Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The XXIII Olympic Winter Games In PyeongChang

PleaseBlitz

8 hours ago, Kilmer17 said:

I think nbc et al coverage has been horrific. Only two channels showing events when you have that many outlets?  Once every four years.  Can’t the rerun of shark tank be replaced with biathlon or ski jump or whatever.  There’s plenty to watch.  But tonight at 10pm we got a choice of pairs skating or women’s hockey (and not the USA). 

Terrible

They have the same complaints every 2-4 years and yet they still do the same horrific coverage.  They also inject too many fluff pieces.  If people want to watch those pieces, they could do a dedicated channel just for that.  There are too many sports (winter or summer) and NBC has too many networks to not show highlights, replays, and live coverage of the various sports.  At best you get two channels and one is focused on a really long sport that doesn't appeal to everyone (figure skating).

For those complaining on judged events, not every sport can be based on a point/time system and the athletic skill required for the sport is impressive.  I don't care to watch figure skating and don't get the way certain snowboard moves are rated higher, but it is impressive when they pull off some of those moves and it takes considerable skill/talent/practice.  What is your suggested alternative in the judged sports?  

35 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6NTcNFjVjE

Shaun White's gold medal run.  ****ing epic.  

That whole Finals run was awesome last night, mega drama with Shaun taking an early lead then the Japanese boarder taking it, then Shaun falling on his 2nd run, then the gamesmanship and drama of waiting for the perfect wind...then BOOM!!!

Everyone knew Bode Miller was an asshole from when he was competing.  Why would he get hired for this job in the first place?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/early-lead/wp/2018/02/15/bode-miller-apologizes-for-linking-an-olympic-skiers-struggles-to-her-marriage/?utm_term=.8238f485e170

In the midst of the men’s downhill Alpine skiing event Thursday at the Olympics, Bode Miller wound up apologizing to NBC viewers for something he said during the first run of the women’s giant slalom earlier in the day. The six-time medal winner, in his first stint as an announcer at the Games, had linked the struggles on the slope of Austria’s Anna Veith to the fact that she got married in 2016.

A 2014 gold medalist in the Super-G and a 2015 world champion in that event and the giant slalom, Vieth suffered severe knee injuries that caused her to miss the 2015-16 season and much of the next. She has had just two top-three finishes in World Cup events since then, and she posted the 15th-fastest time in Thursday’s first run.

As Veith was coming down the slope in PyeongChang, NBC announcer Dan Hicks noted that she has “not been the same” since her injuries. “The knee is certainly an issue,” Miller replied. “I want to point out she also got married.

“And it’s historically very challenging to race on the World Cup with a family or after being married,” Miller, 40, continued.

“Not to blame the spouses, but I just want to toss that out there, that it could be her husband’s fault.”

:rofl89:

The reporters at the Olympics doing interviews really suck. Multiple times I’ve seen questions to athletes “well, if your mom (or dad) were alive, what do you think they would say?”

It’s such a BS question. Let the athlete be in the moment without your dumb **** debbie downer question.

Just now, Hersh said:

The reporters at the Olympics doing interviews really suck. Multiple times I’ve seen questions to athletes “well, if your mom (or dad) were alive, what do you think they would say?”

It’s such a BS question. Let the athlete be in the moment without your dumb **** debbie downer question.

NBC has been straight gatbage. A significant gaffe everyday. It’s embarrassing that theyve had years to prepare that they just suck. Seriously makes me upset. 

39 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

Wait wut????

im hosting an Olympics watching party tomorrow. This sounds potentially helpful. 

I assumed it is like any of those game where if they say "Nordic Vikings" you have to take a drink.  So any time you're watching the biathalon or downhill you're going to be drinking a bit.

:)

1 hour ago, PleaseBlitz said:

NBC has been straight gatbage. A significant gaffe everyday. It’s embarrassing that theyve had years to prepare that they just suck. Seriously makes me upset. 

The other nonsense I’ve seen is reporters asking if the pressure was too much for them or if they essentially choked. As if the athletes just getting down with an event need it. Not even a chance to change or get their thoughts together.

16 minutes ago, zoony said:

Wait, why does the trump crowd hate Vonn again?  This is all difficult to follow

Asked a leading question about representing 'murica under multiple presidents and what it means when Trump is the president, she said that she "hopes to represent the people of the united states, not the president. I take the Olympics very seriously and what they mean and what they represent, what walking under our flag means in the opening ceremony," she added."I want to represent our country well. I don't think that there are a lot of people currently in our government that do that."

That wasn't controversial enough for the journalist so Vonn was asked if she'd accept an invitation to Trump's White House and Vonn said "definitely not"

Trumps minions demand blind loyalty.

And never mind the Bo vs Thorpe analysis ... where's the Trump vs Kim Jong Il athletic debate thread?

On 2/15/2018 at 4:36 PM, PleaseBlitz said:

Everyone knew Bode Miller was an asshole from when he was competing.  Why would he get hired for this job in the first place?

:rofl89:

It's sort of ironic. I always thought of Miller as a supremely gifted athlete but somewhat less than blessed in the department of mental capacity. So it was a pleasant surprise to find he was really a pretty good commentator. Or, I found him to be one anyway. 

Archived