Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2019 Comprehensive Draft Thread

Going Commando

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I hear you but considering 4 desperate for QB teams pick ahead of us at QB, no shot at Haskins I presume.

I read on twitter that we had scouts checking out Duke's Jones.  We could move up and take him.  His HC at Duke worked with both Peyton and Eli.  

15 minutes ago, RWJ said:

I read on twitter that we had scouts checking out Duke's Jones.  We could move up and take him.  His HC at Duke worked with both Peyton and Eli.  

Doug was at the Duke bowl game against Temple, I watched the game, they panned the camera multiple times to Doug.

Wasn't saying though Jones is out of reach though he certainly might be -saying Haskins looks to be the first Qb drafted and with 4 teams who need QBs drafting ahead of us, Haskins seems like a major long shot.

7 minutes ago, bakedtater1 said:

Forgot about teddy..I could see that working.

They'd need to cut and not sign expensive replacements. Get that LG handled.  Then add some blazing speed at WR to open up the lanes for Richardson/Doctson, relying on the power running game.  Bridgewater works into that format really well.  

I do think Alex Smith will retire.  Not enough savings to cut McCoy unless you take Josh Johnson at vet min. as a backup to Bridgewater. Then add a developmental un-drafted for the practice squad. Wouldn't bother drafting a QB this year, just isn't any value in it. 

5 minutes ago, bakedtater1 said:

I'm going to make a phone call Monday and might not get any where with it but will see..stay tuned lol

yeah he's older then when Theismann did his, I fully expect them to say nothing...he's going to get rehab and then likely realize there's no reason to go back out there. 

He's a family guy.  No reason for him to play football again.  He's done. 

If you knew you were going to get $53 Million to retire...no brainer. 

34 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Doug was at the Duke bowl game against Temple, I watched the game, they panned the camera multiple times to Doug.

Wasn't saying though Jones is out of reach though he certainly might be -saying Haskins looks to be the first Qb drafted and with 4 teams who need QBs drafting ahead of us, Haskins seems like a major long shot.

I agree, SIP. :)  

13 minutes ago, RWJ said:

I agree, SIP. :)  

If we want Haskins, the reality is we will probably have to trade up to the first pick, which I'm actually fine with. I might also be ok with Will Grier, although I think that people who believe he will be available at the 15th pick of the second round are dreaming. If we want him, we will have to take him at 15 overall. God, I want no part of Jones. No part of him stands out. He's just another ticket to mediocrity, so that is probably what we should expect the skins to do. Hopefully someone else takes him and saves us from ourselves. 

Back to Brian Burns for a second. Someone said that he wasn't as fast as Josh Allen. I don't care what their 40 times are. Brian Burns moves like a WR in a 10-15 yard window. He moves like a 4.4 guy. The problem is, he also is built like a WR. ESPN has him officially listed as 6'5", 235 pounds, which means, you know he is less than that. I just saw a Walterfootball article that listed him as 218. He actually might not be much bigger than that. Does he Look as big as Megatron or Sean Taylor? Maybe I'm crazy, but I don't think so. None of that means I don't want him. We desperately need some speed around the corner. But, it has to give you pause. And, I don't care how much water he drinks right before his combine weigh in. He's little and he looks like the type of guy that isn't ever going to put on much weight. 

I'd stab someone to get Josh Allen on the team. Or at least, maybe cover it up when one of Ray Lewis' friends stabbed someone. 

24 minutes ago, Anselmheifer said:

If we want Haskins, the reality is we will probably have to trade up to the first pick, which I'm actually fine with. 

You would have to give up all of this year's picks and next year's as well.   Another 5 years of hell for the team. 

41 minutes ago, PlayAction said:

You would have to give up all of this year's picks and next year's as well.   Another 5 years of hell for the team. 

I don't know. When RG3 was doing well, it didn't look like hell. We looked pretty smart. We were making the playoffs. We looked like we might have a 10 year run. It was the injuries and the decreased effectiveness of the player we gave up all those assets for that got us. And the cap penalty we were dealing with. 

If I have to ask myself if I'd rather have 5 years of hell with a franchise QB and less team around him, or 5 years of hell, with no franchise QB, it's a no brainer.With a framchise QB on a rookie contract, we can sit him for a year and develop him. draft some later round OL to protect him. Invest in some 2nd-4th round WR's/TE's, and have a ton of cap room when Smith is off the books in 2021. 

