Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Vaya Con Dios, Manny! The plight of the 2018 Orioles

Spaceman Spiff

2 minutes ago, abdcskins said:

I hope Davis retires.  I don't the specifics of the contract, but I am assuming we would get some money back.  We have to if he quits.

If he just quits,  I'm pretty sure we owe  him zero.  MLB contracts don't have all these signing bonuses / roster bonuses / etc. like NFL contracts.  They are fully guaranteed, as long as the player is willing to play (and isn't suspended) 

2 hours ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

That article actually is quite heart-breaking to read. I know he's sucked for 2 years and I know the contract was a huge mistake (which isn't, by the way, on him). But man, by all accounts he's a good person and teammate. No one really deserves this unless they aren't trying. It's clear THAT isn't his issue. 

Think of of this way, if by playing so poorly, Davis does retire early on a buyout, he'd actually be doing the Os a favor more than if he played through his entire contract floating around replacement level ala Ryan Howard.  ? 

16 hours ago, DCSaints_fan said:

Think of of this way, if by playing so poorly, Davis does retire early on a buyout, he'd actually be doing the Os a favor more than if he played through his entire contract floating around replacement level ala Ryan Howard.  ? 

Oh, selfishly I want him to leave with Buck...but I just mean on a personal level, it's very hard to see this happen to someone who: 

1) hasn't done anything "wrong" that we know of  

2) seems like a stand-up guy, on and off the field

3) was a respected leader and one of the key pieces to a handful of contending teams

Buck is out.  Thanks for the memories -  everything from stabilizing this team, knocking out the Red Sox in 2011 to cap Boston's epic meltdown, 5 straight seasons of .500 or better after a brutal decade of losing, 2 wild card berths, and of course that magical 2014 season which us fans will be holding onto tightly during what will undoubtedly be a painful rebuild.  You were a class act on the field and off.  Best O's skipper since Earl.

Buck was great.  Best manager I've had during my lifetime, the last of the Earl years and Earl 2.0 don't count cause I was too young to remember.  I really liked Johnny Oates, too, and Frank Robinson with the '89 Why Not team.

But Buck did it for longer and did it better.  I will miss him.  He had a great ride that @capcrunch98summed up nicely.  

59 minutes ago, capcrunch98 said:

Buck is out.  Thanks for the memories -  everything from stabilizing this team, knocking out the Red Sox in 2011 to cap Boston's epic meltdown, 5 straight seasons of .500 or better after a brutal decade of losing, 2 wild card berths, and of course that magical 2014 season which us fans will be holding onto tightly during what will undoubtedly be a painful rebuild.  You were a class act on the field and off.  Best O's skipper since Earl.

Very well said. 

I remember when he took the job. It was so late in the season that I was surprised that he was just going to go right into the dugout and start. Very early on, there was a game where the home plate umpire missed 3 straight pitches to Markakis. Called strikes. Markakis argues and gets tossed. Buck comes out and sticks up for his guy. Says that my guy doesn’t argue and when he does he means it. So you ****ed up. 

I remember when That ****er CC broke Markakis’ hand. And Buck gave him a hug like, you could just feel the pain both were feeling. But he pulled that team to the playoffs and won that WC. 

And in 2014. Winning the division. The players were on the field celebrating and Buck seemed to make it a point to just stay in the dugout and watch. He helped built it. They had done it. 

After such  a ****ty period of time, it was so great to be proud to be an Orioles fan. Buck was such a big part of that. 

I appreciate what Buck and Dan did for this team. We had a 5-6 year run (2012-2017) where we thought we had a shot going into the final month of the season. And, half the time, we came through and made the playoffs. For someone who started following this team in the mid-80s, that was unfathomable to me. Prior to 2012/2014/2016 I had the 1989 Why Not O's, a couple of close-but-no-cigar teams in the early- to mid-1990s and then the back-to-back playoff seasons of 1996 and 1997. That was it before the 14-year nuclear winter. 

So, instead of remembering September 2017 through October 2018 where it got very bad very quickly (it's still amazing to me that we were above .500 and considering a WC spot in August of 2017), I'm going to remember...

