Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Wildfires Thread

China

Also having lived in rural WV for 7 years, Virginia Beach for 12 years,  Morgantown for 5, and NorCal for the remaining 21...this is by far the least of the problems I've faced. No 20 inches of snow overnight, no ice storms, little to no chance of flooding, no hurricanes...ans now that I live in the East Bay...mostly no extreme heat or freezing. 

40 minutes ago, @SkinsGoldPants said:

Need a national Aqueduct system to move water around to areas in drought. Not to rush water to places on fires. But to avoid California or the Farmlands from drying out. 

Most of SoCal should never have been built. Their entire water source is from NorCal and western Nevada. 

Edited by The Evil Genius
  • Like 2

52 minutes ago, Xameil said:

Don't forget the mudslides that can occur after the wildfires...

As a kid I thought California had perfect weather all the time. I had only ever been to San Diego so what'd I know. My grandfather set me straight. He hated the winters in Oakland. Said the rain and the mudslides were the absolute worst. 

1 hour ago, GibbsGreen11 said:

And if that doesn't scare you look at the inflation rate in Ca. 😀

And all the lifestyle homeless...

1 hour ago, mammajamma said:

on the other hand, hurricanes are getting stronger and stronger every year and do way more damage. i mean, 15 years later and there are neighborhoods in new orleans that are still uninhabitable.

yeah, my comment about the hurricane was about where I live. VA hasn’t ever been struck directly by a cat 3 or stronger Cain....

Edited by CousinsCowgirl84

1 hour ago, clietas said:

As a kid I thought California had perfect weather all the time. I had only ever been to San Diego so what'd I know. My grandfather set me straight. He hated the winters in Oakland. Said the rain and the mudslides were the absolute worst. 

depends on where you live in california.. i lived in San Diego for like 6 years and think i only complained about the weather twice the whole time - and that was when it was just over 90 degrees since nobody has A/C down there. "winter" time is absolutely gorgeous down there year after year. i actually prefer a little bit of seasons and variety though, so i'm enjoying northern california more for the most part (minus the smoke this past month). bay area weather can be a little wonky (fog, cooler summers), but its still better weather than most of the country has with extreme winters (blizzards) and summers (high humidity)

• Like 3

Massive smoke plume from Oregon wildfires invades Puget Sound region

SEATTLE - As hazy as it has been around Western Washington this week, the region has been spared the worst of the wildfire smoke and ensuing unhealthy air quality that has smothered much of Oregon and California this week, but unfortunately, the local air quality looks like it's about to get considerably worse.

A shift in the winds is about to blow a 'super massive' plume of smoke from Oregon and California wildfires up into Western Washington Friday and it appears to want to hang around for the entire weekend.

"It's actually overhead already but it's only starting to mix down to the surface so we expect air quality to really take a nose dive overnight,” said Andy Wineke with the Air Quality Program at the state Department of Ecology.

Seattle_Cam_BigFish.jpg

Click on the link for the full article

CaliforniaWildfiresNOAASep20-1.jpg?ve=1&

This satellite image provided by the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration at 20:36 UTC (1:36 pm PDT) shows smoke from wildfires blown westward, from California's Sierra Nevada to the Coast Ranges, at center to left, and from Oregon at top left, Tuesday, Sept. 8, 2020. (NOAA via AP)

daf78a0b-ezgif.com-video-to-gif.gif

NOAA released this GIF of the Oregon wildfires. (NOAA/CIRA)

Edited by China
  • Sad 1

As wildfires rage, false antifa rumors spur pleas from police

Police and local officials on the West Coast are battling multiple raging fires. They're also fighting a wave of misinformation from false rumors spread in neighborhood Facebook groups and on far-right websites that antifa activists were setting the blazes.

At least six groups have issued warnings about the false rumors, including some pleading with the public to stop sharing the misinformation.

“Rumors spread just like wildfire and now our 9-1-1 dispatchers and professional staff are being overrun with requests for information and inquiries on an UNTRUE rumor that 6 Antifa members have been arrested for setting fires in DOUGLAS COUNTY, OREGON,” the Douglas County Sheriff's Office wrote in a Facebook post on Thursday.

The false claims also became fodder for the now-sizable online QAnon community, which began amplifying various false reports earlier in the week.

The sheriffs in Jackson County, Oregon, and Mason County, Washington, posted similar warnings, begging locals to stop spreading unsubstantiated claims.

A firefighters union in Washington state called Facebook “an absolute cesspool of misinformation right now,” in a post that sought to quell more rumors about the fires’ origins.

On Friday afternoon, the FBI's Portland field office tweeted that reports about "extremists" setting wildfires were untrue.

Man arrested, charged with arson in connection with southern Oregon fire

A Southern Oregon man is accused of arson in connection with a fire that has caused major damage to several towns in Jackson County.

Michael Jarrod Bakkela, 41, has arrested on two counts of arson, 15 counts of criminal mischief and 14 counts of reckless endangerment.

The fire Bakkela set is considered to be one of two origins of the Almeda fire, said Oregon State Fire Marshal’s office spokesman Rich Tyler. The two fires quickly merged, Tyler said.

The Jackson County Sheriff’s Office said in a news release Friday afternoon that on Tuesday evening, a resident of Phoenix saw a person, later identified as Bakkela, lighting a fire behind their house on Quail Lane. Because there was an impending blaze, the residents who saw him set the fire had to flee their home.

When state troopers and sheriff’s deputies arrived, they saw Bakkela standing close to a large fire that was threatening several homes.

Bakkela was arrested and initially lodged in the Jackson County Jail on Tuesday on a charge of possession of methamphetamine. He remains in jail on the arson and criminal mischief charges.