Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

is Trumpism helping or harming the position of Christianity in America?

mcsluggo

6 minutes ago, AsburySkinsFan said:

Exactly....and yes I get the joke, but still.....exactly.

Well actually, that same type of verse shows up in Deuteronomy and that's like in the first five books......sooooooo

Deuteronomy 4:2 New American Standard Bible (NASB)
You shall not add to the word which I am commanding you, nor take away from it, that you may keep the commandments of the Lord your God which I command you.

Was reading about that, that's original five books of Torah, right?  Technically the Jews didn't, Christians did to make their own holy collection.

Just now, Renegade7 said:

Was reading about that, that's original five books of Torah, right?  Technically the Jews didn't, Christians did to make their own holy collection.

Pentateuch or Torah, yes. The discussion around how the canon was decided upon is a much broader topic than I can go into in this thread, but there was a lot of debate about a lot of parts, including the Torah, and more hotly contested Revelation itself which barely snuck in.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

Uh, what?

Samaritans and Zaddokim, aka Sadduccees only believed in the Torah, but mainstream Judaism has always believed in the Tanakh - Torah, Neviim, Kethuvim - what Christians call the Old Testament. Furthermore, rabbinic Judaism (which arose from Pharisaic traditions) also believes in the Talmud.

Furthermore, John himself wrote his epistles and likely even his gospel AFTER he wrote Revelations, so it's absurd to think he thought nothing further should be written.

2 hours ago, AsburySkinsFan said:

You mean like God's ways don't change....except for eating shrimp....and stoning disobedient children.

God said it...I believe it...that settles it.

God should not peer into Golden Corral, those Christians scarf platefuls of fried shrimp in there.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Riggo-toni said:

Uh, what?

Samaritans and Zaddokim, aka Sadduccees only believed in the Torah, but mainstream Judaism has always believed in the Tanakh - Torah, Neviim, Kethuvim - what Christians call the Old Testament. Furthermore, rabbinic Judaism (which arose from Pharisaic traditions) also believes in the Talmud.

Furthermore, John himself wrote his epistles and likely even his gospel AFTER he wrote Revelations, so it's absurd to think he thought nothing further should be written.

Revelation was most likely not even written by John, isn't that the **** of it all?

All this haggling over scripture and most of the texts (other than the letters) weren't even written by those they are attributed to, but yeah, let's argue about the authority of a text.

1 minute ago, Dan T. said:

God should not peer into Golden Corral, those Christians scarf platefuls of fried shrimp in there.

Hell, the gluttony alone would gag her!!

Edited by AsburySkinsFan

12 minutes ago, AsburySkinsFan said:

Revelation was most likely not even written by John, isn't that the **** of it all?

All this haggling over scripture and most of the texts (other than the letters) weren't even written by those they are attributed to, but yeah, let's argue about the authority of a text.

I don't think most people think John even wrote the Gospel of John.

Much less Revelations.  There is a thought that Revelations was written by a John, just the disciple John.  Revelations itself never states that is the disciple John.  Just John.

And this is true for much of the Bible.  Many of "Paul's letters" aren't probably written by Paul.

Edited by PeterMP

13 minutes ago, Riggo-toni said:

Uh, what?

That's why it was a question.

13 minutes ago, Riggo-toni said:

I should've just posted the article I was reading, some interpret that after Revelations happens some angels will create new scripture.

https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/study/new-era/1977/09/q-and-a-questions-and-answers/how-do-we-explain-revelation-22-18-that-says-not-to-add-to-the-scriptures?lang=eng

13 minutes ago, AsburySkinsFan said:

I mean, that's been a problem for me for a while now, how can you take scripture word for word learning more and more about the history of how it came to be?  How do you practice a religion and still be objective about it?

10 minutes ago, PeterMP said:

Much less Revelations.  There is a thought that Revelations was written by a John, just the disciple John.  Revelations itself never states that is the disciple John.  Just John.

And this is true for much of the Bible.  Many of "Paul's letters" aren't probably written by Paul.

I'll bet George wrote a lot of it.  Or Ringo.

