Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Per Russini, Gruden will be back for 2018

Reaper Skins

54 minutes ago, FS#21 said:

The problem is we don't have an NFL Caliber, Professional Front Office that is lead by a real General Manager and it will never happen under Dan Snyder. 

Correct

26 minutes ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

What the hell is a gank? 

Im assuming he meant skank?

Well, it’s official.  8-8 +\- 1 game in 2018, assuming Cousins stays.  Which only will happen with a tag. 

Thats what Gruden is.  And don’t be fooled, he’s the defacto roster picker.  He selects the final 53.  Bruce just says “ok” to whatever he wants. So the team will look very similar, with similar results.

I’ve said for a while that I don’t think he should have been fired.  Mostly because the injuries were a real thing and I don’t trust Bruce/Dan not to pick the next Zoen/Spurrier.  

This is group of clowns hired Joe Barry, the guy with the worst DC resume in the history of the league and thought they were being smart.  So I’m sure there’s a fluky WR coach from the Tampa Mafia that they can’t wait to hire as Jay’s replacement.

But the future is already written.  I’ll feel happy we won’t be bottom of the barrel, and probably not an embarrassment.

6 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Well, it’s official.  8-8 +\- 1 game in 2018, assuming Cousins stays.  Which only will happen with a tag. 

Thats what Gruden is.  And don’t be fooled, he’s the defacto roster picker.  He selects the final 53.  Bruce just says “ok” to whatever he wants. So the team will look very similar, with similar results.

I’ve said for a while that I don’t think he should have been fired.  Mostly because the injuries were a real thing and I don’t trust Bruce/Dan not to pick the next Zoen/Spurrier.  

This is group of clowns hired Joe Barry, the guy with the worst DC resume in the history of the league and thought they were being smart.  So I’m sure there’s a fluky WR coach from the Tampa Mafia that they can’t wait to hire as Jay’s replacement.

But the future is already written.  I’ll feel happy we won’t be bottom of the barrel, and probably not an embarrassment.

Acceptance is good.

1 hour ago, Reaper Skins said:

Keeping Gruden makes us more attractive to Cousins.

Keeping Cousins makes us more attractive to potential free agents.

No point in needlessly twiddling our thumbs with the amount of necessary evaluations that have to be made this offseason 

Keeping Cousins makes us more attractive to FA, but I'm not convinced keeping Gruden makes us more attractive to Cousins.  Status quo after 9-7, 8-7-1 and now 7-9 has to feel similar to Cousins as it does us.  Does next season with Gruden feel more attractive next year?

Now there are scheme related things that I'd agree could be more appealing, so a bit different for him.  However, he's been with multiple coaches (Head, OC, QB...), I think he'll want to go to the best situation.  

Outside a few teams that maintain elite levels with HoF QBs. 

Every good team maintains a consistency of 8-8 or 9-7. Depending on how a few games go, They hit the 11-12 wins mark. 

Consistently being 8-8,7-9,9-7 is a benchmark for keeping a sustainable culture in the NFL. This team has been a 3-13, 4-12 for so long. 

Next year will be very telling. Especially if Kirk is back. You really need to get a top running back in here to take advantage of Kirks strengths. 

Hopefully our most valuable assets on offense can play a minimal of 13 games. Instead of missing 2/3 of the season. 

45 minutes ago, William Barbour said:

Every good team maintains a consistency of 8-8 or 9-7. Depending on how a few games go, They hit the 11-12 wins mark. 

Consistently being 8-8,7-9,9-7 is a benchmark for keeping a sustainable culture in the NFL. This team has been a 3-13, 4-12 for so long. 

Found this wiki page of useless info that I thought was interesting. Shows that the Skins are one of 13 teams that have won 7 or more games in each of the past three years.  We could've been one of only seven that have won 8 or more in that timeframe if we had won today.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_current_National_Football_League_consecutive_playoff_appearances

If we're keeping this loser, can the front office at least make him get an OC? This guy had the WORST 3rd & short play calling Ive EVER seen in my 30+ years of watching football. And can we also have someone help him with choosing players who get playing time? If we go into next season with a RB equivalent to Rob Kelley as the starter again, Im ****ing boycotting.  

7 hours ago, TK said:

You go Dirty Di. "Breaking" the same story that blind squirrel Rappaport finally got right days ago. Anyone with a clue would have already known that Jay was never even on a hot seat after signing a 2 year extension before this season started. 

