Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Game of Thrones Season 8

Voice_of_Reason

9 minutes ago, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

You are so the guy that only wanted Yoda in a light saber battle, and then got Yoda in a light saber battle and hated it.

What exactly did you want? The Night King wins and then Cersei beats him in single combat?

"I wanted more!"

No one wanted two episodes of that.

no, I never wanted yoda in a lightsaber battle. And yes I hated that. 

I didn't hate the WW fight with the Thenn and Jon at Hardhome. I wanted some form of payoff to the villain they’ve been building for 8 seasons toward, which is supposedly the greatest threat the world has ever known that mysteriously disappeared 2,000 years ago and now mysteriously returns only to die immediately. 

Now they’re gone and we don’t know where they went, why they came back, what they wanted, why Bran was so important to them or anything else. They showed up, walked around and then were killed by some deus ex machina overpowered Arya flying thru the air nonsense 

I don’t see how this is satisfying to anyone that was followed or loved this story since the beginning 

Edited by Momma There Goes That Man
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

no, I never wanted yoda in a lightsaber battle. And yes I hated that. 

I didn't hate the WW fight with the Thenn and Jon at Hardhome. I wanted some form of payoff to the villain they’ve been building for 8 seasons toward, which is supposedly the greatest threat the world has ever known that mysteriously disappeared 2,000 years ago and now mysteriously returns only to die immediately. 

Now they’re gone and we don’t know where they went, why they came back, what they wanted, why Bran was so important to them or anything else. They showed up, walked around and then were killed by some deus ex machina overpowered Arya flying thru the air nonsense 

I don’t see how this is satisfying to anyone that was followed or loved this story since the beginning 

Because it's a zombie movie in the middle of the war of the roses. Zombies don't have an agenda. Zombies attack and attack and then either eat everybody or die.

They've been pretty clear from the get go that there is no greater reason for the White Walkers. They just are.

Did you want the Night King to speak?

• Haha 3

NK, surrounding by the White Walkers, approaches Bran. Bran is helpless and weak.

NK smiles.

NK: Hello, old bird man. Winter has c-c-c-c-come.

Bran: You speak. And in catch-phrases.

NK: Oh, yes, old friend. I speak very well as you know.

Bran: As I know?

NK: Surely you remember during the time of the fourth one-eyed-raven.

Bran: I've only gone back like 400 years. When was that?

NK: (Laughs) Sure...and reveal my age? Tut. Tut.

Bran: Why do you sound like Charles Nelson Reilly?

NK: It's not important. So you don't remember Sheiia.

Bran: Shelia?

NK; Shelia.

Bran: No, I do don't.

NK: She was the prettiest thing in old of New Town.

Bran: You mean Old Town.

NK: Not then it wasn't. Your predecessor swooped in with his olive oil voice and guina charm and stole her away.

Bran: Johnny Fontaine stole your girl?

NK: No, the Raven did. You did. Whatever you are. It's your fault.

Bran: This is all over a girl?

NK: Guilty as charged.

Bran: This all seems a little extreme.

NK: Oh, I'll show you extreme.

Reaches for sword.

Arya: Surprise, ****es.

NK: Shelia! Noooooooooooo!!!!!!

/Credits

• Like 1
  • Haha 8

25 minutes ago, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

Because it's a zombie movie in the middle of the war of the roses. Zombies don't have an agenda. Zombies attack and attack and then either eat everybody or die.

They've been pretty clear from the get go that there is no greater reason for the White Walkers. They just are.

I think the backstory for the Night King is meant for the prequel series they are developing.

But the Night King death scene is by far the most comically bad death in this show.

We've seen some incredible death scenes in this show for important characters, from the Red Wedding, to Cersei blowing up the Sept of Baelor and Tommen jumping to his death and then Hodor dying while blocking a door.

And then we get Arya jumping out of nowhere to stab the big baddie even though he's surrounded by his army of zombies and incest baby-demons. This will always be the most comical nonsense scene of the entire show.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

@No Excuses I disagree. I think they strongly hinted at her ghosting in there. The wind blowing that generals hair as he glanced toward the camera. I think she may have snuck in, assassin style until the very end. I think it was great effect. I enjoyed it. 

