Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Let's All Get Behind Alex Smith! Or Not!! (M.E.T.) NO kirk talk---that goes in ATN forum

Veryoldschool

Just now, KDawg said:

Why? I'm not sure why anyone believed the 6-8 month recovery time. I'd say it'll be closer to a year before he's actually ready.

That was the original report and then today Glazer came out with this news, also Jay said 6-8 months at his presser but its Jay so.

10 hours ago, KDawg said:

Why? I'm not sure why anyone believed the 6-8 month recovery time. I'd say it'll be closer to a year before he's actually ready.

Watching my son heal from an easier version (no compound fracture) of that same injury, I always thought the 6-8 month time line seemed insane.  He's 8 months into healing -- and he's not even running.  We can't get clearance for him to play flag football probably for at least another 4 months.   That's flag football.  That's with the doctor saying kids his age heal much faster than adults.  The other thing I know from that injury is you don't really know how fast and how good it will heal until it heals, he has to take periodic x-rays to see how its going.

That's my long winded way of saying I believe Glazers 8-10 month and Schefter's reporter that its a long road.  I'd actually be surprised if its 10 months, I'd think at least a year.  It's one thing to get the foot right, its another thing to allow it to handle contact. 

18 hours ago, UK SKINS FAN '74 said:

Short week won't matter, McCoy has had over 4 years to practice.

I've never been a Colt guy.  I recall even saying when we had the 2014 QB debate and an infamous thread discussing it, I could live with anything but Colt.   Colt to me at the time I saw as a weak armed, injury prone, Rex Grossman.  Anyone with about a 1:1 TD-INT ratio isn't good.   Heck on this very thread, coming from someone who was unimpressed with Alex's season, I still didn't advocate benching him for Colt.  I flirted with the idea but outright said I wouldn't do it more than once.

Having said that, I noticed all the Colt has improved in all phases rap from beat guys who have heard it from coaches.  That he strengthened his arm.  That Jay thought he was starting caliber.  On and on. So I was jazzed to see if that was true.  Based on yesterday alone, he looked to me as same old Colt.  He played with moxie, had good wheels, was decisive.  But his throws at times were ducks.  His arm didn't look new and improved to me.  But worse was just the odd decisions he can make out of nowhere with the ball.   Still, I'll give him a break.  No practice with the #1's.  Short week.  Dallas' defense is fierce.   He had no running game help.  And the defense forced him to play catch up. 

For those thinking Alex would have done better -- based on what?  Alex winning the game coming from behind let alone with a bad defense AND bad running game in play?  If so cite me the apples to apples game where he did so.  Now is Alex better than Colt?  That could be.  As I said on this thread, they both strike me as mediocre QBs (unless Alex regains his 2017 form) on the opposite sides of the spectrum.  Alex conservative and doesn't move the ball.    Colt moves the ball but not enough to offset his turnover gene.  However, I think Colt deserves a longer sample size than one game under the most adverse situations.  So I am not ruling out the new and improved Colt, yet.

7 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

I agree with everything you said, but I’m firm that any talk about his arm being strong or stronger than what it used to be is a fairy tale.  

Yeah I said so in 2017, watching him in camp, and it was an off hand observation/comment at the time because I didn't think Colt would be relevant.  But here we are. 

11 hours ago, KDawg said:

It's not like it's far off.  There's overlap, so if he comes back in 8 months, the initial report will still have been accurate.

But there's aspects of the recovery that we just cant account for, like his personal healing factor, diligence in rehab, how soon does he feel comfortable at the tail end, etc.  

3 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Watching my son heal from an easier version (no compound fracture) of that same injury, I always thought the 6-8 month time line seemed insane.  He's 8 months into healing -- and he's not even running.  We can't get clearance for him to play flag football probably for at least another 4 months.   That's flag football.  That's with the doctor saying kids his age heal much faster than adults.  The other thing I know from that injury is you don't really know how fast and how good it will heal until it heals, he has to take periodic x-rays to see how its going.

That's my long winded way of saying I believe Glazers 8-10 month and Schefter's reporter that its a long road.  I'd actually be surprised if its 10 months, I'd think at least a year.  It's one thing to get the foot right, its another thing to allow it to handle contact. 

