Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins receiving corp is beginning to shape up

Burgold

3 hours ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Well there's a group of people calling for us to unload our veterans and rebuild from scratch with all youth.

At least they should be really happy with our WR's

I am happy! 😂

Edited by ksun247
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, HTTRDynasty said:

So, I’m guessing our starting WR trio is now McLaurin, Richardson, and Quinn?  Not exactly the most physically imposing group but we’ll be  a speedy crew with good route-running. 

Speeeeeeeed. 

Who needs physicality in today’s NFL. 

I don’t think a quick passing game is the worst thing ever. Especially if we let the rookie throw the ball at some point. 

I feel like this is a more future looking move to be honest. We will see. I’m not upset about it. I hope they can run block. 

So our WRs will be 1 mediocre vet who can't stay healthy and a bunch of low round/UDFA guys who have never caught a ball in an NFL game (with one mid rounder thrown in and one exception in Quinn, who has caught 9 balls). This should be...interesting. We could end up with a surprisingly decent group...or the absolute worst in the NFL. We definitely have the most inexperienced squad. I know that everyone is hyped about our young guys and their potential but remember that pretty much none of these guys have gone up against starting DBs in a game, let alone top tier starters. I'm predicting that these young guys will be shut down by opposing teams pretty easily due to their inexperience and lack of elite skills. That's going to cause problems because teams can then stack the box on every down to stop the run game.

Add to that Gruden's conservative play calling and inability to adjust and think our offense could be really really bad this season. 

• Like 3

I like the WR group we kept.  I agree with every decision they made for once, although I'd like to eventually be able to replace Richardson with a better player too.

Doctson was a dead end player and didn't deserve to take up a roster spot or reps over Harmon.  He was a major disappointment.  Harmon is going to be better than him by the end of the season.

Quick is a jag.  Kidsy is a jag.  Cam Sims is a jag.  Davis and Sims Jr deserved to make it over those three.  They are much better special teams players.

Harmon should be our fourth WR this season IMO, and get a lot of snaps in the slot.  Then maybe he transitions to a role on the outside as he gets better.  We've got something real in him.  McLaurin and Quinn are pretty good too, but I don't think either of them have a chance to be special.  I think Harmon does.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, desertbeagle85 said:

Looks like this is one smart guy. 😉

You were dead on.  I'm surprised they cut Doctson, I really thought they were going to keep him and cut Harmon and I was sharpening my pitchfork in preparation for the move.

It's a pleasant surprise.  Dare I say I'm actually optimistic about this receiver group?

• Like 1

On 8/29/2019 at 10:46 PM, Jericho said:

Months of rankings undone by one pre-season game?

I think we have confirmed that as a big fat yes.  I saw the passing of the torch happening a guy on the bubble cannot drop 3 passes in his final audition and expect to make it, when a player with the same last name at the same position is dominating, and is cut from the speedy WR mode taking over the league.

Edited by RandyHolt

8 minutes ago, RandyHolt said:

I think we have confirmed that as a big fat yes.  I saw the passing of the torch happening a guy on the bubble cannot drop 3 passes in his final audition and expect to make it, when a player with the same last name at the same position is dominating, and is cut from the speedy WR mode taking over the league.

It also proves that the final preseason game is definitely not meaningless, but it can make a player, not just break him.

At the same time Cam was decreasing his stock, Steven was increasing it.

Like it was all meant to be.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

It also proves that the final preseason game is definitely not meaningless, but it can make a player, not just break him.

At the same time Cam was decreasing his stock, Steven was increasing it.

Like it was all meant to be.

I did hear Jay show his hand about 2 weeks ago, talking about Quinn out, and named Sims and then Kidsy as his backups.... in that order. Up until then consensus seemed to be Kidsy. Maybe random, or more like SS was climbing the ladder and what happened game 4 was the final straw. 

Congrafs to Harmon I thought Sims was ahead of him and was a PS cut candidate 3 weeks ago  :ols:

Edited by RandyHolt

4 hours ago, mistertim said:

So our WRs will be 1 mediocre vet who can't stay healthy and a bunch of low round/UDFA guys who have never caught a ball in an NFL game (with one mid rounder thrown in and one exception in Quinn, who has caught 9 balls). This should be...interesting. We could end up with a surprisingly decent group...or the absolute worst in the NFL. We definitely have the most inexperienced squad. I know that everyone is hyped about our young guys and their potential but remember that pretty much none of these guys have gone up against starting DBs in a game, let alone top tier starters. I'm predicting that these young guys will be shut down by opposing teams pretty easily due to their inexperience and lack of elite skills. That's going to cause problems because teams can then stack the box on every down to stop the run game.

Add to that Gruden's conservative play calling and inability to adjust and think our offense could be really really bad this season. 

Sadly, your view of the future seems likely. It'll probably be a long season. The problems on the OL also don't help either

1 hour ago, RandyHolt said:

We'll see if it was a smart decision. It seems really knee-jerk, which is a terrible way to make decisions. Of course this "battle" is between two UDFA receivers to see who gets the final spot on probably the worst WR group in the league. Which is kind of like rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic. Either would likely be replaced once better options come around. Even if that means a year from now at the 2020 draft.

2 hours ago, RandyHolt said:

That last preseason game definitely didn't help Sims but I doubt it was the only thing that led to his demise. I'd read multiple reports from camp about Sims saying that, while he made some impressive catches at times and was obviously a really big body, his route running was more or less consistently sloppy and he didn't seem to be getting much better at it. So he didn't get a lot of separation and relied purely on his size and physical abilities to make catches. There were also reported dropsies on easy passes, which he showcased in front of us all on Thursday as well. 

I was never all that into him as I think he's a JAG at best in the league. Probably won't be in the NFL much longer most likely. Size and the occasional circus catch will only get you so far in the league. 

53 minutes ago, RandyHolt said:

Run run short pass punt / bend dont break. We may not top 200 yards passing in a game until Haskins starts.

It's painful but I think we're going to be seeing quite a bit of that. Though I disagree with your second sentence. We may not top 200 yards a game period. 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, BRAVEONTHEWARPATH93 said:

This passing offense may somehow be worse than the 2004 one. 

Goodness

Was that when we unveiled the vaunted Run-n-Short Offense?

1 hour ago, desertbeagle85 said:

Our Veterans?

You mean Doctson the bust? 

Can't spell BUST without DOCTSON.

giphy.gif

• Like 1