Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Post-Curse D.C. Sports Thread

Sticksboi05

37 minutes ago, CrypticVillain said:

Nothing will make me more happy.

We need a prayer reaction. 

There is such a disconnect between in my head between Ted the Caps owner and Ted the Wizards owner.  He eventually fired GMGM, who had a lot more success than Grunfeld.  Add the sneak extension and I'm like are these two different people?  Just don't get it.

Can I also say: I've been loving the way the Caps have been partying with the city? I know professional athletes have a reputation of being aloof and sort of sequestering themselves away from the fans but this weekend they were all around town, living it up with the fans (albeit it kinda ritzy areas like Georgetown). 

Maybe hockey culture is a little more accessible than the other major sports but I thought that was cool. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Riggo#44 said:

I am a serious sourpuss/curmudgeon and loved watching it, so I can only imagine what kind of debbie downer one would have to be NOT to enjoy that.

I believe some people are going to be miserable about something no matter what, I try to avoid that best I can, it takes me places I don't want to go anymore, context.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, thebluefood said:

Can I also say: I've been loving the way the Caps have been partying with the city? I know professional athletes have a reputation of being aloof and sort of sequestering themselves away from the fans but this weekend they were all around town, living it up with the fans (albeit it kinda ritzy areas like Georgetown). 

Maybe hockey culture is a little more accessible than the other major sports but I thought that was cool. 

They lifted a massive weight off the city's shoulders. They cleared the dark cloud. They ARE Washington.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, thebluefood said:

The party seems to be ongoing. I love it for the fans, players and the nation. 

They are just regular folks, not role models, not heroes, just champion sports players. 

As impressive as that is...most of us have come in first place at something in our lives. 

It's exciting and certainly worth celebrating. 

G'Town is not really that ritzy these days unless you are at the harbor. 

Heck, it used to be the hood. 

Edited by Kosher Ham
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Kosher Ham said:

The party seems to be ongoing. I love it for the fans, players and the nation. 

They are just regular folks, not role models, not heroes, just champion sports players. 

As impressive as that is...most of us have come in first place at somethingin our lives. 

It's exciting and certainly worth celebrating. 

G'Town is not really that ritzy these days unless you are at the harbor. 

Heck, it used to be the hood. 

My grandfather was raised in G'town when it was the hood. According to my aunt, he lived in this tiny house with a bunch of siblings. He was the strong, silent type - died when I was a little boy. Though to my knowledge he wasn't a hockey fan, he would have loved all this. He'd probably pepper in a few stories about his beloved Senators winning the '24 World Series. :) 

But yeah - you never forget placing first in something. I did it once at a junior duckpin bowling tournament (still got the plaques somewhere). My band won a grand championship once at another tournament my freshman year and it was an experience I'll cherish forever. This is the way sports is supposed to be: a community affair. I understand why some athletes put up the walls (free agency, wanting their privacy, ****ty fans, etc.) but fans in the D.C. area love their teams and it's really nice to see the players on that team love the area back. I thought it was something you didn't see in professional sports anymore, like fans mobbing the field after a big win. 

• Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, Sticksboi05 said:

Yesterday. was. amazing.

The Caps, and their fans, deserved this Cup. It pumped me up so much, that I have never wanted a Nationals World Series more (and then then subsequently went out and **** the bed against CC Sabathia...). I watched the entire thing--and I'm not even a die hard fan. I can only imagine the euphoria for those that were there since 1974.

• Like 1

On 6/10/2018 at 10:44 AM, Warhead36 said:

The passion for the Caps has been greater then the Skins for a while now. Redskins games are 50% opposing fans, the die hard portion of that fan base is dying off.

Close...

The passion for the Caps AMONG THOSE WHO HAVE PASSION FOR THE CAPS has been greater than passion for the Skins AMONG THOSE WHO HAVE PASSION FOR THE SKINS. The part that I inserted is the key though...people who care about the Skins still outnumber people who care about the Caps by a large margin. 

The Redskins will still move the needle of the collective DMV sports fan base more quickly, more dramatically, and more often than the other 3 teams combined. That's not to take away from anything those teams accomplish or the loyal fan base that they have, but it's just the truth of the matter when it comes to popularity. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

Close...

The passion for the Caps AMONG THOSE WHO HAVE PASSION FOR THE CAPS has been greater than passion for the Skins AMONG THOSE WHO HAVE PASSION FOR THE SKINS. The part that I inserted is the key though...people who care about the Skins still outnumber people who care about the Caps by a large margin. 

The Redskins will still move the needle of the collective DMV sports fan base more quickly, more dramatically, and more often than the other 3 teams combined. That's not to take away from anything those teams accomplish or the loyal fan base that they have, but it's just the truth of the matter when it comes to popularity. 

Yup. They've been here the longest by far, the NFL is No. 1 in America and they won 3 championships in 9 seasons.

After yesterday's parade, I actually feel kind've bad for people who cheer for teams that don't represent their hometown/where they lived for a long time. You may be happy when they win, but it'll never be the same as watching a celebration on the streets you roam, grew up on, and can relate to. I know people who like the Broncos because they grew up on Elway. Have never been to Denver, it's just not the same.