Yeah but a he’s not some ninja assassin. That has never been established before. she can steal faces of dead people and mimic them as a sort of charm. That’s not what this is since she legit just ran past everybody. 

48 minutes ago, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

For wights that’s fine. The WW and NK are  not zombies. Zombies don’t have desires which is what Bran said they did. Zombies don’t intelligently leave dismembered bodies in specific patterns mimicking the religion of their creator. Zombies aren’t patient or strategic or able to give orders etc 

At this point he shouldn’t have spoken but that’s why Bran could have been important being that he has some connection with the NK as the 3ER and a longtime adversary according to him. Plus he could go back in time and actually fill us in on this type of stuff 

if they wanted the WW threat to just be mindless zombies they should have changed the show up from the very beginning scene. Literally the first scene of the series showed they weren’t mindless and were up to something. Since then it’s been steadily building to this one moment and bam, ninja Arya fast as the ****ing wind runs by everyone and Lebron jumps in the air to defeat him. 

Hell just have Jon beat him in a sword fight inside a ring of dragon fire or in the godswood. 

As straight forward as that would have been at least it would make sense and wouldn’t be shock for the sake of shock 

Edited by Momma There Goes That Man

1 minute ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

Yeah but a he’s not some ninja assassin. That has never been established before. she can steal faces of dead people and mimic them as a sort of charm. That’s not what this is since she legit just ran past everybody. 

Disagree with this a bit. It may not had been explicit that she was ninja like but Jaqen seemed to be ninja like when he did Arya's bidding after she saved him. 

2 minutes ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

For wights that’s fine. The WW and NK are  not zombies. Zombies don’t have desires which is what Bran said they did. Zombies don’t intelligently leave dismembered bodies in specific patterns mimicking the religion of their creator. Zombies aren’t patient or strategic or able to give orders etc 

So you wanted him to talk. I thought my dialogue was excellent.

4 minutes ago, Hersh said:

Disagree with this a bit. It may not had been explicit that she was ninja like but Jaqen seemed to be ninja like when he did Arya's bidding after she saved him. 

And she bailed before she ever finished her training 

2 minutes ago, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

So you wanted him to talk. I thought my dialogue was excellent.

I edited my other post but not he shouldn’t have talked if they went this long without him speaking 

1 minute ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

And she bailed before she ever finished her training 

I edited my other post but not he shouldn’t have talked if they went this long without him speaking 

So, how the hell do you get this backstory you want then?

Also, am I the only one who remembers that we got the back story?

The Children of the Forest people needed a monster to beat the humans so they tortured and killed the Night King, and - wa la - he wants revenge. He has a hard-on for Bran, because he hates mopey emo people, and - honestly - who can blame him?

There's no great strategy with him. He's gathered up a zillion corpses and just uses them in overwhelming numbers to get what he wants, which is more corpses.

Asking why he does it is like asking why "Death" does it. He's a natural element. Too many comic book movies, not enough European films about existentialism. That's your problem.

1 hour ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

This is a big disappointment too. The NK and the WW have done nothing but walk around and look moody the entire series. You had to think there would be some payoff. Some battle with their lances and swords since we actually now have weapons they can’t shatter but nope. They just walk around, do nothing and then don’t stop the one person actually sneaking up on the NK. 

Seriously even my girlfriend said this, the only time one of them did something was fight Jon beyond the wall at Hardhome right? Really actually kinda pissed we never saw the NK fight. 

42 minutes ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

There was an overhead shot of the NK plus entourage entering the godswood. The path seemed narrow, I don’t think she ran past them. I believe NK was at 12 o’clock of the entourage and Arya was between 2 and 3 o’clock of them.

https://ew.com/tv/2019/04/29/game-of-thrones-melisandre-carice-van-houten-battle-interview/

Melisandre actress Carice van Houten on that Game of Thrones Winterfell battle

https://ew.com/tv/2019/04/29/game-of-thrones-winterfell-battle-where-are-the-ice-spiders/

Game of Thrones showrunners: Why Winterfell battle didn’t have ice spiders

Edited by visionary

38 minutes ago, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

So, how the hell do you get this backstory you want then?