I posted when the injury happened that I was watching the game with a close friend and his wife, who is a doctor.  We rewound the play several times to look at it, and she said, that from what she saw, that it was going to take a long-time for him to recover.  She said she doubted he would play next season, never mind again this season, and that she wouldn't be surprised at his age and his style of play if it wasn't his career.  This was before we even knew it was a compound fracture.  So, when people started saying 6 - 8 months recovery time, i was very doubtful that we were getting the truth about the situation.  Either the injury reports were false and not as bad as were being reported, or the timeline was misleading. 

3 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

For those thinking Alex would have done better -- based on what?  Alex winning the game coming from behind let alone with a bad defense AND bad running game in play?  If so cite me the apples to apples game where he did so.  Now is Alex better than Colt?  That could be.  As I said on this thread, they both strike me as mediocre QBs (unless Alex regains his 2017 form) on the opposite sides of the spectrum.  Alex conservative and doesn't move the ball.    Colt moves the ball but not enough to offset his turnover gene.  However, I think Colt deserves a longer sample size than one game under the most adverse situations.  So I am not ruling out the new and improved Colt, yet.

Having an identity, a plan of attack, a known/predictable variable at the QB spot (however you view Smith, his teammates know what to expect), a manager of the game that values both the micro & macro of decisions made in a game— sole purpose to win. 

I will readily admit, if you didn’t see some of this lacking in Colt, then no middle ground will ever take place lol

With that said, I still think Colt has a shot and can shine in a game or two, but in others he must not lose the game for team. 

2 hours ago, wit33 said:

Having an identity, a plan of attack, a known/predictable variable at the QB spot (however you view Smith, his teammates know what to expect), a manager of the game that values both the micro & macro of decisions made in a game— sole purpose to win. 

if its so great to have that static variable of 178 yards, 62% completion, a touchdown and change a game and a turnover every other game or whatever -- then what's with all this complaining from the coaching staff and to a lesser extent the FO?  Just listen to some of Finlay's broadcasts among others. 

And no they aren't being negative just to be negative and or I am just hearing what fits my preconceptions.  These same dudes were warning us during the contract negotiations a year ago -- don't listen to what's been said publicly, here's what's been said privately.  Ditto in 2014 as to RG3.  It all played out like they said it would.  And I have no vibe that the coaching staff sees the dude like you see it.

2 hours ago, wit33 said:

I will readily admit, if you didn’t see some of this lacking in Colt, then no middle ground will ever take place lol

I didn't comment on the predictability or not of Colt -- I've been flat out saying he's turnover prone and Colt is the opposite extreme of Alex.   

I'll give you this no one has stood by Alex and that contract as solidly as you.  Others have wavered at times and conceded some ground.  Heck some of the biggest Alex will be great in Jay's system pundits from around the league from the off season have done mea culpas in interviews saying they were wrong.  Heck I myself said Alex would play well and he's a good QB -- I was wrong on that front, too at least thus far.  Things happen, opinions change. 

IMO you've become so wrapped up in defending your narrative about Alex and turnovers are the be all and end all that's its tough to have an objective conversation with you without it resorting to the same thing over and over again.   Heck I can converse with really pro Alex people and they will admit to me that yeah the other units have to lead the way not Alex -- you have a hard time even conceding that.

1 hour ago, Taylor 36 said:

I posted when the injury happened that I was watching the game with a close friend and his wife, who is a doctor.  We rewound the play several times to look at it, and she said, that from what she saw, that it was going to take a long-time for him to recover.  She said she doubted he would play next season, never mind again this season, and that she wouldn't be surprised at his age and his style of play if it wasn't his career.  This was before we even knew it was a compound fracture.  So, when people started saying 6 - 8 months recovery time, i was very doubtful that we were getting the truth about the situation.  Either the injury reports were false and not as bad as were being reported, or the timeline was misleading. 

Yeah the only wild card to me is healing is very dependent/fluid on the specific person so there is some random luck to the process.    But on the surface, I'd be shocked if he's ready to start the season and I'd be mildly surprised if he plays at all next year.  My son's surgery was about 15 minutes long.  He had the less serious version of the same broken bones and is at an age where you heal quicker.    It will likely take him at least 12 months before he can play sports.  But who knows like I said every one heals differently. 