• Haha 2

18 minutes ago, PeterMP said:

Yup.

Wanna hear a trippy theory on Revelation and the Gospel of John? 

Written by Lazarus. I'm not even kidding a little.

I'd have to search up my old notes, but I had a professor who laid out some interesting questions about the theory.

20 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

I should've just posted the article I was reading, some interpret that after Revelations happens some angels will create new scripture.

https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/study/new-era/1977/09/q-and-a-questions-and-answers/how-do-we-explain-revelation-22-18-that-says-not-to-add-to-the-scriptures?lang=eng

I mean, that's been a problem for me for a while now, how can you take scripture word for word learning more and more about the history of how it came to be?  How do you practice a religion and still be objective about it?

I'm not gonna read that article, but thank you for posting it. As for the theories about angels etc, I'm sorry but that's a bull**** cheat to avoid the fact that they're reading their Bibles wrong.

As to your last point, it becomes very difficult to the point where you either plug your nose and surrender on faith, or you close the book one last time and let it collect dust. Somewhere along the way I chose the latter.

26 minutes ago, PeterMP said:

25 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

I love having these conversations, but "Revelations" is like nails on a chalkboard to me...It's the Revelation of John, singular. Sorry, serious pet peeve says more about me than you, but I have to put that out there.

Edited by AsburySkinsFan

3 minutes ago, AsburySkinsFan said:

I love having these conversations, but "Revelations" is like nails on a chalkboard to me...It's the Revelation of John, singular. Sorry, serious pet peeve says more about me than you, but I have to put that out there.

Well, if we want to be technical isn't it the Revelation to John.

Things are being revealed to John.  John isn't doing the revealing.

I've heard people call it the Revelation of Jesus or the Revelation of God.  But not the Revelation of John.

12 minutes ago, PeterMP said:

Well, if we want to be technical isn't it the Revelation to John.

Things are being revealed to John.  John isn't doing the revealing.

I've heard people call it the Revelation of Jesus or the Revelation of God.  But not the Revelation of John.

I don't care just so long as its singular

16 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

Nones graph

Observations:

.2-.3% in DC and South Dakota....statistical anomaly?

Kentucky's 12% is bigger than I thought, same with W. Virginia. Red States are showing a BIG shift.

BTW, got a link?

Edited by AsburySkinsFan

41 minutes ago, AsburySkinsFan said:

I'm not gonna read that article, but thank you for posting it. As for the theories about angels etc, I'm sorry but that's a bull**** cheat to avoid the fact that they're reading their Bibles wrong.

As to your last point, it becomes very difficult to the point where you either plug your nose and surrender on faith, or you close the book one last time and let it collect dust. Somewhere along the way I chose the latter.

I respectfully disagree

Just now, Renegade7 said:

I respectfully disagree

You're right, I missed one, 3) you pretend there aren't serious concerns about the authenticity and accuracy of the Bible and you simply theologize away any problems and pretend it's all part of the glory that is the mystery of god. 

Which is just another way of saying the first one.

39 minutes ago, AsburySkinsFan said:

I don't care just so long as its singular

Observations:

.2-.3% in DC and South Dakota....statistical anomaly?

Kentucky's 12% is bigger than I thought, same with W. Virginia. Red States are showing a BIG shift.

BTW, got a link?

https://friendlyatheist.patheos.com/2019/07/09/the-rise-of-non-religious-americans-is-occurring-all-over-the-country/

Edit:  And here's another one.

https://news.gallup.com/poll/259964/confidence-organized-religion-remains-low.aspx

Line graph. Americansâ confidence in organized religion fell its lowest point in Gallupâs trend since 1973, 36%.

Edited by PleaseBlitz

13 minutes ago, AsburySkinsFan said:

You're right, I missed one, 3) you pretend there aren't serious concerns about the authenticity and accuracy of the Bible and you simply theologize away any problems and pretend it's all part of the glory that is the mystery of god. 

Which is just another way of saying the first one.

Even the Catholic Church recognizes evolution and the big bang now.

13 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

That could be single digits by time this country crosses over into majority minority.  Brave new world.