Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NYMAG: Who is QAnon? The Storm Conspiracy, Explained

No Excuses

ok... i was on Facebook (on a page for Far Side comics), where someone posted an ambiguously political cartoon.   There were something like 100 of the expected whining back and forth responses ... but about 20% just said: 

"3"

and those 3's all came from poster-boy q-anon type profiles, and were all "liked" by 20 or so other q-anon-types... 

does "3"  mean something to the anointed?   and if so, what?

23 minutes ago, mcsluggo said:

ok... i was on Facebook (on a page for Far Side comics), where someone posted an ambiguously political cartoon.   There were something like 100 of the expected whining back and forth responses ... but about 20% just said: 

"3"

and those 3's all came from poster-boy q-anon type profiles, and were all "liked" by 20 or so other q-anon-types... 

Qocaine is a helluva drug....

• Like 2

On 12/2/2020 at 11:44 AM, mcsluggo said:

"3"

I don't know, but my Qanon facebook buddy is now sharing a bunch of stuff from E.

When I asked if Q has now become the letter E, his response was "E is leading this part of the operation".

Oy vey.

The men behind QAnon

For nearly three years, QAnon followers have been feverishly deciphering thousands of cryptic clues and predictions posted online by the shadowy persona of "Q" at the center of a metastasizing movement that experts say is the first far-right extremist conspiracy theory in the modern era to penetrate mainstream American culture and Washington politics.

Yet, a consensus of leading researchers and critics who study and debunk QAnon disinformation told ABC News that a key to identifying "Q" has been hiding in plain sight for years -- on a pig farm south of Manila in the Philippines -- at least until recently.

The rapid online growth of QAnon since early spring -- and a series of trolling incidents that surged through Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and TikTok before those platforms began banning QAnon groups and hashtags this summer -- has sharpened focus on the forces behind this alternative reality game-like phenomenon.

At least 24 candidates who have "endorsed or given credence to the conspiracy theory or promoted QAnon content" -- 22 Republicans and two independents -- have secured a spot on the ballot in the 2020 congressional elections, according to the media watchdog Media Matters, though it remains unclear how many could actually win their races. Last month, one candidate who pollsters say is almost certain to win her heavily GOP district in Georgia, Marjorie Taylor Greene, appeared to rescind her previous support for QAnon, telling Fox News that "once I started finding misinformation, I decided that I would choose another path."

People who believe in QAnon conspiracies have also been associated with a number of strange and disconcerting real-life incidents in recent years, including a man using an armored truck to block traffic on the Hoover Dam in 2018, and another man accused of fatally shooting alleged New York Gambino mob boss Francesco "Franky Boy" Cali last year because, according to court records, he believed Cali that was part of the "deep state." In June, a New York judge found the suspect mentally unfit for trial and transferred to a mental health facility for further evaluation, the Staten Island Advance reported.

In 2018, NBC News disinformation beat reporters tracked the initial spread of the QAnon phenomenon to a handful of conspiracy theorists from YouTube and 4chan who banded together and used social media to amplify an obscure thread of political conspiracy to a far larger audience.

The two Americans most clearly associated with the author of thousands of "Q drops" dating back to October 2017 are James Arthur Watkins, 56, who gained control in 2015 of the controversial anonymous message board 8chan, and his son, Ronald Watkins, former 8chan administrator and current administrator of its successor, the Watkins-owned 8kun.

Since 2001, Watkins has been living in the Philippines, according to Philippines immigration records obtained by ABC News.

"If he's not 'Q' himself, he can find out who 'Q' is at any time," said Fredrick Brennan, the creator of 8chan and Watkins' former business partner.

Click on the link for the full article

Tinfoil gloves: why has MMA become a breeding ground for QAnon?

There was anger on the streets of Huntington Beach.

At the intersection of Main Street and Pacific Coast Highway near the picturesque pier, hundreds gathered on 30 November in defiance of California’s coronavirus curfew, which prohibits all “non-essential work, movement and gatherings” between 10pm and 5am until 21 December across most of the state. The so-called “curfew breakers” protest brought together a collection of coronavirus truthers, anti-maskers, and those who remain convinced that Donald Trump won the 2020 presidential election.

Among those gathered at the rally were former UFC champion Tito Ortiz, who was recently elected to Huntington Beach city council, despite a lack of any political or legislative experience. The fighter carried an American flag over his shoulder and stood among the raucous group, which bore signs such as “COVID is a SCAM,” and “Disobey the lockdown.”

“The public spoke and now it’s time for the people to take over before we lose our constitutional rights,” Ortiz said during an interview at the rally. “I know the ins and outs of what’s going on before the rest of people with their 9-to-5 jobs. At the end of the day, electoral votes – it’s a fraud.”

When asked about The Great Reset, a term coined by the World Economic Forum to describe the rebuilding of economic sustainably following the Covid-19 pandemic and which has since become a cornerstone of anti-lockdown sentiment, Ortiz said he believes the plan is part of a ‘globalist’ conspiracy to diminish American freedoms. Ortiz said the plan would have already have taken hold had it not been for one man.

“Donald Trump is that person,” he said.

Ortiz’s interview was littered with references to the QAnon conspiracy theory, and how it is likely to influence his newfound position of power. 

Click on the link for the full article

• 2 weeks later...