They're gonna draft a quarterback early, period. There is no question about that," Russell continued. "Alex Smith was never going to play in 2019. And I don't want to be a gloom and doom guy, (but) he's unlikely, let's just leave it at that, to play ever again, period."

Once again, the Redskins face uncertainty over their signal-caller on the field. And they very could have a new face doing so on the sidelines in O'Connell.

Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, volsmet said:

 

In an entirely unrelated note, this WR class is fascinating. I, very much, look forward to seeing everyone’s WR rankings here. I’m going to see if I’m allowed to post some better content to YouTube, but I doubt it. The highlights & game film on YouTube is crap, though the entire games aren’t all together useless.

Do you mean fascinating bc of the overall talent level, or just to see how the class shakes out on draft day?  I'm intrigued by how teams will rank this group, because I think there are a lot of prospects that can  make an impact in the league, but I'm also not big on the guys they are talking about coming off early.  AJ brown was the prized prospect going into the season, then Metcalf started popping up more in first round, now Harmon and Samuel seem to be sneaking up there.  Nkeal Harry has always been viewed as a first rounder.  But I will be pretty ticked off if we go wr in the first, even though we have a huge need there.  My initial impression of the group as a whole is there won't be a big dropoff from the top 3 type guys vs the 8, 9, and 10th wr off the board.  And I'd much rather be drafting off the bottom of that tier as opposed to the top.

Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, volsmet said:

 

*I wanted Daniels badly at pick 2. Derwin & Daniels would have been my non-trade-back picks. 

 

I hear ya, I was really hoping for oline in the 2nd, whether it was ragnow, Daniels, or Braden smith.  And after seeing the turnaround the colts team had after going nelson and smith in first two rounds (and Leonard, wow), coupled with the fact our last two seasons started completely falling apart at the same moment our offensive line was decimated, I am hoping we can land a solid olineman with one of our first two picks.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

North Ball

-Omenihu obliterated Dillard on snap 1

-Omenihu stood up well & disengaged to make a tackle v run s2

-Howard blocked Allen for an hour, with no issues, s3

-Howard dominant on play 4, Omenihu nearly earned a hold, needed to use left hand & bend better but strong nonetheless, s4

-Elgton Jenkins held up vs a strong get off & created a hole for a nice run, s5

-Dru Samia opened the slant for Grier s6

-Jenkins obliterated his man s7

-Javon Patterson abuses the dt, rebellion wren s8

-Jenkins moves his man again, Cameron Smith explosive tackle s9

-Patterson looks smooth on a pull, Samia decent down block, Howard very strong s10 td

———

South Ball

Keke holds up well beats Deiter, Ledbetter gets down the line in a hurry s11

Designed boot, not much to learn s12

Sweat off quickly, beats Scharping s13

Tried to block Sweat with a TE on a run, Sweat obliterated him s14

Keke absolutely explodes off the ball, held blatantly no call (Risner easy work on a decent move by sweat) s15

 

1 possession each, Howard, Jenkins, Keke & Sweat the most impactful players thus far. Howard the edge overall as the most impressive guy at this point.

 

*DSammy stood out with a couple very strong blocks on the outside.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, KillBill26 said:

Do you mean fascinating bc of the overall talent level, or just to see how the class shakes out on draft day?  I'm intrigued by how teams will rank this group, because I think there are a lot of prospects that can  make an impact in the league, but I'm also not big on the guys they are talking about coming off early.  AJ brown was the prized prospect going into the season, then Metcalf started popping up more in first round, now Harmon and Samuel seem to be sneaking up there.  Nkeal Harry has always been viewed as a first rounder.  But I will be pretty ticked off if we go wr in the first, even though we have a huge need there.  My initial impression of the group as a whole is there won't be a big dropoff from the top 3 type guys vs the 8, 9, and 10th wr off the board.  And I'd much rather be drafting off the bottom of that tier as opposed to the top.

 

The talent, the size, speed, lack of consensus. I think it may be the surprise group of this draft class. I’ll puke if we go WR in round 1 with this depth available, this group is ridiculous imo.

