Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Vaya Con Dios, Manny! The plight of the 2018 Orioles

Spaceman Spiff

1 minute ago, Hersh said:

We contended legitimately for 4 of those years, sorta. They were over .500 in 2013 but I can't recall if they were seriously contending for a playoff spot in September. 2015 they were not contending. 2015 was the year that started the downfall of the O's to the worst season ever now. It was dumb to try to play to be a .500 team that season, which the O's stated was important in September. 

That's correct...I forgot that we won the last 4-5 games to get to 81 wins in 2015. I think in 2013 (and even large stretches of 2017) we were in contention for most of the year. I think as late as mid-August of 2017 we were within a couple games of the WC. 

So, by my count, we entered football season in contention in 2012, 13, 14, 15, 16, and even 17. We faded horribly in 15 and 17 in September. 

4 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

It does suck.

Which is why this answer is correct.  The bar was so damn low for us after 1998-2011 that this little run or whatever felt like it was fantastic.  

That's a little harsh. Not many teams can say that over a five year period, they made the playoffs three times and were in the running the other two seasons. Some can, sure (Cubs, Yankees, Sox), but most at our level weren't that consistent over five years. We never did anything with it, but still. 

13 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

I'll still be super interested and committed no matter what but VVM would actually make me excited.

Honestly ... I cant predict I will. Ive never watched so few Os games this year. Hell, normally in the winter I watch those old Os classics on MASN from first pitch to last and probably watch 80% of the regular season games. This year ... I just didnt watch, didnt bother dvr'ing them. Im a n e i l s e n house to boot. 

1 hour ago, Hersh said:

Doesn't it suck that an extended run of good play is 3-4 winning/non-losing seasons out of 7 years. I love the O's but it sure sucks being an O's fan a lot of the time. 

We made the playoffs 4 times in the sport that has the highest bar for making the playoffs, in arguably the toughest division in baseball.   

We also went 1-1 in wild card games and 1-1 in division series.  So its not like the Braves or A's where we failed miserably when making the playoffs.

On top of which, sticking to the Red Sox at the end of 2011.  I'd almost count that as a wildcard game.

I'd say thats a pretty good run.

4 minutes ago, DCSaints_fan said:

We made the playoffs 4 times in the sport that has the highest bar for making the playoffs, in arguably the toughest division in baseball.   

We also went 1-1 in wild card games and 1-1 in division series.  So its not like the Braves or A's where we failed miserably when making the playoffs.

On top of which, sticking to the Red Sox at the end of 2011.  I'd almost count that as a wildcard game.

3 playoff appearances. It's a nice little run, but in reality it's 3 playoff appearances in 20 seasons. The O's won one WC game and one series. That's really not much. I know it feels like more to all of us because it's the O's. 

That's my take on it too (except it was only 3 times, but that doesn't change your point). Baseball is very tough to make the playoffs...and not only did we qualify 3 times, but we advanced a round in 2 of the 3 years. 

2 minutes ago, Hersh said:

3 playoff appearances. It's a nice little run, but in reality it's 3 playoff appearances in 20 seasons. The O's won one WC game and one series. That's really not much. I know it feels like more to all of us because it's the O's. 

Rather than attempting to qualify it (we all have different thresholds for success), look at other similar teams (meaning not the big guns in MLB) who have that type of "success." 

The Royals surpassed that for sure...but look at teams like the Tigers, A's, Rays, Blue Jays, etc. - no one did BETTER than us in a 5-6 year stretch. 

I think I'm less enthusiastic about the mini run because it easily could have been much better and the O's ****ed it up big time. I'm not going to recap it, but the 2014 team was awesome. Instead of building on it, they let it fall apart. 

Just now, Hersh said:

I think I'm less enthusiastic about the mini run because it easily could have been much better and the O's ****ed it up big time. I'm not going to recap it, but the 2014 team was awesome. Instead of building on it, they let it fall apart. 

That much we can agree on. 

But like I said, it's over now so rather than chronicle where they failed, I'd rather remember that feeling I had at the peak of 2014...when JJ Hardy slid in safely on Delmon's bases-clearing double, I was at a level emotionally I had never been as a fan. Winning against Randy Johnson in 1997 may have been close, but that 2014 team also felt like it was going to win it all. 

This regime gave me that feeling...

