Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins receiving corp is beginning to shape up

Burgold

1 minute ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

He hasn't thrown a WR TD because look at we have at WR.

Yes, Smith is a dink and dunk QB, but Grant is a dink and dunk type WR.

That's why I think it's a perfect match.

Grant would not be the slot guy here, that's Crowder. Anyone on the outside is going to be a afterthought.

And I was not referring to this year. I was referring to 2013 season. Where he had Dwanye Bowe, Dexter McCluster, and Donnie Avery.

1 minute ago, Morneblade said:

Grant would not be the slot guy here, that's Crowder. Anyone on the outside is going to be a afterthought.

Well like I said, injuries are part of the reason I made the statement...and hindsight. Gruden is now saying that Crowder could be out for up to an additional 4 weeks. In this scenario, Grant would be very valuable.

Just now, Malapropismic Depository said:

Well like I said, injuries are part of the reason I made the statement...and hindsight. Gruden is now saying that Crowder could be out for up to an additional 4 weeks. In this scenario, Grant would be very valuable.

Grant isn't any good. Mo Harris is a better WR IMO.

1 hour ago, Morneblade said:

Grant isn't any good. Mo Harris is a better WR IMO.

I am really curious what Harris has done to convince you that he is better than Grant.

If I had to choose right now between Harris and Grant, I take Grant in a heartbeat

For the sake of brevity, and for one example, one thing that Grant offers over Harris is consistency ; which is also the main quality lacking in all of our wide receivers.

54 minutes ago, Vanguard said:

Can we make a move please?  Might as well go after Thomas from Denver.  Somebody.....

Sounds like Gruden is waiting to see how long Crowder and Richardson will be out.

3 hours ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

I am really curious what Harris has done to convince you that he is better than Grant.

Harris doesn't fall down all the time for no apparent reason.

3 hours ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

If I had to choose right now between Harris and Grant, I take Grant in a heartbeat

For the sake of brevity, and for one example, one thing that Grant offers over Harris is consistency ; which is also the main quality lacking in all of our wide receivers.

Consistent at what? Falling down? I'll give you that.

Actually, Harris has been more consistent as far as completion % goes. Much smaller sample size however.

I like Harris more because he doesn't fall down all the time, can make a big play and has been more consistent. Neither are physically gifted, but MO is bigger and does use his body to block out DB's.

Also, he doesn't fall down.

@bird_1972 I don’t believe that at all. I’m not some Alex lover but he’s 6 games into a new system with new receivers (who have not been available to practice on and off for a while) and he is obviously not comfortable with it yet. 

I think it will improve, I think this is the floor we are seeing. It’s gotta be, right? Idk, that’s the hope anyhow.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, COWBOY-KILLA- said:

@bird_1972 I don’t believe that at all. I’m not some Alex lover but he’s 6 games into a new system with new receivers (who have not been available to practice on and off for a while) and he is obviously not comfortable with it yet. 

I think it will improve, I think this is the floor we are seeing. It’s gotta be, right? Idk, that’s the hope anyhow.

I think we've seen both his floor and ceiling. Ceiling was week 1, Floor was NO and last week.

@Morneblade  I don't think we've seen anywhere close to his ceiling. He hasn't looked comfortable for 4 quarters. He's still thinking,  imo.  Either it's the Oline getting dominated, the receivers looking sluggish, or him just being downright inaccurate, the Sprinkle pass last weekend. He's proven the ability throughout his career to throw for  3+ td's in a game, 1-4 times a season...  We haven't seen that yet, I think we will at some point.  

Edited by COWBOY-KILLA-

25 minutes ago, COWBOY-KILLA- said:

@Morneblade  I don't think we've seen anywhere close to his ceiling. He hasn't looked comfortable for 4 quarters. He's still thinking,  imo.  Either it's the Oline getting dominated, the receivers looking sluggish, or him just being downright inaccurate, the Sprinkle pass last weekend. He's proven the ability throughout his career to throw for  3+ td's in a game, 1-4 times a season...  We haven't seen that yet, I think we will at some point.  

https://www.footballdb.com/players/alex-smith-smithal04/300-yard-passing-games

Sigh................................you have no idea, do you. Well, I'll show you, but it's not going to be pretty.

In 14 years, Smith has Twelve 300+ yard games.

Twelve.

That's not even 1 per season, and we're including playoffs here as well.

In 14 years, he has 3 games with 4 TD's and 4 with 3 TD's.

7 games of 3+td's in 14 years

That is no 1-4 a season. That is 1 every 2 seasons. And yes, playoffs are included.

You had no idea, did you?

I did.

Edited by Morneblade
  • Sad 1

@Morneblade

What I said was he's proven he can throw for 3+ TD's 1-4 times a season. And he has, the proof is below. Interpret it how you like, but the discussion was on if we've seen his best, and the fact is we haven't and he has 3TD + capability in him at least 1-4 games a season. He's done it 20 times in his career, with more than half of those coming in the last 5 years.

2017- 4 games of 3+ TD's

2015- 1 game of 3+ TD's

2014- 2 games of 3+ TD's

2013- 4 total games of 3+ TD's (1 was in the playofffs)

2012- 2 games of 3+ TD's

2011- 2 games of 3+ TD's (1 was in the playoffs)

2010- 2 games of 3+ TD's

2009- 2 games of 3+ TD's

2006- 1 game of 3+ TD's 

All I'm saying is we have not seen his best work yet, imo.  No more no less. 

