Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

SCOTUS: No longer content with stacking, they're now dealing from the bottom of the deck

Burgold

23 minutes ago, Kilmer17 said:

I don’t think the two things are remotely related.  And I certainly don’t think any sane individual could conclude that he lied about anything in his testimony. 

He says he was not and is not involved in "questions about the rules governing detention of combatant" and it's later revealed the he was ia meeting about whether some of those rules would survive a SCOTUS challenge.  You don't think any reasonable person could see that as a lie?

10 minutes ago, bearrock said:

He says he was not and is not involved in "questions about the rules governing detention of combatant" and it's later revealed the he was ia meeting about whether some of those rules would survive a SCOTUS challenge.  You don't think any reasonable person could see that as a lie?

need the context of the question to see if he took the question to mean the detainment issue vs a  right to representation issue.

the two are not one, though they can be conflated

1 hour ago, bearrock said:

No.  I think partisan hacks see that as a way to fan the flames and try to delay the inevitable.

5 minutes ago, Kilmer17 said:

No.  I think partisan hacks see that as a way to fan the flames and try to delay the inevitable.

sometimes it works...see Estrada. 

of course things are a bit different this round.

2 minutes ago, twa said:

sometimes it works...see Estrada. 

of course things are a bit different this round.

I get it.  Politics is bloodsport.  And the Court is the grand prize.  I just get annoyed when people pretend to be opposed to a person for righteous reasons when its clear it's just partisan bs.

1 hour ago, Kilmer17 said:

I get it.  Politics is bloodsport.  And the Court is the grand prize.  I just get annoyed when people pretend to be opposed to a person for righteous reasons when its clear it's just partisan bs.

Not everyone views politics through Machiavellian lens and there are genuinely nominees who have no business being on the Supreme Court like Robert Bork.  And it is a big deal to mislead or lie during your senate confirmation hearing.  There is a gulf of difference between I forgot about that brief pop in meeting where I opined about how my former boss would view right to representation for combatants and I participated in a high level meeting discussing how to defend the rules regarding combatants and still claimed I had nothing to do with any questions regarding the issue.

You want to view everything politics with absolute cynicism and say there no morality or principles involved, that's up to you.  As you watch the continuing deterioration of American politics and start blaming everyone in sight, you are probably better off looking in the mirror.

18 minutes ago, bearrock said:

Not everyone views politics through Machiavellian lens and there are genuinely nominees who have no business being on the Supreme Court like Robert Bork.  And it is a big deal to mislead or lie during your senate confirmation hearing.  There is a gulf of difference between I forgot about that brief pop in meeting where I opined about how my former boss would view right to representation for combatants and I participated in a high level meeting discussing how to defend the rules regarding combatants and still claimed I had nothing to do with any questions regarding the issue.

You want to view everything politics with absolute cynicism and say there no morality or principles involved, that's up to you.  As you watch the continuing deterioration of American politics and start blaming everyone in sight, you are probably better off looking in the mirror.

My mirror shows exactly what I am.  And I don’t pretend to be anything more.  Others should try that.  It would require dropping the constant faux outrage and left wing derangement syndrome.  So it probably won’t occur. 

Bork was quailfied. And voted down for partisan reasons.  Completely legal for the Senate to act that way.  But that set this ship down the river. 

Kavanaugh is being opposed because the left wing is butt hurt over a variety of things.  The most prominent is that Trump won and that the GOP refused to allow a vote on Garland. Which was also completely legal. 

Bt sure. It’s my mirror that needs face time 

Edited by Kilmer17

11 minutes ago, Kilmer17 said:

Bork was quailfied. And voted down for partisan reasons.  Completely legal for the Senate to act that way.  But that set this ship down the river. 

Kavanaugh is being opposed because the left wing is butt hurt over a variety of things.  The most prominent is that Trump won and that the GOP refused to allow a vote on Garland. Which was also completely legal. 

If you view Bork as qualified after his role in the Saturday Night Massacre, has there ever been a Supreme Court nominee that has been unqualified in your view?  Voting down a nominee who kowtowed to Nixon is not partisanship.  That doesn't even start with Bork's hostility to the Court's prior civil rights decisions.

Many liberals will oppose conservative nominees because they think the nominee will make bad ruling on the bench.  Some may also oppose originalist because they view the judicial philosophy as a farce.  It would be partisan show if liberals would support nominee A if nominated by Obama but oppose if nominated by Trump.  Kavanaugh would be opposed by the liberals even if all the founding fathers came back from the grave to annoint the nomination. Not because he's wearing the wrong colored jersey, but because he's gonna make horrifyingly bad and wrong decisions on the bench.

Interesting

Taylor Foy, a spokesperson for Grassley, noted that Democrats rejected conducting a "targeted search" of Kavanaugh's staff secretary records for terrorism-related issues. 

"Instead, they politicized this process by demanding the search of every scrap of White House paper of the hundreds of aides who came and went for the entire Bush presidency, with the obvious intent of delaying the confirmation vote past the mid-term elections," he said. 

http://thehill.com/homenews/senate/402300-democrats-question-if-kavanaugh-lied-about-work-on-terrorism-policy

Odd they would do that if they believed he lied about terrorism issues

3 hours ago, twa said:

Interesting

Odd they would do that if they believed he lied about terrorism issues

It would be hard to judge without knowing the details of the proposed "targeted search".  But even so, we don't know that terrorism issue is the only issue where Kavanaugh may have mislead or lied to the senate.  We won't know what concerns lie in the staff secretary records until we see everything.  That the records are voluminous is all the more reason for Grassley to move quickly, not sit on it.

Edited by bearrock

The only point, stop talking about the Clintons and the 90s. We talking today and we talking about a conservative who said it, not Democrat a Liberal.

Its not like Reagan's white house wasnt mired in criminal scandals yet his judges were confirmed. (and they were confirmed by Democrats)

None of that is relevant. This isn't point scoring.

We ignores the post above yours, among others.

Perhaps if you start a thread about your conservative ya might have a point.

You don't think congresscritters actions while a POTUS was charged and facing impeachment relevant?....especially those taking a different view now?

I must be old, doesn't seem that long ago.

19 minutes ago, The Evil Genius said:

Schumer? He didn't become a Senator until 1999. Breyer was confirmed in 1994.

The Dem senators if you wish, though i think he was elected in 98

they voted to confirm many judges in that period, including Sotomayer to the 2nd.