Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2019 Comprehensive Draft Thread

Going Commando

5 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

I feel like Haskins is being undervalued.  Would you all trade 15, 76, next year's first, and some day three change for him if that could get us up high enough to pick him?

I would not. For Murray, I'd think long and hard about it. I would not give up next years first for Haskins. 

1 minute ago, Skin'emAlive said:

Not at all. Haskins just looks a little better than average. Looks like Gerrard... which is probably why Jax is going with Foles. He doesn’t have the athletic ability to make things happen or the quick trigger finger. Would rather go BPA * at a position of need* 

He's definitely a statue, but I disagree about the other things you said.  That release is really pretty.  And I think he's got the best pocket footwork and most effortless arm talent in the class.  He can throw two dozen deep outs in a row without breaking a sweat or missing his timing and spot.  His film is just big time throw after big time throw.

You can tell Haskins was a prodigy and was groomed to play NFL QB from a very young age.  The game is easy for him.  It's OK to be a statue when you are that gifted of a passer.

6 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Trade 15 for Rosen and 33?

I don't hate that, but I think I would rather offer 76 for him straight up.

I also definitely don't think Baker is going to be there at 33.  His film was really really good this year.  Arguably the best in CFB at the CB position.  He's a first rounder.

I'm with either of those scenarios tbh. I too agree 76 is a better swap for us but I think it would end up costing a 2nd and maybe a 4th for Rosen. If that's the case I'd rather have the extra draft capital. I don't think there's enough elite talent to the point where there's a massive gap between 15-35. There's always a chance an elite talent could drop like Jonathan Allen but I doubt it. 

Listened to Finlay on Sheehan's podcast. Not a lot of info but some small tidbits.

He knows they like Noah Fant and Chris Lindstrom.

A Redskins scout told him Rosen's talent is there and doesn't blame him for what went down in Arizona.

As for trades they are interested in throwing players into deals versus purely offering draft picks.

He said 2 national personnel people told him Alex is done.

Edit:  Listened to Cooley on the Qbs on the same podcast.  Looks like he's backing off some on Daniel Jones, said he's not sure about him.  And wouldn't take him at 15.  I recall he said on a recent podcast that he didn't watch a lot of Jones for his initial opinion and needed to watch more.  He is still mega in love with Lock, thinks he's the closest to a sure thing aside from Murray and thinks he will go top 5.  

As for Rosen, he's take on him actually was similar to the one I gave on the QB thread with some exceptions. He thinks he has good arm strength, he can sling it.  Can get the ball down the field.  He's a clinic in the pocket -- good feel for the pocket, moves and slides in the pocket well.   Mechanics are A +.  He trusts himself massively and throws in tight windows.  Intermediate throws are fantastic.  Courage in the pocket.  Can avoid sacks well.    He knows protections and you can see him work that on the field. 

The negatives -- he throws deep too much, he doesn't throw underneath enough.  In other words turns down too many easy throws for harder throws that are less likely to be complete.  Doesn't go to the check down well.  He waits too many times for his next reads to open versus checking down. Doesn't throw that great on the run with boots.   Needs to keep two hands on the ball -- fumbles too much.  Can be late on throws.   He thinks he can improve on his weaknesses -- meaning they aren't hopeless things that can't be fixed.    He thinks they can build around him.  Clearly he doesn't like him as much as Lock.  Neither do I. 

He dovetails with my take that his weakness is making bad decisions-turnovers.  But he is adding that he's passing over easy throws for tougher ones and bad things happen to him on some of those throws.   An INT will happen often with him passing over an easier pass. 

For me at 15, if they have to go get a QB, then try to get Lock if they don't have to trade up a ton.  If they are going to 2nd-4th round for a QB and Rosen is an option for similar draft capital then go get Rosen in that context.   I wouldn't trade a first for Rosen.   So am sticking to my position on it.    So am in the like not love category still on Rosen.  I do like Lock better -- but I think i am unique on this (along with Cooley).

