Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Miami Herald: I’m done trying to understand Trump supporters. Why don’t they try to understand me?

12 hours ago, Jabbyrwock said:

I have a teenage son.  He doesn't stand for the pledge.  Not lazy or phone obsessed...its a conscious choice.  His exact explanation: "I'm not pledging allegiance to this country until it starts acting like a country worth pledging allegiance too"

He's not alone.  Most of his friends are of the same mind set.

The antics between the left and the right of this country, the stalemate and rot from the interior, the constant back and forth trolling and frankly infantile behavior, are losing us the next generations.  They are not blind, or stupid.  A teacher, even one he might admire, will have little to no influence in changing this perspective.

The problem with being the shining city on the hill is we actually have to be a shining city on the hill.  Look at how we behave towards each other...why would any teen/young adult want to pledge allegiance to that?

Does he personally see this or is this media driven?  I’m not being a smart ass, just wondering how much of this conflict he actually sees in his day to day life.  I know many people on both sides whose heads are so saturated with CNN, Fox news, and YouTube videos that they’re scared and spew this garbage at the drop of a hat.  My experience in my day to day dealings with people is that the shining city is still there and it’s worth standing for.

Edited by mojo
  • Like 3

19 hours ago, Larry said:

But Citizens Against AIDS

What kind of evil would start this kind of organization? Also, wouldn't it be easier and (in the end) more effective to find a cure for AIDS if you're REALLY against it and hate it so much? I kid, its not AIDS they hate, its the people with AIDS. My bad, folks.

12 hours ago, mojo said:

My experience in my day to day dealings with people is that the shining city is still there and it’s worth standing for.

It's actually rather wild how disgusted I can be with folks because of what they share on social media, yet outside in the real world, folks tend to get a long and help each other out - without drawing lines in the sand because you're X and I'm Y.

Takes me back to what my vietnam vet grandfather told me when I was 4 or 5 years old when I asked him what a republican was and he responded "rich people, and we don't have enough money to be republican".  But more important was what followed, he said some semblance of "But don't ever discuss that outside of these 4 walls.  There's two things you don't discuss outside of the home and that's religion and politics.  No good will come of it."  Crazy how true that rings today.

• Like 5
  • Thumb up 2

5 minutes ago, Llevron said:

That's cause it literally does nothing but divide us. He knew exactly what he was talking about. 

I've had people carried out of bars I worked because of it.  Had 'em jailed, banned, etc.  Fight broke out, I didn't know who's armed, so I just called the cops once without even telling my boss.  Then I gathered everyone's keys and threw 'em in the dumpster.  

Know your role.  (Which includes not pissing your bartender off.)

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

38 minutes ago, Llevron said:

That's cause it literally does nothing but divide us. He knew exactly what he was talking about. 

Its not just politics and religion.  Pretty much anything divides us...multiplication and division is what humans do.  Pick any topic... e.g. do I pre-fill the oil filter in my truck after oil change or not? (by the way, the answer is no, you don't...ever)  There will be two sides with strongly held view points.

It takes a huge helping of mass social humility to admit "hey maybe my viewpoint is wrong and even though yours sounds wrong to me, and even makes me disgusted, maybe I should respect it".  We are certainly capable of such humility...except those dirty unpatriotic oil-filter pre-fillers of course...its just seems not to be in great abundance just now.  Moreover, in many quarters...probably populated heavily by filthy scum that pre-fill their oil filters...such humility is seen as a weakness.  Couple that lack of humility with a conscious attack on basic facts, the ready availability of "alternative facts", the lack of training of basic critical thinking skills and a platform to yell your opinions out to even more vile oil-filter pre-fillers that lurk in the dark corners of the internet ... and that explains current day America in its dysfunctional little nutshell.

15 hours ago, mojo said:

Does he personally see this or is this media driven?

Like the rest of us, I'm certain its a mix of both.

10 minutes ago, balki1867 said:

Does anyone else think it would be hilarious to watch right-wing pundits actually debate muppets? The muppets could stay in character the entire time and we could watch Big Bird explain mRNA to Ted Cruz.

Like that Black Mirror episode:

Black_Mirror_The_Waldo_Moment_TV-8915089

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Lawsuit Threats, Empty Seats, and a “COVID Mobile”: Trump’s Disastrous Tulsa Rally Was Even More of a Train Wreck Than Originally Thought

The rally made headlines for its empty seats, but things were even worse behind the scenes, writes Jonathan Karl. The president feuded with advisers, shouted down objections, and ended up with a car full of sick staffers—and one who was “worried he was going to die.”

n April 24, 2020, Donald Trump received a grim message on a conference call with his campaign advisers. Campaign manager Brad Parscale walked the president through polls conducted by his pollster. The results were dreadful.