Just now, TD_washingtonredskins said:

That much we can agree on. 

But like I said, it's over now so rather than chronicle where they failed, I'd rather remember that feeling I had at the peak of 2014...when JJ Hardy slid in safely on Delmon's bases-clearing double, I was at a level emotionally I had never been as a fan. Winning against Randy Johnson in 1997 may have been close, but that 2014 team also felt like it was going to win it all. 

This regime gave me that feeling...

That one moment was amazing. I'll enjoy it more after there is some space from what just happened. 

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not 100% that this was intentional.   Remember he injured himself running to 1st base a few years ago, and he also has a history of dogging it.  It could have been he just wasn't paying attention. If he really wanted to hurt Aguilar though, he should have stepped on his ankle with his foot, or at least toed him.  

I'm not 100% that this was intentional.   Remember he injured himself running to 1st base a few years ago, and he also has a history of dogging it.  It could have been he just wasn't paying attention. If he really wanted to hurt Aguilar though, he should have stepped on his ankle with his foot, or at least toed him.  

He was just as likely to hurt himself as Aguilar.  Maybe more likely.

I actually cared more about the admitting he's not a hustle guy part the other day.  

7 hours ago, capcrunch98 said:

Now that we aren't watching him through black and orange-colored glasses, has anyone's opinion of Manny changed a bit?

Nope, my hatred for the Orioles and their incompetence trounces any negative feelings I have towards Manny.  He should still be here. 

As soon as the Mesa brothers didn't sign with the O's right away, it was pretty obvious they were wanting to be elsewhere. It is still baffling that in the midst of this, DD traded away $750,000 worth of international signing slots to Philly for a 24 year old A ball player. 

The most depressing thing is now we have all this int'l bonus money we need to spend with no top prospects left.  Maybe they'll just throw a bunch of money around and see if they get lucky on any of them.  Can't remember the date it has to be used by but it doesn't carry over or anything. 

Just now, SkinFanInMinn said:

The most depressing thing is now we have all this int'l bonus money we need to spend with no top prospects left.  Maybe they'll just throw a bunch of money around and see if they get lucky on any of them.  Can't remember the date it has to be used by but it doesn't carry over or anything. 

Resets July 1st, 2019.

they should’ve overpaid for Gaston but I don’t think the O’s have any real intention of spending money. It’s a joke of an organization.

8 minutes ago, SkinFanInMinn said:

****ing A man ... god ****ing damnit.

Why did we add 2.5M in int'l slot money in the Gausman deal .. if we didnt use or need it?

Angelos' sons not looking good in my eyes. This was supposed to be there "coming out" party to an extent. I realize that developing a footprint in the latin market will take a while, VVM and Gaston seemed legit prospects and we have a ton of int'l money.

I was hoping the salary dumps = reinvestment into the club. It seems like a money return to Angelos at this point.

This ****ing team ...

edit - Im sure most of you all saw Brittons comments on Yankee analytics vs ours.

Why are we still fans? seriously ..

15 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

Question on the international slot money...

Do they trade for actual money or do they trade for a higher cap of money they are allowed to spend? 

Higher cap. So the Os had about 7M or so they could spend on int'l prospects. More than any other team, Miami traded to add some.

Basically .. its allows you to spend more if you want. if you dont spend it, owner just keeps the money.

Angelos kept his money ..... (that they will spend on some 32 year old FA like colby rasmus (3m contract))

Why not NOT sign the middling useless FA for 5 M and use that to sign freaking VVM??

makes no sense. none. The Os only want to spend money if it raises their payroll so they look like they are trying to be competitive on paper. But everything else behind the scenes either doesnt exist or is on a shoe string budget.

im close man .. real close to calling it.

So pissed at the Orioles now.  I've never been so close to just stopping following this team.  

I don't think I can.  I've been obsessed since I was like 6 or 7.  It's in my blood.  I can't imagine not tuning into games on a summer night or a Sunday afternoon.  

But it's just ****ing unbelievable right now.

So the Orioles were historically bad and losers of 115 games, they're just beginning what promises to be a very long and painful rebuild, and the Red Sox won the World Series and they (and the Yankees) are built to win next year too.  Yep, this was easily the worst season ever for O's fans and I think I might take next summer off from baseball.

Happy for Steve Pearce, though.

Archived