Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to the Washington Redskins Tim Settle DT Virginia Tech

Wildbunny

8 hours ago, bowhunter said:

Interesting in the "Best Defensive Line" thread that one analyst predicted Settle to become a pro bowler, while doubting that Payne turns out it to be even  a starter.   

I'm sure there's "one analyst " who's predicted something like that about most players in the first few rounds. 

8 hours ago, bowhunter said:

Interesting in the "Best Defensive Line" thread that one analyst predicted Settle to become a pro bowler, while doubting that Payne turns out it to be even  a starter.   

I am a big Settle fan but even for me this is a big stretch. I believe they will both be starters by the time it's all said and done. I have some concerns about Payne in the short term but they are things that should be very coachable, the same with Settle. Neither are complete, but both are very athletic and smart football players. I have every confidence that under Tomsula both these guys will have at the very least solid NFL careers. 

9 hours ago, bowhunter said:

Settle, barring any kind of real physical transformation, will see little to no playing time his rookie year.  Payne will start game 1.

If he doesnt fix his physical issues he will be out of football in 2-3 years.  Thats my prediction.  Who wants to take me up on it?

27 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

It's amusing that people wanted to take Guise first and Settle in the 2nd and we got them both along with Payne and an OT. 

That's exactly how I did it in the ES Mock draft although I also picked up an additional 2nd rounder and picked Guice at 26, not 13. Then with Vea and Payne gone I took Settle in the 2nd. In fairness I had to make the Guice pick before the BS came out that dropped him in the real draft. I took an edge rusher out of Okl with my additional 2nd rd pick. That was because I have a feeling they are not going to pay Preston Smith and I had already seen they did not want Gallete back (who is still without a contract). 

But even though I thought they took Payne a little high. overall they did a great job. Still not a fan of the FO structure but it's hard to complain about how this draft went. Give credit where it's due. They did a great job, at least on paper. It may turn out differently, but that is just part of the draft. They made pretty good choices based on the information they had when it was their turn to pick. 

2 minutes ago, zoony said:

Settle, barring any kind of real physical transformation, will see little to no playing time his rookie year.  Payne will start game 1.

If he doesnt fix his physical issues he will be out of football in 2-3 years.  Thats my prediction.  Who wants to take me up on it?

Payne, I agree with. He is a day 1 starter. No doubt. He fills a huge need and is a physical freak and should change the run D immediately. 

As for Settle, you keep talking about his "physical issues". I have posted several times what he has already done and is doing in terms of conditioning including already losing close to 50 lbs over the last 18 months, and now working directly with a conditioning coach that his agent got for him, and continuing his regimen even after the season was over and has lost an additional 13 lbs. He went from a playing weight in 2016 of over 360 (about 365 I believe) to a playing weight of 335 last season, to 329 at the combine to 323 at his pro day. Not sure what he has to "fix".

His teammates like Zach Brown are already talking about - don't forget about big Tim, he is looking good out there. 

So yes, I will take that challenge. I believe he will get some meaningful playing time this season. As for the next few seasons, he may be out of football just because that happens in the league - but not because of "weight issues?" 

16 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I appreciate the enthusiasm about him.  Like I said I need to watch Settle, I've been angling to do it way back before even the draft.  I just noticed among our later picks, Settle, Hamilton, Quinn, Stroman -- its interesting that there are some draft geeks that like to slam Settle and not so much the other guys.  

But personally, I like Settle in theory.  Another big run stuffing defensive tackle.  I got to get around to watching some of his games. 

Your point is well taken given what appears to be mixed reviews on him among draft analysts. 

That said, we drafted him relatively late so I see him as low risk-high reward. 

That said, I'm not an X and Os guy but I did get excited by what he showed in his highlight reel. But .... it's a highlight reel, after all. Cherry picked good plays but none of the bad stuff to properly make a balanced assessment. :) 

8 hours ago, goskins10 said:

I am a big Settle fan but even for me this is a big stretch. I believe they will both be starters by the time it's all said and done. I have some concerns about Payne in the short term but they are things that should be very coachable, the same with Settle. Neither are complete, but both are very athletic and smart football players. I have every confidence that under Tomsula both these guys will have at the very least solid NFL careers. 

