Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

SCOTUS: No longer content with stacking, they're now dealing from the bottom of the deck

Burgold

7 hours ago, tshile said:

Elections have consequences

This could be interpreted in a few different ways if we’re talking about 2016....

I’m not at all sure he will be confirmed any more.  Momentum seems to have swung against him, and there are lots of documents and decisions to go through.

Edited by visionary

18 hours ago, visionary said:

.....  Momentum seems to have swung against him,.....

Only for those within the bubble. Nothing significant (or even minor) or unexpected has occurred that would derail his nomination.

Edited by nonniey

14 minutes ago, Kilmer17 said:

Shes right.  Her request is beyond any previous record request for any nominee.

I'm not sure how relevant the staff secretary records will be, but why is it off limits? GOP agrees that his WH counsel records are fair game.  What's so wrong with wanting to look at staff secretary records?  If it's not relevant, then no real harm done.  I would prefer they err on the side of being thorough.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bearrock said:

I'm not sure how relevant the staff secretary records will be, but why is it off limits? GOP agrees that his WH counsel records are fair game.  What's so wrong with wanting to look at staff secretary records?  If it's not relevant, then no real harm done.  I would prefer they err on the side of being thorough.

I hear the press has requested his wife's e-mails as well.

20 minutes ago, Kilmer17 said:

Shes right.  Her request is beyond any previous record request for any nominee.

Even Estrada?

1 hour ago, Kilmer17 said:

It's a thinly veiled attempt to run out the clock.  

Next Congress doesn't take office until January.  Dems could only run out the clock if GOP is stupid enough to let them.  Supposed concern of docs from 3 years of staff secretary tacking on enough time to run out 5 months is a real stretch.  

Merrick Garland is still waiting for the GOP to go through his papers...

Saw that the Notorious RBG said she has at least 5 more years in her for SCOTUS. I'd bet it gets shorter if the Dems take back power in the WH and part of Congress in 2020.

Edited by The Evil Genius

6 hours ago, The Evil Genius said:

Merrick Garland is still waiting for the GOP to go through his papers...

Saw that the Notorious RBG said she has at least 5 more years in her for SCOTUS. I'd bet it gets shorter if the Dems take back power in the WH and part of Congress in 2020.

Probably true.  She definitely has a finger on the pulse of the political winds.  

I think we’ll see Thomas retire before 2020 if the GOP holds the Senate 

as for Garland, I’m glad to see the left embrace the guerilla tactics for the Court.  They should definitely try to garland Kavanagh. 

16 minutes ago, Kilmer17 said:

as for Garland, I’m glad to see the left embrace the guerilla tactics for the Court.  They should definitely try to garland Kavanagh. 

Yeah, asking for the nominee's work product from his days in the White House is the same as sitting on the nomination without any action for 10 months.  :rolleyes:

6 minutes ago, bearrock said:

Yeah, asking for the nominee's work product from his days in the White House is the same as sitting on the nomination without any action for 10 months.  :rolleyes:

Yeah it is more like Estrada.....how many years did the Dems drag that one out over documents?

1 minute ago, twa said:

Yeah it is more like Estrada.....how many years did the Dems drag that one out over documents?

Blocking Estrada was wrong on many levels.  But asking for docs isn't the same as filibustering for two plus years.  Not that either side could do it anymore, but situations like prolonged filibustering of Estrada shows exactly why filibuster is inappropriate for the Senate's advise and consent duties to an executive nomination.  All of the President's nominations deserve an up or down vote.  But the process leading up to the nomination should be thorough.

Supreme Court nominee Brett Kavanaugh has privately told senators he views the appointment of a special counsel by the Justice Department as appropriate, a comment that could shed new light about his views of Robert Mueller's investigation into Donald Trump's presidential campaign, according to sources familiar with the meetings.

But Kavanaugh has also stood by his stated views that question whether a sitting US president can be indicted on criminal charges, instead saying Congress should play the lead role in impeaching and removing a president -- and also enact a law ensuring a president can be indicted after leaving office.

The comments, which multiple sources said were relayed to senators as he's made the rounds on Capitol Hill, give a glimpse into how Kavanaugh is carefully handling questions about his views on executive power at a time when Trump and his associates face growing legal pressure from the Mueller probe. The sources say the nominee is careful not to tip his hand on his views of the Mueller investigation's constitutionality, given that he could rule on matters stemming from the probe, leaving ample questions about his views.

Edited by visionary