Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Official 2018 Redskins Training Camp/Preseason Thread

TSO

Crowder back to form, that will help a lot.  I know it's hot, but if you can't get thru it, it's worth it.  They still didn't fix drainage system, I won't back to FA day unless they fix it or move it. Smell was back, too, at the rope line, we make too much money for that

7 minutes ago, JSSkinz said:

Both Moreau and Dunbar seem to be having strong camps so far.

Very intrigued to see how they play in pre season. I think if one or both step up our defense could be something.

Random thought of the day that occurred to me out of nowhere, but I really think there are a lot of parallels between us and the New Orleans Saints entering last season. If I recall, they had 3 7-9 seasons in a row while accumulating some monstrous passing stats but defense and running game weren’t the strongest and held them back. Enter a guy like Kamara who totally shifts their approach on offense and some highly impactful players on defense and all of a sudden they are contenders. 

Remains to be see what Guice and Payne bring to the table, but if Guice is the spark plug I think he will be I could see a similar thing occurring on offense for us. Especially with Smith in town now. If our front 7 stays healthy and plays even romtely close to the first 5-6 games last year when Allen was healthy then I think we’ll be a handful. We need to start hot this year and get some meaningful ball in during th preseason. 

2 minutes ago, HardcoreZorn said:

Very intrigued to see how they play in pre season. I think if one or both step up our defense could be something.

Jay had a Freudian slip during a presser the other day, he called Dunbar the starter and then quickly fixed what he said. 

4 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Yeah, but the real impact won’t be known until the new tv contracts are negotiated.  If at that point revenue is up, then it’s clear nobody really cares. If not, then people do care. 

The tv deals will be impacted by viewership numbers and the stations projected advertising revenue...

I can’t remember when the tv contracts are all up, but that’s going to be the biggest indicator of how healthy the nfl is....

FOX of everyone outbid for the worst game of the week, Thursday night just this year. Something like $500M annually for the next 5 years. I think that's on top of their Sunday deal and whatever superbowl they'll get. 

Whenever we hear people talking about viewership, they never mention TV ratings in general are down. People are streaming video more. The whole dynamic is changing. They'll have games on social media soon. 

4 hours ago, MartinC said:

The Thursday night package was recontracted a few months ago. The NFL got an increase on the previous deal. $3.3 billion dollars over 5 years from Fox.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/fox-sports-gives-nfl-3-3-billion-for-thursday-night-football-package-over-five-years/amp/

⬆️

54 minutes ago, HardcoreZorn said:

Random thought of the day that occurred to me out of nowhere, but I really think there are a lot of parallels between us and the New Orleans Saints entering last season. If I recall, they had 3 7-9 seasons in a row while accumulating some monstrous passing stats but defense and running game weren’t the strongest and held them back. Enter a guy like Kamara who totally shifts their approach on offense and some highly impactful players on defense and all of a sudden they are contenders. 

Remains to be see what Guice and Payne bring to the table, but if Guice is the spark plug I think he will be I could see a similar thing occurring on offense for us. Especially with Smith in town now. If our front 7 stays healthy and plays even romtely close to the first 5-6 games last year when Allen was healthy then I think we’ll be a handful. We need to start hot this year and get some meaningful ball in during th preseason. 

I was a big Kamara guy two drafts ago.  Dalvin Cook, too.  I took Kamara on the board's mock draft that we did that year. Having said that I am bigger on Guice then either Kamara or Cook.  I think the dude will be Elliot style elite.  Having said that, you never know until it plays out.

I know from other posts you think the roster is more loaded than I do.  But if you break it down the only key difference I may have with you is I think the missing ingredient here is elite offensive weapons.  I think most of the really good teams have more of them than we do.   But I think the depth can compete with any team.  That's why to me the whole season -- optimism-pessimism is predicated by are Chris Thompson-Jordan's Reed's healthy.  Both guys could be elite if healthy.  If they aren't healthy -- I don't know what happens with this team.  Can Guice carry the team regardless?  Maybe.  