What are your concerns with DP? Apologies if I missed them.

8 hours ago, zoony said:

Wise words. Hopefully he works his tail off over the next year..and thereafter...he has a good chance though, but will need to put the hours in.

I'd suggest Payne looks a real pro. Think he's the business, love the pick, but hey time will tell.

Players drop below were it seems they should go for a reason,  Players who are late picks/UDFAs who drop but end up having quality NFL careers quickly usually have one of the following issues:

Went to a small school

Were basically thought to be the Robin to someone else's Batman

Have injury flags

Have huge character concerns

Have physical questions

Settle is a definite no on all but physical issues. If you think Settle will quickly become at least the primary NT backup in year 1, you have to hope that he had physical questions that caused the fall.

11 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

It's amusing that people wanted to take Guise first and Settle in the 2nd and we got them both along with Payne and an OT. 

This happened with Baccari Rambo too...people were screaming for him in the 2nd, then he kept falling...then we got him in the 6th and we thought it was a huge steal. Sometimes fans are just blind to certain holes in skill-sets that are a big deal to NFL personnel guys. 

Not saying that's the case with Settle, necessarily. But a guy being a steal just because draftniks projected him multiple rounds earlier than he was drafted isn't always the case.

Sometimes it is, though. I wanted T.Y. Hilton and Stefon Diggs multiple rounds before they went and they turned out to be studs in their own right. But that's just me having dumb luck, being right about a certain type of player I like (I also saw it with Tyreek Hill who I was high on aside from his off-field scumbaggery, but I seemingly missed on Tyler Lockett). 

3 hours ago, volsmet said:

We still have a TOOC thread? 

12 hours ago, goskins10 said:

Payne, I agree with. He is a day 1 starter. No doubt. He fills a huge need and is a physical freak and should change the run D immediately. 

As for Settle, you keep talking about his "physical issues". I have posted several times what he has already done and is doing in terms of conditioning including already losing close to 50 lbs over the last 18 months, and now working directly with a conditioning coach that his agent got for him, and continuing his regimen even after the season was over and has lost an additional 13 lbs. He went from a playing weight in 2016 of over 360 (about 365 I believe) to a playing weight of 335 last season, to 329 at the combine to 323 at his pro day. Not sure what he has to "fix".

His teammates like Zach Brown are already talking about - don't forget about big Tim, he is looking good out there. 

So yes, I will take that challenge. I believe he will get some meaningful playing time this season. As for the next few seasons, he may be out of football just because that happens in the league - but not because of "weight issues?" 

I actually am not as concerned about his weight.  Its his strength that is the issue

10 hours ago, volsmet said:

I did state them but it's been a while so it's' a fair question. Let me preface this with he does a lot of very good things. Just want it to be clear I am not in the camp that thinks he can't make it or will be just OK.I believe he will be a day one starter and will make a huge contribution, especially in the run D.

I have two concerns. One is coachable I am sure. When pass rushing he tends to come in high, losing leverage, even if just for  a second. At the very least it slows his pass rush and negates his very quick get off. More concerning is that I saw more times than I thought was normal, when he got stood up he seemed to stop on the play.

Second, for me, he seems to have a problem finishing plays. Check out this highlight film. Tell me how many times he actually brings a guy to the ground, especially when compared to the other players highlighted. I watched many other films and saw some of the same. But I found it startling that in a highlight reel he never actually brings someone all the way down. He gets there and can be very disruptive but he didn't finish guys as much as I thought he should. SOme of his lack of production was due to what he was asked to do, But not all of it.

9 hours ago, zoony said:

I actually am not as concerned about his weight.  Its his strength that is the issue

I have seen this concern. My guess is it comes from him not doing the bench press at the combine? Do you have examples? I mean that as an honest question as I again am no expert and could have just missed it. Have you watched video of him and seen signs of him being weak and needing to work on strength?