Del Río got canned after signing an extension previously no? 

7 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

I'd rather have Bruce saying OK to Jay than the opposite really.

10 hours ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

What the hell is a gank? 

"Gank" is a video game term, which means to take or steal something that doesn't belong to you.

It can also mean to kill a weaker opponent (in a video game) using underhanded means.

So the term is being ill-used here. :) 

I'm guessing that the poster that used the term was a Nickelodeon watcher at one time, because google says that the term "gank" was used routinely on the Nick series "Victorious" to describe ****y females, particularly one named Jade.

So there you go. :) 

My personal view is that the futures of Gruden and Cousins here are directly linked. If Gruden is set for 2018 I can't see that not including Cousins as his QB. Giving Gruden another QB to lead his team will result in failure greater than we have now. 

Gruden also needs to bring someone else in on the offensive side of the coaching staff to support him. 

1 hour ago, SkinsGuy said:

"Gank" is a video game term, which means to take or steal something that doesn't belong to you.

It can also mean to kill a weaker opponent (in a video game) using underhanded means.

So the term is being ill-used here. :) 

I'm guessing that the poster that used the term was a Nickelodeon watcher at one time, because google says that the term "gank" was used routinely on the Nick series "Victorious" to describe ****y females, particularly one named Jade.

So there you go. :) 

It was a hip hop term going back to the 80s/early 90s before modern video game culture adopted it.

"Yeah roll up the dank, and pour the drank
And watch your step (why?) 'cause Doggy's on the gank"

- Snoop Dogg, Who Am I, 1993

20 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN '74 said:

My personal view is that the futures of Gruden and Cousins here are directly linked. If Gruden is set for 2018 I can't see that not including Cousins as his QB. Giving Gruden another QB to lead his team will result in failure greater than we have now. 

Gruden also needs to bring someone else in on the offensive side of the coaching staff to support him. 

Cavanaugh is a fantastic OC, but he doesn't really get to perform that role with this team, despite his title. Gruden definitely needs to give up playcalling and OC responsibilities. He has demonstrated, rather convincingly, that he cannot manage both HC and OC responsibilities. Maybe if he just focuses on being a HC, he can, for instance (and by some miracle), learn clock management. Time and time again, he just makes stupid decisions that any 4-year coach shouldn't be making when it comes to the clock.

Maybe putting out that "Gruden will be back" is a way to up the ante in case Cincy does come calling. In a perfect world, the Bengals want him back, and they take him. But then again, that leaves Rasputin to choose our next HC, and that's not a prospect that gives me any kind of comfort at all.

Another year of the coach's job status having to be reaffirmed.  Never a good sign.  

43 minutes ago, skinzplay said:

Maybe putting out that "Gruden will be back" is a way to up the ante in case Cincy does come calling. In a perfect world, the Bengals want him back, and they take him. But then again, that leaves Rasputin to choose our next HC, and that's not a prospect that gives me any kind of comfort at all.

It would be very Redskins of them to let McVay walk and then move on from Gruden.  

All things considered, probably a good thing that Gruden stays, cuz it's gonna be a tight market with all these vacancies and we'd be getting a late start.

38 minutes ago, skinzplay said:

Maybe putting out that "Gruden will be back" is a way to up the ante in case Cincy does come calling.

Or maybe they are just serious about bringing Gruden back.

No sideline plan.

No strings attached.

1 hour ago, justice98 said:

It was a hip hop term going back to the 80s/early 90s before modern video game culture adopted it.

You're probably right.

Everything I wrote about the term, I got off of google. :) 

5 hours ago, Wildbunny said:

I'd rather have Bruce saying OK to Jay than the opposite really.

Sure, but I'd rather see a GM who knows talent and how to build a team, working with the head coach, but having final roster authority so that they can "save" the coach from making bad long-term choices.  It also forces the coach to take on some projects and develop them.

It can't be a contentious relationship, and the two have to be on the same page.  You can't have a coach who wants to run a WCO with a GM who prefers a Ground-em and Pound-em scheme.  That won't work.  

But the successful organizations (minus NE, but they are a special case) typically have a GM that has final roster say, and works with the HC.  There are always disagreements, but that's generally healthy.  

Archived