Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Election 2018 Thread (An Adult Finally Has the Gavel)

PleaseBlitz

38 minutes ago, mistertim said:

When something has been shown to have a direct negative impact on the safety of others, that needs to be taken into account. 

certainly, didn't see him denying that

1 hour ago, mistertim said:

When something has been shown to have a direct negative impact on the safety of others, that needs to be taken into account. 

Well, unless the something that has been harmful is "getting shot". Then, the fact that it harms people is irrelevant. 

I appreciate the irony there ^

How about some more:

An Irish dude named Robert goes by the name of ‘Beto’, supports Latinos and is against building a wall, a Cuban guy named Rafael goes by ‘Ted’, has done little for Latinos and wants a wall.  

2 hours ago, LD0506 said:

some of them ARE talking about restricting voting to "white, male, Xtian landowners, you know, like the Founding Fathers meant it to be"

What Republicans have been talking about going that far? 

Not saying it isn't possible.  I just haven't seen one that dramatic yet.

A very cursory search yields up such disparate examples as these. Now yes, it is mostly the goofy fringe moonbats like King that come right out and say it, but it is being discussed and the fringes aren't the fringes anymore, they are snuggled right up next to the main party platform. Scary conversations in even darker places talk about repealing the 19th Amendment or even the Emancipation Proclamation, you can't act like it isn't happening.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-fix/wp/2016/11/28/steve-bannon-once-suggested-only-property-owners-should-vote-what-would-that-look-like/?utm_term=.3343c25251de

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2014/10/the-new-poll-tax/381791/

http://www.msnbc.com/msnbc/tea-party-congressman-ted-yoho-voting-suggestion#52273

45 minutes ago, LD0506 said:

A very cursory search yields up such disparate examples as these. Now yes, it is mostly the goofy fringe moonbats like King that come right out and say it, but it is being discussed and the fringes aren't the fringes anymore, they are snuggled right up next to the main party platform. Scary conversations in even darker places talk about repealing the 19th Amendment or even the Emancipation Proclamation, you can't act like it isn't happening.

So I read the articles and watched the video.  First, I think pretty much anything Bannon says should be dismissed.  This is a guy who was too crazy for Trump's people.  That should really tell you something.  Next, the Atlantic article begins with talking about a guy in Hong Kong.  Then goes on to mention the Romney "47%" comment and even acknowledges that Romney didn't suggest they not be allowed to vote.  And then goes on to show that some GOP members have mentioned that it used to be you had to be a landowner to vote and that meant you had some skin in the game (a point that I think is correct about skin in the game though ignore the real reason that it used to be that way was to keep blacks from voting).  The article then seems to say all this to make the point that voter ID laws disenfranchise the poor (which there is another thread for so I'm not going to say whether I agree or not).  This leads into the King video where he makes the point about landowners but is using it to justify a national sales tax (something else that is debatable on it's merits).  Your own article even says 

Philips, King, and Yoho are outliers. Most prominent Republicans would never propose that poor people be denied the franchise. 

None of your articles show anyone proposing to repeal the 19th Amendment or the Emancipation Proclamation.  Nor did they mention limiting voting to whites or males.  They didn't even propose limiting it to landowners.  They did talk about the history of it which is factually correct.  The closest I saw of someone proposing it is King and again, he seemed to be using that comparison to justify a national sales tax.

There was also the bit in the MSNBC article about uninformed voters.  And I agree that is an issue.  I'd be fine with some form of basic test before being allowed to vote.  For example, "what branch of the government does the President fall under?" I think would be a fine question.  If you can't even answer that, you are too dumb to vote.  And a question like that would probably have stopped enough idiots that Trump wouldn't have won.  I've long been for removing party affiliation from the ballot.  That way even if you wanted to vote straight party line, you'd have to do at least a minimum amount of research to find out who belongs to your party.  This would be even more difficult when voting for lower level elections.

The Dominionists have talked about invoking a Constitutional Convention for years, that would revoke our current Constitution and Amendments. They want a Christian, hyper patriarchal government.

That's why they have a big push to install Republican controlled state governorships and legislatures, so that they can invoke the Constitutional Convention. 

I have been reading about this for years, starting with the John Birch Society, the Tea Party, and and rest of the far right.