- Eliminating the Sox in 2011...which is when this iteration truly arrived

- Manny being called up and energizing the 2012 team

- That September Yankee series in 2012 where Reynolds went nuts 

- Winning the wild card game in Texas and taking the Yankees to 5 games in 2012

- Cruising to the division title in 2014 and that amazing series vs. Detroit in 2014 (I was at game 1!!)

- Chris Davis of 2013/2015 - wow!

- Gritting our way to the 2016 wild card game

For a period there, this team was magic and the whole was greater than the sum of its parts. I thought it should have been rebuilt the second Encarnacion's ball landed (in fairness, maybe that just happened), but I'm nitpicking the details after half-a-decade of relevant baseball! 

Cheers to Buck and Dan, who were EXACTLY what was needed at the time. I hope we quickly find the next version of those two men!

5 minutes ago, Rocky21 said:

Surprised there isn't more chatter here about Duquette being gone.  We wanted it.  We got it. 

Some good Buckisms here.  (Will miss ya big guy.) 

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/bs-sp-orioles-buck-showalter-buckisms-20181003-story.html

I’m happy is he gone. I’m a little worried about ownership and what is going on. They had DD do their bidding to slash payroll which got rid of solid assets for players that DD wanted as opposed to having a new GM type do that. It’s like they did it the exact opposite way that they should’ve. Makes me worry that we are going to have a low payroll as long as they remain owners. Also, the Brady role needs to be addressed still.

Happy for the time we had Buck, and appreciate everything he did here. He was probably more successful than he should've been.  But I dont get sentimental about players or coaches.  I reminisced on the Buck Showalter era for about 5 minutes, I've already moved on.  Same with Adam Jones.

I think Duquette gets a bit of a bad rap.  Only GM to really have worked and thrived under Angelos for any extended period of time.  That says a LOT.  

I do believe ownership had him fighting most battles with a hand behind his back.  I think Buck and ownership were the main factors in giving Davis such a large contract, but Duq needs to take some of that blame, too.  

They both had great runs here, no doubt about it.  

Brady Anderson terrifies me.  I am not sure how he's kept aboard.

6 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

I think Duquette gets a bit of a bad rap.  Only GM to really have worked and thrived under Angelos for any extended period of time.  That says a LOT.  

I do believe ownership had him fighting most battles with a hand behind his back.  I think Buck and ownership were the main factors in giving Davis such a large contract, but Duq needs to take some of that blame, too.  

They both had great runs here, no doubt about it.  

Brady Anderson terrifies me.  I am not sure how he's kept aboard.

Doesn't it suck that an extended run of good play is 3-4 winning/non-losing seasons out of 7 years. I love the O's but it sure sucks being an O's fan a lot of the time. 

7 minutes ago, Hersh said:

Doesn't it suck that an extended run of good play is 3-4 winning/non-losing seasons out of 7 years. I love the O's but it sure sucks being an O's fan a lot of the time. 

We had five straight .500 or better seasons. Yes, that's a low bar, but it was consistent contending for the playoffs over five straight years (2012-2016). 

Most winningest AL regular season team from 2014-2016 or somewhere around there.

Sad to see Buck go but it was time. Hes already back in Texas, put house up for sale a month or so ago per radio.

DD - hard to know what he should get credit and blame for but he did talk w Toronto behind our back so no matter what ... **** that guy.

Low payroll next few years.

VVM - if that doesnt happen .. my interest and commitment goes down further.

13 minutes ago, Hersh said:

It does suck.

5 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

We had five straight .500 or better seasons. Yes, that's a low bar, but it was consistent contending for the playoffs over five straight years (2012-2016). 

Which is why this answer is correct.  The bar was so damn low for us after 1998-2011 that this little run or whatever felt like it was fantastic.  

3 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

We contended legitimately for 4 of those years, sorta. They were over .500 in 2013 but I can't recall if they were seriously contending for a playoff spot in September. 2015 they were not contending. 2015 was the year that started the downfall of the O's to the worst season ever now. It was dumb to try to play to be a .500 team that season, which the O's stated was important in September. 

Archived