I thînk the reality is that this team, this season, is winning or losing based on its defensive performance. Smith, and now Colt, in their own ways would generally keep us in or around the opponent.

Once the defence falters, were screwed because we arent coming back on teams that often. That's why Gruden should have gone on 4th down, trailing 17-13 I think. Next thing Cooper goes 90. That's twice this years he's bottled a pivotal 4th down call.

The decision for next year may well be ride the average horse at QB and continue to build a defensive force. 

Until this team hires a legit DC the defense will continue to suck..Look at the Cowboys D-Line as proof..They have a bunch of jags on the D-Line ,but they always give max effort and fly to the ball..Redskins need a Gregg Williams type DC who would be all over your ass if you don't give maximum effort.

18 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

if its so great to have that static variable of 178 yards, 62% completion, a touchdown and change a game and a turnover every other game or whatever -- then what's with all this complaining from the coaching staff and to a lesser extent the FO?  Just listen to some of Finlay's broadcasts among others. 

The use of word “great” is an attempt to deviate from my consistent message of set of intangibles Smith provides. 

Alex this year complimented and contributed to team wins this year, some more than others. Smith helped establish a brand of football— smash mouth football. This is wasn’t going to lead to a Super Bowl, so I’d never use the word GREAT for Smith or team this year. 

I will not hide from fact that the team had an identity each game. The impact of this variable is huge when you’re an average to above average team lumped in with 15-20 other teams. Once again, great wouldn’t be word I’d use for this team, but a playoff run was a strong possibility. Less now. 

And no they aren't being negative just to be negative and or I am just hearing what fits my preconceptions.  These same dudes were warning us during the contract negotiations a year ago -- don't listen to what's been said publicly, here's what's been said privately.  Ditto in 2014 as to RG3.  It all played out like they said it would.  And I have no vibe that the coaching staff sees the dude like you see it.

It’s obvious to all the offense wasn’t clicking on all cylinders. Jay expressed similar frustrations with run game and AP missing things at times. Maybe a bit more appreciation for Alex and his brand of football grew a bit from coaches. 

I did wish Gruden would’ve embraced the smash mouth style of football a bit more, though he did try to acknowledge all the positives of Alex each time when commenting on things passing game needed to improve, but that gets disregarded. 

I didn't comment in the predictability or not of Colt -- I've been flat out saying he's turnover prone and Colt is the opposite extreme of Alex.   

Alex is a predictable variable at the QB spot. This has tremendous value in the NFL. Not a lot of teams have this. 

I'll give you this no one has stood by Alex and that contract as solidly as you.  Others have wavered at times and conceded some ground.  Heck some of the biggest Alex will be great in Jay's system pundits from around the league from the off season have done mea culpas in interviews saying they were wrong.  Heck I myself said Alex would play well and he's a good QB -- I was wrong on that front, too at least thus far.  Things happen, opinions change. 

Nah man, I was okay with the move coming in and have stated he’s average to above average at best. Been super consistent with this. My expectation for season is driven by winning/playoffs. Smith was contributing to accomplishing this. Yes, some games more than others (True for most guys grouped in his tier, whatever tier of QBs you or anyone puts him in). 

IMO you've become so wrapped up in defending your narrative about Alex and turnovers are the be all and end all that's its tough to have an objective conversation with you without it resorting to the same thing over and over again.   Heck I can converse with really pro Alex people and they will admit to me that yeah the other units have to lead the way not Alex -- you have a hard time even conceding that.

Football is a nuanced game—- This is what I’m wrapped up in. 

Thats fine, I’m okay with saying other units have lead the way. I will also say Alex has contributed to the team’s success and helped establish an identity/brand of football for the 2018 season. Not at all inconsistent with what he’s done for last half of his career. 

21 minutes ago, bh32 said:

Until this team hires a legit DC the defense will continue to suck..Look at the Cowboys D-Line as proof..They have a bunch of jags on the D-Line ,but they always give max effort and fly to the ball..Redskins need a Gregg Williams type DC who would be all over your ass if you don't give maximum effort.

