Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Vaya Con Dios, Manny! The plight of the 2018 Orioles

Spaceman Spiff

wtf.

Encarnacion is the Braves 14 or 21 st best prospect.

Cumberland is 26 to 30

Phillips is 34

Zimmerman is 18th

Not even a braves top 10 prospect for gausman with years of control ... why ****ing move gausman then? just to get rid of oday's contract?

http://prospects1500.com/top-50-lists/atlanta-braves-midseason-top-50-prospects-2/

http://m.mlb.com/prospects/2018?list=atl

Talk is it seems this was just a salary dump w Oday thrown in their to lessen our return. Sure looks like it.

Today was all about dumping salary. The overall return for the trades today, outside of the international money, is incredible weak for players under control. 

I thought DD did a good job with Manny and Britton trades. DD clearly has the attention of owners cause he said to trade everyone and bring team salary way down. 

My expectations for the O's going forward is that they will become the Rays. The O's had two extremely talented young players that they developed and both have been traded. (talking Manny and Schoop) This is how I expect them to operate going forward. 

Right, if that trade sheds O'Day's salary and positions us for VVM, I think it's fine. 

Schoop had just over a year of team control and wasn't coming back. We are likely a 100-loss team again in his final year, so I don't have a gripe with that return either. 

2 minutes ago, Hersh said:

Today was all about dumping salary. The overall return for the trades today, outside of the international money, is incredible weak for players under control. 

I thought DD did a good job with Manny and Britton trades. DD clearly has the attention of owners cause he said to trade everyone and bring team salary way down. 

My expectations for the O's going forward is that they will become the Rays. The O's had two extremely talented young players that they developed and both have been traded. (talking Manny and Schoop) This is how I expect them to operate going forward. 

I think we have to wait to see. 

They could be trying to rebuild their system so that they can establish a core and then add to it (either with salary or by trading prospects). You take the youth we got back, an international signing or two, plus the likely 2 top-3 picks in the next couple drafts and we could be in a good spot in a few years. 

I have no doubt Gausman will go and do great things with the Braves. I've always like his stuff, he just lacked that one little thing whatever it is. The Braves coaching staff will figure it out and he will win tons of games. He's the next Jake Arrieta.

I don't know how I feel about losing Schoop. He seems like someone you can build around.  I haven't read much about what we got in return but not loving the moves today so far. Our farm system should be much improved though - it better be.

16 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

Right, if that trade sheds O'Day's salary and positions us for VVM, I think it's fine. 

Schoop had just over a year of team control and wasn't coming back. We are likely a 100-loss team again in his final year, so I don't have a gripe with that return either. 

I think we have to wait to see. 

They could be trying to rebuild their system so that they can establish a core and then add to it (either with salary or by trading prospects). You take the youth we got back, an international signing or two, plus the likely 2 top-3 picks in the next couple drafts and we could be in a good spot in a few years. 

Not saying your wrong but I don't have a lot of interest in this plan. We've had 4 winning seasons over the last 20 years and now we are gonna suck for 3-4 years. 

1 minute ago, Bang said:

This is the saddest year as a fan i can remember.

damn

~bang

It's just amazing how quickly this thing blew up...

11 months ago to the day we were a couple games over .500 and vying for a playoff spot for the 4th time in 6 seasons. We fell short and bottomed out in the final month, but man it all happened quickly. 

In some ways it's fortunate that we are able to turn the page on everyone except Davis in the span of one season. By next April, he and Bundy may be the only main guys leftover from the 2012-2016 run! 

3 minutes ago, Hersh said:

Not saying your wrong but I don't have a lot of interest in this plan. We've had 4 winning seasons over the last 20 years and now we are gonna suck for 3-4 years. 

Wait - this plan as opposed to what plan? I don't see an alternative given where they let this go...

This plan (having to tear down and rebuild) was set into motion with things that happened a couple years ago: Davis contract, not extending Machado, signing the wrong power hitters, etc.

What else could they have done right now to win more quickly than 2021-2022?

What really stands out to me is what the Rays got for Archer, who is very similar to Gausman. Meadows was the bucs no. 2 overall prospect and Glasnow was their no. 1 in 2016 and 2017.

and we get the Braves 14th best prospect and some int'l money (we might not even spend)? Archer being under control for 1 more year than gausman is that big a difference maker imo.

9 minutes ago, Why am I Mr. Pink? said:

What really stands out to me is what the Rays got for Archer, who is very similar to Gausman. Meadows was the bucs no. 2 overall prospect and Glasnow was their no. 1 in 2016 and 2017.

and we get the Braves 14th best prospect and some int'l money (we might not even spend)? Archer being under control for 1 more year than gausman is that big a difference maker imo.

I thought that too, but Archer has a better track record than Gausman.  Just in a vacuum, if you laid out both guys, I'm taking Archer every time. If Gausman had been as consistent as Archer, we probably get a return like that.  Cuz I agree, Meadows and Glasnow in this one trade might be better than anybody we've gotten in all of these trades.

I'm taking a step back and exhaling after the past couple weeks...

We unloaded a number of ML players (five) who helped us win countless games during our own playoff seasons since 2012. For that, we have replenished the farm system with 15 players and added international money. At a macro level, that's the type of thing we all knew we needed to do pretty much since April...

