Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Wildfires Thread

China

In Sacramento, and we're not allowed to go outside today because the air quality is so bad. But at least thankful I get to still have a house to stay in. This year has been wild. Smoke has been in the air for a major portion of this summer/fall (more than 50%). I'm getting more and more frustrated with our utility's (PG&E) infrastructure issues. Its gotten so bad that whenever you feel that dry wind start to blow in, you know a fire is about to start. Its almost guaranteed, and power lines/transformers shouldn't fail every single damn time there's a little bit of wind. I know there are other issues at play (climate change - we still haven't gotten a drop of rain since last winter, and shouldve had inches by now), but I wish PG&E would stop trying to pass blame and trying to avoid lawsuits, and start reinforcing/modernizing their structures

also, as others have said, firefighters and medical units out here have been incredible and are real heroes

Edited by mammajamma

For those who have not seen the video of the one guy surviving among the convoy of vehicles........Graphic content, but I feel people need to see how real this fire is......GRAPHIC CONTENT>>>>NSFW

Spoiler

GRAPHIC CONTENT>>>>NSFW

Edited by killerbee99
  • Sad 1

Got married in Malibu. Great little house owned by a wonderful couple. Now it's completely gone. Have several friends or friends or friends who lost everything. They are dealing with it unbelievably well. It's brought the best in so many. Except on social media, of course.  

3 hours ago, PCS said:

Sigh. Dear Lord in Heaven. :(

and the missing list is now 631. I'm sure some don't know they are on the missing list but damn. I feel like this story is somehow under-reported or maybe people just becoming immune to major tragedies in this country. It's crazy what happened. 

49 minutes ago, The Evil Genius said:

The AQ fallout 150 miles away has been stunning. We had a 200+ AQ index today here in the East Bay. ?

We're currently at 480 in my neighborhood in Sacramento right now. I'd love 200 right now ha

I'm pretty sure the index only goes up to 500... Anyway, its currently ranked the worst air quality in the world right now

• Sad 1

8 hours ago, Dr. Do Itch Big said:

That’s insane. Davis and midtown is only like 20 miles apart. Weird to think the air quality would be so different. 

Thank the causeway. Or maybe the rice fields. Just glad I'm not in Elk Grove anymore.

Stay safe guys. 

Edited by The Evil Genius
  • Like 3

Screen shot of a wildfire public information map. Little size comparison there. Camp Fire,(top left with modis hot spots in and outside the East and South sides of the fire's perimeter),and Lake Tahoe bottom right corner. Inside that perimeter all kinds of small towns and such. Heavy,heavy sigh. 

campfire.jpg

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

How many bags of leaves would that be? If you were to rake that entire area?

"More bags than anyone has ever seen before since history, and it's ridiculous, and if you take a look at what's been going on and there's all the crazy stuff about not cutting the trees and they're losing all their jobs and everyone knows it---and you know it and you understand it---you all see what's going on and the liberals are saving the trees but killing their own people just like they did with Obama's death panels. It's like a war zone here under the dems, worse than Afghanistan and everyone knows it---now you can't even breathe becuase the way they're fighting the fires is causing more smoke---they're using 'safe' chemicals that protect the trees and the animals but they don't work on the fires!! It's crazy what the dems are doing---they're ruining the entire state and everyone can see that but they will lie about it and won't tell you the truth and the fake news helps them by making it all about the drama and not the fact that there are way too many trees that need to be logged and we wouldn't know any of this if Alex Jones hadn't covered it."

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1