Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Vaya Con Dios, Manny! The plight of the 2018 Orioles

Spaceman Spiff

Got back from today's game at Camden Yards.  For the first time since I can remember, I didn't even want to go.  But we got these tickets back in March - you know, when some people (including this fool) thought the O's could possibly contend for a wild card if certain pieces fell into place.  And the secondary market for Orioles tickets is rougher than trying to dump Skins preseason games, so it's either use the tickets to get into the game, or use them as toilet paper.

I don't care about the records, getting swept at home by the Red Sox is a total kick in the balls.  At least in the dark years pre-Buck, we could count on winning 1 in a series in which we were totally outmatched.  Now we just get ripped apart in all 4 games and it's not even close.  And the losing is expected.  Even if we have a multiple run lead, like Friday night, you just know they're going to blow it.

Easily the worst season I've ever endured for any of my teams.  And as a Skins and Caps fan, that's saying something.  

Anybody know the international signings DD said were coming?

I see a Carlos del Rosario and Moises Ramirez.

Jonathan Villar seems like a good pick up. 27 years old. Has some speed, seems like plus defense. Biggest thing is he fills the lead off hitter role better than anyone on our team prior to the trades.

I feel so bad for Schoop right now. Hes struggling. Brewers are not playing him everday now.

Is anybody still here?  I don't post a lot, but I've visited the O's threads almost daily for the past several years because some of you regulars have amazing insight that exceeds even what I read in the Baltimore Sun.

Even in this lost season, I still come here hoping for something, anything - encouraging news on some of our prospects, predictions for the off-season, witty comments about how bad [insert player from current lineup] is, maybe something positive to be found in the rubble of this charred and burned franchise with a gigantic mushroom cloud hanging over it.

Hello?.......

11 minutes ago, capcrunch98 said:

Is anybody still here?  I don't post a lot, but I've visited the O's threads almost daily for the past several years because some of you regulars have amazing insight that exceeds even what I read in the Baltimore Sun.

Even in this lost season, I still come here hoping for something, anything - encouraging news on some of our prospects, predictions for the off-season, witty comments about how bad [insert player from current lineup] is, maybe something positive to be found in the rubble of this charred and burned franchise with a gigantic mushroom cloud hanging over it.

Hello?.......

I'm pretty much waiting until Sept 1 when even more wholesale changes come.

9 minutes ago, capcrunch98 said:

Hello?.......

We are laying low my friend. TBH I havent watched this little of the Os in a long long time.

-Bundy is regressing but swears he is not injured.

- Gausman went to ATL and the pitching coach recommended he pitch out of the stretch all the time and that seems to be working for Gaus.

- Rays also got Pirates top pitching prospect Baz as player to be named later in addition to Meadows and Gaslnow. Compare that to what we got for Gausman and we got hosed in comparison for comparative pitchers.

- Mullins looks better than advertised.

- Os are bringing up a guy with pretty good OBP in the minors, forget his name. But I dont think he is a young prospect

- Villar looks decent. Kinda happy with that. At 27 he is under control for a few years and we have 0 middle infielder prospects that could have filled the spot

- Schoop hit a homer in PH duty last night. Good job johnny! Manny went 3-5 last night?

- Our SP now is abysmal outside of Cobb who is pitching to his mean now.

1 hour ago, justice98 said:

Gausman has had these hot stretches before though.  He had one at the beginning of the year.  A seven start stretch where he gave up 2, 3, 2, 2, 1, 0, 2.  

I still dont know why we traded him.

The best prospect we got in return seems to be the 2.5M in add'l International money .. which we havent spent yet. Consensus among OH seems to be that if they sign VVM, then it was a good enough deal for the Os. If they dont .. we kinda gave him away. 

1 hour ago, Why am I Mr. Pink? said:

I still dont know why we traded him.

The best prospect we got in return seems to be the 2.5M in add'l International money .. which we havent spent yet. Consensus among OH seems to be that if they sign VVM, then it was a good enough deal for the Os. If they dont .. we kinda gave him away. 

I wholeheartedly agree with what you said about what the Tampa.  They made out like bandits compared to us and got 2 promising ML-ready prospects.  Glasnow looks particularly nasty.

Gausman trade was 100% a salary dump of O’Days salary. It’s one of the dumbest ways to rebuild. I think in general DD did a poor job of getting returns in the schoop and Gausman deals. 

I’ve watched very little O’s baseball since all the trades. Keeping tabs on Mullins and watching his ABs occasionally. Mostly following the minors. 

It’s tough to the an O’s rebuild seriously if they keep CD. 

21 minutes ago, Hersh said:

Gausman trade was 100% a salary dump of O’Days salary. It’s one of the dumbest ways to rebuild. I think in general DD did a poor job of getting returns in the schoop and Gausman deals. 

I’ve watched very little O’s baseball since all the trades. Keeping tabs on Mullins and watching his ABs occasionally. Mostly following the minors. 

It’s tough to the an O’s rebuild seriously if they keep CD. 

I'm basically checking the box scores at this point, not really watching the games that much.  I probably catch a few innings here or there a few times a week.

8 minutes ago, justice98 said:

I'm basically checking the box scores at this point, not really watching the games that much.  I probably catch a few innings here or there a few times a week.

The only time I really have a concept of what's happening day-to-day is if my daily fantasy lineups lead me to an Orioles game. I'm still a huge fan, but just more focused on the macro state of the team, not how this iteration of the team does each night. 

6 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

The only time I really have a concept of what's happening day-to-day is if my daily fantasy lineups lead me to an Orioles game. I'm still a huge fan, but just more focused on the macro state of the team, not how this iteration of the team does each night. 

At this point, DD, Buck and Brady should all go. It's going to be a huge mistake to let DD stay. 

Archived