Now, someone a lot more knowledgeable than me can decide if they could have done a little better on specific trades or waited until the off-season on others. But, I'm happy that we've mostly turned the page and have jumped into this rebuild with two feet. If we draft OK and add a few international studs, who knows how this thing looks moving forward. We also have more players/assets with which to trade...if there are other opportunities to add depth or talent, we are much better positioned now than we have been in quite a long time. 

2012-2016 was fun...it was a breath of fresh air after a stifling stretch of ineptitude. Hopefully this is step one toward rebuilding to our next competitive or contending team. 

42 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

It's just amazing how quickly this thing blew up...

11 months ago to the day we were a couple games over .500 and vying for a playoff spot for the 4th time in 6 seasons. We fell short and bottomed out in the final month, but man it all happened quickly. 

In some ways it's fortunate that we are able to turn the page on everyone except Davis in the span of one season. By next April, he and Bundy may be the only main guys leftover from the 2012-2016 run! 

Wait - this plan as opposed to what plan? I don't see an alternative given where they let this go...

This plan (having to tear down and rebuild) was set into motion with things that happened a couple years ago: Davis contract, not extending Machado, signing the wrong power hitters, etc.

What else could they have done right now to win more quickly than 2021-2022?

Addition by subtraction to start. I'm fine with trading Gausman and O'Day. I'm not okay with the idea that the O's need to drastically cut salary this much in order to spend on the international market. The number simply don't add up. 

There is no excuse to having Mark Trumbo on this team next season. I'd keep Jones another 2 years with maybe a team option. Extend Schoop and start cycling in OF prospects for cover both CF and LF. The O's would still have a relatively low salary and could move prospects where this is a surplus, for a top SS prospect elsewhere. 

If we get VVM all the better. Now you'd have Mullins, VVM and Jones in the OF, with Stewart, Hays, McKenna, Diaz and Santander should anyone fail. 

That is ammunition to make trades for a SS or 3rd base prospect and short of that, there is money to upgrade defensively at SS while a guy like Mountcastle gives 3rd base a try. 

That would give you a lineup something like:

Mullins

Jones

Schoop

Mancini

Mountcastle

VVM

CD

Shortstop

Catcher (the top of the next draft has some stud college catchers)

This sets the team up to win in 2020 if done right with lots of resources on hand to win long term. Remember, the O's are already 2 years into being bad and getting better draft picks. There isn't a need tank for multiple more years. 

Anyway, I won't be as invested in this organization going forward especially when the pattern becomes trading away their best players as they approach free agency.  

I think people are seriously underestimating how long this rebuild is going to be. It's not just competing against the Sox and Yanks that's problematic. I'm worried about the Jays as well. They have money to spend and the top of their farm system is ridiculously good. 

8 hours ago, Hersh said:

I think people are seriously underestimating how long this rebuild is going to be. It's not just competing against the Sox and Yanks that's problematic. I'm worried about the Jays as well. They have money to spend and the top of their farm system is ridiculously good. 

I think for the Orioles to be able to compete in the years to come they need to be .500 against the East and whup up on everyone else.  

I’m totally checking out for awhile as the passionate O’s fan I’ve been. I’m sure I’ll still check in occasionally but I’m tired of the losing and total dysfunction. I have gone through this with the Skins so I can tell I’m there now with the O’s. My Sunday’s during football season are a lot better so I’m thinking this will be good too 

13 minutes ago, Hersh said:

I’m totally checking out for awhile as the passionate O’s fan I’ve been. I’m sure I’ll still check in occasionally but I’m tired of the losing and total dysfunction. I have gone through this with the Skins so I can tell I’m there now with the O’s. My Sunday’s during football season are a lot better so I’m thinking this will be good too 

I don't even know who you are right now.

11 hours ago, Hersh said:

Personally, I'm not making any sort of guesses yet on when we can compete. The reason I'm OK with any moves that bring back youth is because I'm pretty convinced of a few things: 

1) We aren't going to be competing while most of these current guys are controllable (before 2021)

2) We need a huge infusion of minor league talent before we can even talk about our next contending major league team

3) The current major league team wasn't going to contend with tweaks or a couple additions

Because of all that, I'm not too worried about the specific return in each trade. We added 15 minor league players, many of whom have to slot in better than some of what we had. That's improvement. We also added the capacity to bring in some high-ceiling international players who should crack our top-20 prospects. Then you throw in what's nearly certain to be top-5 picks for 2-3 years and you have yourself a potential nucleus. 

Let's see what this and other moves over the next year or so yields. Will it definitely work out? Of course not...but I'd rather focus on the product in the minors for a couple years. We can hopefully uncover some major league talent and additional assets that let us fill out a roster. 

2 hours ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

I don't even know who you are right now.

Now that was funny. 

I just don’t want to invest in an organization that doesn’t even talk to its good young players about extensions then trades them off. I know the O’s weren’t gonna sign Manny whether they could or not, but how do they not even talk extension with a young all-star second baseman?

Having good players here for a long time is necessary for me as a fan. A roster that is constantly going to be turned over is something I have no interest in seeing. 

Archived