Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Is this the most talented yet misused defensive front we've had in years?

Vanguard

On 6/4/2018 at 10:36 PM, Vanguard said:

We have some unproven players with a lot of potential, Like Allen and Payne.  But I think a front seven of Ioannidis, Payne, Allen, and Smith, Kerrigan, Brown, Foster can be dominant.  Do I have the potential starting lineup right?  Who is the weak link (if you feel there is one)?  I'm excited about football again, especially our defense.

Right now the LB corp and Josh Norman are the weakest link IMHO. I see Moreau taking his place next year. Norman is getting killed in man coverage and missing a lot of tackles. Brown looks slow. But the three down lineman are killing it. Kerrigan is rounding into shape. But I'm very pleased this far.

3 hours ago, Thinking Skins said:

Hopefully we can stabilizea rotation. I want Hood playing as little as possible, and with teams more likely to double Allen, it'll lead to independent matchups for everybody else. I'm confident everyone in our starting front 7 can win a match-up one on one so it looks like the groundwork is laid

Hood is solid just not at nose. His natural position is 3-4 DT. 

23 minutes ago, #BgMase76# said:

Hood is solid just not at nose. His natural position is 3-4 DT

I disagree. Generally on run plays,i can see him getting abused. He does little against the pass and there is such a large gap between him and the other 4 in our DL rotation. I'd much rather see Brantley getting reps and experience than Hood getting abused

What i love the most about this line is that, sacks aside, we're seeing the defensive linemen getting tackles. That generally means close to the line of scrimmage or behind the line. Our ilbs should be up there too, but guys are getting off blocks and making plays. Except Hood.

On 9/16/2018 at 6:19 PM, BRAVEONTHEWARPATH93 said:

These threads always end up looking dumb lol 

No one wants to admit it but our ILBs suck. That’s why our run defense is spotty. Foster is a JAG and Brown is just fast. That’s it. They get washed in coverage all the time 

Also, I found the Preston Smith hype ridiculous in the offseason. He’s not very good imo 

Foster has been a beast this year.

On 9/16/2018 at 4:56 PM, markmills67 said:

We finally get a DL and then Kerrigan hits the wall, and our other OLB are average at best. 

HTTR 

Just because Kerrigan hasn't been showing up on the stat sheet doesn't mean he isn't affecting games, I think he forced two holding penalties today, had several pressures, and threw the Packers tackle to the ground like a rag doll on at least one occasion that I saw. Kerrigan is still a beast and I'm sure the sacks will come. 

16 minutes ago, 98ORAKPO98 said:

Just because Kerrigan hasn't been showing up on the stat sheet doesn't mean he isn't affecting games, I think he forced two holding penalties today, had several pressures, and threw the Packers tackle to the ground like a rag doll on at least one occasion that I saw. Kerrigan is still a beast and I'm sure the sacks will come. 

I think the inside pressure means that Kerrigan is losing some pass rush looks because the qbs go down so fast.

On 9/19/2018 at 12:26 AM, Burgundy Yoda said:

Matty I is single handily saving the 2016 draft for us. Right now it's looking pretty bad with Doctson underperforming for his draft position and us trading away Fuller.

But my goodness, hes got a knack for getting to the qb. I think has a 10 sack year in him from the DT position... which is absurd. I need to watch more film on him to see who he reminds me of, but hes a star already and people will know his name by the end of the year. 

Justin Smith

On 9/19/2018 at 1:40 PM, Skinsinparadise said:

Looks like the defensive line could be poised for a breakout - Ionnaidis has played well, arguably Allen, Payne, too but far from dominant.  Seems like the issue is OLB pressure -- Kerrigan-Smith AWOL thus far.

Allen and Ioannidis have both been dominant in every game thus far, Kerrigan hasn't been nearly as bad as many here seem to think he's been. 

https://www.redskins.com/news/kerrigan-foster-put-sunday-s-game-into-perspective-ready-to-shift-focus-to-green

Kerrigan said he has tried not to overreact to his relative lack of production on defense this season. Through two games, he has only recorded one tackle and he hasn’t yet registered a sack. Kerrigan said stats are an imperfect way to judge the production of defensive line play, because most disruptions caused by pass rushers don’t show up in the box score.

“I mean obviously I would love to have a few sacks and some forced fumbles, but it hasn’t worked out that way the first couple games,” Kerrigan said. “But like I said, it’s something that you can’t get frustrated about and you can’t start worrying about it because it’s still early in the season.”

I think Justin Smith to Ioannidis isn’t a lazy comparison between two white guys because they might be a little similar as pass rushers and we’re drafted in a similar range. I don’t think it’s an apt comparison however. Ioannidis isn’t comparable to Justin Smith against the run. 

i actually think that Jonathan Allen to Justin Smith might be a good comparison. They are similar sized guys and both were immediately productive. Smith put up 8.5 sacks as a rookie and did so one other time in his career. He was great against the run and pass and was the foundational piece of whatever line he played on and whatever defense he played for. 

This def line has been playing lights out.  Both Matt I and Allen are great vs both run and pass.  Payne has had some issues vs the run, but I think is showing he can generate more of a pass rush than the draft experts gave him credit for.  And I feel he will improve vs the run as the season progresses.  

I can't imagine another teams def line playing as well as ours is right now. For a 3-4 d line to have this much of an impact is crazy.  Bc it's not them tying up blockers and having those behind them make plays, the def line is making plays themselves. The back seven hasnt capitalized as much as they should've imo.  If the back 7 steps their game up, and the def line continues playing like this, then holy cow we could be the best defense in the league.  Our def line is that good.  

28 minutes ago, SkinsFootball said:

SDH over Who? Foster? Maybe. I haven't noticed Anderson much..i believe he has one sack and a QB hit last weekend? Sadly probably more production then the other Olbs. I guess I wouldn't be mad if they got some more PT.

Yeah, maybe Foster. SDH, when he was healthy was the QB of the Alabama D. So, he can make the calls. He's not a thumper, but he's good in space, good in coverage and has good instincts. He missed a couple tackles in preseason, but he's also working back from a injury.

I don't think he's ready for that yet though, and I don't mind having Foster out there for now. The 2 things I don't like to see from Foster is he's been over pursuing some early, and he's not great in coverage.

Archived