Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2018 - 19 Stanley Cup Champion Washington Capitals Thread

ixcuincle

The Capitals playing a home game in the afternoon of Super Bowl Sunday is almost as traditional as the Lions playing at home on Thanksgiving 

Don't know the first year the Capitals played on Super Bowl Sunday but do remember attending the games at Capital Centre and trying to get back in time for kickoff 

1 hour ago, c slag said:

The Capitals playing a home game in the afternoon of Super Bowl Sunday is almost as traditional as the Lions playing at home on Thanksgiving 

Don't know the first year the Capitals played on Super Bowl Sunday but do remember attending the games at Capital Centre and trying to get back in time for kickoff 

Maybe Ted requests these games as way of sticking it to Snyder, since he knows the Redskins will never be playing that Sunday.

He should take it one step further and get the NHL to intentionally schedule a home game a Sunday in the fall, when the Redskins are also playing at home.   Would love to see the media circus over that.

13 hours ago, c slag said:

I remember it as far back as 1988. The Caps beat the Flyers that day. I believe Kelly Miller had the game winning goal in OT. I don't know if they played in the years before that, and I don't know if they have played every year since. But I remember that win since it was the pre-cursor to the Redskins destroying the Broncos later that night. 

Enjoy Holtby for the next season and a half...

Capitals sign backup goalie Pheonix Copley to $3.3M, 3-year deal

ARLINGTON, Va. -- The Washington Capitals have signed backup goaltender Pheonix Copley to a $3.3 million, three-year extension.

Copley will count $1.1 million against the salary cap in each of the next three seasons. General manager Brian MacLellan announced the contract Monday.

Signing Copley through the 2021-22 season raises questions about the defending Stanley Cup champion's goaltending plans. Starter Braden Holtby is signed only through the end of next season, and Washington has top goaltending prospect Ilya Samsonov and 2014 second-round pick Vitek Vanecek in the system.

Copley has exceeded expectations in his first season as a full-time NHL backup, going 10-5-3 with a 2.98 goals-against average and .903 save percentage. The 27-year-old native from North Pole, Alaska, came into the year with a 4.32 GAA and .829 save percentage in two games with the St. Louis Blues.

On 2/3/2019 at 12:27 AM, Redskin4ever said:

I remember it as far back as 1988. The Caps beat the Flyers that day. I believe Kelly Miller had the game winning goal in OT. I don't know if they played in the years before that, and I don't know if they have played every year since. But I remember that win since it was the pre-cursor to the Redskins destroying the Broncos later that night. 

And in '92 the Caps beat the Pens in a great game that featured the entire Pittsburgh first line getting kicked out (Maria, Jagr, Stevens), and we all know what happened later that night.

1 hour ago, Popeman38 said:

I don't see how the Copley extension signals anything for the future of Holtby or Samsonov.  They locked up what seems to be a very capable backup goalie for a typical backup goalie salary.  No reason they won't later be able to move Pheonix and his small contract if needed.

8 hours ago, Popeman38 said:

I don't think the Copley contract has anything to do with Holtby. It may even make Copley a better trade chip cause he's signed to very little for a few years. 

8 hours ago, Hersh said:

I don't think the Copley contract has anything to do with Holtby. It may even make Copley a better trade chip cause he's signed to very little for a few years. 

The expansion draft for Seattle is in a couple years, and Holtby will be 32 entering UFA. With Samsonov and Vanecek at Hershey, and Copley in DC, does it make sense to hitch your wagon to a 32 year old tender?

Archived