Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2018 - 19 Stanley Cup Champion Washington Capitals Thread

ixcuincle

Just now, SkinsFanRob said:

That’s what we get for letting him walk. We deserve this. 

Caps are in a rut but should be fine but Trotz may be coach of the year again.

Just now, zskins said:

He was way out of the goal crease and too much space between him and the net.

That’s what a goalie is suppose to do in order to cut down shot angles. If a goalie stayed closer to the line they would be picked apart by shooters.

6 minutes ago, Hersh said:

That’s what a goalie is suppose to do in order to cut down shot angles. If a goalie stayed closer to the line they would be picked apart by shooters.

True but It seemed like too much space and was thinking they can wrap around him for an easy shot. I will look at the replay again. 

3 minutes ago, zskins said:

True but It seemed like too much space and was thinking they can wrap around him for an easy shot. I will look at the replay again. 

None of the goals are in Holtby tonight. The guys in front of him haven’t been very good 

Good for Trotz. 

Caps need the all-star break. 

The Islanders stifled us and wore us down last night, the way we did many times over the years under Trotz. It's an effective style. The Islanders had a lot to play for, with Trotz's return and the possibility of moving into first place. They played hard and earned a victory. What's concerning as a Caps fan is how ineffective and indifferent our team has been over the past 6 weeks. The last two have been extremely concerning. Obviously, this loss is highlighted and accentuated by Trotz's return, but his team was ready to play. Ours wasn't. 

21 minutes ago, Hersh said:

Why did they stop playing 8-92-43 on a line?

Eller has 6 points in his last 22 games so let’s get him more playing time over Kuzy. Yeah, okay. Caps better make it further than the Islanders this season. 

I thought the same thing... that Ovi / Kuzy / Wilson line is a force, and with Backstrom on the 2nd it trickles down. 

13 minutes ago, Springfield said:

Is Djoos injured?

10 minutes ago, Springfield said:

I proposed Ovie Kuzy and Wilson over on HF and got shouted down by people complaining that Kuzy plays lazy hockey, can’t take faceoffs and sucks in the defensive zone... so I guess he sucks now?

Isn't that the line that we basically ran the 2nd half of last season?

4 minutes ago, OVCChairman said:

Isn't that the line that we basically ran the 2nd half of last season?

It was the one that won the Stanley Cup for sure.  Then Backstrom Vrana Oshie, Eller Connolly Burakovsky, Beagle, DSP, Stephenson... if my memory serves me.

Changing up the lines may spark something but I don’t think that Ovie/Backstrom has worked for a LONG time.  I feel like Ovie likes playing with Backy and that’s why they’re on a line together.  I sure hope that the inmates aren’t running the asylum in this case, cause that means that the coach is already compromised.

I also think that Oshie and Kuzy have sustained multiple concussions this season, which may account for their lack of physicality.  I’m just projecting at this point.

Something is wrong though, for sure.

1 minute ago, Springfield said:

It was the one that won the Stanley Cup for sure.  Then Backstrom Vrana Oshie, Eller Connolly Burakovsky, Beagle, DSP, Stephenson... if my memory serves me.

Changing up the lines may spark something but I don’t think that Ovie/Backstrom has worked for a LONG time.  I feel like Ovie likes playing with Backy and that’s why they’re on a line together.  I sure hope that the inmates aren’t running the asylum in this case, cause that means that the coach is already compromised.

I’ve always loved and been a supporter of 8-19 playing together, but I think the time has come to primarily play 8-92 together. 

18 minutes ago, Springfield said:

I proposed Ovie Kuzy and Wilson over on HF and got shouted down by people complaining that Kuzy plays lazy hockey, can’t take faceoffs and sucks in the defensive zone... so I guess he sucks now?

Kuzy easily could’ve won the Conn Smythe. 

I am hopeful we are just seeing the same lull every team goes through at some point in a long season.

3 minutes ago, Springfield said:

I also think that Oshie and Kuzy have sustained multiple concussions this season, which may account for their lack of physicality.  I’m just projecting at this point.

Something is wrong though, for sure.

I still think our schedule is killing us.  There's no rhythm to it.  It's seemingly very random.  After the break we have a long home stretch.  I think that'll be a big boost and it'll give us a bit of a shot in the arm.  The time off is also much needed, especially with Ovi getting an extra day.  

This is the stretch were in where we've swooned a bit.  Look at how bad it's home / away / home / away, and worse there's a few times there it's home / away back to back.  

Capitals v Buffalo 12/15/2018 7:00 PM
Capitals v Pittsburgh 12/19/2018 8:00 PM
Capitals v Buffalo 12/21/2018 7:00 PM
Capitals at Ottawa 12/22/2018 7:00 PM
Capitals v Carolina 12/27/2018 7:00 PM
Capitals at Ottawa 12/29/2018 7:00 PM
Capitals v Nashville 12/31/2018 12:30 PM
Capitals at St. Louis 1/3/2019 8:00 PM
Capitals at Dallas 1/4/2019 8:00 PM
Capitals at Detroit 1/6/2019 5:00 PM
Capitals v Philadelphia 1/8/2019 7:00 PM
Capitals at Boston 1/10/2019 7:00 PM
Capitals v Columbus 1/12/2019 7:00 PM
Capitals v St. Louis 1/14/2019 7:00 PM
Capitals at Nashville 1/15/2019 8:00 PM
Capitals v NY Islanders 1/18/2019 7:30 PM
Capitals at Chicago 1/20/2019 12:30 PM
Capitals v San Jose 1/22/2019 7:00 PM
Capitals at Toronto 1/23/2019 7:30 PM

1 hour ago, Springfield said:

He obviously doesn't suck.  But the superlatives that folks labeled him with aren't entirely inaccurate.  Honestly, I think a lot of his poor play coincides with his return from the concussion earlier in the season.  He's been abysmal on faceoffs and his defensive awareness isn't good by any means....

3rd line demotion is a good wake up call for him...especially if he is 100% healthy. 

Archived