“In February, you were on track to win more than four hundred electoral votes,” Parscale told him, saying he had been poised to win even bigger than he won in 2016. “But now you are losing ground everywhere.”

Parscale later told me he didn’t sugarcoat the bad news, telling the president that the pandemic, and public disapproval of his response, had been devastating to his standing and that if he didn’t turn things around, he would lose.

“If I lose, I’m going to sue you,” Trump said.

“I love you, too,” Parscale answered. He insists the president was joking about the lawsuit, but he was obviously angry about his tanking poll numbers.

The next week, Trump did in fact take a break from his daily press conferences. They would come back, but only sporadically. The daily Trump Show in the White House briefing room was over. Trump needed another outlet. The key to turning around his polls, he told his advisors, was to get out on the road again. He had not held a campaign rally since March 2, and he was convinced that was his real problem. He was desperate to get out of the White House and in front of his adoring supporters.

“He was just beside himself,” former New Jersey Governor Chris Christie, a close advisor to Trump whom he called frequently throughout the campaign for advice, told me. “All he could think about was the campaign. He didn’t talk much about anything else. COVID would come into it, but really his focus was on the campaign.”

During another contentious campaign conference call in May, Trump demanded that Parscale put together a plan to get him back on the road as soon as possible. He made this demand as coronavirus infections and deaths continued to skyrocket and all large events—from concerts and baseball games to weddings and funerals—were on hold due to a nationwide shutdown.

Parscale presented Trump with a series of options for a first rally in June. He first proposed a drive-in rally in Tampa, Florida. Parscale told him a drive-in rally would be a great spectacle, with a line of cars stretching for miles. But Trump hated that idea. He didn’t want cars; he wanted a crowd. Parscale next put together a presentation of eleven other possible locations, most of them in outdoor venues, including Michigan, Arizona, Wisconsin, and Oklahoma. Parscale even pitched Trump on a twelfth option: holding a boat rally outside his Mar-a-Lago resort in Palm Beach, Florida. According to Parscale, Florida Governor Ron DeSantis told the campaign to pick a location outside of Florida because the state wasn’t ready to hold a big event due to the threat of the pandemic.

Click on the link for the full story

• Like 1

On 11/11/2021 at 7:54 PM, China said:

Lawsuit Threats, Empty Seats, and a “COVID Mobile”: Trump’s Disastrous Tulsa Rally Was Even More of a Train Wreck Than Originally Thought

The rally made headlines for its empty seats, but things were even worse behind the scenes, writes Jonathan Karl. The president feuded with advisers, shouted down objections, and ended up with a car full of sick staffers—and one who was “worried he was going to die.”

n April 24, 2020, Donald Trump received a grim message on a conference call with his campaign advisers. Campaign manager Brad Parscale walked the president through polls conducted by his pollster. The results were dreadful.

“In February, you were on track to win more than four hundred electoral votes,” Parscale told him, saying he had been poised to win even bigger than he won in 2016. “But now you are losing ground everywhere.”

Parscale later told me he didn’t sugarcoat the bad news, telling the president that the pandemic, and public disapproval of his response, had been devastating to his standing and that if he didn’t turn things around, he would lose.

“If I lose, I’m going to sue you,” Trump said.

“I love you, too,” Parscale answered. He insists the president was joking about the lawsuit, but he was obviously angry about his tanking poll numbers.

The next week, Trump did in fact take a break from his daily press conferences. They would come back, but only sporadically. The daily Trump Show in the White House briefing room was over. Trump needed another outlet. The key to turning around his polls, he told his advisors, was to get out on the road again. He had not held a campaign rally since March 2, and he was convinced that was his real problem. He was desperate to get out of the White House and in front of his adoring supporters.

“He was just beside himself,” former New Jersey Governor Chris Christie, a close advisor to Trump whom he called frequently throughout the campaign for advice, told me. “All he could think about was the campaign. He didn’t talk much about anything else. COVID would come into it, but really his focus was on the campaign.”

Click on the link for the full story

I drank that article up like the long, cool, refreshing glass of schadenfreude that it is.

• Haha 4