Edited by Sticksboi05
  • Like 3

9 minutes ago, Sticksboi05 said:

Yup. They've been here the longest by far, the NFL is No. 1 in America and they won 3 championships in 9 seasons.

After yesterday's parade, I actually feel kind've bad for people who cheer for teams that don't represent their hometown/where they lived for a long time. You may be happy when they win, but it'll never be the same as watching a celebration on the streets you roam, grew up on, and can relate to. I know people who like the Broncos because they grew up on Elway. Have never been to Denver, it's just not the same.

I agree with you!

Growing up, I was in love with baseball and football so, in the DC area in the 1980s, that was Ripken and the O's and Gibbs and the Skins. The Orioles were close enough where my parents could take me a couple times each summer. I went to RFK a few times too (back when that was actually a big deal). 

I couldn't have been more in love with those two teams, their stadiums, the atmosphere, the buzz....

• Like 1

Skins fans are here on this forum and they're happy for the Caps. The Redskins are #1 in this town by an astronomical margin. You know if the Redskins won the SB you know there'd be like a million people in the streets 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Sticksboi05 said:

Yeah all yesterday confirms to me is that there is nothing better then rooting for your HOMETOWN team and watching them win. Its just the way its meant to be.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

Yeah all yesterday confirms to me is that there is nothing better then rooting for your HOMETOWN team and watching them win. Its just the way its meant to be.

Be interesting to see if any other NHL teams have the huge market area the Capitals have 

You can listen to John Walton and watch NBCSW I  believe all the way South into N Carolina and north into Hershey PA 

That's half the East Coast nearly 

14 hours ago, Sticksboi05 said:

This is why I only root for teams from places where I've lived for at least a few years. I am a Blackhawks and Bulls fan because I lived in the Midwest for four years and went to college an hour outside of Chicago. A series of unusual circumstances put me in a position for that fandom; I still fondly remember celebrating with a crowd of Blackhawks fans over their 2010 Stanley Cup win following a Cubs/Brewers game that very same night, even though I didn't watch hockey at the time. I immediately got into it and never looked back. It helps to have those kinds of connections.

21 hours ago, Sticksboi05 said:

Not everyone is as fortunate as you are, or views it the same way you do. People move. People don't feel bound by their geography, or feel the need. People have to work. People fly in from all over the globe. Lots of things happen.

Teams don't always represent just a city, anyway. They either represent entire regions, or their fanbases do (often times because there are/were no other pro sports teams).

Rooting for a team that doesn't reside where you grew up/lived is probably true for most people. And that city having a parade, while great (for the people of that city), is strictly a 1% thing.

10 hours ago, Kosher Ham said:

Point fingers. I have not seen that. 

Honestly, I think, by an overwhelming margin, his own insecurities in regards to this topic seem to dwarf ours collectively.

Frankly, I hate the Redskins almost. But reality is reality

Edited by Mr. Sinister

3 hours ago, Mr. Sinister said:

Not everyone is as fortunate as you are, or views it the same way you do. People move. People don't feel bound by their geography, or feel the need. People have to work. People fly in from all over the globe. Lots of things happen.

Teams don't always represent just a city, anyway. They either represent entire regions, or their fanbases do (often times because there are/were no other pro sports teams).

Rooting for a team that doesn't reside where you grew up/lived is probably true for most people. And that city having a parade, while great (for the people of that city), is strictly a 1% thing.

Honestly, I think, by an overwhelming margin, his own insecurities in regards to this topic seem to dwarf ours collectively.

Frankly, I hate the Redskins almost. But reality is reality

Oh for sure - I haven't lived in D.C. since 2010 and I know I'm fortunate to have grown up in an area where we have four teams (post-2005); by city I meant the D.C. region. Someone here (I won't say who) a while back was arguing that you shouldn't move because of the sports teams, which is crazy.

I agree - the Redskins annoy the hell out of me but they are never not going to be #1 ... at least not until the people under 30 become the parents of the region and their kids are told stories of the 2018 Capitals parade (assuming the Skins continue to never win).

• Like 1

I was already out of hs post graduation and just drinking myself stupid for the summer during the Heat' s first title, and ensuing parade. It was awesome, and I'll never forget it (the parts I remember ?), but there's no way I wouldve been able to make all the other ones. Also missed the Marlins by 2 years (back when I was a fan of the team), moving here.

Edited by Mr. Sinister

• 2 weeks later...

As LeBron leaves Cleveland and John Tavares leaves the Islanders for Toronto (both completely valid by the way), I am reminded of how nice it is that Ovechkin signed a 14-year deal because he wanted to play his entire career for D.C. Unlike Harper, has never held it over the franchise's head that he might leave and there are certainly plenty of teams that would pay millions more than what he makes right now for a 50-goal scorer.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Sticksboi05 said:

As LeBron leaves Cleveland and John Tavares leaves the Islanders for Toronto (both completely valid by the way), I am reminded of how nice it is that Ovechkin signed a 14-year deal because he wanted to play his entire career for D.C. Unlike Harper, has never held it over the franchise's head that he might leave and there are certainly plenty of teams that would pay millions more than what he makes right now for a 50-goal scorer.

Yep. Ovie is a true hero. Stays with one team his entire career, delivers a championship, never whines or makes excuses.