Some really good times from the safeties this year.  Good jumps too.  Juan Thornhill and Darnell Savage put up ridiculous numbers.

Feels like round two and early round three is an ideal round for safety.  I think a run on the position will happen concurrently with the WR run.  I would LOVE to get a box thumper like Abram in the second.  That would be fantastic value.  Thornhill is interesting too because he can play corner, especially as a third round value.  Rapp and Adderly are probably second rounders, third at the worst.  Deionte Thompson will be in the second round mix too.

56 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Trade 15 for Rosen and 33?

I don't hate that, but I think I would rather offer 76 for him straight up.

I also definitely don't think Baker is going to be there at 33.  His film was really really good this year.  Arguably the best in CFB at the CB position.  He's a first rounder.

Something along those lines trade wise yes.

I do agree about Baker too, was being way too optimistic, could see him going to Oakland in the 20s range. I'd be happy if he were a Redskin though.

36 minutes ago, SemperFi Skins said:

Check out Amani Hooker as well... 

Kraft probably wants him for the Pats.

45 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

As for trades they are interested in throwing players into deals versus purely offering draft picks.

Oh **** that makes me nervous. I'm fine if it's a vet on an inflated contract, no more young talent out of the door though please. If the like Settle and Brantley, I'd worry we may be about to lose Matt Ion Man.

4 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN '74 said:

Oh **** that makes me nervous. I'm fine if it's a vet on an inflated contract, no more young talent out of the door though please. If the like Settle and Brantley, I'd worry we may be about to lose Matt Ion Man.

I love Matt but we have a lot of talent on that DL and considering we snatched him up in the 5th, if that's the trade (something like the Alex trade where it's a 3rd and Matt), i'm all about that. 

4 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN '74 said:

Yeah Ioannidis hit me too as the most likely trade bait.   Finlay didn't know specific names they'd use.  He just heard that's on the table.  Hoffman said similar similar in another segment. 

8 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN '74 said:

Matt Ioannidis is in the last year of his rookie deal and I'm not sure how we can afford to re-sign him.  Our DL has Jon Allen and Daron Payne, assuming we eventually extend both of them, having Ioannidis would be extremely expensive for the DL.

So I think trading Ioannidis makes sense.

3 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

I love Matt but we have a lot of talent on that DL and considering we snatched him up in the 5th, if that's the trade (something like the Alex trade where it's a 3rd and Matt), i'm all about that. 

True, no chance longer term we'll be paying Matt, Allen and Payne. Perhaps we should be forward thinking though, trade Kerrigan and re-sign Preston Smith. Or trade Reed for example.

Just now, Alcoholic Zebra said:

Matt Ioannidis is in the last year of his rookie deal and I'm not sure how we can afford to re-sign him.  Our DL has Jon Allen and Daron Payne, assuming we eventually extend both of them, having Ioannidis would be extremely expensive for the DL.

Finlay didn't hear that Ioannidis is on the block but speculated about him like we are doing here and did mention the last year of the rookie deal

2 minutes ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

Just posted very similar.

8 minutes ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

Hmm, Josh Doctson is also on the last year of his rookie deal.

And we're apparently not keen on taking up his fifth year option. Not sure how appealing he is via trade though.

I was wondering about Paul Richardson, bust material here in the making, big cap number though, 7mil if on the roster, rising to 9mil if we move him on. 

Man, I think you guys are a bit crazy.  

Ioannidis is a stud, and we finally have defensive line depth.  

Personally, I don’t think it makes sense to sweat contracts 3-4 years down the line because of injury, trade options, etc., but...

Contract-wise, we can extend Io three years (thru 2022) and there would be one year of overlap with Allen on a big contract and Payne on his 5th year option.  