Defense is so far behind right now. Awaiting the next transcendent scheme. It will take a  young coach with balls to go against the grain. 

7 minutes ago, wit33 said:

from my consistent message of set of intangibles Smith provides. 

I agree you've been consistent with it.  Doesn't matter whether he runs out of bounds which almost cost them a game, calls time outs that burn them later, gets the ball handed in scoring position and they go backward and get nothing.  

10 minutes ago, wit33 said:

Smith helped establish a brand of football— smash mouth football.

I don't think Peterson's resurgence is due to Alex.  My point is if Robert Kelley was the starting RB, good luck with a smash mouth running game. 

13 minutes ago, wit33 said:

It’s obvious to all the offense wasn’t clicking on all cylinders. Jay expressed similar frustrations with run game and AP missing things at times. Maybe a bit more appreciation for Alex and his brand of football grew a bit from coaches. 

If it grew they were keeping it from Keim, Finlay and others.  But agree it could grow with Colt starting.  I think it could be an interesting dichotomy one extreme to another.  I don't think either QB is terrible but both mediocre.  As I've said on this thread before, I'd take the non turnover version of mediocre over Colt's version typically.  But the word mediocre being the operative point.  

The most intriguing part of Colt to me is how much Jay supposedly digs him and how Colt supposedly improved over the years.  We got a bit of the unknown cooking here like with any typical backup QB.  And I am still open about it.   And in fairness to Alex, if he was playing still, my mind was still open that he could improve.  My argument with you was how he's played thus far but as for arguments about how well he'd play moving forward -- I was open to improvement from him.   Coming off that injury now, am not so sure. 

20 minutes ago, wit33 said:

I don't see much nuance in your points -- that's what I was actually getting to.  Unless nuance is defined by disclaimers.   To each their own, though

24 minutes ago, wit33 said:

Defense is so far behind right now. Awaiting the next transcendent scheme. It will take a  young coach with balls to go against the grain. 

Is this a theme brewing with you about our coaching staff or an isolated point?

27 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Why not let my entire thought be present in your response, even you choose to isolate a piece to respond to? Genuinely curious, not attempting to be snarky. 

I agree you've been consistent with it.  Doesn't matter whether he runs out of bounds which almost cost them a game, calls time outs that burn them later, gets the ball handed in scoring position and they go backward and get nothing.  

It hasn’t been perfect. But overall his game management with things above were good. 

I don't think Peterson's resurgence is due to Alex.  My point is if Robert Kelley was the starting RB, good luck with a smash mouth running game. 

Peterson resurgence is being a top 20 back, let’s not go overboard, but yes, Alex and the offense NEEDED a top 20 back to start the year. 

If it grew they were keeping it from Keim, Finlay and others.  But agree it could grow with Colt starting.  I think it could be an interesting dichotomy one extreme to another.  I don't think either QB is terrible but both mediocre.  As I've said on this thread before, I'd take the non turnover version of mediocre over Colt's version typically.  But the word mediocre being the operative point.  

Your boy Finlay was beginning to see the light. :) 

Its a non discussion for me if trying to compare Colt to Alex and let’s me know the level of disdain you have for Alex lol. Cool. 

Alex is a pro man. A franchise QB with years of history. Colt would dream to have career has had. 

The most intriguing part of Colt to me is how much Jay supposedly digs him and how Colt supposedly improved over the years.  We got a bit of the unknown cooking here like with any typical backup QB.  And I am still open about it.   And in fairness to Alex, if he was playing still, my mind was still open that he could improve.  My argument with you was how he's played thus far but as for arguments about how well he'd play moving forward -- I was open to improvement from him.   Coming off that injury now, am not so sure. 

I thought Alex was contributing to team’s identity while working with Jay to get on same page with passing game. 

I agree Alex’s stock has dropped significantly after the injury and the prospects of a return don’t excite me. Sucks. 

I don't see much nuance in your points -- that's what I was actually getting to.  Unless nuance is defined by disclaimers.   To each their own, though

I live in nuance lol

You dont agree with the nuances I share, that’s cool. Disclaimers, huh? 

