Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2019 Comprehensive Draft Thread

Going Commando

If we trade our 2nd and a player or a 2020 pick for Rosen ... I think I’m targeting the Pats and their plethora of picks to trade out of 15. They could make a play for Hockenson or an edge or DT who falls. 

Im looking to give them 15 and one of our 5th rounders for 32, 56 and 97. It works out well with the trade charts and leaves NE with another 2/3/3. 

You’d be left with 1(32), 2(56), 3(76), 3(96), 3(97) 

You get your QB (Rosen) and have ourselves 1/2/3/3/3 to address WR, LG, EDGE, CB, SAF

3 hours ago, UK SKINS FAN '74 said:

I was wondering about Paul Richardson, bust material here in the making, big cap number though, 7mil if on the roster, rising to 9mil if we move him on. 

I don't understand this, he's getting Ryan Grant money but he's a bust because he got injured and is making $7M this year, have you looked at WR salaries?

9 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Some really good times from the safeties this year.  Good jumps too.  Juan Thornhill and Darnell Savage put up ridiculous numbers.

Feels like round two and early round three is an ideal round for safety.  I think a run on the position will happen concurrently with the WR run.  I would LOVE to get a box thumper like Abram in the second.  That would be fantastic value.  Thornhill is interesting too because he can play corner, especially as a third round value.  Rapp and Adderly are probably second rounders, third at the worst.  Deionte Thompson will be in the second round mix too.

I LOVE Abram, but I think we aren't going to draft a thumper at safety. It looks like the Giants aren't going to franchise Landon Collins. Between his love for Sean Taylor,  the Alabama connection, and our need at safety, I think it's extremely likely that he is our major offseason FA signing. Payne, Allen, Rueben Foster, and Collins would make our defense extremely tough and hard nosed up the middle, if Foster can pull his head out of his ***. Now, if only we had better CB's and another edge rusher. 

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001021061/article/giants-unlikely-to-tag-safety-landon-collins

Also, Juan Thornhill ran a 4.42 with a 44 inch vertical and a 141 inch broad jump. That's not a typo. One hundred and forty one inches. I need to go back and watch him. For all of the draftniks, what does his tape look like and where do you think he will be drafted?

edit: H.S. dunk highlights. 

6 hours ago, JSSkinz said:

I don't understand this, he's getting Ryan Grant money but he's a bust because he got injured and is making $7M this year, have you looked at WR salaries?

5 years in the NFL, 23 career starts, little over 1,500 receiving yards across those 5 seasons. 

I take your point about last season, but I still think he's expendable if it facilitated a trade for a young QB like Rosen.

6 hours ago, Anselmheifer said:

Also, Juan Thornhill ran a 4.42 with a 44 inch vertical and a 141 inch broad jump. That's not a typo. One hundred and forty one inches. I need to go back and watch him. For all of the draftniks, what does his tape look like and where do you think he will be drafted?

I had never heard of the kid, but Thornhill looks like he'd make for an excellent candidate for FS/Nickle. Not a lot of legitimate knocks on him. One article I read said that although initially pegged to be a 3rd rounder, his combine performance may move him into the 2nd round. I'd love to have him, and dig that he's a local product. We'll have to see what it costs us to obtain a QB/WR/LG/TE in order to know if he's a realistic get.

12 minutes ago, bowhunter said:

I had never heard of the kid, but Thornhill looks like he'd make for an excellent candidate for FS/Nickle. Not a lot of legitimate knocks on him. One article I read said that although initially pegged to be a 3rd rounder, his combine performance may move him into the 2nd round. I'd love to have him, and dig that he's a local product. We'll have to see what it costs us to obtain a QB/WR/LG/TE in order to know if he's a realistic get.

As a UVA  fan, i know a bit about Thornhill.

Can play any of CB, FS, SS. Most suited to FS. Great ball skills and range.

I had no idea that he was THAT athletic though. He had a very productive college career helping turn the UVA program around from the dumps to a winning team.

56 minutes ago, Jericho said:

Peter King mentioned a few times how he heard from people that thought the Cards only get a 3rd for Rosen. That may or may not be right, but is probably a better judge to his market than first round picks

I agree, with the number of teams looking for a starter in 2019... mixed with the number of teams who COULD use a 1st on a QB... mixed with the number of 1st round graded QBs... plus the number of 'bridge' qbs available, I don't see Rosen's value being a 1st round pick.  I dont think they get that, nor should they.  

First major mock I spotted post combine.  Redskins take Hockenson.  I'd love it.  Interesting though JP Finlay mentioned 2 players he's heard they like:  Noah Fant and Chris Lindstrom.  Ironically, as I was typing this i heard Peter Schrager going on about talking to some GMs, some have Fant now higher on their boards than Hockenson.  The players we kept hearing linked last year that they liked were: Payne, Vea, James, Fitzpatrick, Guice.   They didn't take James but Doug admitted not everyone at the drafting table agreed on Payne as the BPA at that spot.

