Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Wildfires Thread

China

El Dorado Fire, sparked during gender reveal party, grows to 10,574 acres

Firefighters are still working Tuesday to contain a brush fire in the Yucaipa area that ignited over the weekend as a result of a gender reveal mishap.

Officials say the El Dorado Fire has now scorched 10,574 acres with 16% containment, according to an update at 7 a.m. on the U.S. Forest Service’s Inciweb information site.

Santa Ana winds forecast to blow through the area Tuesday are expected to fan the flames, prompting officials to leave mandatory evacuation orders in place.

Residents in parts of Oak Glenn, Forest Falls, Mountain Home Village and some of Yucaipa have been asked to leave their homes.

Residents can sign up for emergency alerts on the San Bernardino County website. The Red Cross has set up a reception site at the Yucaipa Community Center.

Click on the link for the full article

Stupid selfish people. Gender reveal parties seem like one of the most "look at me" activities out there.

Not as hot, but the skies are cloudy and dusty. I'm gonna be chilling in my house watching sports all day with the AC cranking for the next couple of weeks until the skies clear. I hate inhaling this ****.

Edited by abdcskins
  • Like 2

Track California Wildfires Using Space Satellite Images and Tools

California is currently experiencing one of the worst fire seasons in its history—and satellites are helping to track the scale of the blazes and the vast smoke plumes they are producing.

Instruments aboard several satellites—including NASA's Aqua and Terra spacecraft and the joint NASA/National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration Suomi NPP satellite—are constantly monitoring fires across the state, which have burned around two million acres this year, according to Cal Fire.

The video below shows a satellite image loop revealing the rapid expansion of several large new fires that broke out across California over the weekend, including the Creek Fire in Fresno County, the Valley Fire in San Diego County and the El Dorado Fire in San Bernardino County.

Another set of images show the vast amounts of smoke being pumped out by the Creek Fire—which has now burned more than 73,000 acres and is zero percent contained—as well as a large pyrocumulonimbus cloud.

Click on the link for more

‘Apocalypse on their mind’: Bay Area awakes to foreboding, orange, smoke-choked skies.

gallery_xlarge.jpg

gallery_xlarge.jpg

With the sky glowing from wildfire smoke, Mill Valley Senior Building Inspector Bejhan Razi checks out the repairs on a lamp post clock at Miller and Throckmorton in downtown Mill Valley, Calif., on Wednesday, September 9, 2020.Photo: Scott Strazzante / The Chronicle

Folks exercise at Lake Merritt as a dark orange hue colors the sky on Wednesday, September 9, 2020, in Oakland, Calif.

Folks exercise at Lake Merritt as a dark orange hue colors the sky on Wednesday, September 9, 2020, in Oakland, Calif.Photo: Yalonda M. James / The Chronicle

gallery_xlarge.jpg

San Francisco is unrecognizeable as seen from Billy Goat Hill Park, bathed in the yellow/orange pallor of wildland fire smoke-choked skies on Wednesday, Sept. 9, 2020. Smoke from multiple wildland fires buring in California and neighboring states is fouling the sky, blotting out the sun.Photo: Manjula Varghese, Manjula Varghese / The Chronicle

gallery_xlarge.jpg

The California coast near Pacifica, Calif was dark and orange Tuesday morning, Sept. 9, 2020. Bay Area residents woke up to dark orange skies Tuesday morning caused by smoke from the numerous wildfires burning across the state.Photo: Brian Feulner / Special to The Chronicle

17,565-acre Valley Fire 11% contained; red flag warning canceled

SAN DIEGO – Firefighters Wednesday continued to battle the Valley Fire, which has scorched 17,565 acres and remains 11% contained, officials said.

By Wednesday morning, the fire had destroyed 20 habitable structures and 17 minor structures and damaged nine structures, a Cal Fire incident commander said.

Firefighters are attempting to protect properties along the wildfire’s path while securing it in the eastern part of the county. Nearly 700 fire personnel are assigned to battle the blaze.

The National Weather Service in San Diego issued a red flag warning for the mountains and western valleys that took effect noon Tuesday and was canceled Wednesday afternoon. Strong Santa Ana winds had been expected overnight, but gusts stayed low, keeping the fire from spreading, fire officials said.

Late Tuesday, the agency urged residents to “be prepared to evacuate.”

“Those in/near evacuation areas, do not wait to be told to leave,” officials said. “Always evacuate if you do not feel safe, even if you are not in an evacuation area.”

Click on the link for the full article

8 minutes ago, DCSaints_fan said:

I'm right in middle of this ... feels like being on Mars.  Here's a pic a took just about an hour ago.  It doesn't look as bad from the ground but it still really weird.

i spent a grand total of about 20 minutes outside today and yesterday, and i feel like ive been chain smoking. getting to be unbearable

FOREST SERVICE TEMPORARILY CLOSES ALL NATIONAL FORESTS IN CALIFORNIA

CALIFORNIA – The Forest Service says all national forests in California are temporarily closed, effective at 5 p.m. Wednesday.

Due to unprecedented and historic fire conditions throughout the state, the USDA Forest Service Pacific Southwest Region is announcing an immediate temporary closure of an additional ten National Forests, meaning all eighteen National Forests in California are now closed.

The closure of the additional ten forests will be effective at 5 p.m. Sept. 9. These additional forests include the Eldorado National Forest, Klamath National Forest, Lassen National Forest, Mendocino National Forest, Modoc National Forest, Six Rivers National Forest, Plumas National Forest, Shasta-Trinity National Forest, Tahoe National Forest, and Lake Tahoe Basin Management Unit, according to the forest service.

39 minutes ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

California sounds like a pretty scary place to live in. Fires, earthquakes... nah, I’d rather deal with the occasional hurricane...

Fires this year in Cali broke record's. They're usually not that bad unless you live in the mountains or foothills. I worked in South Florida and experienced a hurricane,Gordon? Hurricanes are no joke.

Edited by GibbsGreen11
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

California sounds like a pretty scary place to live in. Fires, earthquakes... nah, I’d rather deal with the occasional hurricane....

no way. i mean this year is terrible with the fires, but its not normally THIS bad. those dry lightning storms that started most of the fires were like once in a generation storms. and if you dont live in the mountains or foothills, you just need to deal with the smoke for a few weeks. and earthquakes that are actually dangerous are extremely rare, and everything is retrofitted these days anyway.

on the other hand, hurricanes are getting stronger and stronger every year and do way more damage. i mean, 15 years later and there are neighborhoods in new orleans that are still uninhabitable.