 

Dk Metcalf is a cyborg 

SIPs guy Brown is a game changing talent

Pff absolutely loves Whiteside

AJ Brown was a top 10 lock not long ago

Harry has been mocked in round 1 many times

Hall is a possible sub 4.4 burner with production 

Ridley has pedigree 

Deebo just obliterated the early winter process

Wesley is 6’5 and put up over 1400 yards

Butler is a local kid who has been mocked in round 1, he’s incredibly interesting as a prospect

Harmon is routinely mocked in round 1

Campbell is a game changer

Sills is another big, productive outside threat

Lil’Jordan Humphrey can play anywhere, he’s huge, he’s aggressive, he’s a guy I like a lot

Jamarius Way is a big, very smooth, fast, intriguing prospect 

Preston Williams is a big, athletic kid who was a huge recruit & crushed it at CSU

Mecole Hardman is a former 5 star recruit who is absurdly explosive

Van Jefferson

Renfroe

Lodge

Isabella

Morgan

Meyers

Brady

Doss

Dillan Mitchell

 

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, KillBill26 said:

I'd have no problem taking the top 3 on that list at 15.  I don't think risner is getting enough respect.   He could be gone by the time we pick.  He had a great week, many scouts think he can play well at every position along the offensive line. 

Yeah for sure. And I hear you about Ragnow and Daniels. But they both were “2nd or 3rd round with upside” at this stage. But mainly because people overlook internist OL. Ragnow was a premier interior OL and ended up being drafted as such. 

 

Elgton Jenkins and Erik McCoy are two guys that could shoot up too. But the reality is there likely more than 3-4 interior OL drafted by our 2nd round pick. Wouldn’t surprise me if McCoy and Jenkins as pure Centers make their way up but some of these guys will fall to R2. 

 

Guys also fall. Like Connor williams last year. From mid 1st to 2nd 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just looked up sacks for some of the top prospect QBs.  Rypien and Jones were sacked a lot and that's against fairly weak opponents.  That's one of my things about Rypien --he's not big, he's not mobile and has a build that reminds of Colt McCoy.  That dude going to last as a starter? 

 

1. Brett Rypien  32

2.  Daniel Jones 28

3. Will Grier 24

4.  Jarrett Stidham 23

5. Dwayne Haskins 20

6.  Kyler Murray 18

7.  Drew Lock 13

8.  Ryan Finley 11

 

on another note, some more Hockenson hype.  At #15 I'd say yes to Hockenson among others. 

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Finley might be the most pro ready. He’s the oldest I believe. I think I’d take him Stidham or Jackson in the 3rd. But I doubt we wait that long based on what’s coming out today. 

 

One thing id say if if the Kevin O’Connell rumors are true, I’m okay with whoever we take if he’s part of the decision. Future HC for us. Bank it

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, volsmet said:

North Ball

-Omenihu obliterated Dillard on snap 1

-Omenihu stood up well & disengaged to make a tackle v run s2

-Howard blocked Allen for an hour, with no issues, s3

-Howard dominant on play 4, Omenihu nearly earned a hold, needed to use left hand & bend better but strong nonetheless, s4

-Elgton Jenkins held up vs a strong get off & created a hole for a nice run, s5

-Dru Samia opened the slant for Grier s6

-Jenkins obliterated his man s7

-Javon Patterson abuses the dt, rebellion wren s8

-Jenkins moves his man again, Cameron Smith explosive tackle s9

-Patterson looks smooth on a pull, Samia decent down block, Howard very strong s10 td

———

South Ball

Keke holds up well beats Deiter, Ledbetter gets down the line in a hurry s11

Designed boot, not much to learn s12

Sweat off quickly, beats Scharping s13

Tried to block Sweat with a TE on a run, Sweat obliterated him s14

Keke absolutely explodes off the ball, held blatantly no call (Risner easy work on a decent move by sweat) s15

 

1 possession each, Howard, Jenkins, Keke & Sweat the most impactful players thus far. Howard the edge overall as the most impressive guy at this point.

 

*DSammy stood out with a couple very strong blocks on the outside.

 

 

 

North Ball

-Colin Saunders with burst through the line for a sack

-Howard & Samia hood up all day for Grier

-Howard continues to dominate the edge, Greg Gaines looks tough to move, Jenkins getting pushed on this drive

-Jenkins not quick enough to his zone, but the boot designed to allow for it

-Gaines dominant rep v Jenkins

-Clinic for Howard, Patterson & Samia - Omenihu strong rush

-Jenkins, Samia, Howard open a hole for a would be TD - Saunders crushed by a double team, but the play design fails with a TE blocking Omenihu who destroys it all on his own

-Jenkins dominates Saunders, Omenihu with a decent rush, & LJ Collier of TCU shows up for the first time beating Patterson

-Wr screen, Collier gets back quickly & brings Renfroe down. Awful design but impressive athleticism from Collier. *Allen continues to get bullied.