Also, am I the only one who remembers that we got the back story?

The Children of the Forest people needed a monster to beat the humans so they tortured and killed the Night King, and - wa la - he wants revenge. He has a hard-on for Bran, because he hates mopey emo people, and - honestly - who can blame him?

There's no great strategy with him. He's gathered up a zillion corpses and just uses them in overwhelming numbers to get what he wants, which is more corpses.

Asking why he does it is like asking why "Death" does it. He's a natural element. Too many comic book movies, not enough European films about existentialism. That's your problem.

You get the backstory thru the most powerful human alive that can see every moment from the beginning of time to the present. 

I get what they went with. The NK is just hell bent on revenge and killing everyone. He’s Frankenstein’s monster out of control and on the warpath to fulfill his prime directive. That’s probably more in line with the book version of the WW actually. But If that’s what you want, there are certain choices you make that undercut that throughout 8 seasons such as showing them sentient, taking their time, strategizing on attacks, designing ridiculously elaborate signs using the remains of your victims. Victims you specifically chose not to turn into more members of your army just to make these signs. The fact they were defeated and disappeared only to come back. That they made a deal with a human like craster. That they had some ice fortress in the land of always winter. That for some reason they want to kill the 3 ER. On and on. 

So dont build this stuff up for 8 seasons if they’re just going to not matter or have much of a role in the story at all. 

I sure did love how TLOTR spent 3 movies building up Sauron and his army of orcs getting larger and larger only for Pip to magically appear on top of the tower in Mordor and kill him by throwing a rock at his big eyeball while Aragorn screamed at a cave troll. 

2 hours ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

I get that but if that’s not the case why are they even there? Literally the only chance they have of losing is if a bunch of WW die and this their wights or the NK dies and then everyone dies. 

Why would the NK even risk it? He’s literally the only chance for defeat and he’d risk it to a stray arrow? For what? For Bran? Because he’s overconfident? We don’t know any of that because they character has never been developed and the questions have never been addressed. 

Which is why this stuff doesnt doesn’t hold up to scrutiny 

I'm pretty sure they covered why they were after Bran and why they were raiding the south.  It's their whole purpose.  Whether it's worth the risk is a judgement call, just as whether Cersei should risk blowing up the Sept, or Dany should risk fighting for the Throne, they apparently felt it was worth it to get what they wanted.

I've already touched on the overconfidence part.  If I was the NK and I know that I am our only weakness, I stay as far away as possible until the war is won.  But again overconfidence can kill you.  History has thousands of examples of overconfidence changing the outcome so not sure why it's portrayal here is so implausible.

As for the entire backstory, there is value in leaving some things to viewers imaginations.  It appears that unless you know every single fact in one of the largest fantasy worlds means that they failed.  Even Tolkien didn't explain everything.  Many viewers don't need to be spoonfed every single aspect.  It allows room for fan theory.  It's like some people who have images in their mind of what their favorite character may look like are sometimes disappointed when a movie is made that fills that role with someone that doesn't match that imagined image.

Looking back, there really should have been an episode in one of the earlier seasons that is just Bran going back in time to REALLY dig into the Night King's story. I loved yesterday's episode don't get me wrong but I feel like it'd have been even sweeter if we really knew NK more than just big evil destructive guy. Like what Thanos was in Avengers.

I hope they shine some light and gives some explanations on some things that happened next episode. And literally I mean shine some light in the show because I couldn’t see anything even in a pitch black room 

4 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Looking back, there really should have been an episode in one of the earlier seasons that is just Bran going back in time to REALLY dig into the Night King's story. I loved yesterday's episode don't get me wrong but I feel like it'd have been even sweeter if we really knew NK more than just big evil destructive guy. Like what Thanos was in Avengers.

That’s a spin-off ain’t it