Of course, when we traded for Smith, Fuller and Ioannidis were the two guys I absolutely wouldn’t have put on the table (well, Allen too, but the former were also a lot cheaper), so I was ticked.  Makes sense I guess, since we built our corner unit to a strength, than weakened it... and so we’d do the same for dline.  

3 minutes ago, skinny21 said:

Man, I think you guys are a bit crazy.  

Ioannidis is a stud, and we finally have defensive line depth.  

Personally, I don’t think it makes sense to sweat contracts 3-4 years down the line because of injury, trade options, etc., but...

Contract-wise, we can extend Io three years (thru 2022) and there would be one year of overlap with Allen on a big contract and Payne on his 5th year option. 

What incentive does Ioannidis have to do that deal?  He'd get more playing time and a longer contract if he hits Free Agency.  Probably also more money.  My guess is either we trade now and get a return on him in 2019.  Or we let him walk in 2020, and get a comp pick in 2021 for him.

1 hour ago, UK SKINS FAN '74 said:

True, no chance longer term we'll be paying Matt, Allen and Payne. Perhaps we should be forward thinking though, trade Kerrigan and re-sign Preston Smith. Or trade Reed for example.

I think with those two and Settle and Brantley still young, if there's anywhere we have a surplus of talent it's on the DL. Granted, we don't know 100% what we have with Brantley and Settle but both are oozing with talent that fell either because of positional depth or non-football related problems, but finding rotational guys along the front 3 is never a problem in the NFL. Hell Grady Jarrett is one of the best in the game and he's gonna be available. Wilkerson and Mohammed as well. Or take a chance on a guy like Luiget. 

I wouldn't trade Kerrigan because he's still a leader out there and is always around the play (even if he doesn't make it). Preston Smith is a dime a dozen in my book.

1 hour ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

What incentive does Ioannidis have to do that deal?  He'd get more playing time and a longer contract if he hits Free Agency.  Probably also more money.  My guess is either we trade now and get a return on him in 2019.  Or we let him walk in 2020, and get a comp pick in 2021 for him.

That’s fair enough.  I was picturing the chance for him to go for a 3rd contract before hitting age 30 (which I think he could do even with a 4 year deal).  Bottom line, I’m pretty sure we can work out a deal that leads to us keeping him for the next few years, and then either trading him or letting him walk for a comp pick.  

“We won’t be able to afford these guys in 3-4 years” just is not a factor for me.  

I especially don’t understand factoring in Settle and Brantley.  They’re virtual unknowns, while Ioannidis is probably one of the best pass rushing IDL in the league.  We’d be an injury away from Settle and Brantley being forced into heavy rotation.  

Now, for a tangent on this subject... how about trading Rueben Foster?  That would be hilarious.

I could see Zach Brown in the trade mix maybe.  Perhaps Reed, Norman, Thompson, Dunbar, Davis, Nicholson, but there are issues with all of them. 

Don’t really know who else...

Basically, not any good, young players that are still on their rookie deals.  We already made that mistake once. 

3 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

I feel like Haskins is being undervalued.  Would you all trade 15, 76, next year's first, and some day three change for him if that could get us up high enough to pick him?

I'm not giving up picks for ANYONE.  I'd rather trade back, if anything.  We have far too many holes and there is no way I'd give up the future, once again, for ANY college player, especially when we have a shoddy OL that would put our new, expensive toy on IR.

If you want to trade Norman or Reed to move up, I may be interested, if it were a great deal for us, but that's about it.

1 minute ago, sempre_victrix said:

I'm not giving up picks for ANYONE.  I'd rather trade back, if anything.  We have far too many holes and there is no way I'd give up the future, once again, for ANY college player, especially when we have a shoddy OL that would put our new, expensive toy on IR.

If you want to trade Norman or Reed to move up, I may be interested, if it were a great deal for us, but that's about it.

I feel the same.  I’d consider a pick swap though I suppose (in general, that’s not gonna do the trick for Haskins obviously). 

Archived