 

South Ball

-Higdon misses the opportunity for a big run, no vision, Risner sealed the right side, but Higdon ran into a Daylon Mack/Isaiah Biggs wall. 

-Another boot, great awareness by Granderson of Wyoming, he reads the play immediately, but Lock ends up getting it to his TE with the underhanded pass everyone has seen, but Granderson forced the play to become something it wasn’t designed to be

-Daylon vs Bradberry in a standstill that was beautiful to watch, the run is busted up by the corner. Noteworthy Buggs was doubled, moved, but fought back into the play, impressive work from him on that snap. Risner blocked two guys, Buggs then a lb, looks like a phenomenal guard prospect there.

-Bradberry & Deiter crush Daylon on a qb sneak.

-Risner, Bradberry, and Lindstrom take care of Granderson, Buggs & Mack, but Buggs got 4 yards deep making it tougher to step up. Ferguson got his first decent pass rush of the game, Deiter was late on the double. 

-Granderson with an absolutely explosive rush v Risner, he complements the explosion with a spin & puts Risner off balance, but Risner collects himself & Lock gets a short pass off with Buggs shoving Lindstrom 6 yards beyond the line of scrimmage. On the other side Daylon is doubled by Deiter & Bradberry while Ferguson is handled easily by Scharping.

-Daylon pushes Lindstrom almost 7 yards back, Risner handles Granderson & the doubles stay on the blindside as Buggs & Ferguson are obliterated.

-Daylon gets a push past Lindstrom but the play is headed the other way so Lindstrom invites it, the quick pass is blocked easily, Granderson chases it 15 yards down field before Isabell steps out.

-Quick pass, same 4 guys handled easily by the same group of OL.

-Ximines comes in and blows by Risner, Demarcus Christmas is also in & he obliterates Lindstrom instantly. Risner sets & reaches a bit too much, but that’s just a habit to work on.

-Ledbetter puts a decent rush on Risner, Lindstrom redeems himself vs Christmas

-Risner struggles with Ledbetter again

-Deiter kicks Daylons ass one on one, Scharping makes easy work of Ximines

-Risner manhandles Ledbetter, Deiter takes care of KeKe 1 on 1.

 

End of quarter 1

 

 

 

Lock moved up for me, he was already my top qb, he was special in this game. 

53 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Just looked up sacks for some of the top prospect QBs.  Rypien and Jones were sacked a lot and that's against fairly weak opponents.  That's one of my things about Rypien --he's not big, he's not mobile and has a build that reminds of Colt McCoy.  That dude going to last as a starter? 

 

1. Brett Rypien  32

2.  Daniel Jones 28

3. Will Grier 24

4.  Jarrett Stidham 23

5. Dwayne Haskins 20

6.  Kyler Murray 18

7.  Drew Lock 13

8.  Ryan Finley 11

 

on another note, some more Hockenson hype.  At #15 I'd say yes to Hockenson among others. 

 

 

 

 

I’m with you, Hockenson is ridiculous, I doubt he’s there at 15. 

1 hour ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Yeah for sure. And I hear you about Ragnow and Daniels. But they both were “2nd or 3rd round with upside” at this stage. But mainly because people overlook internist OL. Ragnow was a premier interior OL and ended up being drafted as such. 

 

Elgton Jenkins and Erik McCoy are two guys that could shoot up too. But the reality is there likely more than 3-4 interior OL drafted by our 2nd round pick. Wouldn’t surprise me if McCoy and Jenkins as pure Centers make their way up but some of these guys will fall to R2. 

 

Guys also fall. Like Connor williams last year. From mid 1st to 2nd 

 

Jenkins is impressing me, I had not considered him at all. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, volsmet said:

 

I’m 100% with you, the depth is there to capitalize on if we are willing to be patient. 

Absolutely. The depth in the receiver class and dbs (for all I’ve heard about a weaker safety class), is quite good IMO.  Although I like the idea of a first round corner, I think we get better value waiting.  Hockenson at 15 fits my general philosophy back when I played Fantasy ball - rather than take the 4th (or whatever) best at a certain position, take the best at a different position (even more so when the first position has solid depth).  

