Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Per Russini, Gruden will be back for 2018

Reaper Skins

The Washington Redskins will retain head coach Jay Gruden. Ownership vocally informed the staff Gruden will be staying per sources

https://twitter.com/diannaESPN/status/947623881753407488?s=17

this is the right move IMO.  Glad they are starting early with the offseason moves. 

(PS I'm on a phone so not sure why the tweet won't embed...)

1 minute ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

January 1, 2019 statement from the Washington Redskins- "After the team showed so much progress in improving to an 8-8 record this season, we are going to stay the course and retain Jay Gruden for the 2019 season."

Don't mind Gruden staying as long as Allen goes.

HTTR 

Too bad. I'm extremely over Gruden and this whole regime under Allen. Our ceiling with Gruden and Cousins and a healthy team is 9-7 or so, maybe 10-6 if things break right and we have good offseasons. With Gruden and no Cousins, unless we luck into a rookie QB phenom, I shudder to think what our floor is. 

Most importantly, this team and rooting for it under Gruden just isn't fun. They're streaky in execution and effort. They are under-prepared and sloppy and undisciplined. 4 years in even with the same QB and offense we're pretty middle of the road. We flash and have hot streaks and great halves but that's about it. Numbers without wins to show for it. 

I'd rather have another year of Gruden than have him fired, yet Allen choose his successor. When Gruden is shown the door, let Allen leave with him. No more excuses next year. I don't care about the injuries. Other teams were decimated by injury, yet they were coached and managed far better than the Skins. The Vikings had their fair share of injury issues (including losing having to play a journeyman QB all season). But good coaching makes a hell of a difference.

3 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

Too bad. I'm extremely over Gruden and this whole regime under Allen. Our ceiling with Gruden and Cousins and a healthy team is 9-7 or so, maybe 10-6 if things break right and we have good offseasons. With Gruden and no Cousins, unless we luck into a rookie QB phenom, I shudder to think what our floor is. 

Most importantly, this team and rooting for it under Gruden just isn't fun. They're streaky in execution and effort. They are under-prepared and sloppy and undisciplined. 4 years in even with the same QB and offense we're pretty middle of the road. We flash and have hot streaks and great halves but that's about it. Numbers without wins to show for it. 

Could it be any more fitting that he came from Cincinnati? If any coach screamed "if everything goes right, I can go 9-7". it's Jay Gruden.

2 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

They improved to 8-8?

You might want to check the date on that "official statement".

I may have been too subtle on that crack.

4 minutes ago, veteranskinsfan said:

I would have waited at least a month before announcing that Gruden would be back.  After today's loss, Skins fans are not happy with Coach Gruden's performance.

Keeping Gruden makes us more attractive to Cousins.

Keeping Cousins makes us more attractive to potential free agents.

No point in needlessly twiddling our thumbs with the amount of necessary evaluations that have to be made this offseason 

7 minutes ago, veteranskinsfan said:

I would have waited at least a month before announcing that Gruden would be back.  After today's loss, Skins fans are not happy with Coach Gruden's performance.

Eh, doesn't matter what the fans think if they plan to keep him. Doesn't make sense to make the coach you're keeping sweat bullets or build his hope up that he gets to leave this **** hole.

I'm ok with this as well, if we get a true front office.  I think Gruden can do well.  It's not like we need a whole rebuild, the talent is here.  The first few games of the season showed what this team was capable of when healthy.  The D was stout, and the offense was looking good.  That all fell apart when the injuries mounted.  Not that it's an excuse, but its hard to fault the coaching staff for failing to hold together a team full of guys that will never see another snap of live action again. 

You go Dirty Di. "Breaking" the same story that blind squirrel Rappaport finally got right days ago. Anyone with a clue would have already known that Jay was never even on a hot seat after signing a 2 year extension before this season started. 

15 minutes ago, TK said:

You go Dirty Di. "Breaking" the same story that blind squirrel Rappaport finally got right days ago. Anyone with a clue would have already known that Jay was never even on a hot seat after signing a 2 year extension before this season started. 

Does ANYONE pay attention to anything this gank Russini says?

14 minutes ago, TK said:

Well, there is definitely no way a coach could get fired a year after signing an extension.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/21928301/oakland-raiders-fire-coach-jack-del-rio

Archived