Again, I'm not a Haskins or bust guy, but they better figure out something at the QB position because even with Alex Smith, we were never going to be a Super Bowl team. I'm 42. The last time we won a Super Bowl, I was a freshman in high school. Ten wins and a playoff appearance should not be our aspiration. Until our QB carousel stops, we don't have any chance of sustained success. 

I3PA6LYBHZAEXPLE3ZEG3VKAFQ (1).jpg

1 hour ago, PlayAction said:

I dont think it would take that much to get Haskins.  I dont even think it would take an RG3-level bid.  

All they need to do is trade up from #15 to the #5 pick.  Im pretty sure Haskins will be there at #5, that's Tampa Bay's pick.  I dont think theyre desperate for a QB, they need a lot of help on defense, especially defensive backs,  which would be a reach at #5,.  

Package our #15 pick, 2020 1st rounder, 2020 2nd or 3rd rounder.  Thats a deal they should take, and we should offer.  Since they need DB's it woulda been nice to through Swearinger in there to sweeten the pot, but ah well....  

5 hours ago, PlayAction said:

For a player who wouldn't even go in the 1st round if all 5 five of last years 1st round QBs were somehow in this years draft. 

Bleacher Report really doesn't like us:

" Every high-end rookie quarterback in this class should pray they don't hear their name called when Washington is on the clock. "

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2813735-best-and-worst-landing-spots-for-2019-nfl-drafts-top-quarterback-prospects#slide5

Reality is, we really aren't set up for a rookie QB to walk in and take the reins. But, IF our O-line is finally healthy next year, and both Guice and AP are what we should expect them to be, we really don't need a rookie QB to carry our team on their shoulders.

Trading up to get Haskins is a complete panic move. No way no how should that be done. You have aging superstars, a tight cap with a possible injury settlement, and would result in giving up a ton of draft picks that would contribute in positions of need. Let the draft fall to you and don't panic!!!

4 hours ago, nonniey said:

For a player who wouldn't even go in the 1st round if all 5 five of last years 1st round QBs were somehow in this years draft. 

Please insert eye roll emoji here.

Haskins has better stats than any of the guys taken last year. He played at a major program. Has great tape against other good teams. He has great size, but not as good as Allen. A great arm, probably better than everyone in last year's class other than Allen. Haskins is certainly less mobile than Mayfield and Allen ,but he can move in the pocket. His accuracy is great. His ability to read a defense is excellent. The only questions about him are whether he played with too much talent, and that he only has one year of a significant sample size. Although, in only 40 attempts the previous year, his stats were almost identical and he was fantastic in HS. Does anyone really think that if Haskins came back next year, he would be significantly worse than this year? Drafting a QB is a bit of a crap shoot.Haskins does have a chance to be as good or better than all of last year's picks. Size, accuracy, can read a defense, can sling it, was super productive in college and has a proven record against major programs.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/josh-allen-7.html

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/sam-darnold-1.html

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/josh-rosen-1.html

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/baker-mayfield-1.html

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/josh-allen-7.html

44 minutes ago, Anselmheifer said:

Drafting a QB is a bit of a crap shoot.Haskins does have a chance to be as good or better than all of last year's picks. Size, accuracy, can read a defense, can sling it, was super productive in college and has a proven record against major programs.

Exactly why you don't use your #15 pick plus your first, second and third round picks next year to get him.  If the Skins wait until next year they can use their current year #15, and keep the 2nd and 3rd round picks from next year.  You get your QB + 3 potential starters.  

8 hours ago, Monk4thaHALL said:

There is safety talent to be had. Could name three guys right now who could fill three different roles at FS, SS Rover and Nickel LB and easily slide right into the roster.

One in particular who is criminally under the radar. 

Ummmm....want to name them please?

10 minutes ago, PlayAction said:

Exactly why you don't use your #15 pick plus your first, second and third round picks next year to get him.  If the Skins wait until next year they can use their current year #15, and keep the 2nd and 3rd round picks from next year.  You get your QB + 3 potential starters.  

This is under the assumption we finish among the worst in the league in 2019, right?

The thing that might intrigue the Redskins the most about Haskins is his local ties...his family moved to Potomac when he was in 9th grade (from NJ). I'd personally love for him to be the next Redskins QB but as previous posters said we are in no position giving up a kings ransom (again) for a QB at this time. I think we should use our draft resources on other positions of need and sign a FA QB like Tyrod Taylor or Blake Bortles. 

Archived