Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Wildfires Thread

China

We will have worse conditions the next two days in SoCal.  50 to 60 mph gusts.  Being surrounded by mountains, I feel like I have to stay up on "fire watch".  Earthquakes don't phase me.  Getting woken up at 2 AM to evac due to fire is about as scary as it gets. 

Had friends get evacuated last week.

I live in LA as well.  Thankfully in the southern part of the city far enough from the inferno.  I haven't read much about the fires, but I am assuming they started because of human error, as in a stray cigarette or something along those lines.  All it takes is a small spark, it is so dry around here.  Has there been any info on how they started?

All I know is that every year for the past decade, fires have been a major problem in the state, as well as Oregon.  People need to be more careful jesus.  I have no doubt that global warming plays a part, lack of precipitation.  I would like to do some research when I get some time to really analyze what the problem is and how to prevent these damn fires.

Getty fire was a tree falling on powerline. 

Another fire this AM... too close to me.  Good news is it breaking out in daylight, so they can get the airplanes on it. Looks like Reagan Presidential Library is threatened.  If you want to see how good a job the firefighters do, watch how they defend it.  

• 6 months later...

CAL FIRE warns California residents to prepare for 'difficult' wildfire season

SAN FRANCISCO (KGO) -- CAL FIRE is warning California residents that this year's wildfire season is going to be more difficult than last due to the lack of late-season rain and snow.

On Monday, state and federal officials held a Wildfire Preparedness Week kick-off event, where they discussed how emergency responders are preparing for year-round wildfires.

CAL FIRE Director Chief Thom Porter says his agency is already seeing fires burning in the state but has yet to see one of significant size.

Click on the link for the full article

• 1 month later...

PG&E confesses to killing 84 people in 2018 California fire as part of guilty plea

Pacific Gas & Electric confessed on Tuesday to killing 84 people in a devastating 2018 wildfire that wiped out the northern California town of Paradise in November 2018.

Bill Johnson, PG&E’s CEO, entered guilty pleas on behalf of the company for 84 felony counts of involuntary manslaughter stemming from the fire, which was blamed on the company’s crumbling electrical grid.

“Our equipment started that fire,” said Johnson, who apologized directly to the victims’ families. “PG&E will never forget the Camp fire and all that it took away from the region.”

Although the admission was part of a plea deal, it came during a dramatic court hearing designed to publicly shame the nation’s largest utility for neglecting its infrastructure.

• Sad 1

• 1 month later...

If memory serves,that Bull's name is Fernando. Apparently locals to the area were concerned with his well being with the fire in the area. Guess he's doing okay. ;) 

Things have gotten to a fairly rapid start in the West as far as wildfires go. 

Couple of screen grabs of views from some of the Fire cameras they have set up throughout the region plus a couple of pics I took of fires that happened locally,(down the road about 15 miles). 

Here's a time lapse of one,(this one btw,might have been arson). 

lakefire.jpg

ranchfire.jpg

monarchfire1.jpg

nmbrsfire7.jpg

nmbrsfire8.jpg

WATCH LIVE: Officials give update on wildfires burning in Santa Cruz, San Mateo counties

A record-breaking heat wave combined with thousands of lightning strikes has sparked hundreds of wildfires around Northern California.

"Over the past 72 hours, California has experienced a historic lightning siege," said CAL FIRE division chief Jeremy Rahn. More than 10,800 lightning strikes started 367 new fires, Rahn said.

He went on to add, "Firefighting resources are depleted as new fires continue to ignite." Over the past few days, the fires in Napa and San Mateo counties have exploded, prompting mandatory evacuations.

"When you're under evacuation, you'll hear deputies in the neighborhood with a hi-lo siren," said Sonoma Sheriff Mark Essick. The siren means you must evacuate.

Click on the link for more

In Sacramento our skies have pretty much been overcast the past few days due to the Vacaville fires.  (about a 30-45 min drive from here) Supposedly the fires are raging pretty close to Interstate 80 across the street from a disc golf course I've been to a bunch.  Cars covered in ash in the morning. 

Every year it is the same ****.  I am tired of it.  Why are there so many fires?  I recall having this same discussion last year....I know there are many different factors.  Downed wires leading to electrical sparks, careless human error (I remember in LA some homeless people were trying to cook food and ended up starting one).  It's disgusting.  I have no doubt that global warming and incredibly dry foliage contributes.

Most of the current NorCal fires were from lightning strikes. **** that happens only 1x a decade. Previous fires were mostly arson and PG&E negligence. 

Like others, we've been getting the smoke and ash and insane heat (most neighbors don't have AC and its been pushing 90's here in the Pinole area). 

Stay safe everyone.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, abdcskins said:

Every year it is the same ****.  I am tired of it.  Why are there so many fires?  I recall having this same discussion last year....I know there are many different factors.  Downed wires leading to electrical sparks, careless human error (I remember in LA some homeless people were trying to cook food and ended up starting one).  It's disgusting.  I have no doubt that global warming and incredibly dry foliage contributes.

Clearly Californians don't spend enough time raking.

11 hours ago, The Evil Genius said:

Like others, we've been getting the smoke and ash and insane heat (most neighbors don't have AC and its been pushing 90's here in the Pinole area).

Yeah its been about 110 here for about a week now, but at least we have AC. I can't believe how hot the bay area has been (I saw Mill Valley over 100 at least 1 day), and thats practically on the water. No rain and 10,000+ dry lightening strikes is not a good combo

The smoke has now entered my house and everything smells like it now, but definitely very lucky to not be (currently) in danger of one of the hundreds of fires happening right now. its nuts out there

• Sad 1

On 8/20/2020 at 1:20 AM, China said:

Clearly Californians don't spend enough time raking.

Trump doubles down:

Trump hits California officials over wildfires: 'You've got to clean your floors'

President Trump on Thursday took aim at California officials as wildfires burned in the Bay Area, accusing leaders of improperly managing flammable debris in state forests leading to fires.

During a speech in Pennsylvania, the president blamed the wildfires on "years" of poor forest management in California.

"And I see again, the forest fires are starting," Trump said. "They're starting again in California. And I said, you've got to clean your floors. You've got to clean your floors."

"I've been telling them this now for three years, but they don't want to listen," he added.

Trump made similar comments last year, prompting California Gov. Gavin Newsom (D) to hit back by saying the president was unqualified to weigh in on fire safety due to his past remarks calling climate change a hoax.