Below are a few reviews that specifically mention mention his strength. I could not find any stating his strength was an issue. There are some things he needs to work on for sure. He is not a finished product by any means. He can play a little out of control taking himself out of plays. I would like to see him have better vision when he is engaged with a block. In the NC game alone the RB goes right past him. I would like to see him shed the block as the RB comes by and make a play. At 20, almost 21 he is still growing into his body and can get off balance sometimes. And maybe that's where you are seeing his as needing more strength. I see it as getting control. From what I see he has the strength. He just needs to learn to control it better. 

Anyway, I would be interested if you had some specific plays in mind of game videos that highlight your concern. 

This is from Lance Zierlein:

Overview

Settle has rare gifts for a big man with good mass, play strength, quickness, and agility. His substantial jump in production in 2017 was due to weight loss and additional conditioning that allowed him to play more snaps and play faster. He's a disruptive, versatile defensive lineman who offers enough pass rush potential to warrant reps on passing downs. Settle is a natural 4-3 fit but can play in a 3-4 as well. He has the potential to become a very good starter with a Pro Bowl ceiling if he controls his weight and maintains his conditioning.

This is another scouting report: 

Tim Settle Scouting Report 
By Charlie Campbell 

Strengths:

Here is from CBS Sports Draft - Not Dane but one of the others on staff - RJ White:

• Tough run defender
  • Very strong
  • Surprising athleticism for a big, thick nose tackle
  • Rare explosion at the point of attack for a nose tackle
  • Can contribute in the pass rush
  • Can fire by guards with speed
  • Collapses the pocket
  • Active hands
  • Perfect fit as a 3-4 nose tackle
  • Good fit as a 4-3 nose tackle
  • Can eat up double teams
  • Closes well for a heavy tackle
  • Impressive ability to shed blocks
  • Frees up edge rushers, linebackers

Draft Prospect Outlook:

Stocky, powerful defensive tackle with amazing explosion upfield. Frequently uses his hands to keep offensive linemen away from his frame. Width helps him hold up against down blocks. Scary potential.

If settles only issues are conditioning and weight control, he's an absolute steal and will be a monster. Even if upper body strength are part of it, because it all rolls into one thing and being around a high character, high work ethic group led by a vet like Hood and one of the best position coaches will solve all of that. 

On 6/17/2018 at 9:55 PM, bowhunter said:

Perfect. I don’t care about which one, but if either is a Pro Bowler it was a great draft. 

On 6/19/2018 at 10:24 AM, Koolblue13 said:

If settles only issues are conditioning and weight control, he's an absolute steal and will be a monster. Even if upper body strength are part of it, because it all rolls into one thing and being around a high character, high work ethic group led by a vet like Hood and one of the best position coaches will solve all of that. 

I do think that being from this area and Settle having his family support structure around him will help keep him on track.  I guess to be honest we have to see if its actually ends up being a benefit or detriment that he is playing Pro ball back home but I think from the interviews, it will help him out since he is still a very young kid.

You guys should go watch the 6 min interview up on www.redskins.com it’s worth the watch. Young man showed up at Redskins facility the Same day he was drafted. Love This! I think he contributes more in year one then people think, calling it now.  Excited for this dude, lifelong Skins fan too!

@goskins10 I jumped on the Payne hype train since we drafted him, but man those highlights remind me how bitter I was that we just missed out on Vea. He's clearly the better player, but here's to hoping that the Alabama boys have some special rapport and do big things.

I don't know where the pic was posted, but it showed Settle, Taylor, Hood, and Allen. Settle is clearly keeping the weight off, which is a positive, but it looks like he needs to pack on some muscle. Regardless, his quickness is freaky for a 330+ pounder.

1 hour ago, CTskin said:

@goskins10 I jumped on the Payne hype train since we drafted him, but man those highlights remind me how bitter I was that we just missed out on Vea. He's clearly the better player, but here's to hoping that the Alabama boys have some special rapport and do big things.

I don't know where the pic was posted, but it showed Settle, Taylor, Hood, and Allen. Settle is clearly keeping the weight off, which is a positive, but it looks like he needs to pack on some muscle. Regardless, his quickness is freaky for a 330+ pounder.

Could Settle become a poor man's Vea? 

Archived