4 hours ago, volsmet said:

 

Again, I may have missed it, things are chaotic here (home), but what are the feelings on Gary? Big Ten coaches swear by him, his teammates do the same, but he doesn’t jump out with any regularity when I’ve watched UM play. Do we have a consensus on him from the guys & gals of the draft thread? I’m intrigued by the talent, but is he a player and what does he bring? Seeing him mocked below us just seems odd, Derwin odd by reputation, but not by what I’ve seen on the field thus far.

I saw him listed as an ‘edge’, so I thought I was watching a too slow OLB compared with Sweat, Walker, Burns, etc, lol.  He’s got excellent play recognition though.  More of a very solid player IMO.  

3 hours ago, bowhunter said:

I was singing Griers praises a few weeks back as the ultimate Gruden QB. I'd be ecstatic if he's available in the 2nd. I realize that some drafts have him lasting until 3rd day. I think he has the "it" factor and could really help this team.

Agreed.  I’ll refrain from singing his praises though as that horse has been delivered to the glue factory.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

I can't believe that Drew Lock, a guy with a sub 57 % career completion percentage and a reputation for playing poor again quality opponents, would even be a first round pick. Let alone a Top 10 pick.  Someone is going to get fired for that pick if it happens. And maybe its John Elway

Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Jericho said:

I can't believe that Drew Lock, a guy with a sub 57 % career completion percentage and a reputation for playing poor again quality opponents, would even be a first round pick. Let alone a Top 10 pick.  Someone is going to get fired for that pick if it happens. And maybe its John Elway

 

What is pff missing in their ratings? They have him quite close to Tua.

 

 

 

 

 

27 minutes ago, skinny21 said:

Absolutely. The depth in the receiver class and dbs (for all I’ve heard about a weaker safety class), is quite good IMO.  Although I like the idea of a first round corner, I think we get better value waiting.  Hockenson at 15 fits my general philosophy back when I played Fantasy ball - rather than take the 4th (or whatever) best at a certain position, take the best at a different position (even more so when the first position has solid depth).  

I saw him listed as an ‘edge’, so I thought I was watching a too slow OLB compared with Sweat, Walker, Burns, etc, lol.  He’s got excellent play recognition though.  More of a very solid player IMO.  

Agreed.  I’ll refrain from singing his praises though as that horse has been delivered to the glue factory.  

 

Garys combine will be the most interesting, his 10 yard split, 3 cone, arms are what I’m interested in.

 

Grier was unimaginably bad in the senior bowl, he held the ball forever, his footwork was awful, he just looked lost. I imagine he’d have looked much different with Gruden, he designed more QB friendly boots & had the benefit of a 2 minute drill in the first which makes every qb look better. The sr bowl isn’t particularly important, Grier was just uncomfortable & out of rhythm on a chilly day in mobile with guys he met 5 days prior. It’s an odd environment to play in.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hockenson is my #1 guy.  I'd even trade up for him (trading our 3rd round comp pick for him.  I think he'll be a star TE and would really help the offense.  I think the following are locks to be not there at 15:  Bosa, Williams, Allen.  I think 3 QBs go before 15 (Haskins, Murray, and Lock (Giants, Jags, Bengals, Dolphins all could take a QB)).  That leaves 9 players.  

 

The teams in front of us who could take Hockenson would be:  Jags (don't have a great TE), Detroit (Ditto), Bills (I fear they might grab him honestly), and GB.  Hopefully a couple of o-lineman get snatched before our pick.

Link to post
Share on other sites

This doesn’t make someone a great QB, obviously, but it certainly looks nice if you’re Jordan Reed. This is one of the more unbelievable throws I’ve ever seen. He’s not perfect, but he’s got to go before us, unfortunately.

 

 

 

 

2763BD9A-46F8-4776-BDAA-63F786CBC0EA.jpeg

7544ED89-A4CA-4AC7-AF0E-B1281896ABE5.jpeg

008EAF35-745C-4D81-948E-24F87DE71B66.jpeg

6B4E9211-FFCB-4648-B469-7774D49C7D34.jpeg

Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, skinny21 said:

 

 

Grier over Tua, Herbert #2 overall, very surprising to me. Costello another 2020 name to keep an eye on. Phenomenal find, Skinny21!

 

Tua, Fromm, Herbert, Costello, Eason next year is a gifted class. Lawrence, Fields, Daniels etc in 2021 - I’d take my chances moving back until we get a guy we love. I look forward to watching Grier’s games, his sr bowl means squat. 