Is this a theme brewing with you about our coaching staff or an isolated point?

It was comment about defense as a whole in the NFL, but yes, I feel our coaching staff lacks ingenuity and has failed to adapt to the ever changing NFL and its new rules. 

12 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Just when I think the doo doo can’t get any deeper, Alex is being credited with establishing “smash mouth football”.

Wow.

Im pretty sure smash mouth football is born of big nasties on both lines, with a legit running back, and a sprinkle of pedestrian QB play.

What was the run to pass ratio yesterday?

Then ask yourself what it would’ve been with Alex. 

Boom, just blew your mind. 

1 hour ago, wit33 said:

The use of word “great” is an attempt to deviate from my consistent message of set of intangibles Smith provides. 

For which you then fail to provide anything of substance about what these intangibles even are, much less how they positively effect the team.

1 hour ago, wit33 said:

Alex this year complimented and contributed to team wins this year, some more than others. Smith helped establish a brand of football— smash mouth football. This is wasn’t going to lead to a Super Bowl, so I’d never use the word GREAT for Smith or team this year. 

Ok, full stop. Alex has NOTHING to do with Adrian Peterson getting signed off the street and showing everyone that he can still play. And you're going to give Smith credit for it? Seriously? Pathetic.

1 hour ago, wit33 said:

I will not hide from fact that the team had an identity each game. The impact of this variable is huge when you’re an average to above average team lumped in with 15-20 other teams. Once again, great wouldn’t be word I’d use for this team, but a playoff run was a strong possibility. Less now. 

Word salad. We're not a good football team, so we look better against bad teams and bad against good teams.

1 hour ago, wit33 said:

God, you're reaching.

1 hour ago, wit33 said:

I did wish Gruden would’ve embraced the smash mouth style of football a bit more, though he did try to acknowledge all the positives of Alex each time when commenting on things passing game needed to improve, but that gets disregarded. 

Again, trying to sell Smith as a reason for "smash mouth football" is about as disingenuous as you can be. And you really believe "coach speak"? If so, I have some bad news for you. Coaches are not going to be truthful in public if they have serious issues with their starting QB.

1 hour ago, wit33 said:

Alex is a predictable variable at the QB spot. This has tremendous value in the NFL. Not a lot of teams have this. 

No, not really. Predictably good has tremendous value, predictably bad, does not. You really don't seem to understand nuances well.

1 hour ago, wit33 said:

Nah man, I was okay with the move coming in and have stated he’s average to above average at best. Been super consistent with this. My expectation for season is driven by winning/playoffs. Smith was contributing to accomplishing this. Yes, some games more than others (True for most guys grouped in his tier, whatever tier of QBs you or anyone puts him in). 

Well, you're not really showing that. You're showing a constant need to defend Smith at all costs, and not really showing that you understand nuances. You just attributed Smith to smash mouth football, which has nothing to do with a QB, it's a OL, RB thing. So, I don't think you really have deep thoughts on this, but rather will use "intangibles" (because they are by definition not tangible) to point at what Smith is doing well, and why he's doing well, while he failed in all other things tangible, except INT's. It's a weak attempt because all tangible evidence says he was not playing well, so you go to a bunch of "stuff" that not only is not defined, he doesn't look to be doing a lot of those either.

1 hour ago, wit33 said:

Thats fine, I’m okay with saying other units have lead the way. I will also say Alex has contributed to the team’s success and helped establish an identity/brand of football for the 2018 season. Not at all inconsistent with what he’s done for last half of his career. 

Again, Alex has nothing to do with smash mouth football. So, what other identity/brand has he contributed to? Ultra-conservative? Playing scared?

18 hours ago, wit33 said:

Why not let my entire thought be present in your response, even you choose to isolate a piece to respond to? Genuinely curious, not attempting to be snarky. 

Not sure what you mean the part where I said "great"?  Great was meant as an expression -- all is great with...  It doesn't mean literally great.  You know I didn't mean that I thought you thought he was playing great.    So I just ignored it and dealt with the actual argument.  I've read enough from you to know that you think he hasn't played hot but his version of not hot equals winning football regardless.  And we are all missing it because of intangibles that are alluding us but you are on top of.   And I think that's part of your point about speaking in nuance.  😀

Peterson resurgence is being a top 20 back, let’s not go overboard, but yes, Alex and the offense NEEDED a top 20 back to start the year. 

