Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

SCOTUS: No longer content with stacking, they're now dealing from the bottom of the deck

Burgold

12 hours ago, tshile said:

Lol 18 year term limit. 

that seems like a lot. I would have thought 8-10 was way closer to reasonable. I could easily agree to 6. 18 😂 

A 6 year term means every single two-term President gets to appoint the entire USSC.  Some of them twice.  

12-16 year term limits would probably be ok. I still agree with ol George Carlin for the most part on term limits tho 

Term limits ain't going to do any good; you're just going to end up with a brand new bunch of selfish, ignorant Americans. So, maybe, maybe, maybe, it's not the politicians who suck. Maybe something else sucks around here... like, the public.

• Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

The Public is like rice.  Kinda nothing on its own.  It gets its flavor from whatever it's mixed with.  "The Public" is basically just the human condition.  And they're conditioned to do whatever whomever in power manipulates them into doing with all of the tools of mass manipulation at hand for the ultra rich.

If someone dumps a bucket of Scorpions on me, do I blame the scorpions for stinging me, or the piece of **** that dumped them on me?

Edited by PokerPacker
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, PokerPacker said:

If someone dumps a bucket of Scorpions on me, do I blame the scorpions for stinging me, or the piece of **** that dumped them on me?

Well you were walking around late at night in that seedy scorpion bucket part of town dressed like you wanted to have a bucket dumped on you...really its your fault.

• Haha 3
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, Jabbyrwock said:

Well you were walking around late at night in that seedy scorpion bucket part of town dressed like you wanted to have a bucket dumped on you...really its your fault.

Could you please inform me how a person that wishes to have scorpions dumped on them dresses?  It would be most helpful for me in the future.

I know this is probably rude to say.  The implication I get from Clearance Thomas is that one has to question if he was always bought and paid for by the right-wing. And if he was bought and paid for, who else did they buy ** ahem ** someone had a certain debt paid off (Kavanaugh), someone seems way too politically sensitive/motivated (Alito).  Even looking way into the past -- people who can influence how a certain election was moved (O'Connor, 2000).

How do we know the right wing elite/wealthy haven't corrupted Federal Judiciary up and down the line?  

Everyone can say "Thomas always had a unique view in his jurisprudence" -- but this scandal makes me question not just Thomas but everyone else on the right.  Is it wrong to think that Kennedy resigning suddenly wasn't bought off as well?  

Everyone can say "they only care about the Supreme Court" - but the response from the Court on this is also weak and galling.

• Thumb up 1

On 7/7/2023 at 7:57 PM, PokerPacker said:

The Public is like rice.  Kinda nothing on its own.  It gets its flavor from whatever it's mixed with.  "The Public" is basically just the human condition.  And they're conditioned to do whatever whomever in power manipulates them into doing with all of the tools of mass manipulation at hand for the ultra rich.

In your scenario, I take a purely logical, scientific approach and  promptly stomp the scorpions to mush and then calmly shoot, or terminally cut, the person who dumped them on me.

Then, as a responsible citizen, I call the authorities to report the occurrence.

But I'm only calling it in cuz I'm white.

• Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...

Why Senate Dems want to force a doomed vote on Supreme Court ethics

Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer (D-N.Y.) has yet to say how he’ll approach his party’s Supreme Court ethics legislation — a historic bid to check the high court after reports of ethically questionable behavior among its justices. But lawmakers in his Senate Democratic caucus are eager to put their Republican colleagues on the record with a floor vote.

Washington is betting that the proposal won’t go further than the Judiciary Committee, which cleared it along party lines Thursday. Any action beyond that would be a waste of time, the thinking goes, since it’s all but guaranteed to be filibustered and would be dead on arrival in the GOP-controlled House. But in interviews with your Huddle host, a dozen of Schumer’s Democrats challenged that conventional wisdom. They said they’re itching to force Republicans to reject the ethics measure — and pay the political price of that vote. Schumer sounds interested in pressing the matter, too.

“The American people deserve to have all members of the judiciary … accountable to some kind of ethical standards,” Sen. Richard Blumenthal (D-Conn.) said in an interview. “And anybody who disagrees with that proposition should be held accountable” themselves.

Click on the link for the full article

• Thumb up 1