As for the defense, I've just seen the rap too many times that they have it figured out to buy in until I see it play out.  But I am open to it going down well.  I recall like yesterday when Shanny said they had a top 5 defense when healthy -- that was the start when I started becoming a Shanny critic.

While I am unsure if Payne was the right pick considering who else was available -- got little doubt that he's an upgrade versus most of the guys on the D line we got now -- so hopefully he gets healthy fast.

Is McGee out officially for the season?  I listened to a recent Jay interview where he talked D line and didn't even mention McGee.

3 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I think the dude will be Elliot style elite.  Having said that, you never know until it plays out.

I know from other posts you think the roster is more loaded than I do.  But if you break it down the only key difference I may have with you is I think the missing ingredient here is elite offensive weapons.  .

"Elliot" style elite yet you don't have contender expectations?? If he's  90%Elliot style elite I need to call DIRECTV now and not fool with streams so I can watch this season with the works.

24 minutes ago, TheShredSkinz said:

"Elliot" style elite yet you don't have contender expectations?? If he's  90%Elliot style elite I need to call DIRECTV now and not fool with streams so I can watch this season with the works.

If he is what I think he is like I said -- then they got an elite talent.  But heck we can't bank on it until it plays out.  :)   I've said on other threads both 11-5 and 7-9 IMO are equally plausible.   Could this team again have a killer schedule accompanied by a killer injuries just like 2017?  Sadly, sure why not?  Injury prone players tend to stay injury prone and the schedule right now looks as tough as last year. 

I think luck will be a big factor.    I thinks its pretty wild all the national predictions -- we are either a sleeper contender or one of the worst teams in the NFL depending on the source -- I saw some periodical picked us to go 2-14 today -- that's wild, i think it was the Sporting News.  I think the Redskins being one of the bottom dregs of the NFL which seems to be the thoughts of Vegas and some pundits -- seems to be insane.  However, could this team be mediocre again?  Sure, why not.  I hope not, though. 

To me the thing is about this team is IMO Jordan Reed is the guy that really amps up the offense and he is so unpredictable as to his health and that in turn adds a wildcard element to the team.  For example if Beckham was hit and miss healthy for the Giants every year -- it would be the Giants a hard team to get a handle on because they are an entirely different team with versus without him. 

As for the defense.  I made this point in other threads which is IMO we need to see it play out.  I notice for example plenty of skepticism here about the Giants O line in spite of their heavy handed off season upgrades as to that position.  The default position is the Giants O line stinks until we see otherwise.   So on the same token, why wouldn't some be skeptical about the Redskins D line based on past performance -- regardless of off season upgrades?  Just using the Giants as an example because its the easiest apples to apples analogy that hits me.

I suspect the Redskins defense will be better.  But I'd like to see it before counting my chickens.  I got the most faith in Guice of all the off season upgrades being the dude that turns around a struggling unit. 

10 minutes ago, Playaction2Sanders said:

Haven't hear much about this kid. ball hawk outta southern. Seems like a chill guy. I'll have to look out for him more..

Yea he started out as a longshot, but he's making a strong case as several people have said he's looked better than Stroman.

There's definitely a logjam at CB

4 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

.....I think the missing ingredient here is elite offensive weapons.  I think most of the really good teams have more of them than we do.....

Yeah man, I agree. I dont feel good going into the season with Doctson being our #1 WR. Hoping that I'm proven wrong. Want us to have that stud top 10 in the league WR. I feel good about the rest of our offense though, WRs included. Just that #1 WR worries me. We can make it work regardless. 

42 minutes ago, bakedtater1 said:

I absolutely love seening the chitlens out n about in training camp..To the future..raise whatever ur drinking..to the future..right on go skins!!

Facts........Wu-Tang is for the children.......

Archived