If you are going to highlight Alex for smash mouth football -- that's you linking him to other units and players that are playing that way and in that type of style.  Are Peterson, Scherff, Payne, etc smash mouth players?  Yes, does that have anything to do with Alex?  No.  I understand what you might be trying to say which is ball control relies on the running game and defense and if you let them lead the way then a game manager type could help that along.  That's true but you needed the horses otherwise you could get smoked playing that way.   Alex himself doesn't typify to me smash mouth.   Smash mouth style QB -- maybe Cam?

Your boy Finlay was beginning to see the light. :) 

Finlay's position and he wrote an article about it today is that they can win with either QB its just a different approach.  But I don't give a rats behind about Finlay's position.  My point was Finlay was referring to the coaching staff's position.

Its a non discussion for me if trying to compare Colt to Alex and let’s me know the level of disdain you have for Alex lol. Cool. 

Who are the two QBs on the roster right now?  Who else do you want me to compare Colt and Alex to at the moment -- Mahomes, RG3?  

That's the 2nd go from you going over the top on my position about Alex.   You can sell me as being the emotional one about Alex but you are as emotional as anyone about the dude on this thread.   And I'd say easily the most persistent and immovable.  Some of the most ardent Alex off season supporters and for that matter critics have shifted some of their positions including me.  But you've been the constant on this thread.  So when you sell your consistency, I'll give you that. 

I live in nuance lol

You dont agree with the nuances I share, that’s cool. Disclaimers, huh? 

I don't really see much nuance from you in your argument.   By disclaimers what you are doing on it is selling hard that Alex is a major part of why this team is winning.  And you'll make the point over and over again and will argue with anyone about it.  You'll say it a little different each time.  And, you clearly care about the point a lot.   When cornered you'll admit hey I didn't say he was playing well or maybe even a major part of why they are winning.  That's not nuance to me but just covering every side of the argument. 

You talk about intangibles that you typically don't explain aside from usually suggest its veteran savvy as to managing a game while discounting flagrant mistakes that get in the way of that argument. 

The "nuance" IMO is much more in the people arguing your point which is factoring the actual play of the other units and highlighting them.  Game by game. Nuance IMO is about going through the actual games and saying well what were the key ingredients in that specific victory.

I've said multiple times if you or whomever want to make the case that its better to have a mediocre QB who doesn't turn the ball over versus a mediocre one who does, i get that point -- but you don't seem to want to accept the label of hey yeah if we are stuck with mediocrity than that's the best version of it -- even though you agree that he played mediocre.  That's not nuance to me but persistence in wanting your notions about Alex and the contract to be proven right no matter what happens. 

What was the run to pass ratio yesterday?

Then ask yourself what it would’ve been with Alex. 

Boom, just blew your mind. 

Almost 2:1 pass to run ratio.  Does it blow my mind that Jay trusts Colt to throw the ball that much more than Alex?  Honestly, it does a little.  Want to see some thing that will blow your mind?  The Cowboys scored on the first possession -- check to see how many times Alex has come back this season from a deficit.  

Edit:  as for Finlay coming around.  Let me restate, don't care about his opinion i just care about what he says he learned Jay's opinion is.  but to play along I just listened to Sheehan's podcast where Finlay is interviewed, in it he actually sees some good in what he saw from Colt and goes when you watch Alex Smith, it doesn't even look like an NFL offense with him at the helm.  So I gather I don't think he's coming around that much. 

It doesn't matter that Colt throws "ducks".  What matters is the accuracy of those ducks.  I sort of remembered an article on Peyton Manning and the "ducks" he threw so I looked it up.  All his receivers said it was where the duck passes landed that mattered.  https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/peyton-manning-on-throwing-ducks-i-believe-it-to-be-true/

So let's see what happens here with Colt after a week of reps with the number 1's.  I think Jay needs to call a more balanced game as well.  Let;s see a bit more Bibb's running, more screens and see where we land.  I hope we get CT back.

Archived