 

Of course Lawrence is number 1, I thought he’d go #1 overall in 2021 draft when I bought Trevorlawrence.com in July of 2016. No real reason to do it, but he’s the best prospect I’ve ever seen, by a substantial margin.

 

I agree with them about Tuas arm, it’s either deceptive or not particularly strong, but the accuracy is otherworldly.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, volsmet said:

 

Grier over Tua, Herbert #2 overall, very surprising to me. Costello another 2020 name to keep an eye on. Phenomenal find, Skinny21!

 

Tua, Fromm, Herbert, Costello, Eason next year is a gifted class. Lawrence, Fields, Daniels etc in 2021 - I’d take my chances moving back until we get a guy we love. I look forward to watching Grier’s games, his sr bowl means squat. 

 

Of course Lawrence is number 1, I thought he’d go #1 overall in 2021 draft when I bought Trevorlawrence.com in July of 2016. No real reason to do it, but he’s the best prospect I’ve ever seen, by a substantial margin.

 

I agree with them about Tuas arm, it’s either deceptive or not particularly strong, but the accuracy is otherworldly.

 

 

 

I am totally cool and endorse the idea of waiting for 2020.  I am a big Tua guy, love his mobility and deep ball.   Watched him twice in person this year.  But if not him there are others.  As for this draft three guys am sold on:  Haskins, Murray, Lock.  As for wildcards, I'd ride with Grier but I am far from totally convinced he has the goods.  I am not in love with any of the other potential fliers in the 2nd-4th rounds but I'd take any of them if that keeps 2020 open for QB. 

 

PFF can be a bit hit and miss but if we are running with them, then their guy is Kyler Murray.  Murray's numbers are ridiculous using PFF's metrics.   In addition to that, among the top prospects in this draft he by far has the best QBR rating -- 95.8, best QB rating 199.2.  Many think YPA is a big stat to judge QBs, Murray is by far the leader on that too, 11.6.  

 

I get the ghosts of RG3 and all.  But heck some here (including me at the beginning of the draft process last year) were skeptics of Baker Mayfield.   Spread QBs from the big 12 have their share of skeptics.  Now I think Murray is a major misfit with Jay's offense.  But if Kevin O'Connell takes over as some say might happen -- he has experience running a spread offense.  The offense is a mess anyway right now talent wise.  And Jay is looking like a lame duck coach.  Ironically I think Murray might save his job.

 

I am perfectly ok with gambling on another Big 12 QB with serious mobility without worrying about blow back.  IMO that's what winning organizations do -- that is don't overcompensate from previous mistakes.  Some I notice in the national media love Sean McVay's line about how he and the FO like to "attack success" meaning that are willing to be bold and be aggressive without worrying about push back or failing.   As JP Finley among others like to say in the context of McVay's statement, this FO is boring and conservative.      IMO if Murray is at 15, I'd take him, if they have to leapfrog over the Dolphins without giving up much, I'd do it. 

 

I don't care if the sexiness of doing this means uncool because it comes off like an old school Redskins move.  I'd still do it.    Murray is one of the rare NFL prospects that I've watched in person and its tough not to fall for his abilities.  My main concern is his height and its taking me a bit to go all in because of the 2012 dynamic and Murray's size.  And his size still gives me some pause from a durability stand point.  But as for his height, he played behind a tall O line as is, and was able to find throwing lanes so why couldn't he do the same in the NFL.

 

If I recall on this thread the only other that's in on Murray is SteveMcQueen1 unless am forgetting some.  I am in too with the caveat that they get assurances somehow he's not playing baseball and I'd only trade up, a little, worst case and not big.  I think its unlikely he gets past the Dolphins at 13.  If they have to give up a 3rd or something like that I'd be ok with it.  I feel the same but to a lesser extent about Lock.  For Lock sounds like you got to trade up to #9 and I think that costs you best case your 2nd and worst case next year's first and I don't think I'd do that unless I'd be totally enamored.  And while I like Lock I am not enamored to that degree.

 

 

1814-All-American-First-Team-Offense.jpg

QUARTERBACK – KYLER MURRAY, OKLAHOMA

Murray was the highest-graded offensive player in all of college football this season, thanks to both the top passing and top rushing grade among all quarterbacks. His myriad of throws from both in the pocket and out are second to none this season as he was college football’s most dominant offensive player.

Second Team: Tua Tagovailoa, Alabama
Honorable Mention: Will Grier, West Virginia

Link to post
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...