57 minutes ago, LadySkinsFan said:

The Dominionists have talked about invoking a Constitutional Convention for years, that would revoke our current Constitution and Amendments. They want a Christian, hyper patriarchal government.

That's why they have a big push to install Republican controlled state governorships and legislatures, so that they can invoke the Constitutional Convention. 

I have been reading about this for years, starting with the John Birch Society, the Tea Party, and and rest of the far right.

They are wanting to use the approved methods for change?

What kind of idiot does that?

Edit: Why does is seem Republicans always associating themselves with racists?

Another recent Horowitz tweet said: “Black Africans enslaved black Africans. America freed them sacrificing 350k mainly white Union lives. American blacks are richer, more privileged, freer than blacks anywhere in the world, including all black run countries.”

In yet another, he shared a Fox News story about a Dallas man arrested after reportedly traveling to Washington to kill “all white police” at the White House. “Meanwhile, the country’s only serious race war — against whites — continues,” Horowitz wrote.

A guy says this and you show up at his conference for four years?

WASHINGTON — In the five years since the U.S. Supreme Court struck down key parts of the Voting Rights Act, nearly a thousand polling places have been shuttered across the country, many of them in southern black communities.

The trend continues: This year alone, 10 counties with large black populations in Georgia closed polling spots after a white elections consultant recommended that they do so to save money. When the consultant suggested a similar move in Randolph County, pushback was enough to keep its nine polling places open.

But the closures come amid a tightening of voter ID laws in many states that critics view as an effort to make it harder for blacks and other minorities to vote – and, in Georgia specifically, the high-profile gubernatorial bid by a black woman.

The ballot in November features Stacey Abrams, a Democrat trying to become the first black woman elected governor in the United States, versus Brian Kemp, the Republican secretary of state who has led efforts in Georgia to purge voter rolls, slash early voting and close polling places.

Local officials across the country shuttered 868 polling places in the three years after the Supreme Court’s 2013 ruling, according to a 2016 report from the Leadership Conference Education Fund, the research arm of the Leadership Conference on Civil and Human Rights, a coalition of 200 civil rights groups.

Arizona, Louisiana and Texas, the report said, “have all made alarming reductions in polling places.”

“We are now seeing the fallout of that ruling,” said Kristen Clarke, the president and executive director of the Washington, D.C.-based Lawyers’ Committee for Civil Rights Under Law.

Read More: Across U.S., polling stations are slowly disappearing

11 minutes ago, StillUnknown said:

the KKK

He is already lobbying on their behalf 

32 minutes ago, BenningRoadSkin said:

The Roberts court and Roberts specifically is going to get crushed in the history books. It will be interesting to see if he recognizes this and changes course at all. 

there's a couple desantis clips of him giving lavish praise to horowitz and his organization, and acknowledging personal admiration for hororwitz, proud of having spoke at multiple related events over the years that ought to become good campaign fodder soon enough.....and the defense so far seems the familiar and lame "not responsible for the views of others"

i don't know if ronnie is a for-real racist or not, but certainly there's no hesitation among most r's running for office to shelter (even validate at times) and utilize that segment for their own ends these days

that could be a dem counterpoint when the r's go to the trope of dems soliciting a "flood of illegals" because the dems count on them for votes

"well you guys use the racists, so..."  :806:

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/money-and-elections-a-complicated-love-story/

How Money Affects Elections

This year, the money has been coming in and out of political campaigns at a particularly furious pace. Collectively, U.S. House candidates raised more money by Aug. 27 than House candidates raised during the entire 2014 midterm election cycle, and Senate candidates weren’t far behind. Ad volumes are up 86 percent compared to that previous midterm. Dark money — flowing to political action committees from undisclosed donors — is up 26 percent.

How strong is the association between campaign spending and political success? For House seats, more than 90 percent of candidates who spend the most win. From 2000 through 2016, there was only one election cycle where that wasn’t true: 2010. “In that election, 86 percent of the top spenders won,” said Sheila Krumholz, executive director of the Center for Responsive Politics, a nonpartisan research group that tracks campaign fundraising and spending.

This article goes back and forth about the importance of money in winning elections, with no clear takeaway.  An interesting read nonetheless. 

Archived