Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

SCOTUS: No longer content with stacking, they're now dealing from the bottom of the deck

Burgold

41 minutes ago, nonniey said:

So it's got to the point on this board that several posters here use and defend the radical or alt-left huh? Because there is no real disputing that is what Amy Goodman and Democracy are. 

I'll be honest, I haven't heard of criticism regarding Democracy Now that would rank them as radical or alt-left (I'm not that familiar with them in general).  What I could find on the net seems to be centered on their recent Syria coverage.  Could you share some examples of the egregious coverage by Democracy Now?

Goodman has received dozens[50] of awards for her work, including the Robert F. Kennedy Prize for International Reporting (1993, with Allan Nairn)[51] and the George Polk Award (1998, with Jeremy Scahill).[52] In 1999, she declined to accept the Overseas Press Club Award, in protest of the group's pledge not to ask questions of keynote speaker Ambassador Richard Holbrooke and because the OPC was honoring Indonesia for their improved treatment of journalists despite the fact that its forces had recently beaten and killed reporters in occupied East Timor.[53]

On October 2, 2004, Goodman was presented the Islamic Community Award for Journalism by the Council on American-Islamic Relations.[54] On November 18, 2004, she was presented the Thomas Merton Award.[55] In 2006 she received the Puffin/Nation Prize for Creative Citizenship.[56]

Goodman was a recipient of the 2008 Right Livelihood Award. The Right Livelihood Award Foundation cited her work in "developing an innovative model of truly independent grassroots political journalism that brings to millions of people the alternative voices that are often excluded by the mainstream media".[57]

On March 31, 2009, Goodman was the recipient, along with Glenn Greenwald, of the first Izzy Award (named after journalist I. F. "Izzy" Stone) for "special achievement in independent media". The award is presented by Ithaca College's Park Center for Independent Media.[58]

In May 2012, Goodman received an honorary Doctor of Letters degree from DePauw University in recognition of her journalistic work.[59]She also received the Gandhi Peace Award from Promoting Enduring Peace, for a "significant contribution to the promotion of an enduring international peace".[60][61]

On May 16, 2014, Goodman received an honorary Doctor of Letters degree from Purchase College, SUNY in recognition of her progressive journalism.

In February 2015, Goodman (along with Laura Poitras) received the 2014 I.F. Stone Lifetime Achievement Award from the Nieman Foundation for Journalism at Harvard.[62]

Many similarities to the esteemed Mr. Jones.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Fresh8686 said:

Nope, no one said anything to me. It's a waste of my time to argue with people who are intellectually dishonest. So I policed myself and kept my review of your mental faculties to the back pages of my mental space :)

Oh so put them on page 2 huh?:)

Edited by nonniey

Dude, I'll play. Which current headline on Democracy Now (or give us a podcast link or whatever) gives you the willies? Is it because Big Bad Noam gets some love there? I'm legitimately curious, because it's such a preposterous comparison. There are plenty of lefty loons out there, but I'm not sure you're looking in the right place for them.

All of this started because I said I MIGHT HAVE seen a piece on some scary **** that the Kochs bros are up to on Democracy Now. 

What y'all need to be doing is finding the article...it may have been Vice News...I can't remember. 

But Amy Goodman is a heroine of mine, for the record. ?‍♀️✌

Edited by skinsmarydu

5 minutes ago, twa said:

so will he be confirmed early or just before the election?

Unless public sentiments turn in his favor, I'd imagine mid-late September to early October.  If public starts liking him, they may want to make it closer to the mid terms to make it a campaign issue.

4 hours ago, JCB said:

Dude, I'll play. Which current headline on Democracy Now (or give us a podcast link or whatever) gives you the willies? Is it because Big Bad Noam gets some love there? I'm legitimately curious, because it's such a preposterous comparison. There are plenty of lefty loons out there, but I'm not sure you're looking in the right place for them.

Ok you already brought up Noam (Which really should be enough all by itself). Others given a lot love there - Sean Penn, Danny Glover, Susan Sarandon, Jill Stein and the Green Party in this country,  Maduro, Chavez, the Castro's, Hama's, Hezbollah,, Marxist parties in other counties etc, etc etc. 

- Those who the show thinks of as evil incarnate - the United States Military, Defense Industries, Energy Industries, Banking, (heck the entire Capitalist system) all Republicans, many (most?) Democrats (Clintons included) etc etc etc., 

Edited by nonniey

12 minutes ago, Sacks 'n' Stuff said:

Factual reporting with left wing bias is not the same as conspiratorial nonsense and tabloid pseudoscience.

We’d be wise to avoid both but it’s a dumb comparison. 

Well it was a reference to Koch conspiratorial nonsense that scared a poster  that kicked this off.