Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Official 2018 Redskins Training Camp/Preseason Thread

TSO

I was just going though different radio segments and thinking what are the things that is hard to get a handle on because of mixed reports.

Ryan Anderson -- some saying he has had a good camp, some saying he hasn't shown much at all especially as to pass rush

Apke -- its mostly been down as to how he looks from reports, though some said he has improved in some practices.  I haven't really given an opinion on Apke, am OK with the lets see it play out crowd.  I though disagree with the Nicholson comparison as if draft geeks were apples to apples on both.  Yeah there were draft geeks that were definitely very down on Nicholson, I recall in particular the he looks like Tarzan but plays like Jane comment.  But I also recall multiple draft geeks big time sold on him because I recall the segments on 980.  I don't recall any draft geek in love with Apke.  Not that it matters.  But just saying the sentiment on Nicholson was a little different than Apke.

McPhee -- I liked the signing, still do.  But he gets hardly any mentions so I wonder why?  Maybe it means nothing.

Kelley -- Its hard to not miss multiple beat guys suggest Kelley shouldn't make the roster but he will probably make it anyway.

Moreau -- some say had a great camp, some think he will struggle early

As for the draft picks -- guys who mostly looked good according to the beat guys:  Payne, Settle, Hamilton.  Not so much:  Apke, Christian.  Somewhere in between but more good:  Quinn

I don't take the beat guys opinions that seriously aside from I am gathering their opinion is formed in part by talking to sources with the team.

4 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I don't take the beat guys opinions that seriously aside from I am gathering their opinion is formed in part by talking to sources with the team.

This is where I stand... hanging out at the hospital all day doesn't make someone a doctor... but they probably have a good idea who is sick or not.  

13 minutes ago, OVCChairman said:

This is where I stand... hanging out at the hospital all day doesn't make someone a doctor... but they probably have a good idea who is sick or not.  

And to their credit they typically will say they are hearing it from team officials.  the question is which team officials.  Keim seems really plugged in so I trust him the most.

Just now, Skinsinparadise said:

And to their credit they typically with say they are hearing it from team officials.  the question is which team officials.  Keim seems really plugged in so I trust him the most.

Yeah I like most of them.  I listen to 106.7 a lot so Hoffman is one I hear from a lot, same with Michael Phillips

5 minutes ago, OVCChairman said:

Yeah I like most of them.  I listen to 106.7 a lot so Hoffman is one I hear from a lot, same with Michael Phillips

Yeah Phillips to me is one of the least plugged in.  Hoffman seems to be working his way into good sources -- he was really good with inside stuff on the draft.  He's said he chats with some of the Redskins scouts.  

Keim is plugged in and also somewhat reluctant to take shots at players so when for example he suggests they are going to keep Robertson and throws in the mix they might need him because they haven't seen much pass rush from Ryan Anderson -- am presuming he got that from a good source since he doesn't like to just throw things against the wall.

18 minutes ago, skinsfan212689 said:

Questions: Can someone let me know if there is a realistic package we could present to Oakland in trading us K Mack. He’s and instant difference maker and he’s only 27. 

Guessing our 2019 first would be a must and maybe Ryan Anderson and a starter. Thoughts?

Hail

What you're offering would be fair market value, maybe even above. Oakland is in a pinch right now, so if we propose an offer it should be below FMV. 

Preston Smith or Ryan Anderson and mid-round pick would be my offer, I wouldn't give up a 1st for him. I'd prefer to just re-sign Smith to a LTD and retain the draft pick being that we will need it.

1 hour ago, skinsfan212689 said:

Questions: Can someone let me know if there is a realistic package we could present to Oakland in trading us K Mack. He’s and instant difference maker and he’s only 27. 

Guessing our 2019 first would be a must and maybe Ryan Anderson and a starter. Thoughts?

Hail

I don't think the hard part would be what goes to Oakland... it would be the deal you'd have to give Mack for him to agree to sign an extension.  He wants to re-set the market... he wants franchise QB money.  Him and Donald are trying to take what we thought was market value for a D-lineman, and change the entire scope of possibilities.  

