Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2019 Comprehensive Draft Thread

Going Commando

A lot of the off-season IMO is dictated by if we get Rosen, and what we have to give up.

I am going to assume that we end up signing 2 big FA this off-season, both on defense. I think a Safety and an Edge. Since it doesn't look like we'll be getting back Smith, I think we draft an Edge in the mid-rounds to pair with a Fowler or Dee Ford type. I'm thinking $8-10m APY types not the $15m APY types ala Clowney. I also think we get Landon Collins for big bucks. We can afford to big, splashy signings, and I think they'll be in that territory.

That sets up the draft nicely to fit our needs. Matthew Berry of all people was chatting on twitter with some Skins folks about how he interviewed Jay at the combine and Jay loves Quinn as the SWR in the offense.

Assuming we trade our 2019 2nd and a 2020 pick (2nd or 3rd) here's what I think could happen ...

Trade 1.15 to NE for a 1st, 3rd and 4th

1st: Hakeem Butler, WR Iowa State

3rd: Chris Lidstrom, G Boston College

3rd: Kaden Smith, TE Stanford

3rd: Defense

4th: Defense

5th: Best RB Available

5th: Defense

6th: Defense

7th: Defense

7th: Defense

Championship!

No, but really, that would be an amazing off-season.

Defense:

Landon Collins at SS

Dante Folwer at EDGE

4-5 draft picks at ILB, EDGE, CB, S for depth

Offense:

Rosen at QB

Rookie playmaker at WR

Rookie plug and play LG

Rookie TE to groom long-term

Love that. Hopefully the first domino to fall is Rosen.

Also, this off-season would not put Allen/Gruden's job on the line. Rosen acquisition would likely buy the front office 2 more years ... so the team could take less of a "win now" approach and continue to "build the youth" around Rosen.

Denver is not going to go qb. Not in this draft. Vic Fangio, defensive savant, is going to trade down and pick up some ammunition to help rebuild the defense. Maybe they will go qb next year, but Flacco is not that bad. He gets a bad rap for not being able to make the Perriman's of the world look great. But Baltimore's core is receiving from the TE and RB, both of which were absent from either injuries or vegas. He is much better than Jackson, but Harbaugh had to toe that company line to keep his job.

QBs:

- Cardinals after Murray

- Giants and Raiders likely competing for Haskins

- Jaguars will get Foles --- may be open to drafting a mid-round QB too, in case Foles doesn't pan out, but not anyone early

- Denver is out with Flacco, may get a mid-round guy like JAX

- Dolphins may luck into Lock at 13, but my sense is they're hitting a full re-set and will target QB in 2020, not interested in Rosen

Wild-card teams:

- Patriots, Chargers, Saints ... teams that could opt to draft QB at the end of the 1st or in the 2nd to address their future at the position

5 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Corners though typically go higher than expected not lower. So not sure what to make of the Walter Football article below but they've been right about a bunch of things recently so you never know.

If I were an NFL team looking to muddy the waters and devalue a prospect I really wanted to drop to me, I would probably talk to people like Charlie Campbell to do it.  Website that a lot of people read, check.  Layman who knows nothing and can't tell that I'm lying to him, check.

Also, not a chance Gruden goes after a qb when he has a golden opportunity at Lawrence next year, good trade bate in Carr, and the TANK COMMANDER, Nathan Peterman at the helm.

1. Cards will select Murray

2. Giants will select Haskins

3. Dolphins will select Lock

5 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Yeah.  Best case scenario is that Flacco is a bridge QB who gives them a year, maybe two of quality play.

So why get Keenum, then trade for Flacco, THEN draft Lock when the plan is Flacco for a year or two and the QB class next year is considered much stronger.... They'd be going very heavy on winning now, then not drafting a 1st round player to help that cause.  

20 minutes ago, OVCChairman said:

So why get Keenum, then trade for Flacco, THEN draft Lock when the plan is Flacco for a year or two and the QB class next year is considered much stronger.... They'd be going very heavy on winning now, then not drafting a 1st round player to help that cause.   

Bird in the hand.  You don't need four good qb prospects, just one.  If a good one is sitting there at your pick, you take him, regardless of who might be in next year's class.

They're trying to make another run with that defense before it's window is closed in a year or two.  But you also want to have stability and competitiveness after.  To make the transition that the Seahawks are making.

46 minutes ago, Skin'emAlive said:

Also, not a chance Gruden goes after a qb when he has a golden opportunity at Lawrence next year, good trade bate in Carr, and the TANK COMMANDER, Nathan Peterman at the helm.

Oh man, I forgot the Raiders also have the Bears 2020 1st round pick, too. But FYI, Lawrence can't come out until 2021.

Raiders are loaded with picks this year and next. They really should consider trading one of their later 1st rounders for a mid-round pick and a 2020 1st. Roll into 2020 with three 1st round picks to get whatever QB you want, unless someone else owns the 1st pick and needs a QB.