My point is I am taking their leaks this year seriously.  So far its been just:  Fant, Lindstrom, M. Brown.  I am sure we will hear more names but that's the crumbs so far. 

17 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

First major mock I spotted post combine.  Redskins take Hockenson.  I'd love it.  Interesting though JP Finlay mentioned 2 players he's heard they like:  Noah Fant and Chris Lindstrom.  Ironically, as I was typing this i heard Peter Schrager going on about talking to some GMs, some have Fant now higher on their boards than Hockenson.  The players we kept hearing linked last year that they liked were: Payne, Vea, James, Fitzpatrick, Guice.   They didn't take James but Doug admitted not everyone at the drafting table agreed on Payne as the BPA at that spot.

My point is I am taking their leaks this year seriously.  So far its been just:  Fant, Lindstrom, M. Brown.  I am sure we will hear more names but that's the crumbs so far. 

Honestly I would be happy with Fant as well. Package Reed and a third for Rosen, draft Hockenson or Fant. I'd be content.

2 hours ago, Jericho said:

Peter King mentioned a few times how he heard from people that thought the Cards only get a 3rd for Rosen. That may or may not be right, but is probably a better judge to his market than first round picks

Me like for a 3rd round pick 😁

HTTR 

1 hour ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Late 1st round to mid 2nd WRs I’m intrigued by ...

Hakeem Butler

Marquise Brown

Deebo Samuel

AJ Brown

if we can come away with one of those guys + Rosen while adding a couple 2/3’s I feel confident in our offense in 2019

Yeah, those are some talented guys.  Not sure I’ll feel ‘confident’ in our offense until we sort out qb and LG though (and have a second quality back on the roster).  It would be a nice start.  

34 minutes ago, dballer said:

Honestly I would be happy with Fant as well. Package Reed and a third for Rosen, draft Hockenson or Fant. I'd be content.

I’d be good with this.  Might not pay dividends this year as I believe TEs tend to develop somewhat slowly and Rosen will need some time to acclimate, but it’s a step forward.  

25 minutes ago, HigSkin said:

Would love Fant or Hock but does anybody feel like if Skins spend a 2nd on Rosen there's almost a necessity to trade down and try to get a 2nd back?  

I feel the same.  Not sure we could swing a 2nd, but you never know.  

@Anselmheifer Thornhill was one of my favorite safeties to watch film on.  I had an early to mid round grade on him and it’s looking like that’s where he’s most likely to go.  Savage was another I really liked (think I had him higher than any mocks I’d seen, much like Thornhill).  I hoped he’d last until our 3rd rounder, but mid to late 2nd was where I graded him.  With his combine, I think around mid 2nd is where he goes.  

1 hour ago, HigSkin said:

Would love Fant or Hock but does anybody feel like if Skins spend a 2nd on Rosen there's almost a necessity to trade down and try to get a 2nd back?  

I wouldn't mind them trading down to pick up the 2nd IF that's what it cost for Rosen.

28 minutes ago, RWJ said:

I wouldn't mind them trading down to pick up the 2nd IF that's what it cost for Rosen.

Yeah I want to trade back from 15. There should be an Edge rusher there someone will covet as that might be the final spot to get the last elite guy. Which would be a need for us. But we may need to make a conscious decision to reload draft capital to properly set the offense up for Rosen. 

We cant fill every need every year. We may have to go with Ryan Anderson and a cheaper FA to replace Preston and maybe look toward the 2020 draft to restock defense with that elite CB or Edge. 

I think we should prioritize WR, TE and LG to give Rosen some talent. 

Use FA to get a safety and maybe an ILB to make the middle defense elite and wait to upgrade the edges of the defense until 2020. Collins, R. foster upgrade our defense just fine. 

A later 1 and a 3/3/3 would allow us to go WR, TE, LG and get a defender in the first 2 days. 

3 hours ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

I think we should prioritize WR, TE and LG to give Rosen some talent. 

Bars from ND or Cajuste at LG in the 4th and 3rd respectively is good value. I'm wondering if Geron steps up at any point this season. 

1 hour ago, SemperFi Skins said:

That's a fairly realistic mock from DJ

Bradbury at 16 is a major stretch. 

SteveMcQueen1's guy Butler.  He's becoming enticing to me if he's there in the 2nd.  Him and Deebo in that round. And Marquise if he drops that far.  That goes double if they get Rosen who I like but not love.  Rosen's weakness IMO is he has a Rex Grossman streak in him where he just lets it fly, makes bad decisions at times and turnovers ensue.  You need IMO receivers with him with size who can fight off defenders with 50-50 balls.   When it was Alex, I wanted YAC guys with speed like Marquise.  But if it ends up Rosen, I'd want guys with size-good catch radius, feisty with 50-50 balls. 

Archived