I don't see the problem with it....probably just gets guys pumped up while practicing. Mabye they practice harder...kind of like music in the gym?

At the same time Im singin to myself "My name is willie....willie beaman. I keep the ladies...keep em creamin"

Some more players who have had mixed or no reviews that I would like to know more about.

Nicholson - Heard through the first 2 weeks of camp he was getting burned on the regular and since then I haven't heard anything.

Sprinkle - In the first weeks of camp I heard good things, that his blocking had improved and he was actually becoming a bigger part of the passing game, haven't heard anything in the last 2 weeks.

Josh Norman - Haven't heard anything about him besides he looks fine, maybe its that simple but I'm surprised Jay hasn't elaborated a bit more on Josh's preseason so far.  I did hear Jay take a shot at Josh for always being on Twitter while at practice.

5 hours ago, skinsfan212689 said:

Hail

Our only hope would be if Jon Gruden wants to do a favor for Jay Gruden.

I’d hold onto the 1st and instead push something like non essential players and mutliple non-1st round picks. 

Mack is awesome but I’d hold pat and keep those 1st round picks. If this scenario is even an option.

3 hours ago, JSSkinz said:

Some more players who have had mixed or no reviews that I would like to know more about.

Nicholson - Heard through the first 2 weeks of camp he was getting burned on the regular and since then I haven't heard anything.

Sprinkle - In the first weeks of camp I heard good things, that his blocking had improved and he was actually becoming a bigger part of the passing game, haven't heard anything in the last 2 weeks.

I personally think Sprinkle is a wasted pick. He won’t scratch the surface with Reed and Davis here. Even if they were gone, he just seems like a career backup, but I could be wrong. Reminds me of a Robert Royal type.

As for Nicholson, way overhyped. He played half the games? Maybe really flashed only twice in those 7 games and people blew their load. 

50 minutes ago, Wildbunny said:

One unexpected guy seemingly rising lately: JP Holz. His ability to play TE/FB and ST, plus the signing of Peterson can make him a 53 candidate...

I thought it was interesting that we opened out of the I-Formation on Friday with No. 82 at Fullback (I must admit that I didn't know who he was).

He came in a few more times at FB in the first quarter and made an excellent block on that 4th and inches that AP converted.

57 minutes ago, Wildbunny said:

One unexpected guy seemingly rising lately: JP Holz. His ability to play TE/FB and ST, plus the signing of Peterson can make him a 53 candidate...

Yeah, though (as I’m sure you read)... 

“I think we have enough runs out of our 11-personnel, Tiger, 12-personnel, that we may not need it, but if we do want a couple, we might be able to cross train somebody on our roster and we’ll figure it out later." - Gruden

7 hours ago, carex said:

that's what free agency and the draft is for.  Even if they go for a high quality Norman esque CB in free agency the fact is he'll be at the start of his contract vs the end

The Skins should go into next year, if all goes well, needing an LG, an edge rusher, a CB and maybe the QB of the future.  That is not a bad list

Definitely, I was more referring to him being here at that cost this year not so much next year and beyond.

47 minutes ago, dyst said:

I personally think Sprinkle is a wasted pick. He won’t scratch the surface with Reed and Davis here. Even if they were gone, he just seems like a career backup, but I could be wrong. 

So now 5th rd picks are a waste if they don't become starters?  I guess all the backups and STers should come from UDFAs...

1 minute ago, GhostofAlvinWalton said:

So now 5th rd picks are a waste if they don't become starters?  I guess all the backups and STers should come from UDFAs...

When you draft a guy who at best is a JAG, at a position that isn’t of need and that player probably won’t even see the field because he is 3rd on the depth chart...yes seems like a waste. 

Talent finds a way onto the field. Talented guys don’t just sit on the bench. Its his second year so things could change but I’m not sure yet.

Archived