2 minutes ago, COWBOY-KILLA- said:

@Morneblade

What I said was he's proven he can throw for 3+ TD's 1-4 times a season. And he has, the proof is below. Interpret it how you like, but the discussion was on if we've seen his best, and the fact is we haven't and he has 3TD + capability in him at least 1-4 games a season. He's done it 20 times in his career, with more than half of those coming in the last 5 years.

2017- 4 games of 3+ TD's

2015- 1 game of 3+ TD's

2014- 2 games of 3+ TD's

2013- 4 total games of 3+ TD's (1 was in the playofffs)

2012- 2 games of 3+ TD's

2011- 2 games of 3+ TD's (1 was in the playoffs)

2010- 2 games of 3+ TD's

2009- 2 games of 3+ TD's

2006- 1 game of 3+ TD's 

All I'm saying is we have not seen his best work yet, imo.  No more no less. 

Source?

Not doubting, I just want to look at it. Mine was apparently wrong on both TD's and yards.

46 minutes ago, COWBOY-KILLA- said:

@Morneblade

His career game log stats, just go year by year. 

http://www.nfl.com/player/alexsmith/2506340/gamelogs?season=2005

Gotcha. Had to go through year by year. That is where I goofed, I was lazy and didn't feel like doing that. Thought I could go and find a place that had already done the grunt work. I should have done it myself. Good job slugging through 14 years of stats. :cheers:

• Like 1

I think a lot of us are living in the post-2016 season hype when we think about Crowder. He's good, but he hasn't been a gamechanging player since then (well, he was last year when he fumbled games away). Are we perfectly set up in the slot, no, but it is the easiest WR position to play and the dropoff isn't drastic from Crowder to whoever we slide in there. 

I'm glad to see Quinn is on his way to returning soon. He flashed before he got injured and if he can keep it up over the second half of the season then parting ways with Crowder at the end of the season will be an easy decision.

For all of the crap that the FO gets, it's a very real possibility that we'll replace a WR who will likely make $8M+ and gift us a comp pick for Mr. Irrelevant. 

• Like 1

I just don't get why some people think that throwing random FA WRs at the passing game is going to help. Smith historically doesn't throw all that often to his outside WRs (unless he has a game breaking elite one who gets super open often ala Tyreek Hill). He also just doesn't look comfortable out there right now and seems really hesitant to pull the trigger way too often. Hopefully that will improve as he gets more comfortable in the system and with his WRs in game situations. But going out and spending a draft pick to get a guy who likely also won't get many targets (or paying a bunch for a headache like Dez) isn't going to help.

• Like 4

DJax and Pierre are being shopped which is intriguing to me only because they know our offense.  Otherwise, seeing them get 5 targets and 3 for 21 isn't very appealing.

Alex seems to need a lot more reps with his WRs to gain trust and chemistry. The cost vs benefit of not using starters in preseason part 100... how many years have we been at this?  I think for a team with a new QB, coaches need to risk injury much more than they do to get the needed reps.  Football is not like hockey, which has it's preseason spanning 90+ games and 6 months. Our passing game looks like it is in preseason mode.

Edited by RandyHolt

10 hours ago, Morneblade said:

Gotcha. Had to go through year by year. That is where I goofed, I was lazy and didn't feel like doing that. Thought I could go and find a place that had already done the grunt work. I should have done it myself. Good job slugging through 14 years of stats. :cheers:

Ouch... “I did” lol

I respect your fervor in all things Alex related.  Seriously. Will be fun to see it all unfold. Also, I’ve been there in totally botching stats, especially when seeing what we want to see. To your point though, Alex will not become some stat monster. 

4 minutes ago, RandyHolt said:

DJax and Pierre are being shopped which is intriguing to me only because they know our offense.  Otherwise, seeing them get 5 targets and 3 for 21 isn't very appealing.

Alex seems to need a lot more reps with his WRs to gain trust and chemistry. The cost vs benefit of not using starters in preseason part 100... how many years have we been at this?  I think for a team with a new QB, coaches need to risk injury much more than they do to get the needed reps.  Football is not like hockey, which has it's preseason spanning 90+ games and 6 months. Our passing game looks like it is in preseason mode.

Wonder what Djax’s contract has left and Richardson’s long term health. In past years I’d be okay with doing whatever, but now don’t want to risk carry over money to resign guys next year. Especially because Scherff is going to require Skins overpaying for what a guard is worth, but he’s a must resign either way. 

6 minutes ago, RandyHolt said:

I'm actually more upset about this, than I am with Alex.  I know all the talk about being ready to execute now, but it was all hollow coach speak.  There was no realistic way he was going to be able to walk in day 1 and be what he was last year.  Not with Jays system and what he's trying to accomplish.  Not with the talent level we have on the outside.  If we had supreme talent on the outside, who were healthy for the duration of camp / preseason / weeks 1-5, we'd be having a different conversation right now.  

Our big advantage at TE last week, never panned out. Reed and Davis combined for 2 catches, while the bozTEs had 4.  I am not sure we can count on our TEs to carry us if we continue to get little production from our wideouts. Reed and Davis both seem to have their innings... TOI... err snap counts monitored closely.

Edited by RandyHolt