20 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Oh man, I forgot the Raiders also have the Bears 2020 1st round pick, too. But FYI, Lawrence can't come out until 2021.

Real? Oh, I didnt know that. Why? Still, there is a strong possibility that Vegas wont be ready within a year. I fully expect the Vegas Raiders will have the no.1 overall if Lawrence is available.

37 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Bird in the hand.  You don't need four good qb prospects, just one.  If a good one is sitting there at your pick, you take him, regardless of who might be in next year's class.

They're trying to make another run with that defense before it's window is closed in a year or two.  But you also want to have stability and competitiveness after.  To make the transition that the Seahawks are making.

Yeah i can see that.  I think they need help though.  I don't even see them in contention for the division with that team and Flacco as the QB.  A 1st round WR could be a piece that gets them closer.  They still have to compete with the Chargers, as well as the the Chiefs.  Drafting lock at 10... just seems like they'd be wasting this season but you absolutely may be right.... I had discounted them when maybe i shouldnt have. 

21 minutes ago, Skin'emAlive said:

Real? Oh, I didnt know that. Why? Still, there is a strong possibility that Vegas wont be ready within a year. I fully expect the Vegas Raiders will have the no.1 overall if Lawrence is available.

He was a true freshman this past year. He isn't eligible for the NFL draft until after his 3rd college season, which would be after the 2020 season (thus 2021 draft)

Though next year's draft with Tua, Fromm, Herbert, Fields, etc. is also considered elite AF.

1 hour ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

If I were an NFL team looking to muddy the waters and devalue a prospect I really wanted to drop to me, I would probably talk to people like Charlie Campbell to do it.  Website that a lot of people read, check.  Layman who knows nothing and can't tell that I'm lying to him, check.

Rumors can always be false, agree.  Just recall they had it early that the Redskins liked Da'ron Payne a lot last year and liked him over Vea.  They were talking about Polite's character issues weeks ago.   So sometimes there is some smoke to the fire.  But agree sometimes its just BS peddled by personnel guys on purpose.  Like I said typically CBs go if anything higher than expected not lower,

13 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Rumors can always be false, agree.  Just recall they had it early that the Redskins liked Da'ron Payne a lot last year and liked him over Vea.  They were talking about Polite's character issues weeks ago.   So sometimes there is some smoke to the fire.  But agree sometimes its just BS peddled by personnel guys on purpose.  Like I said typically CBs go if anything higher than expected not lower,

I think teams at the back end of the first are lying to draftniks about the CBs.  The evaluation of Greedy that Campbell got from that AFC team was comical.  Ditto with the guy who called Byron Murphy just a zone corner when he was one of the best in man coverage in CFB this year and it's clearly his strongest coverage.

These are three really good corners and teams want them.  Julian Love is a first round caliber corner too.

4 hours ago, mhd24 said:

Latest mock from me (there will be trades, but I can't assume it)

1)  Cards-Murray (too much smoke)

2)  49ers-Bosa (easy pick)

3)  Jets-Allen (I think they want to trade down in the worst way to pick up a lost 2nd from the Darnold trade.  This is probably the spot for Haskins)

4)  Raiders-Williams (IMO, BPA in the draft.  Easy pick for them)

5)  TB-Montez Sweat (fastest riser in the draft.  Can go in FA to get o-lineman)

6)  Giants-Haskins (may have to trade up to ensure they get him)

7)  Jags-JaWaan Taylor (Must improve their o-line.  TE is deep enough to not take the enticing Hockenson)

8-Detroit-Hokenson (Easy pick for them)

9)  Bills-Jonah Williams (I think they'd love to trade down.  They can get WRs in FA and in the 2nd/3rd rounds)

10)  Denver-Lock (Denver won't pass on a young QB.  Flacco is a stopgap)

11)  Bengals-Devin White (easily can go higher)

12)  GB-Rashan Gary (I don't love him as a prospect, but they need to improve the D-line)

13)  Miami-Wilkins (fits as a leader for their rebuilding effort)

14)  Atlanta-Oliver (easy fit in their scheme)

15)  Redskins (I'd want to trade down if possible.  No one I like at 15.  Rather get more picks.  If push came to shove, I'd take Ferrell).

Forgot about Brian Burns.  If you want a speed edge rusher, then he's certainly an option.

10 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN '74 said:

Deandre Baker at the top of the second works for me once we get that #33 pick off the Cards.  

Trade 15 for Rosen and 33?

I don't hate that, but I think I would rather offer 76 for him straight up.

I also definitely don't think Baker is going to be there at 33.  His film was really really good this year.  Arguably the best in CFB at the CB position.  He's a first rounder.

Not at all. Haskins just looks a little better than average. Looks like Gerrard... which is probably why Jax is going with Foles. He doesn’t have the athletic ability to make things happen or the quick trigger finger. Would rather go BPA * at a position of need*

Archived